Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2018 4:51:52 PM EDT
I have a part of pvs-14's, a thermal monocular and a thermal scope. The monocular started out life as a "scope", but made lemonade with that mistake. The 2nd pvs-14 was to share, but soon realized I was hunting alone mostly. Tried a bridge but it was just too heavy to want to use.

So so now considering dedicated binos, even though I don't ever use the bridge as intended (occasionally bridge the thermal and a pvs-14. But that is even heavier.

So the question is anyone get binos after a monocular and regret it?  Anyone switch from one to the other and find it worth it
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with a mono and then went to a bridge, ran this setup for a few years the. Recently I was convinced that a bino housing was a better option than the bridge and can honestly say it’s the way to go. I can flip one up and use a scope or I can flip one up to use a thermal handheld scanner best setup hands down.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a favor and look into a MOD3 dual gain housing.

All of the advantages of Binos almost zero negatives.
Run 2 if you want, run Binos most of the time. It’s win/win.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Eh, with the advent of newer, high quality bridges I doubt I’ll ever move on from my duals. Weight?  Doesn’t bother me.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
While not as popular here, I love my dual MUMs with Wilcox bridge.
I can go mono or bino and while rolling bino I can flip one side or both at any time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a dozen mono’s before building a set of ANVIS 9. First time out in the woods I felt like I had upgraded to HD Night Vision  with duals a whole new experience ;)

That said when I upgraded to a set of BNVD’s that was the bread and butter setup for me. I could pivot one tube up and operate like a mono having one eye adjusted to my environment and also use a thermal mono on my neck lanyard. Best of both worlds I still prefer a Bino that pivots to this day.

Now, I’m considering a thermal Coti  so I can have short range thermal detection and Bino/mono at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
When I got my 14 recently, I knew I fucked up. I wanted to email Vic and return it for a full bino setup. I ended up waiting for another omni VIII 14 on a wilcox bridge. Problem is now I need WPT sentinels. just sucks that I have money now, and not when my wife was working for US Nightvision. I would have been stacked.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not both! Should be an option.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That said when I upgraded to a set of BNVD's that was the bread and butter setup for me. I could pivot one tube up and operate like a mono having one eye adjusted to my environment and also use a thermal mono on my neck lanyard. Best of both worlds I still prefer a Bino that pivots to this day.

Now, I'm considering a thermal Coti  so I can have short range thermal detection and Bino/mono at the same time.
View Quote
BNVD (pvs-31?). Yeh I bet those are sweet-sub lb bino. E-COTI also caught my eye, but while I should  not be getting either, both is kind of totally out of the question and I think the binos are probably a better next option.

Sentenals caught my my eye but am keeping up with the rnvg thread
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If I had to choose mono or bino with no other thermal or nv scope use and could only choose one then the RNVG is my choice. If I was going to run thermal then a flippable bridge with pvs14 and thermal would be my choice. Eventually I want a weapon mounted NV I’m going to look into bnvd bino’s that flip to the side but that’s another big purchase to swallow. I’m lucky I can have both mono and bino but if I had to choose I’d go bino.... I almost had to choose just the bino but last minute lucky change allowed me to have both.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I've owned a MOD3-B for a couple months now and tried it out as a monocular for comparison's sake.  It's nice to have that ability for the select few specific times it can help, but I'd be extremely sad to lose the binos for full-time monocular.  If it's one or the other, binocular without a doubt.  Binos that can rotate to the side like BNVD accomplish mostly the same thing, but there is the extra benefit of having the ability to use the other tube as a solo monocular with the MOD3, like if you want one on a lanyard or a small handheld.

Full disclosure, I'm not a hunter or super tactical operator, I just like to fool around in the dark and look at stuff through my WP MOD3's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I have tried a pvs-14 and irpatrol on a bridge together. It kind of worked. It did not create fusion, but rather allowed me to  onsentrate on one of the other. Real issue is that it weighed over 2lbs. Then tried to counter weight and the whole rig including helmet probably topped 5lbs. Just no joy their.

I only tried walking hunts a couple times.  My paths were not easily walked so it was not as much fun as I had hoped. I need to groom my paths better (working on this is multiple fronts yet). Anyway mostly used in sitting hunts and the helmet ended up sitting at home.

Looking into  to the future and says to make mobile hunting more user friendly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top