Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Question for those with aging eyes....how well does this work, being basically a video screen up close to your face?  I can't see crap within arm's length anymore.  If I hold my phone too close it's a blur.  With regular analog NOD's I don't have that problem, though.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that they function more like a scope, with a lense that you focus to your eye.
View Quote
I'm 51, I use reading glasses up close (the lowest mag, but my phone is blurry too) - don't know the optical science behind it, but the Aurora's images are crystal clear. The numbers and letters would be blurry, BUT it has an adjustable diopter to make them crystal clear. Unsure if the diopter also cleans up the image, but I don't think so - I adjusted it once and have never needed to touch it since.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

I'm 51, I use reading glasses up close (the lowest mag, but my phone is blurry too) - don't know the optical science behind it, but the Aurora's images are crystal clear. The numbers and letters would be blurry, BUT it has an adjustable diopter to make them crystal clear. Unsure if the diopter also cleans up the image, but I don't think so - I adjusted it once and have never needed to touch it since.
View Quote
Good.  My eyes are not what they used to be.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: habu36] [#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
Question for those with aging eyes....how well does this work, being basically a video screen up close to your face?  I can't see crap within arm's length anymore.  If I hold my phone too close it's a blur.  With regular analog NOD's I don't have that problem, though.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that they function more like a scope, with a lense that you focus to your eye.
I'm 48, and my eyes have betrayed me as well.  And the little diopter adjustment dial on the Aurora works for me as well.

Other notes.   The Lancer XL helmet barely fits my Lane Bryant head, but it does.    Other bits inbound to mount the Aurora to the helmet.   White light on the left, cheap IR light on the right.    I'm pretty happy so far.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
I’m at 5 weeks with no communications and no tracking #.

I just sent them an email asking the status and reminding them that they said 3-4 weeks to ship.
View Quote
Same here. Ordered 7/31.  Please let me know what you hear.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mpulse2005:

View Quote
Ordered 8/2 and I got mine two weeks ago.

Kidding, I haven't heard anything. Though they sent me 3 emails/surveys and reminders asking if I am happy with my experience enough to recommend it to a friend. I did not respond...
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered 7/31 shipped today
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my shipping notification today.
And notice that a stamp was approved.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:

Kidding, I haven't heard anything. Though they sent me 3 emails/surveys and reminders asking if I am happy with my experience enough to recommend it to a friend. I did not respond...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:
Originally Posted By mpulse2005:

Also shipped today
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have a complete list of what you would need to helmet mount this?  Never done that before, would be neat to be able to use hands free.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Anyone have a complete list of what you would need to helmet mount this?  Never done that before, would be neat to be able to use hands free.
View Quote
The 22 previous pages are your friend. Overview: A helmet with a shroud, anything from a Lancer Bump to an M-Tek Flux and anywhere in between. A mount for the shroud, anything from Chinese knock-offs, to the latest Wilcox Unobtanium - Norotos RHINO II is best bang for buck IMO. A mount for the Aurora to attach to, that clips into the mount on your shroud - currently, probably a Lion's Gear Solutions Hyperion or MACHOS, but user @gaspain is 3D printing some soon, I think. You'll need to make sure both of the mounts interface properly, either with a "Horn" adapter, or Dovetail PVS-18 Shoe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Lets say a guy has the following.

Helmet
Rhino II TI bayonet
Sionyx Sport

If he were to get a J-Arm that interfaces with the Rhno,
And one of the Farrow Tech adapters, https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/

Would that be everything to get it mounted to a helmet?

Would the Camera be canted?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered 8/17, both units shipped today.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
This maybe off topic, but a friend gave me a helmet (heavy fiberglass), but unfortunately the mount is not compatible with the Rhino II I acquired.  The Rhino did come with the mount that hooks underneath the helmet and secures by a back strap........what is the strap called?  Second, the padding in the helmet sucks!  What can I do to improve that?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:
This maybe off topic, but a friend gave me a helmet (heavy fiberglass), but unfortunately the mount is not compatible with the Rhino II I acquired.  The Rhino did come with the mount that hooks underneath the helmet and secures by a back strap........what is the strap called?  Second, the padding in the helmet sucks!  What can I do to improve that?

TIA
View Quote
You have a PASGT Rhino night vision kit.  The strap was to retrofit Rhino mounts to the older PASGT helmets which weren't NV optics-ready.  You can take off the base that holds the Rhino to the stap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#18]
Hey guys, just a small update on mounts.

I had to back burner the bayonet mount, after making ten prototypes I have yet to find a good way to make a secure latch work inside the bayonet. I am still working on it, just delayed and annoyed at who originally designed the bayo .

But its not all bad news, I have finished the pvs15 wedge/shoe type mount for dual's and it will be ready for full production in a few days, just stress testing and doing FEA studies now. This model requires a Wilcox pvs-15 or 18 shoe, 14003p01 or 14001p01. I am playing with a plastic wedge, but its not ready for prime time yet.

And the PVS-14 eye cup adapters are for sale on Etsy.

oh and there are no waiting lists to get on...I have spent over 100hrs in Solidworks and printing things, please be patient we are almost there.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

I had to back burner the bayonet mount, after making ten prototypes I have yet to find a good way to make a secure latch work inside the bayonet. I am still working on it, just delayed and annoyed at who originally designed the bayo .

But its not all bad news, I have finished the pvs15 wedge/shoe type mount for dual's and it will be ready for full production in a few days, just stress testing and doing FEA studies now. This model requires a Wilcox pvs-15 or 18 shoe, 14003p01 or 14001p01. I am playing with a plastic wedge, but its not ready for prime time yet.

oh and there are no waiting lists to get on...I have spent over 100hrs in Solidworks and printing things, please be patient we are almost there.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/Assembly12_png-1086225.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/Assembly13_png-1086245.JPG

https://i.etsystatic.com/20925280/r/il/25f42e/2032543709/il_794xN.2032543709_c8wh.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
Lets say a guy has the following.

Helmet
Rhino II TI bayonet
Sionyx Sport

If he were to get a J-Arm that interfaces with the Rhno,
And one of the Farrow Tech adapters, https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/

Would that be everything to get it mounted to a helmet?

Would the Camera be canted?
View Quote
I think it would be canted. PVS-14 threaded mounts are tilted about 45 degrees to the left of vertical. Email Farrowtech and see what they say?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:02:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Senoj] [#21]
Exciting stuff Gaspain!  (Never thought I'd find gas pain exciting...)

Question, do your eye cups cut off any of the screen or affect the viewing area in any way?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone determined what the best USB Battery Pack for a bino setup would be?

I'm on amazon trying to find one that will fit in my pouch and coming up empty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Senoj:
Has anyone determined what the best USB Battery Pack for a bino setup would be?

I'm on amazon trying to find one that will fit in my pouch and coming up empty.
View Quote
I use this one:

Anker PowerCore 15,000 Redux
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/Assembly12_png-1086225.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/Assembly13_png-1086245.JPG

https://i.etsystatic.com/20925280/r/il/25f42e/2032543709/il_794xN.2032543709_c8wh.jpg
View Quote
Can't wait Gaspain!!!
Looks great in the drawings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]

I use this one:

Anker PowerCore 15,000 Redux
View Quote
That will fit in a counter weight pouch?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]
So I spent most of yesterday evening fooling around with these, and stayed up too late last night walking around with these on.

They're pretty awesome.  Are they as good in low light as Gen 3?  No, but I'd say they're 80% of the way there for 15% of the cost, which is impressive.  Perfectly fine for what I want.
My wife would not let me buy one PVS-14, and now I have dual Auroras, so...

They work really well, better than I expected to be honest.  I guess seeing is believing, literally.

I didn't even try to take video or pictures, except one of my wife wearing them with a huge grin on her face, which she wouldn't want me to post for you animals.

The Sports do look like R2D2.  I spent my afternoon today trying to track down some Krylon FDE.  I'm afraid Alumahyde will be too thick.  Wound up ordering on Amazon.
I cannot wait to go hunting with these.  Or hiking, or camping.  I snuck up on a racoon digging through a trashcan about an hour into wearing them, it was fun.

As someone who has spent some time behind current and Gen 2 analogue tubes, I'm amazed how far digital has come.  Being able to see colors in a dark room where my eye couldn't make out shapes is awesome.
I think that SiOnyx has a winner here, and their next generation offering will probably overtake Gen 3, IMHO.  For now, the Aurora is very impressive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
That will fit in a counter weight pouch?
View Quote
Depends on your pouch I guess - the dimensions are on one of the pics. I have a Mohawk type pouch with the big, rectangular, top-load pouch with 2 Velcro Straps, and it fits with room to spare, for 25, 147gr 9mm rounds in a zip-loc, LOL!
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#28]

I guess seeing is believing, literally.
View Quote
With these, it is - the sensor outputs a higher resolution, than the pics or vids can show; EVF provides the best image. IIRC the sensor is 1280x1024 (1024p), but any data files are 720p.

Krylon should be fine. I used Cerakote, which is thin, but I did ~3 coats. Flash dry each coat with a hair dryer, then press all buttons and move all things that rotate with a surgical glove on your hand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Preorder the Sport, been fine for a couple of weeks.  Wouldn’t charge or turn on.

Let’s see how they handle this.  I contacted them first.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Preorder the Sport, been fine for a couple of weeks.  Wouldn’t charge or turn on.

Let’s see how they handle this.  I contacted them first.
View Quote
Did you try to pop out the internal battery, and then re-insert and try it? Try hooking it to an external battery via USB?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Depends on your pouch I guess - the dimensions are on one of the pics. I have a Mohawk type pouch with the big, rectangular, top-load pouch with 2 Velcro Straps, and it fits with room to spare, for 25, 147gr 9mm rounds in a zip-loc, LOL!
View Quote
That's what I wanted to hear.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 5:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#33]
trying to figure out pricing, any thoughts? keep in mind the Wilcox shoe is not included and can be found for $35

stainless captive screws included, made of tough urethane plastic
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#34]
@gaspain I think lions gear is pricing the original mount around $89.00 and has also figured out how to produce a Wilcox mount and if bundled the two, shipping is free. If your asking what I would pay and what people would pay...those are two separate things. I can’t say what your time and supply cost to make it worth doing. I would say if you made both bundled with free shipping for $99.00, people would jump on it all day. Buy it’s self with low cost shipping, I would under sell the competition to get into the market. Let us know what you decide. Your prototype look far more superior to lions gear. Also have you done any testing for those who are liable to drop the mount or smack a tree when we hear a bear fart?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#35]
Lions had discontinued their Wilcox shoe, probably too weak. So with any Lions, you still need a shoe. They Hyperion is $89 and machos is $200. and his shipping is from euroland and is expensive

I have done FEA on it and physical break tests, its strong but like anything can still break. Users should use a drop lanyard....ehh, i'll just include one with each mount.

It is very lightweight at 2oz with Wilcox shoe.

It takes a few hrs each to print and an hour to clean and finish. So 4 hrs each. It's an extremely messy and smelly process working with resin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Will it be offered for a single monocular?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#37]
Originally Posted By smeeg:
Will it be offered for a single monocular?
View Quote
no, but the lower arms are removable and can be used in single configuration. But maybe when things settle down I will make pages for left and right, but for now it would complicate things
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:07:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandsleep] [#38]
The butler creek multiplex flip covers size 30 & 31 fit the objective pretty good.  The depth could use some trimming.

Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]
4 hours plus materials... if you add in print and cleanup time plus having to ship it out. So less than $25.00 per hour wage. I would just run enough to buy a set of PVS 14’s and get out of the game OR figure out how to expand. I personally wouldn’t pay more with other options on the table. If you take into consideration that this is the first item they have brought to market, I assume they will have other versions of Sionyx products to hit the market. Other possible future items for you to expand your side hobby.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#40]
$87, of course.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#41]
has anyone else witha Sport not been able to use usb charging and have the lcd viewfinder on?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#42]
has anyone else witha Sport not been able to use usb charging and have the lcd viewfinder on?
View Quote
With my experience, non sport model, you have to run the camera for a few seconds (10?) to 'drain' the internal battery.  Then plug it into the external battery and flip the camera on.

Something about the camera doesn't know how to operate on a full battery + being connected to a battery.

Once you burn some the internal battery, something clicks and the battery pack works fine.  Several of us have posted this issue in the thread.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Beautiful work!  I want one!  Looks superior to my MACHOS, and I love the tooless mounting screws.  Are those captive for removal in the field?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Beautiful work!  I want one!  Looks superior to my MACHOS, and I love the tooless mounting screws.  Are those captive for removal in the field?
View Quote
the mounting screws are captive and wont fall out. I'm not sure it's superior to machos but thanks for the compliments.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Did you try to pop out the internal battery, and then re-insert and try it? Try hooking it to an external battery via USB?
View Quote
Tried it.  Nothing.  Haven’t received a response from Sionynx, but its only been a day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#46]
the mounting screws are captive and wont fall out. I'm not sure it's superior to machos but thanks for the compliments.
View Quote
If it’s strong enough to trust in the field (barring abuse), then I think it will be.  Like I said, I want one, when can I order one?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:05:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#47]
So got my Sport version, and played with it over the last 2 nights.

Was able to take a video of deer in the field, but its not very good since the deer bailed right off.

My 2 cents from 2 nights of playing.

Overall, for the money, this is a great product.  Like light years better than gen 1 NV if there is decent ambient light.  Picture is very clear, nice wide angle and very clear.  Mostly the colors are pretty true, just a few things off.  Tree leaves were blue.

Zoom is OK, but definitely the digital zoom pixelates the picture very quickly.  Somewhat useful feature though to be able to zoom in on an object to ID, as the regular view is very wide.

I do miss being able to use IR, but this is actually seems much more practical than Gen 3 NV if there is a lot of moonlight or even a street light that is not far away.  Areas that look black, really light up if there is any decent light available.  Both nights for me, the moon has been out full, so it has been almost like daytime.

Definitely useless in total or near total dark.  When it gets close to total dark, the image starts to wash out very quickly.  I haven't been able to test in 1/2 moonlight or less yet.

Will have to take some stills and post.  Also need to cut down the video time so I can post.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Was able to take a video of deer in the field, but its not very good since the deer bailed right off.

Overall, for the money, this is a great product.  Like light years better than gen 1 NV.  Picture is very clear, nice wide angle and very clear.  Mostly the colors are pretty true, just a few things off.  Tree leaves were blue.

Zoom is OK, but definitely the digital zoom pixelates the picture very quickly.  Somewhat useful feature though to be able to zoom in on an object to ID, as the regular view is very wide.

I do miss being able to use IR, but this is actually seems much more practical than Gen 3 NV if there is a lot of moonlight or even a street light that is not far away.  Areas that look black, really light up if there is any decent light available.  Both nights for me, the moon has been out full, so it has been almost like daytime.

Definitely useless in total or near total dark.  When it gets close to total dark, the image starts to wash out very quickly.  I haven't been able to test in 1/2 moonlight or less yet.

Will have to take some stills and post.  Also need to cut down the video time so I can post.
View Quote
You do know it works with ir lights/lasers right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

Overall, for the money, this is a great product.  Like light years better than gen 1 NV.  Picture is very clear, nice wide angle and very clear.  Mostly the colors are pretty true, just a few things off.  Tree leaves were blue.

Haven't tried with IR yet, that would be make it way better.  Will try it soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:10:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Senoj] [#50]
It works just as good as a PVS-14 with IR.  I’ve got a couple of streamlight IRs and two of those Fandyfire lights and they work great.

It was hilarious explaining to my wife that I wasn’t trying to trick her with my invisible flashlight.

ETA-  I’ve been using it to check on the kiddo at night, and last night the room had zero ambient light.  An IR flashlight aimed at the ceiling lit the room up like daytime.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top