Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't aware of the edge detection. I need to find that in the menu.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mancow:
I wasn't aware of the edge detection. I need to find that in the menu.
View Quote
Your avatar is distracting lol. Who is it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:57:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#3]
There are two menus in the Camera Mode.  The one is the SET button press & release, and the second is the SET button press and hold.  The edge detection is under press & hold >Overlay>Focus Peak>Off/On.  There are quite a few settings that unfortunately there is no printed manual to describe and follow.

I have been playing with the camera probably too much, but for instance, you can zoom and pan a recorded picture in review by double clicking the "Set" button to put it in full screen view.  Then press and hold the right side button and it zooms in.  A double click on the  up/down/left/right buttons move the image around the screen when zoomed.  Holding the left button zooms back out so you can advance to other shots.

They certainly built in a lot of features and really need to have a comprehensive manual describing them available soon.  I think once the word gets out and people begin seeing and using this device, it will be a success, but they need to up their marketing game in my opinion and sell the sizzle.

Here's a crappy pic I just took through the viewfinder with my phone to try and show the edge detection.  The red outline is the focused zone.

Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#4]
Thanks for all the info it definitely helps.

I wish there was a way to capture the entire view finder image with lat/long etc similar to your picture.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get the coordinates from your own photos if that's what you're after by opening the pic in windows and pull up "Info" from the "..." menu item.  It should give you a map with the location taken, and the X,Y also.  I don't think the camera system has any sort of screen capture available unless it's in the SiOnyx Aurora app itself.  As I stated, I just took a snapshot through the viewfinder of a live scene with my iPhone.  I also overwrote that XY because, interwebs...
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
How practical would it be to mount one of these on a helmet?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AtOne_Few] [#8]
Just saw this video on YouTube with a comparison of the Sionyx with a PVS 14  side by side.
Had to ask which version PVS, He said  it was a Gen 3 but he thought the Amber filter was affecting the light shown through the phone camera so hopefully he'll test it again without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0OIwVLHVcI&lc=z231hlaq4wbdgd5ps04t1aokg4y03kfp5s0uq3evba2pbk0h00410.1539955151843295&feature=em-comments
Sionyx Aurora & PVS-14 Comparisons
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:10:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#9]
Originally Posted By lew:
How practical would it be to mount one of these on a helmet?
View Quote
I'm not sure, but they are about the same size as a PVS-14, and have a standard camera thread on the bottom.  That black stripe on the camera lower left is a wrist strap I attached.   A useful feature built in is that the viewfinder has a proximity sensor, so it only illuminates when something is within about 2" of the camera body.  I want to check if this feature is switchable.

The camera weights about 9.7 oz., the ITT NV scope 12.3 oz.  Both with batteries installed.

While fooling around this morning I discovered a couple of features new to me.

1.  You can adjust the brightness of the picture review image by rotating the SCENE ring.  For review/playback of pics & videos, the NIGHT setting is the dimmest, and DAY is the brightest.  It makes quite a bit of difference in the viewfinder screen.

2.  While recording video, you can switch the SCENE ring between NIGHT, TWLT(Twilight), & DAY and the captured clip will be recorded in the different modes without interruption.  Pretty handy for getting to know the various light levels to expect usable footage, and also if the lighting changes while shooting a scene.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If the thread is standard camera 1/4-20 then a PVS-14 j-arm would work. Maybe get a machinist to precision mil the alignment notch?

If it works, get two and mount them with an IC light weight dual bridge.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It is the 1/4x20, it's specified on the website.  I'm looking forward to mounting it on my rail behind an Eotech.  I'll probably juryrig a simple bracket to clip one of my IR flashlights into.  I've been experimenting with them and the SiOnyx data claims the camera is sensitive between 400nm to 1100nm.

I think my 850nm flashlight is the most powerful, running on an 18650 Li-ion battery, but the 18650 940nm has a better, more focused, zoomable beam, and the little 940nm AA battery unit is very compact and easy to carry and use one handed with the camera.  All of them are a huge improvement in very low light conditions, but not really required unless you're approaching very dark ambient light.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought an Aurora and have been testing it against my DTNVGs (Echo WP) and MOD3s (Gen3 GP). I'd say it's light-gathering ability is a bit lower than Gen 2. It has a screen as small as a FLIR Scout TK and I personally wouldn't use it for head-mounted navigation (but hey more power to anybody who puts a setup together and tries that out).

All that said, the color twilight mode is fantastic and the added capabilities that many in this thread have alluded to show the potential of this tech. A couple revs more and this thing will be really compelling. As it is, it is an extremely capable device at it's price point for nighttime filming and to do better you'd probably have to go something like an IR converted Sony mirrorless camera that will cost you way more.

Biggest requests I have for the next rev are:

1. More light gathering ability--even if it costs more. Get it to at least Gen2 plus, unaided with supplemental IR light--now you're talking.
2. AutoFocus
3. Longer battery life

I've used this thing hiking, shooting, riding, driving--day and night--even underwater (day only) and it's run like a champ. Plus Sionyx customer support has been stellar whenever I've had any questions or in resolving a connection-dropping issue I had with the iOS app (quick tip: turn off Bluetooth in the actual Settings menu rather than just from the Control Center). I'm keeping mine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 9:37:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#13]
I have mentioned some of the IR illuminators I have been experimenting with and last night I took a photo using my latest from Amazon.  It's a single 18650 Li-ion 850nm light with 4 diodes in a square pattern.  The head is the same size as the barrel and zoomable.  It does not zoom to a round spot, but an irregular pattern.  I suppose that's because of the diode pattern.  Anyway, it's extremely bright in IR and seems pretty well made, especially for $16.99 with Prime shipping, including the 2300 ma Li-ion battery.

I took this photo with the lens pressed tightly into my palm while experimenting with the light spill.  The photo was taken with the SiOnyx Aurora in Night Mode.  I also have a video of the same scene.

Apparently our blood is pretty opaque to that frequency of light but other tissues, not so much.  I have noticed in the past that if you put an IR light under a blanket or other cloth covering that blocks visible light, about 20%-40% still passes thought it and will light up a room.

Anyway, you can easily hold this light in the same hand as the Aurora camera.  For $17 inc. the battery it is a bargain, and a cheap backup in my opinion.  The seller is: MakeTheOne.

Do I have too much spare time?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NVjunkie:
His thermal couldn't ID the animal but the $799 nv camera could?  Not sure I buy that.
View Quote
I seriously don't believe that. Thermal isn't invincible but it catches so much more than any NV device can
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By draver:
I have mentioned some of the IR illuminators I have been experimenting with and last night I took a photo using my latest from Amazon.  It's a single 18650 Li-ion 850nm light with 4 diodes in a square pattern.  The head is the same size as the barrel and zoomable.  It does not zoom to a round spot, but an irregular pattern.  I suppose that's because of the diode pattern.  Anyway, it's extremely bright in IR and seems pretty well made, especially for $16.99 with Prime shipping, including the 2300 ma Li-ion battery.

I took this photo with the lens pressed tightly into my palm while experimenting with the light spill.  The photo was taken with the SiOnyx Aurora in Night Mode.  I also have a video of the same scene.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71380/IR_Hand_JPG-712065.jpg

Apparently our blood is pretty opaque to that frequency of light but other tissues, not so much.  I have noticed in the past that if you put an IR light under a blanket or other cloth covering that blocks visible light, about 20%-40% still passes thought it and will light up a room.

Anyway, you can easily hold this light in the same hand as the Aurora camera.  For $17 inc. the battery it is a bargain, and a cheap backup in my opinion.  The seller is: MakeTheOne.

Do I have too much spare time?
View Quote
That is seriously rad. Awesome picture.

Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
I seriously don't believe that. Thermal isn't invincible but it catches so much more than any NV device can
View Quote
Perhaps the thermal image wasn't distinct enough, resulting in a vaguely quadruped-shaped form, in which case the better resolution of the Aurora would be better able to discern the surface features. Beyond that, I've no idea, and they're probably just goofballs shilling for their sponsor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:45:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#16]
There is one other feature of the SiOnyx Aurora camera that needs to be mentioned.

I travel internationally about 3 times a year.  Typically for about 2-3 weeks for each trip.  This is strictly for R&R, sightseeing, with family & friends.  One thing that has always been missing is the ability to take any of my night optics or thermal devices along due to the ITAR restrictions.  There have been many times I wish I had them and regretted not being able to have that capability available.  With the Aurora, I can now take this small device and illuminator and have NV ability and also be able to photograph or video besides.

This camera and a few small IR lights will always be in my travel backpack if I am carrying my passport.

PSA:  For those who have or intend to buy the Aurora, I find that if you zoom in 3 steps, (Button right side of SET) your view becomes 1 to 1, and your viewfinder image matches your normal perspective.  This allows you to walk and see the world with a view so that you can move about normally.  I imagine this would be useful for head mounting the camera, much like with a PVS-14.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#17]
What is the FOV on zoom level 3, roughly speaking?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:15:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#18]
I fooled around with it a little and at 3 clicks it appears to be right at 1 to 1 imaging.  I can look through the viewfinder and keep my other eye open and the screen images line up almost perfectly with the unaided view.  Try this with the corner of something square, like a picture frame to verify.  The vertical and horizonal edges match in and out of the screen.  I have walked around the house in total darkness and trust it enough now to go up and down stairs.  I also find that 2 clicks is still pretty close to natural, so it may vary by something as simple as how close your eye is to the screen.  I believe once the camera is switched off, it defaults to a non zoomed state upon a restart.

Edited to add:   I just reread your question about FOV, and realize I don't know.

I just compared the Aurora at 3 clicks zoom with a Gen 3 unit and it seems right around 70% horizonally, and 50% or so vertically.  I was actually able to use both in opposite eyes for a very weird effect, but not too practical I imagine.  Certainly not a deal killer to me, but YMMV.   If you want a greater FOV, then don't zoom in, if you want a 1-1 magnification, the 2-3 zoom steps works for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Hoping for a Black Friday Sionyx deal :)
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#20]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Hoping for a Black Friday Sionyx deal :)
View Quote
Ask and ye shall receive.

I just got a promo email that shows the SiOnyx Aurora camera now on sale, or reduced to $639.  I'd say if you are interested make your move.  When I bought mine on sale they didn't have an expiration date, and it disappeared without notice.  But this could also be the new retail price, I don't know.  It looks like a 20% discount, I got 10% a while back.

Here's the Link:

Aurora $639
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#21]
BTW, I'm still loving this camera and play with it every day.  I'm trying to learn the best settings and basically just amazed by the capabilities.

No Regrats !
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
BTW, I'm still loving this camera and play with it every day.  I'm trying to learn the best settings and basically just amazed by the capabilities.

No Regrats !
View Quote
can you post some more cool vids or pics. been eyeing one. seems to do well with an IR light
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By equilibrium1:

can you post some more cool vids or pics. been eyeing one. seems to do well with an IR light
View Quote
Did you see the other thread about NV a few weeks back?  I posted some other pics in that one that may help you.

NV thread

I have a night video that shows how well the camera works with IR, but it's too long to post here, but I'll try and cut a piece out and try that.  Basically using even the $10-$20 IR flashlights I got on Ebay & Amazon it's like turning on your car's HID headlights.  I have one light with a single AA and another with a single 18650 battery and they both really brighten up the scene immensely.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usaday] [#24]
Original post Edited: prelim comments and positive review withdrawn, unit stopped working, we'll see what happens
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It'd make a good addition for a get home bag as well for traveling outside of the US. I might have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#26]
I made a Too Long outdoor video to demo the camera with an IR flashlight but can't seem to get the hang of embedding the video here, so I'm posting the YouTube link for now.  If anyone wants to embed it and then send the format they used I'd appreciate it.   I misstated the cost of the flashlight as $12, when it actually was $17 I believe, but it does include an 18650 battery, so there's that...

SiOnyx With IR Illuminator

Amazon IR Flashlight w/battery

BTW, this video was recorded with my 850nm single cell 18650 Li-ion cell from the Amazon link.  I have 940nm flashlights powered by a single AA battery and one with a single 18650 battery that work well also.  Not quite as bright, but I don't know if that's because of the shorter wavelength, or just the light LED quality.  Less than $20 each though, so pretty cheap for backup.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Video link doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I reloaded the link, and it's working for me.  Try again please.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I got nothing with the video.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:09:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#30]
Is there a way I can upload a video to my Media folder?

This is a test from the "Share" spot on the YouTube for the video as #1, and the copied URL as Link #2.  I'm not sure why others cannot see the video, they both appear for me in the preview of this posting.

Link #1

Link #2
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:44:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hard_ware] [#31]
Copy and paste share link on your your tube video and see if others can link to it.

https://youtu.be/whskU6rWvNA
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Hard_ware:
Copy and paste share link on your your tube video and see if others can link to it.
View Quote
This is the "Share" link copied:

https://youtu.be/whskU6rWvNA
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Still nothing... Google search result:

Your search - https://youtu.be/whskU6rWvNA - did not match any documents.
Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have absolutely no idea what's going on with this.  I just pasted my previously posted link and it took me to this URL, which then displayed the video.  Maybe try and do the same with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whskU6rWvNA&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usaday] [#35]
Original post edited: prelim comments and positive review withdrawn, unit stopped working, we'll see what happens
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#36]
You can run any mode any time and even switch modes while recording video.  The battery is a non issue to me because I bought 2 spare batteries & an external charger on Amazon fo $14 total I think.  The battery is a standard NP-50 camera available cheaply.

The website says it captures 400-1100nm range, so I don't know if the selector is that restrictive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usaday] [#37]
Edited: prelim comments and positive review withdrawn, unit stopped working, we'll see what happens
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#38]
I think they have a return of 14-30 days as I recall.   Pretty squared away outfit I think.

I have no idea about WTF is up with YouTube.  I may try & repost it in a new account when I'm home again.  I still don't know why we can't upload videos to our media storage here.  I'm a member.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I think they have a return of 14-30 days as I recall.   Pretty squared away outfit I think.

I have no idea about WTF is up with YouTube.  I may try & repost it in a new account when I'm home again.  I still don't know why we can't upload videos to our media storage here.  I'm a member.
View Quote
@draver
maybe your videos are set on Private? check that?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I know less about YouTube than the far side of the moon.

I think I was able to switch that video to public from private, so it should appear from the last link.  If not, then I'll just start from scratch tomorrow.

Maybe if someone can actually view it, they could let me know it worked, and their impression?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usaday] [#41]
Edited: prelim comments and positive review withdrawn, unit stopped working
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#42]
You can also adjust the overall brightness using the 4 way control pad on top. I find that -.3 seems to be the best usually.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mancow:
You can also adjust the overall brightness using the 4 way control pad on top. I find that -.3 seems to be the best usually.
View Quote
I've experimented with the gain control a little and find that it seems to be most effective at improving the image when using an IR illuminator in very, very low light conditions.  To my eye, +1 gives about the most improvement, however it will go to +2.  It tends to wash out contrast at the higher levels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Draver, now that the video is sorted out: you've sold me on it. I think this camera will be perfect for my requirements. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm really interested in this product. Seems like a decent device to get my feet wet without going all the way in. I'd love a PVS-14 but I'm in a rather urban setting and no direct access to property to take full advantage. I just don't know how much use I'd get out of a Gen 3 device.

Thanks to all for sharing their experience and knowledge as this is an area I know very little about.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By lew:
Draver, now that the video is sorted out: you've sold me on it. I think this camera will be perfect for my requirements. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
View Quote
I'm glad my feeble attempts finally paid off.

I hope the $639 price holds for a while.  I sent the link to a buddy who says he's buying, but he tends to procrastinate.  I noticed in the promo video kel just posted, (Thanks for that) I have the same quality of visibility with the IR illuminator.  It actually looks better with IR for the SiOnyx than the Gen 3 device.  The camera seems VERY sensitive to 850 & 940 IR, even the cheapo ones I was using.  I'd highly recommend something similar as must have accessories.  940nm will give you much more stealth, but is probably around 30% less brightness, as always, get both, they're cheap enough.  Remember, 2 is 1, and 1 is none.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome. I was going to ask about 850 vs. 940nm, but you covered that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usaday] [#49]
Originally Posted By kel:

...at the end of this video there's a DBAL in vis and IR. Fast forward to 6:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0OIwVLHVcI&t=312s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0OIwVLHVcI
View Quote
@kel Thank you for the link.

Edited post: prelim comments and positive review withdrawn, unit stopped working
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top