Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2018 11:07:11 PM EDT
Thinking of upgrading. I have a pair of pvs-14's (green thin film).  I could keep them as spares, rehouse, or resell.

While I suspect PVS-31's are coolest, I am not worthy (mere mortal).  Sentinels were the latest greatest, but read a lot of talk about the newer RNVG (which might include a rehousing option).  On the flip side, have found almost nothing about the mini bnvg's.  Other than not being from TNVC, is there a reason there is no love?  Very light. flip up, remote battery ready, but they are center hinged.

anyway, suggestions and discussion appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Modarmory ic lightweight dual pvs-14 mount. Save money. The end.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been watching for real world reviews of RNVG but not much so far
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Same for the mini bnvd. Most posts I googled were in ee (abet by the retailer).
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm happy with the modularity of the MOD3-B and being able to use it as binocular or monocular.  If you're planning to keep the 14's this probably won't be much of a plus for you though.  In that case the second on my list was DTNVG for the pivot and light (relatively) weight.

I didn't know about the mini BNVD.  Probably because TNVC was involved in most of my 'research' and you say they don't carry them.  Now I'm curious, off to search.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Last I heard the mini-bnvd’s aren’t available to the public yet. The bnvd-ul (ultra lightweight) is available I believe. It’s a regular bnvd with lighter weight optics, which is basically the mini-bnvd without the touch button controls and remote battery option.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The Mini BNVD are available. JRH Enterprises are a site sponsor and great to deal with, if an item is back ordered they won't charge you until it is shipped to you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same for the mini bnvd. Most posts I googled were in ee (abet by the retailer).
View Quote
One guy here said he owns one, and I sent IM to say that many people are waiting for reviews and interested, but I think he's not visiting often as he's not read the IM yet.

Many of the binos are essentially the same as they use the same optics. Ergonomics differ a bit. One tip I can give you is at least the cheaper optics (Carson in this case is what I own) eyepieces have a rather annoyingly small eyebox for articulating binos (DTNVG in this case). From what people have written the DEP Ether eyepieces are a lot better (than probably all 14 / ANVIS eyepieces, not just from Carson, as they too are still mil spec). Why for articulating, because you need to fiddle them to correct positions each time you stow them against the helmet. Takes time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to keep manual gain and not be broke I’d contact nvd and ask about having your -14 tubes put in a bnvd housing
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I am fence sitting on the pvs-14's. 2 is 1 and 1 is none kind of thing. I got the second to hunt with my stepson and that has had layers of fail-it never happened and will not happen any year soon. My oldest is not there yet so they sit.  But I have 3, so good chance in a few years I will have at least 1 hunting buddy-maybe. Working on them. Will be building a hunting trailer soon (7x7 deer stand on wheels).

Plus us if I love binos, converting a second pair will still remain a possibility if I keep them arround
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a good hard look at dual Gain MOD3s.
Binos when you want. Singles when you want. Best of everything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got some MOD3-B’s in white phosphor unfilmed. But unfortunately I don’t have any experience with any other binos to compare. The MOD3 really only makes sense if you can envision wanting to loan one to a friend to have your back at night. You’ll never want to use just a monocular by itself when you have a bino in my opinion. But maybe if we’re talking about loaning one to the wife or a shooting buddy who’s too broke to get his own, then it’s the only way to go. But you’ll still have to make sure the partner has their own mounting system.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
The d-14 lightweight is the way to go for you

Quoted:
I am fence sitting on the pvs-14's. 2 is 1 and 1 is none kind of thing. I got the second to hunt with my stepson and that has had layers of fail-it never happened and will not happen any year soon. My oldest is not there yet so they sit.  But I have 3, so good chance in a few years I will have at least 1 hunting buddy-maybe. Working on them. Will be building a hunting trailer soon (7x7 deer stand on wheels).

Plus us if I love binos, converting a second pair will still remain a possibility if I keep them arround
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Wilcox bridge already. But that rig is about 32oz before counterweights. By the time it is counterweighted it is just too heavy to really enjoy
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't used a PVS-31 nor any sub 500g binos, but between 500g and 600g binos are very comfortable. Much over and as you've noticed with a heavy bridged mono solution it starts to get uncomfortable.

If you absolutely need a side flip up / swivel for looking through a thermal as an example then I can vouch for the DTNVG, but if you don't then a non-articulating bino is more user friendly except for the stow profile and weight distribution. The lower profile helps avoiding bumping to objects (exiting a vehicle or bumping into doors etc) and the closer center of gravity to your head produces a lot less strain on your neck if stowed for longer periods.

Like I said in a previous post, the only thing with the DTNVG that I can say is a minus is the time it takes to adjust the sides for good circular & even view on both eyes. Some swiveling binos, like the PVS-31, have IPD stops that once set are there to stop the movement when you swivel them back down. There's a neat DIY zip lock mod that accomplishes this on a DTNVG, but no native solutions. Also the DTNVG lacks holes for bungees so you need to improvise something. The mini BNVD looks and spec wise sounds awesome. No word on the optics yet as far as I know, but I can't believe they would suck compared to legacy PVS-14 optics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Drat, I was confused.  For some reason I though the Mod3 and rnvg were flip downs-totally wrong.  That makes the rnvg and sentinels closer relatives than I thought.  Now the differences are materials, battery, and sliding contact points versus wires, mount types, and at the moment remote battery.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been watching for real world reviews of RNVG but not much so far
View Quote
I've got a set of RNVGs, so here's my impression so far.

They seem very rugged. I dropped them already, and as expected, no damage. The only thing I can compare them to is a PVS 14, but I am impressed by the weight of them. I was expecting them to feel much heavier. The IR light on there works quite well, but I haven't really had a need for it. They're incredibly simple to use, controls wise. They don't flip up to the side, which isn't a deal breaker for me.

They're what I expect when  think of Night vision goggles. They're rugged and no frills.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Pvs 15s... but im old school.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Well if money is no question then 31’s would be my flavor. Money is a little bit of a question so I got RNVG’s. Pretty darn happy with them so far. Fold to the side bino’s are a feature I want and will be getting some sort of them in the future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought the mini’s through JRH, L3 WP.

They are great for sure and JRH is awesome, very responsive pre purchase, during and after.  I’m a novice when it comes to NV, had the cash and wanted to get something on the high end. Mini’s aaa fit the bill.

I run it with a battery pack and they are very light weight.  The tube specs are excellent and almost an identical match.  0.0 blemishes in the tubes.  I haven’t fully tested everything, but from the bit that I did, I’m very impressed. Optics are what you expect, excellent.

The digital gain control doesn’t adjust instantly but really let’s you dial in precisely and relatively quickly.  I’m happy I went with binod instead of a single pvs-14 given I won’t be using them daily.  Much easier to adapt my brain and eye to the bino than the single.  These suckers light up the night and so far, no neck strain or anything really from one longer session where they were worn 2hrs straight.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Wilcox bridge already. But that rig is about 32oz before counterweights. By the time it is counterweighted it is just too heavy to really enjoy
View Quote
Two 14’s and the lightweight bridge are closer to 27 ounces iirc.

And no tough guy, but I’m simply amazed at how many guys complain about a small amount of extra weight given the benefits we aren’t talk My pounds here. It’s around 5-12 ounces depending on the setup you choose.

I wear my helmet with duals all night, no problem. The 4D pads probably make the difference. And my neck makes all kinds of odd noises when I move my head so it’s not like my neck is super strong.

The ability to split them up. Have redundancy, can maneuver them like 15’s and 31’s with the lightweight bridge, don’t have to worry if the housing/bridge breaks, you can still use them.

I’m sorry, after using them I just don’t see s huge advantage of true bino setups. Cool points?  More profit if you’re the seller?

Again, not being passive aggressive. I’ve used most of these setups. More money for less options?  I don’t see it. Maybe if you need to run a battery pack?

Colimation?  Covered that in another thread. The human head and eyes aren’t perfectly shaped or aligned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the gain setting stay where it’s at when cycling on from off? I’ve been curious about that. And the tactical monocular cutoff, does it stay off even when moving your head at weird angles? I assume it’s in the hinge and not like the 2nd on position that turns off when you Stowe them.

Quoted:
I bought the mini’s through JRH, L3 WP.

They are great for sure and JRH is awesome, very responsive pre purchase, during and after.  I’m a novice when it comes to NV, had the cash and wanted to get something on the high end. Mini’s aaa fit the bill.

I run it with a battery pack and they are very light weight.  The tube specs are excellent and almost an identical match.  0.0 blemishes in the tubes.  I haven’t fully tested everything, but from the bit that I did, I’m very impressed. Optics are what you expect, excellent.

The digital gain control doesn’t adjust instantly but really let’s you dial in precisely and relatively quickly.  I’m happy I went with binod instead of a single pvs-14 given I won’t be using them daily.  Much easier to adapt my brain and eye to the bino than the single.  These suckers light up the night and so far, no neck strain or anything really from one longer session where they were worn 2hrs straight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does the gain setting stay where it’s at when cycling on from off? I’ve been curious about that. And the tactical monocular cutoff, does it stay off even when moving your head at weird angles? I assume it’s in the hinge and not like the 2nd on position that turns off when you Stowe them.
View Quote
1.  It starts where you left off
2.  Tac Cut-off works well, still haven’t made it go off by looking up or down.  I have tried laying down sideways yet.
3. The tac cutoff is not ball bearing based, there something in the arm/housing.
4. There is a 2nd position functionality, but it’s by turning it on with a double tap instead of a single tap.

Functionality appears pretty well thought out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Does the 2nd on position when off stay off when bending down/lowering your head?

I’ve got a bnvd-sg and love it. The 2nd position drives me nuts though when I bend down to go through gear and they turn on. Monocular shut off would be pretty sweet too. These ones being lighter got to be awesome and L3 WP. That’s a killer set up. Congrats

Quoted:
2.  Tac Cut-off works well, still haven’t made it go off by looking up or down.  I have tried laying down sideways yet.
3. The tac cutoff is not ball bearing based, there something in the arm/housing.
4. There is a 2nd position functionality, but it’s by turning it on with a double tap instead of a single tap.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you get, make sure it is L3 filmless WP tubes.

If you can swing it, just get 31a.

The last few sets I used were 31 and 15s, the 31s are lighter but I didn't use them side-by-side so no idea if the 31 price difference is worth it. 31a, however, you immediately recognize the difference and they call your name everytime you think about buying NV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does the 2nd on position when off stay off when bending down/lowering your head?

I’ve got a bnvd-sg and love it. The 2nd position drives me nuts though when I bend down to go through gear and they turn on. Monocular shut off would be pretty sweet too. These ones being lighter got to be awesome and L3 WP. That’s a killer set up. Congrats
View Quote
Thank you Sir.  I’m definitely happy with it so far.

I can confirm that it stays on when looking down. I think it’s a function of the monocular cut-off + whatever sensor they use.  It definitely works well and that was one of my initial concerns as well.  Whatever they did works well regarding the device knowing when it should stay on vs off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, for fun I tried to dig everything out and weigh it.  After about an hour and an extremely long bout of cursing, all that is missing is a dovetail adapter. Will deal with that latter. Most of the hunt was for the helmet-it was sitting next to my thermal rig... and a run away pvs14. Ended up starting to empty the safe and found it hiding in the back. Guess I was making a suppress 22 for raccoon control. Anyway I temp mounted the NV on it to sight in the IR laser and never removed it

12 1/4 PCs 14 & battery. 5 7/8 for the Wilcox bridge. Did not weigh the invc. So 31oz of hung weight and right at 30oz of counterweights (rig I have set up is a couple oz worse as I was keeping thermal on the other eye). So 61 oz plus the unicorn-not to dwell on the fact that even with only 1 PCs-14 attached it is over 18oz.

Now the only problem is getting my neighbor to deputize me for a day and hiding a $12k cc swipe from my wife  (just joking but think it happened in Texas, usually with a sizable campaign contribution in the past before concealed carry license was an option
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, for fun I tried to dig everything out and weigh it.  After about an hour and an extremely long bout of cursing, all that is missing is a dovetail adapter. Will deal with that latter. Most of the hunt was for the helmet-it was sitting next to my thermal rig... and a run away pvs14. Ended up starting to empty the safe and found it hiding in the back. Guess I was making a suppress 22 for raccoon control. Anyway I temp mounted the NV on it to sight in the IR laser and never removed it

12 1/4 PCs 14 & battery. 5 7/8 for the Wilcox bridge. Did not weigh the invc. So 31oz of hung weight and right at 30oz of counterweights (rig I have set up is a couple oz worse as I was keeping thermal on the other eye). So 61 oz plus the unicorn-not to dwell on the fact that even with only 1 PCs-14 attached it is over 18oz.

Now the only problem is getting my neighbor to deputize me for a day and hiding a $12k cc swipe from my wife  (just joking but think it happened in Texas, usually with a sizable campaign contribution in the past before concealed carry license was an option
View Quote
Wow, so if somebody wanted to be able to seperate units, the Mod3 (22oz) is about 9 oz lighter than dual 14s with a Wilcox bridge. The IC lightweight bridge is 3.273oz, so you save about 2.5oz. Thus the lightweight bridged 14s are still about 6.5 oz heavier than mod3s if you wanted to be able to split them. RNVG are about 2oz lighter than Mod3s if you don't need to split them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#30]
@Lowdown3

It looks as if the Mini BNVD would accept PVS-14 optics, or let me ask the other way, are the Mini BNVD low weight optics compatible with PVS-14 (or binos that use them)? Not that it concerns me that much as ITAR prevents me from ordering such, but interested in the matter anyway, and sure other's are too. Wishing the regulations are loosened sometime in the future so that we on this side of the pond can access the same goodies more easily.

How is the quality compared to regular PVS-14 optics or higher end like Edmund, etc?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks for the mention!

Sold "more than a few" of these since they started production in earnest a few months back. They ARE in production and orders have been taken and shipped for several months now.

Only downsides I've heard from customers- one had trouble getting the gain to be as responsive as he would have liked. Also, if you think you will ever, like ever ever, want to use an external battery pack with it, let us know when you order. Evidently adding a port later is a bit of a PITA. We got it done for the customer AT OUR COST, but suffice to say, best to mention this upfront so as to save some bucks and hassle later.

And Dag is correct, when you order from us, you are NOT charged until your order is ready to ship. Unfortunately these units have a lot more lead time than our PVS14's which usually ship in a day or two. Also, we can split up charges for the customer if that helps, it just takes a phone call and telling us your needs.

Robert
View Quote
Hi Robert,

I was the guy with the gain issue.  Just an update that it's not an issue at all.  The gain works well.  It was me not paying attention to what i was doing.
Overall, the Mini is an excellent device.  It's light weight, well thought out, seems very well made and tough.

As I mentioned before, the tubes installed are excellent high grade tubes with nearly identical specs.
It's shocking sometime how much it amplifies the most little amount of light.

Finally, for all you guys debating on a MAWL, it is an excellent choice.  Its range, versatility and simplicity really put it ahead of other things Iv'e seen.
If you have the cash, you won't regret it.

Thanks again for everything!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Pulled the trigger on my cc today.  But giving the current lag time, bino's might make it before Christmas :(.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
What’d you get?

Quoted:
Pulled the trigger on my cc today.  But giving the current lag time, bino's might make it before Christmas :(.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#36]
RNVG
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#37]
From where, and which tubes?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Just got my rnvgs from night vision inc, he installed 2 tubes in the housing for me. Freaking love them, light weight and durable. Should have just had him do some photonis wp tubes but oh well. Using it for hogs is awesome
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Tnvc white phosphorus unfilmed
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Congrats those will be awesome
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Any one running the mini bnvd’s? How do y’all like them?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a pair of lightweight bnvd's. I can tell you the weight difference in hand between the bnvd (normal weight) and the mini bnvd's is substantial. The felt difference between the light weight and minis is not so noticable in hand. I run them with a coti so the reduced weight is welcome. I like most of the features and I am happy with my purchase. Also, the company can accommodate your needs in the way of specs from commercial to milspec as well  as filmless. They have access to several tube manufacturers as well. They built my bnvd to my request for my needs.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#44]
MOD 3s are hard to beat for versatility.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whatever you get, make sure it is L3 filmless WP tubes.

If you can swing it, just get 31a.

The last few sets I used were 31 and 15s, the 31s are lighter but I didn't use them side-by-side so no idea if the 31 price difference is worth it. 31a, however, you immediately recognize the difference and they call your name everytime you think about buying NV.
View Quote
They damn sure have spoiled me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I suspect I would have if I could have, but just did not have enough time to become an LOE just to get better NV .  Also a little tender as I had a bad transaction with a non-corporate purchase earlier this year (dog, not gun, related).
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Any difference between the lw optics compared to pvs glass image wise?

Quoted:
I have a pair of lightweight bnvd's. I can tell you the weight difference in hand between the bnvd (normal weight) and the mini bnvd's is substantial. The felt difference between the light weight and minis is not so noticable in hand. I run them with a coti so the reduced weight is welcome. I like most of the features and I am happy with my purchase. Also, the company can accommodate your needs in the way of specs from commercial to milspec as well  as filmless. They have access to several tube manufacturers as well. They built my bnvd to my request for my needs.  Hope this helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any difference between the lw optics compared to pvs glass image wise?
View Quote
There is  slightly more distortion at the outer edge of the image compared to regular lens when viewed under controlled experiment. In the field it is not evident. Negliable for my uses. The weight saving makes it a non issue for me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm planning on some RNVG's unless there's some kickass new product within the next ~12 months in the same price range
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top