Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2018 5:29:45 PM EDT
Was thinking FLIR PTS536 but my experience with their CS on my PTS233 has caused me to no longer consider it.

Pig hunting, shots out to 200 yards but mostly inside 100?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the XQ38 so not quite the same but real close. So far, for the limited use I've had with it, I love it. Not overly complicated to sight in and it really works as advertised. It's my 2nd Pulsar thermal product and I'm glad I went that direction.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a bunch of messaging back forth with some good folks here and on SH, and research led me to the Trail XQ38 because I’m within those distances. I love it. If anything, if I would’ve been willing to spend more I would’ve done the XP50. I use it handheld too and the 38’s base mag is more than do-able but I think a 640 under 2x would be better scanning and a good image when you zoom for 100+. The XQ38’s base mag has better FOV for 100 over the 50.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for about a year and really like it so far.. I use it in conjunction with a XD38 handheld scanner.  When I'm in tight spaces (not that often), I sometimes wish it had better FOV.. but no so much so that I wish I'd have spent the extra cash on a XP50..
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  Im ordering the Trail XQ50.  Will use the PTS33 as a scanner and put this XQ on my 16" 300blk paired with a MAWL C1+.  My other pig rifle is a 6.8 with Reap-IR and DBAL-d2

Can the XQ50 be recharged from a usb port, i.e the usb in my truck?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the 536 on back order, but decided to go with the XQ50 instead.
The pulsars Rechargeable 8 hr battery and the shorter QR mount was the decision maker for me.
The 536 isn't meant to run with rechargeable 123's and I hate dumping batteries.
The XQ is on back order, so I hope to have it when Night Goggles gets them back in stock.
SJC
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you have some nice set-ups..

Yes the XQ can be charged via usb.. I'd take the battery out of the XQ and use the usb with the battery in the charging base vs charging the battery while it's in the unit.  It may be fine to just go from usb to battery in unit, not sure..  However, the battery lasts a pretty damn long time if you are scanning with another unit and have the XQ on standby and only use it intermittently.  Longest I've gone is a bit over 6 hours, and still had battery left.

Edit: I just looked at the manual.. From what it says, and doesn't say, my guess is that you have to use the charging base (plugged into a USB charger of 2 amps or better).  When you run the cord from a computer's USB right in to the unit (as when downloading video), look into the eyepiece and you'll see two options.. use as flash drive, and use as power.  Manual says when you choose use as power, all it does is power the unit, not charge it.  So my guess is the unit itself doesn't have a charge regulator, and therefore you must use the charging base. Nothing is said about plugging the unit directly to power, my guess here is that it would just power the unit and not charge the battery.  And.. after I wrote this I noticed it says not to use any other charger than the Pulsar one.. To me a usb charger is a usb charger (as long as it's the proper amp rating), but theirs must be special..

USAF retired too... and yes.. thank God!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manual says when you choose use as power, all it does is power the unit, not charge it.
View Quote
I am almost certain that plugging my Trail into the computer and selecting "Use as Power" charges it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am almost certain that plugging my Trail into the computer and selecting "Use as Power" charges it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manual says when you choose use as power, all it does is power the unit, not charge it.
from the manual: "The battery pack installed in the device is not being charged. When USB is disconnected from the device when in the Power mode, the device keeps operating with the Battery Pack, if available, and it has sufficient charge."

This is what it states in the Power mode for when you're using the USB cable as power from whatever source.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Meh...may cancel the order, seems im getting the runaround from the company i ordered from.  Time to google other companies to do business with.

ETA:  Spoke with the guy i usually do business with.  Warehouse buffoonery, at least i know now instead of being in the dark.  Should???? be here Thursday, then sight in and hunt Fri!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meh...may cancel the order, seems im getting the runaround from the company i ordered from.  Time to google other companies to do business with.

ETA:  Spoke with the guy i usually do business with.  Warehouse buffoonery, at least i know now instead of being in the dark.  Should???? be here Thursday, then sight in and hunt Fri!
View Quote
Its not TNVC, Nitegoggles or UNV.....Its worked itself out.  They are not well known here.  Its just the fact that the rep i usually deal with was on leave.  Yes, its a well know company, just dealt with a dude that brought their CS down a notch IMHO.  Got a couple PM concerned about this.  The good guys are TNVC, Nightgoggles, UNV and a few others here that support us.

Unit will ship tomorrow and in my hands thursday........

This issue is not being a spoiled brat, wanting my toys now....its taking off work for signing for it.  I lost my wife of 37 years almost 5 months ago (54 fucking years old)  genetic form of pulmonary fibrosis, never smoked ever.  She cant sign for my shit like she used to.  I miss you Regina!, my kids are grown and im alone now....WAH(sobbing sounds)....  Im a tough sob.  I just want honesty...

Oh BTW, since i took tomorrow off, meatloaf on the REC-TEC smoker and Bulleit in my gut....sorry to vent on a tech forum, this aint GD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top