Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2018 12:25:22 PM EDT
It seems to be generally agreed upon that thermal > NV for detection as opposed to identification.  If you cant see it in the day, you cant see it with NV.

I have a significant amount of time with NV nd know what it can and cant do but VERY little with thermal.

I'm prepared but not a prepper by any means.  I won't be "bugging out" anywhere, instead I will be "bugging in" with my wife and 5 kids (one a newborn).

I realize the correct answer is "get both" but funds are limited at the moment so I am leaning towards thermal as my first choice, probably a flir pts233 with NV down the road or an inexpensive electronic system.

The added benefit of thermal is when I am back home, I can use it on coyotes.  NV is a no go for hunting in KS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It seems to be generally agreed upon that thermal > NV for detection as opposed to identification.  If you cant see it in the day, you cant see it with NV.

I have a significant amount of time with NV nd know what it can and cant do but VERY little with thermal.

I'm prepared but not a prepper by any means.  I won't be "bugging out" anywhere, instead I will be "bugging in" with my wife and 5 kids (one a newborn).

I realize the correct answer is "get both" but funds are limited at the moment so I am leaning towards thermal as my first choice, probably a flir pts233 with NV down the road or an inexpensive electronic system.

The added benefit of thermal is when I am back home, I can use it on coyotes.  NV is a no go for hunting in KS.
View Quote
I'm not sure which logic you want us to decide is sound.

I have top of the line thermal and top of the line NV.  If both were stolen and insurance cut me a check for each, I would buy the same Pulsar Trail thermal in a heartbeat.  It's a toss-up as to whether I would replace the NV or keep the change.

I'm willing to wager that I could forego NV altogether and still accomplish 75% of my style of hog and coyote hunting with a red flashlight instead of NV.  All I use the NV for now is navigating and looking at stars.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember if you're bugging in thermal cannot see through the glass of the windows of the house so you will not know what is lurking outside.

NV first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This is has been a heated topic before.
From my experience I would without a doubt go with thermal first.
When comparing many want to say that nv is better for ID. I think that a 1x thermal and a 1x nv are not that far off from one another. Just like a 4x thermal vs a 4x NV. I think the difference is when you throw in heavily wooded areas. That is where thermal just walks the dog on nv.
In an open field nv may have some advantage but if the field has tall grass advantage again would go to thermal.
I've seen thermals that I could still tell if it was hog or deer out beyond 1000 yds with a broad side view.
I would miss many things would night vision that I would see with thermal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I got into this for prepping and I currently have a gen 3 pvs-14 and flir breach (both helemet mounted) both are awesome for different things.
If I could only have one with out question it would be NV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely both, NV first. To me NV makes dark seem like day. As in you can do the same stuff. You can do chores, engage perps, recon, et cetera.

Thermal is great at detection but not on par with NV for the other stuff.

If I was only hunting....thermal fir sure. Prepping, NV
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't move around in the dark with thermals so if you need to move in a hurry to retrieve a love one thermal is not going to be ideal and white light lets you know where your going, but also lets everyone else where your location is also.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with what you can afford.
Either way is better than nothing.
One thing to remember is that you don't need a "detectable by anyone with NV" IR light with a thermal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is has been a heated topic before.
From my experience I would without a doubt go with thermal first.
When comparing many want to say that nv is better for ID. I think that a 1x thermal and a 1x nv are not that far off from one another. Just like a 4x thermal vs a 4x NV. I think the difference is when you throw in heavily wooded areas. That is where thermal just walks the dog on nv.
In an open field nv may have some advantage but if the field has tall grass advantage again would go to thermal.
I've seen thermals that I could still tell if it was hog or deer out beyond 1000 yds with a broad side view.
I would miss many things would night vision that I would see with thermal.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go with what you can afford.
Either way is better than nothing.
One thing to remember is that you don't need a "detectable by anyone with NV" IR light with a thermal.
View Quote
I don’t need that with my Gen 3 NOD either.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Thermal also works 24 hours a day can't say that about NV.
NV is awesome also but is limited to nighttime or dark buildings.

I  navigate with thermal all the time albeit not in rough terrain.

Both is always the correct answer
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Based on my limited experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on something I could only see through thermal. If you can only do one, I'd recommend NV.

Having both is really nice.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most here but the one thing the shocked the hell out of me is just how easy it is to hide from NV as opposed to thermal. I have a gen 3+ WP PVS14 and an IR Hunter Mk ll Thermal Scope and in situations where it's hard to see someone with NV, even when you know exactly where they are, using thermal they're lite up like a Christmas tree. My reason for owning these devices is strictly for if/when the Shtf. I don't hunt at night. If I had to choose which one to sell it would be the PVS14 without question.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Many have said it rightly...full utility the NV wins.  Hands down.  As a hunter, I like my thermal much more.  Preparing for something bad?  NV all day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top