Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2018 9:28:22 PM EDT
I am looking to add night vision to an Aimpoint PRO I have had for quite some time now

I am not looking to break the bank, but still would like to have something durable and dependable.

Can anyone reccomend a good compatible night vision for the Aimpoint PRO.  I want something I can mount on the right directly behind the Aimpoint.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the night vision portion of the forum; it's located in the Armory section.   You will have better luck posting in a specific dedicated section of the forum rather than the general comments section.  Good luck!

NV Section
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There is tons of info in here I’d check the stickies and do some searches. This comes up constantly.   You’ll probably be better off with a laser.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Generally start looking at something called a PVS-14 with a mount for the rail behind the Aimpoint. I don't know if the Aimpoint pro has NV settings, but I know the H2, which isn't supposed to have any NV settings, seems to have the same number of NV settings as the T2.

Once you've priced up the PVS-14, you can get a good idea of what a head mounted / rifle-mounted kit is like, and it should work OK on anything up to 5.56mm. Don't go above that though.

After that, you can use the PVS-14 as a basis to compare with other NODs.

As suggested, lasers are another good option.

David.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
A budget of "not looking to break the bank" is pretty subjective and gives no real indication of what your budget actually is.

My suggestion would be to skip the weapon mounted NV, especially if you're on a budget. Why? Because if you're shooting at night, then you're moving at night which means you're going to need one on your head as well and means buying two units. Even without the budget I (and most others) prefer a weapon IR laser and NV on a helmet or skull cap.

For $2500-$3000 you can pick up a really nice new PVS-14 with a high quality automated tube and manual gain and a warranty. You can get used units for less but I always prefer buying new, just personal preference. For what most people want for used 14's that you have no idea who built it, what tube is in it, or anything else, you aren't much under what you can get new for.

If you can swing it, dual tubes are the way to go. Starting in the $6500 range you can start getting into some really nice stuff and they go on up above $10K.

Then get yourself a weapon mounted laser, I personally prefer the Dbal-D2 for a commercial unit which can be had in the $900 range, but there are other good units too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Pvs-14, helmet mounted. Peq-15 on weapon. The reasons have already been stated. The head mounted NV w Ir laser on weapon will be your best option.

Regards,
Doc
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer your question call TNVC or JRH Enterprise they both have ITT/Harris Gen 3 PVS 14 HP+ with 10 year warranties units that will perform extremely well in a near dark setting. That and a GI mount for @ 25.00 from ebay will mount directly behind your PRO, but depending on your rear sight you may need to remove it or use a riser.

No for the downside. As others have stated the 14 housing wasn't really designed to be weapons mounted and may crack from being weapons mounted. Also having it on your rifle limits you as far as seeing since you have to raise your rifle up and move it around to see which can get very tiring after a short period of time. Pointing your rig at something to see it may end up to be your dog, neighbor, hunting partner, family member etc which why a weapons mount is not a good idea. I do use one but only to align my IR laser to my red dot. It is possible to look through your red dot with your 14 mounted on the oppisite eye or even looking through your 14 by slightly canting your head sideways with your butt stock under your ear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a Black Optex PVS14 collimator on the EE for $550. Turns your PVS14 into a clip on!
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/For-Sale-Black-Optex-Zero-Lens-PVS14-Colliminator-Price-lowered/172-1806559/

Buy your PVS-14, buy the collimator, place in front of RDS/ACOG. Shoot hogs/targets/bad guys at night.

If I had any $ in my fun fund, I would be scraping the rest together instead of typing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top