Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2018 4:49:53 PM EDT
Howdy all.  Getting ready to start jumping in the NODS game  In the next month or 2 I'll be getting a PVS14 monocular.  I can get a D2 for under a grand right now.  Talk me out of it.  I'm not a door kicker...getting into to it to complement my thermal scope, hunting, toying around hiking and to put it in the SHTF toolbox if need ever arises.  I like cool toys that serve multiple purposes!

I like:

Ability to easily zero vis/IR lasers and possibly switch guns w/o much fuss
Damn good illumination
Everyone seems to speak very highly of it

What else should I consider?  Mawl $$ is not an option

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't care about the visible signature I don't think there is anything better for that price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha talk you out of a badda@@ laser no way! Buy it now before they sale out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It's big and heavy.

Just get a MAWL.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the same boat.  Can anyone speak to the ergonomics of the fire button being on the rear rather than on top like the A3 and other models?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
EDIT: NVM I thought you were asking about a different DBAL
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.  Can anyone speak to the ergonomics of the fire button being on the rear rather than on top like the A3 and other models?
View Quote
Before I bought a TAPS I used it the same way a lot of guys, who don’t trust tape switches,  use their white light. Just have it so you can activate the button with the tip of your thumb. This can be done if you use a vfg or c clamp style grip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ha talk you out of a badda@@ laser no way! Buy it now before they sale out.
View Quote
Under a grand?  THIS!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Had one for a couple of years. Love it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice laser. Do it
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My question is D2 vs. A3.  I'm leaning A3, due to be lighter and cheaper, and I kinda like the idea of zero glow laser illuminator.  I will have other stand-alone IR LED lights, but so far I haven't seen a laser based one in a handheld.

But is the output so much lower as to not be worth it?  D2 seems WAY more popular.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My question is D2 vs. A3.  I'm leaning A3, due to be lighter and cheaper, and I kinda like the idea of zero glow laser illuminator.  I will have other stand-alone IR LED lights, but so far I haven't seen a laser based one in a handheld.

But is the output so much lower as to not be worth it?  D2 seems WAY more popular.
View Quote
The a3 is cheaper than around $1000?  Serious question. Where at?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The a3 is cheaper than around $1000?  Serious question. Where at?
View Quote
DSG has had them on sale for under $1k several times.

But I sold my A3... The illumination was really useless by the time you get out to 100 yards and higher in most atmospheric conditions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
D2 Illuminator is only matched by the MAWL, A4, and Full Powered units.

The D2 really is insane. It’s only downside is the fact that it’s a fat pig.

D2s regularly go for $900-950 in the EE all day long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm new to night vision and I got to see a D2 in use this summer, looked awesome through my PVS14.

So I ordered one this weekend, can't wait to receive it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Best pistol laser/illuminator made (see avatar).
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine but only for outside use over 100 yards. In structures and short range most of the other units work well with a lot of weight savings. MAWL really is king though if you can swing the money.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I just picked up an FDE D2 on the EE for 900. Lightly used. I can’t wait to get it. I am still saving for my nvg’s but I’m compiling the things I will need for when I get them.

I will get a mawl at some point for sure; it will be used for my more tactical type rifles (if you want to call it that)... But... to get myself into the game and have a high performance unit I can use on my hunting rifles, which will be my primary use; I’m not sure there’s much of a better deal.

The varmints and predators don’t give a rat about a faint red glow. I’ve never had any problem with my UNV IR illuminator I use with my cheap digital nv scope spooking game, and its a decent size glow.

Also, I could care less about a couple ounces or an inch here/there on a hunting rifle.

Give some thought to your primary use for your first purchase. If it’s work, get a mawl. If it’s play get a D2, then have fun while you slowly save for the mawl. Then you have 2. That was my thought process at least.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Got it this afternoon.

Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Should have gotten mine also, but the post office pulled another lazy on me.  Was home all day, right before bed checked the door to see if they left it without knocking.  They left without knocking all right, but left the pickup slip, not the package..  You already climbed to the third floor, why not just bring the damn thing with you and knock?  Jesus it would take like an extra minute out of your day.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I recently got one, open box display model for $800 on ebay....

Awesome laser, its heavy, but not nearly as heavy as everyone makes it seem.  It is big though, visible green laser is nice.  Got a dirty  zero and hitting steel at 100 yards in seconds.

I didnt notice the whole "visible illuminator" everyone gripes about... maybe I didnt look close enough?

Quoted:
View Quote
The illuminator is so big/tall the button NEEDS to be on the back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I recently got one, open box display model for $800 on ebay....

Awesome laser, its heavy, but not nearly as heavy as everyone makes it seem.  It is big though, visible green laser is nice.  Got a dirty  zero and hitting steel at 100 yards in seconds.

I didnt notice the whole "visible illuminator" everyone gripes about... maybe I didnt look close enough?

The illuminator is so big/tall the button NEEDS to be on the back.
View Quote
It’s there, just not bad. I’m just stating what I’ve seen, not being a dick, but remember, before the MAWL the d2’s vis ir signature was downplayed downplayed downplayed....no big deal. Buy buy buy!

Now you can see it from space111!!1!1!!! (Engaging in hyperbole obviously) Get the MAWL even though, for most people, it’ll sit in the safe 95% of the time or get played with in the backyard like most peoples NV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top