Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2018 2:45:47 PM EDT
I've been trying to do as much research as I could without coming here to ask questions but I've got a snag with some stuff and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm looking at a WP PVS-14 and while I see that the unfilmed version does better in very low light situations I'm not sure if there's any difference in life expectancy. I was under the impression that the film kept the unit from burning out too fast, is that the case with WP units? If they have the same life expectancy is the cost of the unfilmed worth it over the thin filmed?

Since you're already here you might as well stuck around for a few more questions. As far as accessories and mounting goes what do I need to get started? I've got a list that includes a bump helmet, Wilcox mount, IR laser and illuminator, counterweight and ear pro helmet mounts. I'm trying not to jump in over my head so I don't want to get too crazy. I'd like to stay between 1-2k for accessories right now.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I may do that after work. How long is the lead time on those two WP models?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've been trying to do as much research as I could without coming here to ask questions but I've got a snag with some stuff and can't seem to find the answer.

I'm looking at a WP PVS-14 and while I see that the unfilmed version does better in very low light situations I'm not sure if there's any difference in life expectancy. I was under the impression that the film kept the unit from burning out too fast, is that the case with WP units? If they have the same life expectancy is the cost of the unfilmed worth it over the thin filmed?

Since you're already here you might as well stuck around for a few more questions. As far as accessories and mounting goes what do I need to get started? I've got a list that includes a bump helmet, Wilcox mount, IR laser and illuminator, counterweight and ear pro helmet mounts. I'm trying not to jump in over my head so I don't want to get too crazy. I'd like to stay between 1-2k for accessories right now.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
View Quote
Might not be in the budget, but get binos if you can. I bought a PVS 14 from TNVC and regretted it instantly(buying the mono, not tnvc). Should have gone bino.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Might not be in the budget, but get binos if you can. I bought a PVS 14 from TNVC and regretted it instantly(buying the mono, not tnvc). Should have gone bino.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure my budget won't allow that right now. I'm trying to stay under 6k for everything to start. I'm honestly not even sure how much use I'll get out of this but I wanted to buy myself a 40th birthday/vasectomy present and this is what I decided on.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure my budget won't allow that right now. I'm trying to stay under 6k for everything to start. I'm honestly not even sure how much use I'll get out of this but I wanted to buy myself a 40th birthday/vasectomy present and this is what I decided on.
View Quote
You will find plenty of uses... Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You will find plenty of uses... Trust me.
View Quote
I'm curious.  I don't hunt, just a suburban guy.  But have thought about getting something but can't think of a reason to purchase.  What realistic use is there for someone like me to have NVD?  I have a nice telescope for star viewing.  I don't expect my neck of the woods to erupt in SHTF anytime soon.  Anything else?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I never said those things had to be productive. Aside from the many uses outdoors such as moonlight hikes, and stargazing. The outside of my house is surrounded by IR light because of my cameras, and watching animals is pretty cool. I take my dog on beach walks in the dark(ebay IR strobe) and I am a hunter so it is used for predators on the ranches I frequent. I used NV the other day to count the amount of skunks walking around at my duck club for the owner. I have used NV at parties to pick up chicks. Still waiting to get the funds to do a rigid light IR setup on my polaris ranger.

I think the only limit is your creativity and imagination.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I never said those things had to be productive. Aside from the many uses outdoors such as moonlight hikes, and stargazing. The outside of my house is surrounded by IR light because of my cameras, and watching animals is pretty cool. I take my dog on beach walks in the dark(ebay IR strobe) and I am a hunter so it is used for predators on the ranches I frequent. I used NV the other day to count the amount of skunks walking around at my duck club for the owner. I have used NV at parties to pick up chicks. Still waiting to get the funds to do a rigid light IR setup on my polaris ranger.

I think the only limit is your creativity and imagination.
View Quote
Just curious, how does that work? Asking for a friend of course.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
@KPog Do you have any experience with dual 14s and a bridge? If so how does it compare with binos?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just curious, how does that work? Asking for a friend of course.
View Quote
All you do is say "look up at all those stars, there's so many more that can't be seen with the naked eye. It's absolutely beautiful to see whats actually there."

Then you stand behind them while they put your NODs to their eyes, hold their hands gently, and whisper "I told you it's beautiful."

Then smash.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@KPog Do you have any experience with dual 14s and a bridge? If so how does it compare with binos?
View Quote
I have a set of Dual TNVC omni VIII's on a wilcox bridge, while it is awesome, it is heavy. I have tried out a ton of the cool guy stuff since my wife used to work at one of the bigger NV retailers. Next move is WPT sentinels or 31's if I can get them
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All you do is say "look up at all those stars, there's so many more that can't be seen with the naked eye. It's absolutely beautiful to see whats actually there."

Then you stand behind them while they put your NODs to their eyes, hold their hands gently, and whisper "I told you it's beautiful."

Then smash.
View Quote
Hey, all you need is a conversation starter right.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a set of Dual TNVC omni VIII's on a wilcox bridge, while it is awesome, it is heavy. I have tried out a ton of the cool guy stuff since my wife used to work at one of the bigger NV retailers. Next move is WPT sentinels or 31's if I can get them
View Quote
How much heavier than the sentinels? I don't want to be disappointed and then be disappointed again if the bridge set up is too heavy or has any other big problems compared to binos.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
You’re good with the 14. If you want a solid lock for around a hundred bucks get a rhino ii and the pvs-15 dovetail Mount from tnvc.

It’s a very very easy mod and you’ve got a dovetail mount on an arm that’s got all the movement options you need.

You don’t get the cool points of course but it’s $100. Not hundreds.

As far as weight? The modarmory ic dual lightweight bridge is only 3.2 ounces if you want to add another 14 at a later date. It’s easy to have a loaner (mod 3 is more $) if the housing breaks or has issues you still have wiring nv. Even if one goes down with the bridge.

I dunno. Besides the weight, which I don’t think is that bad, I think duals are good as good as binos. Most will disagree.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How much heavier than the sentinels? I don't want to be disappointed and then be disappointed again if the bridge set up is too heavy or has any other big problems compared to binos.
View Quote
If you get the modarmory ic dual bridge instead of the Wilcox it’s:

Sents: 20 ounces, 23 if you go ball and detent mount
Dual 14’s: around 28 ounces.

So 5-8 ounces.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you get the modarmory ic dual bridge instead of the Wilcox it’s:

Sents: 20 ounces, 23 if you go ball and detent mount
Dual 14’s: around 28 ounces.

So 5-8 ounces.
View Quote
Thanks for the input in both posts.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep in mind, that is another 5-8 ounces added to all the doo dads you are going to put on your brain bucket. While I run this, it does get heavy after extended use.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I took the plunge and put in an order with TNVC. I decided to stay with a 14 and got a starter set up to go with it. If I decide to upgrade later I'll just use the 14 as a back up or buddy unit.

Thanks to Vic at TNVC for helping me out! He's a great guy and a big help. I would encourage anyone new to NV to buy from them, they have no problem taking the time to make sure you get what you want and need.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top