Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike06] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scootle74:

With SHOT show upon us, I think many reps for everything in the biz is probably focused there.

The "UniqueFire" IR illuminators on Amazon seem decent.  Nothing special.  They use 18650 cells though, which are common enough.  I wouldn't be shocked if this (or similar) is what SiOnyx is including in their Explorer package.

I'm curious how vital it is that the Aurora Picatinny mount have the retention for the EVF/battery latch, as described in that TFB review.  I didn't realize that was the reason their "custom" Picatinny mount was so long.
View Quote
I was told that is the exact reason that the mount is long to have retention on the latch. I just wonder how much recoil can the camera take mounted to a rifle? Bought this cheap IR on Amazon seems to be ok. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEYFGNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the uniquefire or evolva, they both appear to be the same.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Just saw this on the Lion's facebook

Protip thanks to the folks over at SiOnyx!

If you're experiencing lag issues while filming, shortly press the "SET" button > select "EIS" (electronic image stabilization) > select "Off".

The lag should magically go away.

Let me know your feedback, I will update on this topic if we find any tweaks
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmjwad8TyU&fbclid=IwAR1AoIQEknCnhL8v2e7e_swCzNQQwp4pv4UrNhaesZ18UcnNNAChJKQ6DMQ&feature=youtu.be

Video from last night, 3/4 moon illumination with the Aurora attached under the rifle handguard as an action camera.

It’s interesting to have the video show two completely different fields of view during the hunt - most hunting vids to date are based upon the scope view alone.

Couldn’t tell you what happened with the mount issue , he and I will just have to monitor getting it positively locked on...
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tinythief:
Just saw this on the Lion's facebook
View Quote
The lag seemed to be one of the major concerns people had. That's great news if thats all it takes to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know where/what size (if available) to obtain a protective lens?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cledford3:
Does anyone know where/what size (if available) to obtain a protective lens?

Thanks!
View Quote
I'm using a Butler Creek Blizzard scope cover. Size #8. You will have to cut about half of the length of the rubber to get it on all the way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By f402mech:

The lag seemed to be one of the major concerns people had. That's great news if thats all it takes to fix it.
View Quote
I’m hoping someone can confirm this. The lag is the only thing stopping me from purchasing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

I'm using a Butler Creek Blizzard scope cover. Size #8. You will have to cut about half of the length of the rubber to get it on all the way.
View Quote
Lion’s on facebook has a clear front protector
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Lion’s on facebook has a clear front protector
View Quote
Yeah. It's like 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Yeah. It's like 50 bucks.
View Quote
Yikes, scratch that....
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#13]
It looks like the best way to use as a monocular is to helmet mount.  There is absolutely no way I can afford a $500-1500 dollar ballistic helmet.  As cringeworthy as this is going to sound - is there a good quality airsoft solution?  Possibly something else?  I'd like to try to run as a monocular now, with the option of buying a 2nd unit for a binocular set sometime in the future.  I'd like this setup for walking the woods.  I looked at PVS-7/14 harnesses (not sure if it would even work from a mounting perspective) and they get horrible reviews from a comfort perspective.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#14]
It looks like the best way to use as a monocular is to helmet mount.  There is absolutely no way I can afford a $500-1500 dollar ballistic helmet.  As cringeworthy as this is going to sound - is there a good quality airsoft solution?  Possibly something else?  I'd like to try to run as a monocular now, with the option of buying a 2nd unit for a binocular set sometime in the future.  I'd like this setup for walking the woods.  I looked at PVS-7/14 harnesses (not sure if it would even work from a mounting perspective) and they get horrible reviews from a comfort perspective.

Thanks for any help.
View Quote
The headcrushers are awful.

A Crye Nightcap is a solution if you don't need a full blown helmet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks for any help.
View Quote
Pick up a decent bump helmet. You can pick up an ops core or team Wendy used around $200.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m hoping someone can confirm this. The lag is the only thing stopping me from purchasing.
View Quote
Ditto. I can workaround the rest of the unit's limitations quite easily. Lag is not something my brain would be able to cope with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lew:

Ditto. I can workaround the rest of the unit's limitations quite easily. Lag is not something my brain would be able to cope with.
View Quote
I was playing with mine around the house today and it helps for sure to turn off EIS. I could not see any lag at all. Also for those who are wondering about a cheaper head mount I have been looking at this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXBN3PZ/?coliid=IGITG1LRKJTBI&colid=D4K5BDAP3AY2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mike06:

I was playing with mine around the house today and it helps for sure to turn off EIS. I could not see any lag at all. Also for those who are wondering about a cheaper head mount I have been looking at this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXBN3PZ/?coliid=IGITG1LRKJTBI&colid=D4K5BDAP3AY2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
View Quote
How will you see through the camera with that??
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My Wicox shoe came in today. I should have the dovetail to horn interface on Tuesday. Then I can stab it into a rhno mount like the other cool guys.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike06] [#20]

How will you see through the camera with that??
View Quote
I will be in a stationary set up like my deer stand and using the phone app I can set the point of view area to what I want. With the app on a phone or tablet a person should be able to adjust to the view that you want. Even while walking or standing I see people that use a GoPro filming many different things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I was playing with mine around the house today and it helps for sure to turn off EIS. I could not see any lag at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

I was playing with mine around the house today and it helps for sure to turn off EIS. I could not see any lag at all.
The feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#22]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7vWd5jqDk

Used the Sionyx as a static recording camera - distance to target 100 yards.

Blind is elevated 14 ft so this is why the hog isn’t blending with the trees in the back and is more visible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
I think that just sealed the deal for a lot of people sitting on the fence for this thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fortydelta] [#24]
Sat out tonight, hoping to see something after dark. But no...
Full moon, clear skies. About an hour after sunset. Treeline is 100ish yards.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Pig_Popper:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7vWd5jqDk

Used the Sionyx as a static recording camera - distance to target 100 yards.

Blind is elevated 14 ft so this is why the hog isn’t blending with the trees in the back and is more visible.
View Quote
This is more or less my application- sitting in one place before daylight or after dark, looking around without a (visible) flashlight, or finding a spot before the sun comes up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_B] [#27]
Looks like the guys won a sizeable contract, lets see what they develop in the next 2 years.
Should be interesting.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190117005371/en/SiOnyx-receives-20M-award-Army-Digital-Night

Edit: woops has already been posted!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

This is more or less my application- sitting in one place before daylight or after dark, looking around without a (visible) flashlight, or finding a spot before the sun comes up.
View Quote
It makes for a nice follow the stalk camera in 3/4+ moon conditions , it illustrates the hunting environment better than through the scope views.

Here is a hog taken on the night of the eclipse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLtVaNTxb8
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#29]
It makes for a nice follow the stalk camera in 3/4+ moon conditions , it illustrates the hunting environment better than through the scope views.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

Without some kind of hands free mount, I wouldn’t want to try and do an actual stalk with it solo (and unless a decent mount becomes available I probably won’t go that route), but I do think as a handheld it will get you from point A to point B. Also handy for follow shots if you have a hunting buddy (looks around at the kids).

Great videos, by the way.  I miss killing hogs, lol.

Where did you get the pic mount for your earlier vid (where it fell off)?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#30]
The pic rail is part of the explorer kit offered by Sionyx on their website

We attempted to use it again this weekend but I was busted fairly quickly by a lone boar so we couldn’t get in close and scrapped that approach.

We’ve rechecked the mount and all is solid so we are assuming that in the video where it falls off it was probably operator error (throw lever not fully engaged).

It’s on our list of things to check coming up in the next 30 days - even if I just try it on the range with my 308 AR...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#31]

We attempted to use it again this weekend but I was busted fairly quickly by a lone boar so we couldn’t get in close and scrapped that approach.

We’ve rechecked the mount and all is solid so we are assuming that in the video where it falls off it was probably operator error (throw lever not fully engaged).

It’s on our list of things to check coming up in the next 30 days - even if I just try it on the range with my 308 AR...
View Quote
FYI, the roll pin that attaches the lever to the mount came out of mine this weekend. Was luckily able to find it. It was not staked or flared or anything. When the lever was opened, or the mount was in it's "loose" state, the lever side rail section did not move away. The springs were in a bind. This took tension off the lever and allowed it to just fall out.

The mount is a piece of junk. But, it's all that is available. I'll be modifying it myself before taking it out again.

Moot point, as my helmet mount should be coming in today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Sigh- your videos remind me how much I want a 6.5G AR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Thinking of purchasing a aurora to helmet mount for navigation and laser shooting/hunting.

Did anyone ever figure out the lag issue? What mounts are people using for helmet mounting the aurora?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quick question as I’m new to the whole IR game. I bought an advertised 940NM flashlight from amazon - the “Fandyfire 501 IR”. It works great from an illumination perspective with the camera - but a red LED (the flashlight emitter) is observable when the flashlight is on and looking directly at/into the flashlight.  Is this correct for a 940NM device?  What would be different between 850 and 940 if some red LED illumination is still visible with 940?  Just wondering if I got ripped off and sold something that is really 850 and misadvertised.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 5:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hard_ware] [#35]
850nm is very visible, 940nm is less visible but the stronger the emitter the brighter the visible glow.  Only way to cheaply test it is with an Ir passing filter.

IR passing filter set Amazon
Neewer 4 Pieces 58mm

If the filter blocks the light it’s below the filters wavelength.
Here is a set 720nm 760nm 850nm 950nm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015XMSWIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BF4rCbCCW0CZK

Ir light above the cutoff wavelength will pass thru with very very little loss.

I
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quick question as I’m new to the whole IR game. I bought an advertised 940NM flashlight from amazon - the “Fandyfire 501 IR”. It works great from an illumination perspective with the camera - but a red LED (the flashlight emitter) is observable when the flashlight is on and looking directly at/into the flashlight.  Is this correct for a 940NM device?  What would be different between 850 and 940 if some red LED illumination is still visible with 940?  Just wondering if I got ripped off and sold something that is really 850 and misadvertised.

Thanks!
View Quote
I bought the same IR light from Amazon a month ago.  I also noticed the glow and wondered the same thing.  I suspect the emitter just has some spill into the visible wavelengths.  It is much dimmer than an 850nm light I have.  I also have a small, 940 IR light that is completely invisible when on though.  I need NV to tell if it's even on.  Here's a comparison of the 3 lights while they are switched on.

On the left is the 850nm, then the Fandyfire 940, then the little 940nm light.  The little righthand 940 is only powered by an AA battery, but is decent for up to about 30 yards or indoors and is useful and easy to carry.   For the money I'm happy with each, and they are disposable, decent performers, and easily replaced.  Remember, 2 is 1, and 1 is none, eh?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
Thinking of purchasing a aurora to helmet mount for navigation and laser shooting/hunting.

Did anyone ever figure out the lag issue? What mounts are people using for helmet mounting the aurora?
View Quote
Turn off EIS
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:34:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hard_ware] [#38]
Originally Posted By draver:

I bought the same IR light from Amazon a month ago.  I also noticed the glow and wondered the same thing.  I suspect the emitter just has some spill into the visible wavelengths.  It is much dimmer than an 850nm light I have.  I also have a small, 940 IR light that is completely invisible when on though.  I need NV to tell if it's even on.  Here's a comparison of the 3 lights while they are switched on.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71380/IR_Lights-818392.jpg

On the left is the 850nm, then the Fandyfire 940, then the little 940nm light.  The little righthand 940 is only powered by an AA battery, but is decent for up to about 30 yards or indoors and is useful and easy to carry.   For the money I'm happy with each, and they are disposable, decent performers, and easily replaced.  Remember, 2 is 1, and 1 is none, eh?
View Quote
The emitters don’t have any visible spectrum spill.
It’s IR light it looks the same passing thru several stacked Ir filters. What’s even stranger is we see it as purple/ violet color which at opposite end of visible light spectrum. Well a violet filter should block it, if it blocks all violet light seen that is much much brighter. The IR light goes right thru with the same purple glow. I have tried to eliminate the glow and it’s not possible as the glow we see is from the IR source’s concentration of photons. We don’t see the light beam as the concentration is dispersed. As the wavelength gets longer we see less glow or if the power is reduced see less glow. But the glow isn’t from light in the visible spectrum. A truly invisible IR source would sell If it was possible but that hasn’t happened. The small 940 light can be seen after eyes are adjusted to dark conditions, but it’s the best least visible I have found so far.

The small 940 light switch will feel different when on vs off.
I don’t remember off hand which is off but. The difference is the soft switch cover doesn’t make contact with the switch when on if memory serves me correct. When off the soft cover is touching switch, by slightly applying pressure you can feel the difference. Easy way to tell if it’s switched off without NV device to verify.

I have a few 14500 3.7v batteries coming in in a few days to try the small 940nm light with a higher voltage to see if output is increased or if I let the smoke out 😳 and have to replace the diodes or driver.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hard_ware:

The small 940 light switch will feel different when on vs off.
I don’t remember off hand which is off but. The difference is the soft switch cover doesn’t make contact with the switch when on if memory serves me correct. When off the soft cover is touching switch, by slightly applying pressure you can feel the difference. Easy way to tell if it’s switched off without NV device to verify.

I have a few 14500 3.7v batteries coming in in a few days to try the small 940nm light with a higher voltage to see if output is increased or if I let the smoke out 😳 and have to replace the diodes or driver.
View Quote
I strongly suggest you not try the 14500's in that light.  Mine is a replacement from an EBay vendor who mistakenly claimed it could use either, then when it burnt out, he replaced it free and changed his listing to AA only.  I was hoping for a stronger beam when I went to 3.7V, but it no workee!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:20:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hard_ware] [#40]

I strongly suggest you not try the 14500's in that light.  Mine is a replacement from an EBay vendor who mistakenly claimed it could use either, then when it burnt out, he replaced it free and changed his listing to AA only.  I was hoping for a stronger beam when I went to 3.7V, but it no workee!
View Quote
👍 Thanks !
I will try a variable supply and see if a little more power can be tweaked out of it. If it can handle 2.5v I will make an aluminium extension to run 2 nimh 1.2v cells.

The tk25ir by Fenix is a beast 3000mw 850nm IR light as well as 1000 lumen white light, but has a beastly glow as well. It uses dual emitters. Might extend the range of the sionyx unit in dark conditions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71380/IR_Lights-818392.jpg

View Quote
What make/model is that small compact light on the far right?  Thanks.

I have one of these "UniqueFire" units from Amazon and it emits a faint visible reddish glow when on.  It's actually mentioned in the user manual as a way to tell if the unit is switched on or not, so I'm not sure if it's intentional or bad quality LEDs...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011I9R3JM/

From the product description:  "CAUTIONS: Infrared light is invisible to human eyes. It is designed to be used with night vision device.(Only a small and faint red glow on the LED to show you that the torch is on)."
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:41:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike06] [#42]

I have one of these "UniqueFire" units from Amazon and it emits a faint visible reddish glow when on.  It's actually mentioned in the user manual as a way to tell if the unit is switched on or not, so I'm not sure if it's intentional or bad quality LEDs...

From the product description:  "CAUTIONS: Infrared light is invisible to human eyes. It is designed to be used with night vision device.(Only a small and faint red glow on the LED to show you that the torch is on)."
View Quote
I have this one. I don't know what the IR rating is but it does ok for me. I can see 250 yards using it in total darkness. I can see a faint red glow also to tell if it is on or off.https://www.amazon.com/VASTFIRE-Focusable-Infrared-Flashlight-Illuminator/dp/B01IEYFGNO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Anybody know if you could just screw in one of these and stick it into a Wilcox dual PVS-14 brige, or RQE universal bridge?

Wilcox PVS-18 dovetail

Wilcox PVS-15 dovetail
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
I bought that one on Amazon, but it is currently not available there.  It looks the same as this one on Ebay.  Mine has 3 LED's visible but no name stamped, just IR940 on one flat on the barrel.  Pretty small, and about the same quality as all the other China lights.

Ebay IR 940nm AA flashlight

You might be able to find one from a US shipper for a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Anybody know if you could just screw in one of these and stick it into a Wilcox dual PVS-14 brige, or RQE universal bridge?

Wilcox PVS-18 dovetail

Wilcox PVS-15 dovetail
View Quote
The dovetail Sionyx used with the Wilcox bridge was the Wilcox M24 Recon shoe with a bit of filing needed on the pin.
It also works with the RQE bridge and JAMR.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#47]
That is a flat awesome mount looks like you have it going your way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 6:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fortydelta] [#48]
That is a flat awesome mount looks like you have it going your way.
View Quote
The mount is something weird I found, similar to a jamr but bayonet interface. I posted some pics a few pages back.

@akengineer was gracious enough to loan me a helmet and rhno II to try before I pissed off my boss  accountant wife any further.

Once I get a helmet that fits, counterweight, etc. It will be good.

Walked around with it on my weak eye and with ir flood till the battery died last night. Will try on dominant eye tonight. Any difficulties I had are mostly because this is all new to me.

Sitting in the stand now, and it's the last weekend of the season.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By djkel:
The dovetail Sionyx used with the Wilcox bridge was the Wilcox M24 Recon shoe with a bit of filing needed on the pin.
It also works with the RQE bridge and JAMR.
View Quote
So it does have the alignment pin on the bottom? None of the pics I could find show the bottom view of the shoe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

So it does have the alignment pin on the bottom? None of the pics I could find show the bottom view of the shoe.
View Quote
Yes, it's just that the m24 shoe pin is slightly bigger than the Aurora hole. Just file a little on the sides of the pin and it will work. Took me about 5 minutes at the kitchen counter.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top