Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m really intrigued by this thing. Would it be feasible to use this as a clip on in front of a LPVO for night time/low light hunting?
Are there any clip on mounts available for it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Highly suggest some of the new guys asking questions to go back and read the thread from the beginning.  There is a lot to learn.

About clipping on - the eye relief is pretty poor with this.  I would expect the recoil to slam the Aurora into your face...but you can try.  I know SiOnyx sells a kit that comes with a picatinny rail mount but I'm unsure if they sell it as a standalone unit.  You could look into other creative ways to mount it if not.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 4:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By atxtj:
I’m really intrigued by this thing. Would it be feasible to use this as a clip on in front of a LPVO for night time/low light hunting?
Are there any clip on mounts available for it?
View Quote
I must have messed something up when I tested the Aurora in front of a 1-4x scope - found this guy who put one in front of an ACOG and it seems to work.

ACOG Then Aurora (In Front)

fortydelta also said he tested a bunch of stuff and posted, but I can never find the post, LOL - read every page and look for his posts.

Found it - it must work as an Objective Clip-On(ish) - bottom of this page:

fortydelta's Post
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I received my Sionyx Sport a few days ago. With IR, it is pretty decent. It will work for what I wanted which was a way to record footage during night hunting especially B Roll type stuff including interviews which don't work well with thermal tech. However, without IR, I was a little disappointed in the low light ability of the Sionyx. You can see better than you can with just your eyesight, but not high end NV. For the price, it will work for the reason I got it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 5:12:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 223Rem] [#5]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

You need a helmet with a Shroud- cheapest is an Airsoft Bump I would imagine. Then you need a Mount - again, they *do* make Airsoft replica's of Wilcox G24's etc... BUT - do you want to trust your device to the metal quality of Airsoft items? That's up to you - I guess with a Tether there is less risk. An affordable *real* mount is the RHINO II off of Ebay. Then you need an Arm to go between the camera and the mount - I haven't checked prices, but the Lion's Gear Hyperion *may* be the cheapest - but DHL from Romania(?) adds about $25. Most of us here are using an arm called the CHAIM, I would call it Mil-Spec quality - it is really friggen nice. You can PM me if you want his email - discuss pricing with him. If you decide to go Duals at any point, the Lion's Gear MACHOS is nice. Finally, depending on what arm you go with, you need a Shoe to screw into the camera - the real ones are pretty cheap, so I'd just go with the M-24 shoe or the PVS-18 shoe from TNVC or Own The Night, depending on your arm.
View Quote
Perfect! Thank you.

Helmet with shroud
Rhino II (Wilcox G24)
Arm- CHAIM
Shoe- M24
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:

Perfect! Thank you.

Helmet with shroud
Rhino II (Wilcox G24)
Arm- CHAIM
Shoe- M24 or PVS18
View Quote
To clarify, it's the RHINO II only for the CHAIM, and you need the M-24 Shoe, NOT the PVS-18 one. Any other Norotos or Wilcox mount will cost you Hundred$, and you'd need to re-convert to a Bayonet/Horn receptacle (If they even make them, can't say I've seen that).
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:44:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#7]

I must have messed something up when I tested the Aurora in front of a 1-4x scope - found this guy who put one in front of an ACOG and it seems to work.

fortydelta also said he tested a bunch of stuff and posted, but I can never find the post, LOL - read every page and look for his posts.

fortydelta's Post
View Quote
That seems like it would be HORRIBLE for a clip-on type system. Its a camera. Whatever the lens is pointed at the sensor will see, encodes, then it's decoded and displayed on an OLED. Problem is that the screen your scope is aiming at is completely optic/electonically decoupled from what the camera is aimed at. It's not like merely putting a set of optics in front front of another set of optics. And to top it all off the camera is mounted using a typical screw-post camera mount adapter... not repeatable/precise at all.

If the camera tilts or imperfectly centered in any way, the screen displays a misaligned image and you'e aiming at a screen image that the rifle is NOT pointed at. I would be amazed if simply clipping the Aurora in front of a zeroe optic still had a POI within 30MOA of the original zero. I plan to mount mine behind the EOTech. There's enough room between the EOTech and rear folding BUIS to mount the camera on a custom mount without moving stuff around.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]
For all you who "preordered" the $359 white Scout version, how long between the order and receiving it? I wonder why they call it a preorder? Sounds more like you're ordering it factory direct and they're building-to-order.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a 3d model of the Aurora? I ordered one but still waiting. I have half way designed dual and single mounts in Autocad Inventor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
For all you who "preordered" the $359 white Scout version, how long between the order and receiving it? I wonder why they call it a preorder? Sounds more like you're ordering it factory direct and they're building-to-order.
View Quote
I got a ship notification late Saturday evening for a 7/15 order. Tracking shows that it's just 'label has been printed'
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigspice] [#11]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
Anyone have a 3d model of the Aurora? I ordered one but still waiting. I have half way designed dual and single mounts in Autocad Inventor.
View Quote
Waiting for my sport. I have been looking for a reason to buy a 3d printer.  Goofing around in Tinkercad with mount ideas.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm taking the chance on the Sport model.  For the price it should be fun to walk around and do critter patrol.  And better than nothing for more serious work I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Can someone point me to the Chaim?  I assume that's good to go with a Rhino ii or the TATM?  They look a little different.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 44Dave:
Can someone point me to the Chaim?  I assume that's good to go with a Rhino ii or the TATM?  They look a little different.
View Quote
PM me for his contact info (I got it from Joe, but he may be tired of PMs, LOL) TATM comes as a Dovetail Mount and has those ratcheted rails - will not work with CHAIM, which is Bayonet/Horn, and I don't think they make a conversion adapter for it, like they do for RHINO II.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#15]

PM me for his contact info (I got it from Joe, but he may be tired of PMs, LOL) TATM comes as a Dovetail Mount and has those ratcheted rails - will not work with CHAIM, which is Bayonet/Horn, and I don't think they make a conversion adapter for it, like they do for RHINO II.
View Quote
Thank you

Those if you that have recently reached out to Chaim - has he been responsive? I emailed him asking if he was making a dual bridge and never heard back. I assume he's taking care of y'all
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 44Dave:
And better than nothing for more serious work I suppose.
View Quote
You'll probably be surprised - *to my eyes*, Half-Moon or better and it looks as good as the pics all the high-end analog guys post... less than that (although I haven't personally tested 1/4 Moon yet) and with no help, *analog blows it away*. BUT, if you don't have an adversary that has NODs, shooting at you (with 6mm BB's or Bullets) - IR help is perfectly acceptable - how many criminals are caught wearing NODs in the US? (yes, fantasy scenario, but valid still) And WITH IR - You have an HD image, which looks even better through the EVF, due to the better resolution from the sensor going straight to the Hi-Rez EVF - than a pic or video can show... The sensor is actually 1.3MP | SXGA |1280 x 1024 pixels| 1″ Optical format, pics and vids are limited to 720p. The EVF looks better than ABC HD on your TV and tell me that doesn't look good, LOL. You also have zero analog "graininess" or whatever its called where it looks like a movie on the big screen.

I was watching Bill Blowers in a video about NODs, he had to go up into an attic and search for a BG with his Dual setup - he had to turn on IR. But I'm bias, LOL - but for $360 it's worth testing, and I'm sure they have a return policy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Thank you

Those if you that have recently reached out to Chaim - has he been responsive? I emailed him asking if he was making a dual bridge and never heard back. I assume he's taking care of y'all
View Quote
I ordered one last week, he shipped quicker than I ever expected. Maybe he is on vacation?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:
I ordered one last week, he shipped quicker than I ever expected. Maybe he is on vacation?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:
Thank you

Cool. I reached out to him right when the Aurora went down to 399. Told him to get ready!
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Will the standard J-Arm mount instead of the CHAIM?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Camera would be tilted. You'd have a rectangle at 45 degrees.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
I need to hire you as my consultant.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
$87/hr, half hour minimums. Pm for more info

But yes he's correct
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Ha! Nah, just keep posting and I'll keep answering - I'm one of those weird 50 year olds who remembers the internet when everyone helped and was nice
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#24]
$87/hr, half hour minimums. Pm for more info

But yes he's correct
View Quote
LOL!
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you

View All Quotes

Thank you

Conversion adapters - they (industry) make them, but you have to look to find them.  Look for "bayonet adapter" & "horn adapter" accordingly, e.g.
Wilcox bayonet adapter, P/N 14004G01-B. The adapter is inserted into the dovetail mount and allows the mounting of AN/PVS-7 and AN/PVS-14 J-Arms into Wilcox and Norotos mounts.
Chaim has been very responsive & I should be receiving his mount shortly.

Having said that, trying to find a Wilcox M24 shoe in stock has not been easy.

I also have the FarrowTech adapter on the way, so I can compare them.  I'm assuming the FarrowTech/J-arm setup will have tilt v. Chaim being level, but it gives me options to play with in the future.  And since the FarrowTech mount is plastic, I can file/shape "anti-tilt" into the design, so we'll see.

Ordered the Sport on 7/17, received 8/13, for those wondering.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By P_squared:

*snip*

Ordered the Sport on 7/17, received 8/13, for those wondering.
View Quote
I ordered on the 20th, no shipping notification yet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#27]
Originally Posted By P_squared:

Having said that, trying to find a Wilcox M24 shoe in stock has not been easy.
View Quote
https://ownthenight.com/component/hikashop/product/13178-wilcox-interface-shoe-for-flir-recon-m24-p-n-61310g01
@p_squared

Don't know if they are in stock there, but a lot of us ordered from them. Easy to work with
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
@JoeMal - Had to order with them over the phone.  For some reason, the site wouldn't let me place the order.

Few other places are showing out of stock/manufacturer discontinued, so with that in mind, folks may want to get them while they can if that's true.  JMO & YMMV.

Having said that, it doesn't seem to me that it'd take much to 3D print an adapter for these going forward, or convert the PVS-18 shoe.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
For those looking for a shoe, if you have not already tried 'googling' for just the part number (61310G01) you'll find some places that still have a few in stock that may or may not be cheaper than the links posted already.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By habu36:

I ordered on the 20th, no shipping notification yet.
View Quote
Don't think it's going by order date, I ordered 7/15, got shipping confirmation 8/10 but it's just 'a label has been created'
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#31]
That seems like it would be HORRIBLE for a clip-on type system. Its a camera. Whatever the lens is pointed at the sensor will see, encodes, then it's decoded and displayed on an OLED. Problem is that the screen your scope is aiming at is completely optic/electonically decoupled from what the camera is aimed at. It's not like merely putting a set of optics in front front of another set of optics. And to top it all off the camera is mounted using a typical screw-post camera mount adapter... not repeatable/precise at all.

If the camera tilts or imperfectly centered in any way, the screen displays a misaligned image and you'e aiming at a screen image that the rifle is NOT pointed at. I would be amazed if simply clipping the Aurora in front of a zeroe optic still had a POI within 30MOA of the original zero. I plan to mount mine behind the EOTech. There's enough room between the EOTech and rear folding BUIS to mount the camera on a custom mount without moving stuff around.
View All Quotes

fortydelta's Post

@Pneumagger

You are correct. See my pics on page 8. Having the Aurora in front of a magnified optic is not clear at all. You can fiddle with the focus clicker thing that is next to the eyepiece and that helps, but ultimately you are magnifying pixels.

The eye relief is too poor to be mounted behind a magnified optic.

More testing could yield a workable solution. However I found that the supplied rail mount basically sucks. It is not repeatable nor solid enough. The few times I had it attached to a rifle I also had the wrist strap strung through my sling mount just in case.

If the camera is in front of an optic, the optic will only see what the camera sees. Because of the crap mount, the camera is not lined up with the optic exactly and your POI is toast.

I and another member, can't remember his name but it's back in the thread somewhere, messaged Sionyx about the mount deficiencies. I never got a response. Looking on amazon and ebay I find similar mounts and can be certain it's crap chineseum.

The Aurora is best suited as a handheld or helmet mounted unit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

@Pneumagger

You are correct. See my pics on page 8. Having the Aurora in front of a magnified optic is not clear at all. You can fiddle with the focus clicker thing that is next to the eyepiece and that helps, but ultimately you are magnifying pixels.

The eye relief is too poor to be mounted behind a magnified optic.

More testing could yield a workable solution. However I found that the supplied rail mount basically sucks. It is not repeatable nor solid enough. The few times I had it attached to a rifle I also had the wrist strap strung through my sling mount just in case.

If the camera is in front of an optic, the optic will only see what the camera sees. Because of the crap mount, the camera is not lined up with the optic exactly and your POI is toast.

I and another member, can't remember his name but it's back in the thread somewhere, messaged Sionyx about the mount deficiencies. I never got a response. Looking on amazon and ebay I find similar mounts and can be certain it's crap chineseum.

The Aurora is best suited as a handheld or helmet mounted unit.
View Quote
Im going to try my hand at putting it behind an EOTech the 1X look-through window and parallax free nature of the EOtech should work well with the aurora.

Eye relief won’t be great, but it’s a 5.56mm rifle so it shouldn’t hurt to get right up on it if needed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Im going to try my hand at putting it behind an EOTech the 1X look-through window and parallax free nature of the EOtech should work well with the aurora.

Eye relief won’t be great, but it’s a 5.56mm rifle so it shouldn’t hurt to get right up on it if needed.
View Quote
The Aurora behind a quality 1x is the only way it will work IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#34]
what exactly is the eye relief on this, and is it okay for old guy eyes?
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#35]
snip
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's why I need eye relief numbers....

Any thoughts on this duals model?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25567/duals_png-1054581.JPG
View Quote
I don't think they post it on their website

Your model looks awesome...my suggestion would be to make it adjustable so it can slide front/back for perfect fit
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Very nice.  I'm working on v2.0 of my crappy mount now.  I got a glass bed for my printer and have to figure out that part next as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Sexy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm intrigued by this thing, especially the new Sport model.

I live in an Urban / Suburban area thats dominated by deep pockets of shadow, interspersed with street lights every 50-100yds.

Similar to this:

How well will the Aurora work for seeing into those dark areas? Is it able to see past street lights?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
That would even be great in single arm config. Add additional holes for both forward/back and left/right adjustment perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Mine shipped. Ordered on 7/19, shipped (notification, haven't tracked yet) 8/14.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#42]
what exactly is the eye relief on this, and is it okay for old guy eyes?
View Quote
No idea on actual number - but if it helps, The camera mounting screw is about 1/4" in front of the very rear edge of the PVS-18 Shoe, on the MACHOS. I don't run the rubber eye-cup, and I am close to the end of adjustment on the RHINOII rails (meaning I have a ton of space on the rails going forward), so your angled mount would seem to be a good idea for even more adjustment? I would suggest trying to figure out interpupilary adjustment - a fixed distance would be limiting (probably a lot of returns).
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#43]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

I live in an Urban / Suburban area thats dominated by deep pockets of shadow, interspersed with street lights every 50-100yds.

How well will the Aurora work for seeing into those dark areas? Is it able to see past street lights?
View Quote
I have a ton of LED lights on my house exterior, and going off memory, I cant recall them causing any type of whiteout/bloom problems with the digital sensor - I think it would work well in that scenario - and HDR's job is actually to brighten up area's of shadow, to boot. I'm almost positive HDR doesn't effect performance at all, only helps - but still testing. Ask Sionyx about it's return policy when you order factory direct.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Bad news, no more Chaim mounts. He didn't actually make them, just resold them I guess? Anyway he's out and won't be getting more. I'm trying to get in touch with the original manufacturer, we'll see how it goes.

Those of you that 3D print... The market is yours
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Similar to this:
https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/empty-street-suburb-during-night-600w-1283702578.jpg

View Quote
That's about what my neighborhood looks like often enough, and I have no issue seeing past the lights. I have been using twilight settings since I'm in one of the biggest urban/suburban areas ever. It gives me color, so I could tell what color that car is in the pic and probably a few beyond it. I would not be able to read the license plate. Maybe with zoom but I've been just chasing my kid around with it.

Side note, I now know every house with night security cameras on my block and roughly where they are pointed
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 9:19:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#46]
Bad news, no more Chaim mounts. He didn't actually make them, just resold them I guess? Anyway he's out and won't be getting more. I'm trying to get in touch with the original manufacturer, we'll see how it goes.

View Quote
Damn! I wonder what the deal is with him not getting more? The secrecy behind that thing *is* pretty interesting - it's a damn fine piece of engineering. I'm happy for the guy that got mine, Woot!

Since he is done - the MACHOS is less than about $75 more - yeah, it's $75 - but you have the option of going Duals.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
I tried to research based on the few markings on the unit, back when I got mine. I never could find anything. It's a very generic company name on the unit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Kind of a bummer for us 'early adopters' the ~$30 shipping fee is now free!

If you're on the fence there's really no reason not to jump now (unless you want to not buy on the principal that those of us who preordered early got shafted with shipping costs )

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Similar to this:
https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/empty-street-suburb-during-night-600w-1283702578.jpg

View Quote
In general, pretty good. It can get overpowered by nearby light sources, making it impossible to see into shadows, but the light has to be substantial. I'm guessing this is true for any night vision.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#50]
You'd be crazy not the order the MACHO. Already comes with the proper dovetail - can be setup as dual, adjustable PID,  can be upgraded to run a FLIR/PVS14, etc
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top