BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
Already have duals, but this is seriously tempting at current price.

Anyone tried a Notoros dual dovetail for mounting?  If the screw hole on the aurora is the same threading as the j-arm attachment for PVS-14 it might work for dovetail mount users like myself.

If I end up getting one of these I will report back, as I already have G24 mount and Notoros adapter.
View Quote
Farrowtech makes an adapter so pvs14 mounts can screw into the Aurora. The question then becomes whether the Aurora will be canted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Got my shipping notification today.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:41:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR4U] [#3]
Put in my order.  Interested to see what people have cooking with mounts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:48:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moozilla] [#4]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:
Already have duals, but this is seriously tempting at current price.

Anyone tried a Notoros dual dovetail for mounting?  If the screw hole on the aurora is the same threading as the j-arm attachment for PVS-14 it might work for dovetail mount users like myself.

If I end up getting one of these I will report back, as I already have G24 mount and Notoros adapter.
View Quote
@Klaustrophobia I'm in the same boat as you, but I think it's gonna be canted. Either way I have on on order so I'll report my findings!
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
fyi, I designed a dual mount that can be 3d printed. However, I do not have a sionyx yet or any mounts or anything. Let me know if it should be (A) bayonet mount for cheap $20 Norotros arm, or (B) Wilcox wedge mount which is more $$.
View Quote
@gaspain doesn't look like anyone has made a single mount for wilcox (dovetail) if you're looking to gain some market share.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

@St1650
Hows the fit of the TATM to the FMA EXF helmet NVG shroud? I've heard they can be wobbly?

Where did you get the universal (dovetail?) plate conversion?
View Quote
You can get a real plate from your usual vendors (TNV, ownthenight, modarmory, etc)
https://www.modarmory.com/product/norotos-conversion-kit-to-bracket-universal-shroud/

But I just got one from a 15$ rhino clone and will simply use the backplate and fit it to my authentic Norotos TATM. I'll show some pics when my aurora shows up ...
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 4:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#7]
Echo arms helmet mount for recording NOT for using as a monocular

https://echoarms.com/collections/helmet-mounts-and-lights/products/sionyx-aurora-helmet-mount
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Shipping just got updated to show I'll get it on Tuesday.  Btw, I 3D printed a self-designed bridge on my Ender 3 Pro.  I doubt it will be perfect but it will be a starting point. I'm using a milsurp Norotos RHNO off of eBay, a dovetail mount from TNVC, and a Wilcox M24 to mount the printed part.  If it works I'll upload some pics and/or the .stl file.  Can't wait to try this thing out. If it works well I may have to order a 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered off of B&H... will be interesting to see when they get their batch in to ship.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
@mancow @beavis1957

When did you guys order? I ordered on 7/15 and no shipping status yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By moozilla:
@mancow @beavis1957

View Quote
7/10 - announcement date I think.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#12]
@mancow @beavis1957

View Quote
I ordered July, 16.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys...odd that mine hasn't shipped, ah well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 10:55:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#14]
No shipping conf for mine either - waited a few days from announcement though.

Edit: Order confirmation on 19 July.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 3:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Borscht] [#15]
Sport Pre-ordered! I'll probably tape off the switch markings with some 1/8" line tape and krylon it.

Any shopping list for rigging a budget left eye monocular setup?

I have an ACH and a snowboarding (bump) helmet that I'll setup because they aren't being used for anything else... So I'm thinking I need:

-two rhino II helmet mounts...(they seem to be a cheap part)
-1 rhino II lowering arm

Then what? Do I need a J arm? I'm a little lost to what I need to attach the monocular to the lowering arm so I can adjust it to my eye. Help please, links help!

I have read a fair amount about IR illumination and aux battery packs/wiring....just trying to get a mount sorted out without buying stuff I don't need.

Im excited!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Jarms dont work.

Right now you can buy a Chaim for norotros bayonett adapter from some dude that is word of mouth only, look back a few pages.

Or Lion tactical solutions has some dovetail Wilcox type mounts. I dont think they work with norotros bayonette.

If you can wait, I will have a 3d printed bayonnet and dovetail adapters available once I get my sport model.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rapidfire_85:
Sport Pre-ordered! I'll probably tape off the switch markings with some 1/8" line tape and krylon it.

Any shopping list for rigging a budget left eye monocular setup?

I have an ACH and a snowboarding (bump) helmet that I'll setup because they aren't being used for anything else... So I'm thinking I need:

-two rhino II helmet mounts...(they seem to be a cheap part)
-1 rhino II lowering arm

Then what? Do I need a J arm? I'm a little lost to what I need to attach the monocular to the lowering arm so I can adjust it to my eye. Help please, links help!

I have read a fair amount about IR illumination and aux battery packs/wiring....just trying to get a mount sorted out without buying stuff I don't need.

Im excited!!!
View Quote
You will need something to clip into the Rhino II, which comes with a Bayonet/Horn adapter. Most people here are using a mount called the CHAIM mount. Other options are from Lion's Gear Solutions, but both are for Dual setups, but can be used with just 1 (I personally think the Hyperion is ugly, but own the MACHOS). You will also need the correct Wilcox Shoe for whatever Arm/Mount you go with - the M-24 Shoe for CHAIM, or the PVS-18 Shoe for MACHOS, which also requires changing the RHINO II to a Dovetail, from Bayonet.

Go back and read this entire thread, there is a ton of info.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine is here!!! It looked cool for the 45 seconds I had before the battery died. Oh well, not at all dark here anyway
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My order confirmation was July 15th, and I got my shipping notifcation Friday (8/2).  Oh boy, now to stop thinking and blindly purchase components so I can mount it!
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a shipping notification on 8/1. Excited to finally have it in my hands.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]
To all of you waiting. I have 6 minutes behind mine. Not at all sure how to dial it in. No kids napped today so I’m behind the curve.

Here’s a pic I took into my garage. About 3 minutes ago. No windows and one little led on the freezer. iPhone set to high resolution. Attachment Attached File

Same angle, same time, taking a pic of the SiOnyx with the same phone Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
To all of you waiting. I have 6 minutes behind mine. Not at all sure how to dial it in. No kids napped today so I'm behind the curve.

Here's a pic I took into my garage. About 3 minutes ago. No windows and one little led on the freezer. iPhone set to high resolution. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/D94CAAA1-78B8-487E-8FDC-E115D4C40007_jpeg-1041256.JPG

Same angle, same time, taking a pic of the SiOnyx with the same phone https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/B31F2A30-CB22-4EFC-BD62-57FEF5D1C87B_png-1041257.JPG
View Quote
looking at the second photo it appears you have the camera set on video mode and not photo mode. That first picture looks to be the first frame of a video. Change your dial to the picture setting and while holding the Aurora steady single press the shutter button and it should take a photo
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
looking at the second photo it appears you have the camera set on video mode and not photo mode. That first picture looks to be the first frame of a video. Change your dial to the picture setting and while holding the Aurora steady single press the shutter button and it should take a photo
View Quote
oh sweet. told you i didn't know what I was doing. Also no memory card ATM so no dice on taking pics with it yet
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:12:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#24]
In my experience, Photo or Video mode *in darkness* with either Auto or 1.5 sec Shutter OR 720p/30 produces the same image on the EVF - which is also the best looking. Photos or Videos always seem to look a bit worse than what you actually see in the EVF. There *are* differences in the settings, they just don't appear to impact the EVF image *in darkness*. For instance, if you change to 60p in video mode, you'll see degradation, and if you leave the Photo mode at 1.5 sec Shutter - in lighter conditions, the white balance is blown out.

Your best still images in darkness will be with a 1.5 sec Shutter - but you must be absolutely still or it will blur.

720p/24 seems to be more "laggy" than 30p (and this is only when the Aurora is moving, not the target - to test, snap your fingers in frame = zero lag WITH EIS OFF!), which makes sense - I detect no image difference between them, and leave it at 30p. I also see no improvement at 360p.

Go back and a few of us have posted all settings. Some others off the top of my head are EVF brightness to LOW, Auto Shutoff (so when you flip them up on the helmet, the EVF will go off). Still playing with HDR - it brightens any shadow area, which is good, but still trying to see if it impacts image quality.

Be sure to zoom in 3 clicks every time you turn it on, that is the 1:1 setting. For some reason, this doesn't "stick". Exposure setting *does* stick however - I usually have it at -0.7 or -1.0. A lot of them are personal preference other than EIS OFF :-)

Edit: I also think that taking a pic of the EVF with the iPhone (or other quality camera) may actually produce a better image, than just posting a pic taken with the Aurora itself - but I'm not a photo resolution expert. But I always seem to go "that's not what I saw in the EVF when I pressed the button - it looked way better than that!"
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beavis1957] [#25]
Edit: OK I'm impressed.  I've never looked through gen3 NV but with the fandyfire light this thing is great for my purposes.  My 3d printed bridge even works (very crude - using fasteners I had around the shop).  I plan to update it to improve, but the RHNOII is so adjustable that it luckily will work for walking in the woods tonight.

Moto Z4 photo:
Attachment Attached File

Viewfinder pic of same shot:
Attachment Attached File

Helmet rig:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got mine. I'll say from a few minutes looking around in a dark room I'm impressed. Trying out my printed mount later tonight after the kids are down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice work on the mount - a more visually pleasing Hyperion Yes, I love the RHINO II, blue collar, working man's mount :thumbsup:
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Out for delivery.

I need a helmet mount adapter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Woohoo, it arrived and out playing with it now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Got mine today. It's interesting. A suburban environment has plenty of ambient  light. The 3x zoom is a powerful feature. The main downside seems to be the graininess as light wanes. Walking around with it as a monocular was easy. I rode a bike with it a  bit. I need a lanyard bad.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I grabbed one.

Can't wait for it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I got my Aurora sport today. I have to go get an SD card and I'll take some pictures of it with my Atpial-c. I still have to sort of figure out all the features on this little guy but so far it's been fun to play around with.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Man, I must have missed the boat on the first shipment. Still odd others who ordered after got theirs. The NV gods are punishing me
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Man, I must have missed the boat on the first shipment. Still odd others who ordered after got theirs. The NV gods are punishing me
View Quote
No shipping info for me either, ordered on the 19th.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

No shipping info for me either, ordered on the 19th.
View Quote
Me too.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AR4U:
Me too.  
View Quote
We must be in the second wave!

I decided on Cerakote "C" air-dry series, with a Preval sprayer, for the "Un-Boating" operation - MagPul FDE or OD Green, still deciding.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

We must be in the second wave!

I decided on Cerakote "C" air-dry series, with a Preval sprayer, for the "Un-Boating" operation - MagPul FDE or OD Green, still deciding.
View Quote
I look forward to seeing the results.  Looks silly with R2D2 hanging off of my face.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By beavis1957:
I look forward to seeing the results.  Looks silly with R2D2 hanging off of my face.
View Quote
Yea, and my setup would be Black/Green *and* White/Blue (Duals) It's Guinea Pig territory for sure - but its IPwhatever water resistant and Cerakote is really thin supposedly. I'm going to let each coat flash dry, and press all buttons with a gloved hand. Unless someone beats me to it
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Can I get a basic list of what is needed for mounting the unit to a helmet?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:
View Quote
yes, especially for the super budget oriented
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeah, that be me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Synyster06Gates:

+1
+2
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
So playing around with this thing so far I'm pretty impressed.

First, I ordered and received one of the farrowtech adapters, and while it works, kinda, I would not recommend it for use with a J-arm. It just puts the camera at an odd angle to look through efficiently. Ill be looking at some of the other mounts that people have experimented with on here.

On to the camera itself, it's a camera. Most if not all the major details have already been covered with it. I like the ability to switch the various camera settings, though it took me a while to figure out I'd have better overall control by using the app. The eye piece seems tiny until you really get your eye up to it, I'd be curious if anyone could make a replacement eye piece with a bigger screen with more control.  Also given how easy it is to remove the eyepiece, to insert a sim card and the battery, I'd  be really curious about the ability to make a much smaller dual lense/eye piece and run the electronics and battery to the back of a helmet. I most definitely do not have the skill to make such a device but looking at the various pieces it looks like it could theoretically be possible.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#44]
Well, I'm finally going to to FO on the Sport preorder for $360. I plan to direct mount it to my rifle behind an EOTech EXPS. If it's super impressive I might pick up a second for a binocular helmet setup.

I picked up a 300mW 980nm laser diode and some optic elements to produce a homemade laser illuminator. I figure if the Aurora can see 980nm fantastic and Gen3 ITT NV can't, I might as well be more or less passive versus traditional NV.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

I picked up a 300mW 980nm laser diode and some optic elements to produce a homemade laser illuminator. I figure if the Aurora can see 980nm fantastic and Gen3 ITT NV can't, I might as well be more or less passive versus traditional NV.
View Quote
Please keep us updated. If it turns out well, I'll pay you to make me one
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:

The eye piece seems tiny until you really get your eye up to it... and run the electronics and battery to the back of a helmet.
View Quote
The rubber Eyecup can be removed (it just snaps on) - removing it REALLY opens up the FOV. I have the Lion's Gear PVS-14 Eyecup adapters that replace the stock eye cup. Haven't used yet, but if they narrow the FOV back down, I may just go back to no eyecup at all - it looks really good that way. I actually can't see any EVF light splash (set on Low) with the naked eye in a mirror - only when looking with NODs. Not sure about your second part, but most of us are running a USB cable to an Anker battery in a counterweight pouch. The only slight niggle (unless fixed in future firmware updates) is you need to unplug from the external, turn the camera on, then re-plug - but it takes about 2 seconds, so isn't that big a deal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:40:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#47]
View Quote
You need a helmet with a Shroud- cheapest is an Airsoft Bump I would imagine. Then you need a Mount - again, they *do* make Airsoft replica's of Wilcox G24's etc... BUT - do you want to trust your device to the metal quality of Airsoft items? That's up to you - I guess with a Tether there is less risk. An affordable *real* mount is the RHINO II off of Ebay. Then you need an Arm to go between the camera and the mount - I haven't checked prices, but the Lion's Gear Hyperion *may* be the cheapest - but DHL from Romania(?) adds about $25. Most of us here are using an arm called the CHAIM, I would call it Mil-Spec quality - it is really friggen nice. You can PM me if you want his email - discuss pricing with him. If you decide to go Duals at any point, the Lion's Gear MACHOS is nice. Finally, depending on what arm you go with, you need a Shoe to screw into the camera - the real ones are pretty cheap, so I'd just go with the M-24 shoe or the PVS-18 shoe from TNVC or Own The Night, depending on your arm.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#48]
The post above nails it. I went with a Lancer helmet off of Amazon and an eBay RHNOII. You have to remove whatever the mount is (not sure the mechanism) on the RHNOII and replace it with a dovetail mount, which I bought for like 55 bucks at TNVC (there are just roll pins keeping it on the RHNO). Then I bought a Wilcox M24 to mount to a 3D printed bridge I CAD'd up, and mounted the camera directly to the bridge. See my post with pics up the page. All in, it was probably 200 bucks worth of stuff to get it to work (not counting the 3D printer).
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By beavis1957:
The post above nails it. I went with a Lancer helmet off of Amazon and an eBay RHNOII. You have to remove whatever the mount is (not sure the mechanism) on the RHNOII and replace it with a dovetail mount, which I bought for like 55 bucks at TNVC (there are just roll pins keeping it on the RHNO). Then I bought a Wilcox M24 to mount to a 3D printed bridge I CAD'd up, and mounted the camera directly to the bridge. See my post with pics up the page. All in, it was probably 200 bucks worth of stuff to get it to work (not counting the 3D printer).
View Quote
Yea, if your arm is for Dovetail (like the MACHOS) - you need to change the RHINO II from a Baynet/Horn receptacle, to Dovetail, like you said. But if you use a CHAIM - it is Bayonet, so you can use the RHINO II as is. Just want to make that clear for others, cuz I was condused as hell too when I started out - JoeMal and fortydelta et. al squared me away
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Ahhhh. Gotcha. This stuff is very confusing for us noobs the first time through.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top