Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dixy2k:

Do the pictures posted here have to be hosted somewhere else? I can't find a direct way to attach anything here like on other forums.
I've been on various forums for the past 20 years though.

View Quote

Imgur works great for me

https://imgur.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Imgur works great for me

View Quote
I also use imgur since photobucket went full retard. I wouldn't say it works great but it does work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Of course I did.

Yes, the locking lever is straight up/down when it is loose and enables the adapter to move on the rails.

Maybe because I have none other to compare it with my input is skewed.

Do the pictures posted here have to be hosted somewhere else? I can't find a direct way to attach anything here like on other forums.

View Quote

@dixy2k

Check your IMs
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Imgur works great for me

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Imgur works great for me

You have to be a member to host images here on the site, but anyone can embed images that are hosted elsewhere.  Like the others, I prefer Imgur.com even though I could host directly here.  This site's image hosting leaves a bit to be desired.  Imgur will host your photo full size forever (as long as people keep accessing it, but I think they delete after a certain amount of time with zero views).
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]

This is the steel tab I mentioned. Acts a brake for the rails.

After I figured out what is stopping the adapter to slide onto the rails, I used a thin screwdriver to lift that part up a little. Playing with it (sliding it) made it a little more easy to glide back and forth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:31:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
For some reason the images hosted on Imgur are not currently working.
They did after I posted them...

I'll try again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:35:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#8]

I'll try again.
View Quote

right click, open in new tab works to see them.

Anyway, looks like the right rail is machined out of spec, the I beam is not symetrical

And, that is the newest one I have seen with a MAR20 code on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]

I'll try again.
View Quote

Looks like you figured it out, but you want to make sure you're linking to the actual .png or .jpg file.  The easiest way is to "get share links" and copy the one for forums, which uses the bbcode needed here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#11]
That's what I did the second time.

I got my camera tonight.
Gotta put it all together and I'll post more pictures.

Now I need to go back a few pages where the instructions about camera settings were posted get the best results out. Right now it is a bit grainy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:28:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#12]

I got my camera tonight.

Now I need to go back a few pages where the instructions about camera settings were posted get the best results out. Right now it is a bit grainy.
View Quote

The recommended settings are in the description of my kiloohm etsy page.

look at this area, smaller ledge on the right eye side, thicker I beam could bind.
Attachment Attached File

Edit: I just noticed your tan AKA2 adapter is on backwards, the lever goes on the left eye side. Which will bind the cam causing your problem. ....but in the other photo you had it on correct...so..., out of spec machining is it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I made a video on how the Norotos RHNO 2 fits a AKM2 shoe adapter. Will be up shortly as soon as it uploads.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#14]

I got my camera tonight.

View Quote

Black/Classic/Sport will get grainy, and then need IR, somewhere between 1/4-1/2 Moon level of ambient light (or equivalent man made levels).

Settings that I like for doing everything (Generally, off the top of my head):

EIS - Off

EVF Brightness - Low

EVF Auto Off - Never (but only if worried about someone else seeing you - otherwise it can save some battery).

Night Glow - Grayscale for marginal conditions, Color with a lot of ambient.

Invert Image - For Helmet use

All Sounds - Off

Photo Mode - Auto Shutter if using IR or an IR Illuminator, if not, setting a 1.5 sec shutter can eeek out a bit more performance. 1.5 will blow out with an illuminator though.

Video Mode - Here is where you need to experiment for your use - 360p/7.5fps will get you to lower light levels, but is useless for doing anything other than observing. 720p/30 or 360p/30 for shooting - you need to see if one is better for you - I can't tell a quality difference on the EVF, so I leave it on 360p for any extra performance (but I wear reading glasses, so maybe young eyes can see a difference?). 24fps can eek out a bit more, but to me, motion blur on the EVF is a bit more at 24. Under good ambient/IR, and especially if recording video, 720p/30.

HDR - I never noticed a difference on the Black/Classic/Sport with this setting, but on the Carpe Nocturnum YouTube channel, he does a comparison and there *is* a slight performance edge to it. On the Pro - it makes a HUGE difference, so it's on for me. I'd say try it both On and Off and see if it helps or hurts you.

Electrical Tape the Record light, and the Power On/Charging light near the dial.

Remove the Rubber Eyecup if you need to get it closer- squeeze the sides and pop it off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the useful info.
I honestly did not (yet) see a difference when playing with HDR.
24fps is a little too low, I prefer 30.

Low brightness seems too low, but I need more time to play with it and figure out the most optimal settings for me.

In my urban setting there is plenty of ambient light (street lights, porch lights, security lights/cameras) and there is no need for extra light (IR).
I will get an IR light though for those times when the ambient light could go out. Inside the house with no lights on it gets sketchy. There is a need for extra light inside the house.

In dark situations I prefer the grayscale instead of color.

Still waiting for my IR laser to arrive, but I won't totally rely on that as it's function is not to illuminate a certain area (it does it as a secondary function) and there are situations when a dedicated IR light is better and more suited for the type of environment.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Norotos RHNO II modded to accept AKA2 socket
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:06:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#17]
COTI mount available in orange now. Check your junk drawer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
COTI mount available in orange now. Check your junk drawer.
View Quote

NICE!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#19]
Just for clarification- Helmet is a Team Wendy Ballistic with Wilcox Shroud.  Wilcox L4 G24 Mount.

I sold the KAC Bridge that I couldn't get to work and I installed a IRMount MKII off Etsy.  This solution gets the unit closer to my eyes, but the angle is bad.  This is how it looks up...

Attachment Attached File

But when I swing the unit down it to the lock point it is aimed up at my forehead and the objective lens is hitting me in the upper ocular area...

Attachment Attached File

If i unlock the L4 and hold it up a bit by hand it gets to a good point for me to see out, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this-I don't think the point at which it locks is adjustable?

Attachment Attached File

The IR Mount MKII is really cool and cost effective, but its honestly lower quality than I was hoping for.  I had to shim a unit on one side under the thumb screw because the units were not parallel and it threw off the image.  It has some play in the lateral adjustment posts.  In effort to get the unit down towards my eyes I replaced the 3D printed shoe, shaved down some of the mount with a knife, and replaced the old shoe with a Wilcox PVS15 shoe.  I'm still not fully there yet, but I think if I keep screwing around with this I can get it to work.

I'm more concerned this thing is not going to last if I start using it and shaking it around.  Do you think the Wilcox ReapIR mount is a better solution?  Is anyone using this combo with a ballistic helmet/ wilcox shroud/ wilcox L4 mount? Thank you!

P.S.  I don't know is Sionyx has a presence on here, but I'm not impressed with their customer service.  Me and my buddy placed a $4k order with them and their customer service phone number of their website is down and they didn't answer 2 emails.  They're got time to post shit on Instagram but aren't helping me out.  I wouldn't buy from them again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#20]
@alpinist Again, as I stated before. That helmet does not look right. It doesn't fit you. The helmet is tilted fwd. The under ear strap is loose. It sits high, so you tilt it fwd to compensate.

And if you dislike the quality of the MK2, feel free to contact me and send it back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#21]
You’re right my bad, I forgot to adjust the helmet as your suggested.

The helmet is large and it had pads in it- I took them out and tightened the straps. This is what is looks like now. What do you think? It’s just above my eyebrows now

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess, looks better. Did it fix everything?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:17:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#23]
man its perfect now! thank you so much!!!!

I rescind my comment.  The mount is legit.  My skills were not
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]
You don't need to rescind. I am always looking fwd to making the next version better, and your feedback is valuable. Glad you got 'er going!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 9:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#25]
Setup 2 helmets this weekend. Can’t wait until we get out and practice.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone run an Aurora next to thermal?  

Assume I have an iRay MH25 on a KVC bridge and want to run an aurora on the other side...is there a dovetail adapter that would work with the aurora?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bevo15:

Assume I have an iRay MH25 on a KVC bridge and want to run an aurora on the other side...is there a dovetail adapter that would work with the aurora?
View Quote

I was trying to do this.  I couldn't get it to work.  I had a FLIR Breach and an Aurora and the KVC Bridge.  Did not work.  The Aurora was too far away from my eye.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#28]
Originally Posted By Alpinist:
Setup 2 helmets this weekend. Can’t wait until we get out and practice.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328900/7FD5F4CF-70A8-4DEF-9BC3-8EC2FC7CA785_jpe-1631556.JPG
View Quote

Prediction... This guy ends up with PVS-14/binos in under 12 months. Screenshot it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Weird, I was thinking about the same thing last night.
Aurora on one eye and thermal the other.
Not sure what my brain will do or how it will react.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Prediction... This guy ends up with PVS-14 binos in under 12 months. Screenshot it.
View Quote

Isn't the Aurora the gateway drug?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:16:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#31]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Prediction... This guy ends up with PVS-14/binos in under 12 months. Screenshot it.
View Quote

you are probably right.

I blew my load on helmet/ dbal/ surefire this year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:23:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#32]

View All Quotes

The Hog Hunters in the main area have tried Iray's next to 14's and it doesn't work for them *blended* - way too dissimilar images - they swap back and forth with the concentration - if that makes sense. From an aspect ratio perspective (720 x 540 Thermal and 1024 x 768 Aurora), an Aurora would be better'ish I guess, but it's still not blended. Gaspain has tried with his AGM Micro 384 and posted pics - IIRC he didn't like it. I have an AGM Micro 384, but it's bungee'd in a Plate Carrier pouch for scanning when I flip up the right side Aurora - They don't blend for me either - but this is my first Thermal, and I tend to want to close the left eye when scanning with it. Maybe with more training...???

I *almost* bought the iRay - but after thinking about *my* use case scenarios - I would never NOT want Binocular Night Vision - too many advantages. And with the AGM Micro ID Range (the shortest distance of Detection/Recognition/Identification trio) of 200yds for deer, you'll know humans from way longer than that - I didn't see a need to constantly have a thermal image up - a scanner works better *for me*. 384 x 288 looks really good though - who knows, maybe an iRay MH19 will make it's way to me one day and I may change my mind

As far as running on a Bridge with an Aurora, Nick Chen did - but not with a KVC Bridge, he used Wilcox ( IIRC, actually the SOTAC Clone):

With the KVC K-Clip, I can mount the MH25 to my Wilcox bridge and pair it up with a SiOnyx Aurora or a night vision device.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:42:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#33]
You’re right my bad, I forgot to adjust the helmet as your suggested.

The helmet is large and it had pads in it- I took them out and tightened the straps. This is what is looks like now. What do you think? It’s just above my eyebrows now

View Quote

Glad you got it working. First time helmet mounting can be a "WTF?!" moment for sure. So many adjustment options between helmet/pads/counterweight/mount, and bridge. With the Auroras, I would get the helmet fit right first, even going so far as removing a brow pad and compensating with another nape pad, if you can't move the Auroras back far enough (I had to do this on my PTS MTEK FLUX so that I could still articulate the pods ((needed to move the Auroras out more)) - my HHV was good as is). Then I'd get the counterweight right - until you get a feel for your setup, I would counterweight it so that the helmet with Auroras flipped down for use, balances perfectly level on a finger placed in the top dead center of the helmet. Then adjust the height/tilt of the mount. Even with all that, I still usually manually tilt the helmet a few millimeters up, every time I put it on, LOL.

Once everything is good to go, you can remove some counterweight (ounces = pounds) and compensate by tightening various straps - but going heavier (completely level) at first, lets you know everything will work out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:49:19 AM EDT
[#34]

I blew my load on helmet/ dbal/ surefire this year.

View Quote

Nice setup :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#35]
So far the magic smoke is still bottled up in this one. If you want me to disassemble one for you and check your smoke levels, let me know. ;)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:47:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaTrueDave] [#36]
I have let the smoke out of so many devices....

Here's to hoping you keep it bottled up.  

Are you working on separating the lens from the display?  It would be awesome to have small, lightweight goggles with the camera mounted on, say, the sides of the helmet or something.  If they were light enough, elastic or some sort of spring could be used to keep the displays on your face (more along the lines of the way ear pro/headphones attach to helmets).
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#37]
So far the magic smoke is still bottled up in this one. If you want me to disassemble one for you and check your smoke levels, let me know. ;)
View Quote

Nice - what's $360 (assuming you bought on the pre-order last year). You doing that for the COTI?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:06:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#38]

Nice - what's $360 (assuming you bought on the pre-order last year). You doing that for the COTI?
View Quote

Just diggin around. Thought maybe upgrading the C mount lens. But, i'm not sure what would work better. Wider FOV would be nice. Compasscall used an ENVIS lens, but those are hard to find.

I will add, do not take yours apart. It was not very easy to keep the smoke in. Really...wanted out. Lots of ribbon cables to bend and small screws to lose.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Just diggin around. Thought maybe upgrading the C mount lens. But, i'm not sure what would work better. Wider FOV would be nice. Compasscall used an ENVIS lens, but those are hard to find.
View Quote

Roger. I was Googling around yesterday on how to convert distance measurements to an angle - and failed miserably (math challenged). Pro FOV at 2 Clicks is 28 feet across at 50 feet - was trying to detrmine FOV Angle from that. Ah well, it's enough for me - that's ~18 dudes standing shoulder to shoulder, LOL
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Headed to the woods tomorrow w my pros.  Pretty pumped.  I’ve only used them to walk through my suburban neighborhood and to the woods behind us a couple times.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:
Headed to the woods tomorrow w my pros.  Pretty pumped.  I’ve only used them to walk through my suburban neighborhood and to the woods behind us a couple times.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/C7E9C83A-D430-41DC-BEEB-5AC35253DA27_jpe-1635633.JPG
View Quote

4 eyes
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Banditman:

4 eyes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Headed to the woods tomorrow w my pros.  Pretty pumped.  I’ve only used them to walk through my suburban neighborhood and to the woods behind us a couple times.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/C7E9C83A-D430-41DC-BEEB-5AC35253DA27_jpe-1635633.JPG

4 eyes

Can gaspain print a 4 camera mount?

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

Can gaspain print a 4 camera mount?

https://i0.wp.com/tnvc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/products-GPNVG18_1.jpg?fit=1024%2C891&ssl=1
View Quote

Tried that, the camera bodies touch. The outer cameras are too far to the side.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:58:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#44]
Headed to the woods tomorrow w my pros.  Pretty pumped.  I’ve only used them to walk through my suburban neighborhood and to the woods behind us a couple times.  
View Quote

And I thought I had a problem... Are those all Pro's or Black's? (can't tell the color).
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]

And I thought I had a problem... Are those all Pro's or Black's? (can't tell the color).
View All Quotes
Headed to the woods tomorrow w my pros.  Pretty pumped.  I’ve only used them to walk through my suburban neighborhood and to the woods behind us a couple times.  

Pros.  Got two helmet setups so I don’t have to play around at night alone.  One is for my dad, but he’s a Covid risk type so a buddy will be wearing it tonight.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpinist] [#46]
Hey @gaspain I ordered 4 IRDark Eyecups, but after putting them on they're going to fall off.  I must have not read the instructions.  Whats the best way to fix these?
There was 1 adapter thing in the box, was there supposed to be 4?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Hey @gaspain I ordered 4 IRDark Eyecups, but after putting them on they're going to fall off.  I must have not read the instructions.  Whats the best way to fix these?
There was 1 adapter thing in the box, was there supposed to be 4?
View Quote

The extra is a PVS14 eye cup adapter. I sometimes throw things in on repeat buyers. The eye cups should stay on...I will do some checks and get back to you tomorrow. Could be a manufacturing issue.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Driving w/Pro Binos

First time trying this - was actually less of a deal than I thought. Only got up to 25mph, but faster would have been possible. My private road is bumpy as hell, so even in the daytime it's about 15mph max - the main dirt road is about a 45mph road. Conditions were NL4 (No Moon/Clouds, only Stars) out in the open, and my Bob dummy would have been engage-able at the 90 yard longest distance I have. But inside the truck cab, cutting off 95% of the sky, there wasn't enough light to drive *safely* - so I turned on the Parking Lights, since this was about driving and not the image. Down and back quick, as getting pulled over would have been interesting. I cut the video short, as my address was on the gate, but I drove through the 10 foot gate and hooked a left up my driveway and parked next to my wife's car. Video Mode, 360p/30 HDR - flipped and rendered in OpenShot, then uploaded to YouTube - YT killed the quality a bit, but not too bad.

First Time Driving - Aurora Pro Binos
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I got a aurora today. My impressions were very negative at first. I was using it in movie mode which was horrible from the
slow screen refresh...so I switched it to photo. Much better. The supplied lens is horrible. I own a 1 megapixel camera and
it is MUCH sharper than this one is. That is my biggest complaint. I was going to send it back.

Then I looked at the nebula in Orion. OK, even though it is an unfocused mess the color is EPIC. For pics at night It can
sort of be useful and it is very IR sensitive which is cool. I guess I will keep it for IR silliness.

As far as night vision use...it requires very little IR to work well. Resolution is better with a monochromatic source too. I have tested it
with a small IR light I built years ago...it was epic. It is a weak source...but more than enough to light a room via ceiling bounce.
With this light the usual IR fun ensues...black flashlights look clear anodized, veins in hand are epic, translucent bottles turn clear, etc.

Under IR it really kicks ass. With no IR...poorer than Gen2. Very noisy.  

Keeper. Cannot wait for the young daughter to see Orion either. Later this year. It is good viewing too late for her bedtime now!

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Is it just my camera or everybody's camera unfocused?

Yes, I did play with the focus adjustment, but is still seems off just a bit.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top