Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 4:00:24 PM EDT
With the amount of disposable income most NV users throw around (hell, we'll pay a fortune for filters and lanyards and focus devices and mounts...) - coupled with the NEED to remove batteries when not in use, furthered by HOW DAMN HARD some of the -14 battery caps are to unthread...

Why hasn't someone made a replacement cap that just "pops" open on the end (like a Princeton Tec battery compartment cover on the MPLS series).  Some thing you can just come in, throw a lever or click a catch and break the battery contact - then click it into place to close up and go hot again?

I know i need to be removing the battery, but mine is a stone bitch to unthread all the way, and an equal PITA to thread back in (not crossthreaded or anything, just TIGHT and small quarters for purchase with my sausage fingers...)

Something we could thread on in PLACE of the factory cap....

TNVC should make this
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in for one. Something that threads on and has a pop open latch on the end would be handy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in for one. Something that threads on and has a pop open latch on the end would be handy.
View Quote
Exactly.

1st World (ITAR Restricted) Problems...

Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems the original design had this covered 18 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen that - similar to the Armasight/Flir battery cartridges for the handheld scanners and thermal optics
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And many complained for years (rightfully so about that one). Drop that thing once and 90% chance it broke.
View Quote
Glad you're here!  If you could have that new cap whipped up by c.o.b. Friday or so, that'd be great....  Gonna need some samples.  And a price point below an Energizer Lithium.  Make it in Multicam if it's not too much trouble???

Yall have my info on file....
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Having run both battery covers they both suck to take off and put in. The newer one looks cooler.

I never had an issue with the old style breaking and I dropped mine a few times.

A better cover would be nice
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL... there are many reasons they went to the threaded metal cap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I know, but inconvenience of battery removal was not one of the reasons.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Something like this, just threaded to go onto the existing cap spot, maybe in metal with a beefier o-ring and a slightly more prominent latch.  You could just pop the latch when not in use (breaking the battery circuit open) and even if you didn't REMOVE the battery, any venting would be in an open cylinder instead of a pressurized chamber...

Hell, a polymer one might be just fine - and Princeton Tec is already invested in the NV game - I might shoot them an email and see if they'd play ball....

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
A quick snap battery cap would be nice, but it would have to be made of metal. no plastic crap to break or snap in cold weather.

I dont have much of a problem with the current knurled cap on my 14, the threads are course so you would basically have to try to cross thread it. even then you still may not be able to.

maybe if it had a small flat sticking up off the cap to twist with, but currently its not much of a problem for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what I have. I was wondering what he was complaining about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top