Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 121
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
So apologies for my ignorance on the subject, but since this is a camera and not a traditional tube NVG, why does it have to be the size of a PVS-14? Why not have the camera optic/eyepiece all in a very small piece with wires that run to a separate processer/battery pack?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
My Wicox shoe came in today. I should have the dovetail to horn interface on Tuesday. Then I can stab it into a rhno mount like the other cool guys.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96899/med_gallery_139776_8407_511595_jpg-812808.JPG
View Quote
Where can you buy that mount? Link?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, it's just that the m24 shoe pin is slightly bigger than the Aurora hole. Just file a little on the sides of the pin and it will work. Took me about 5 minutes at the kitchen counter.
View Quote
Thanks, I just ordered two so I can setup duals.

Now to decide... RQE or Wilcox bridge?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 5:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cledford3] [#4]
Does Wilcox mount (m24?) actually cost over $400 bucks?!  What else (aside from helmet) is required?

Any other more modestly priced options?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cledford3:
Does Wilcox mount (m24?) actually cost over $400 bucks?!  What else (aside from helmet) is required?

Any other more modestly priced options?

Thanks!
View Quote
The m24 SHOE is $35-40.

A BRIDGE is big time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]

The m24 SHOE is $35-40.

A BRIDGE is big time.
View Quote
I paid $77.90 shipped for two from Ultimate Night Vision.

The bridge will cost about as much as an Aurora.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:56:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiplash_83] [#7]
Originally Posted By airmandaniel:
So apologies for my ignorance on the subject, but since this is a camera and not a traditional tube NVG, why does it have to be the size of a PVS-14? Why not have the camera optic/eyepiece all in a very small piece with wires that run to a separate processer/battery pack?
View Quote
I'm no subject matter expert, but I believe it wasn't originally intended to function as NVG but rather an action camera. I'm sure the intended market is used to something similar to a GoPro. I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cledford3] [#8]

The m24 SHOE is $35-40.

A BRIDGE is big time.
View Quote
Are there other options for bridges - other than Wilcox?  I'm cash flow limited and don't need top tier kit - just something that works.

Also (and sorry for the noob questions) - what is the "arm" that hold the optic to the mounting platform (ie. helmet?)?  The bridge is to run two optics side by side - correct?

In the end I'm trying to figure out what is required to use the thing head mounted like a PVS14.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Are there other options for bridges - other than Wilcox?  I'm cash flow limited and don't need top tier kit - just something that works.

Also (and sorry for the noob questions) - what is the "arm" that hold the optic to the mounting platform (ie. helmet?)?  The bridge is to run two optics side by side - correct?

In the end I'm trying to figure out what is required to use the thing head mounted like a PVS14.

Thanks!
View Quote
Lion's Hyperion on Facebook. It's a 3D printed bridge mount. PD is non adjustable. You have to send him measurements. Around $100. Then use a PVS-18 shoe to attach the bridge to a dovetail arm, such as a Norotros AKA2 or converted RHNO.

The basic components to mounting NVG on a helmet are:
Helmet
Shroud mounts to helmet
Arm mounts to Shround
Arm to device, via whatever. On standard NVG it could be a "bayonet" style j-arm or dovetail thing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Lion's Hyperion on Facebook. It's a 3D printed bridge mount. PD is non adjustable. You have to send him measurements. Around $100. Then use a PVS-18 shoe to attach the bridge to a dovetail arm, such as a Norotros AKA2 or converted RHNO.

The basic components to mounting NVG on a helmet are:
Helmet
Shroud mounts to helmet
Arm mounts to Shround
Arm to device, via whatever. On standard NVG it could be a "bayonet" style j-arm or dovetail thing.
View Quote
It's a very cost effective solution TBH.

I'm just a gear snob, so I went the other way.

Don't be like me :)
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 6:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#11]
Holy crap, Own The Night ships fast.

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know of any other forums or resources where the SiOnyx Aurora is being discussed?  (FB groups, etc). This thread has been a wealth of information and help - but I figured I’d ask to see if there was anything going on elsewhere.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know of any other forums or resources where the SiOnyx Aurora is being discussed?  (FB groups, etc). This thread has been a wealth of information and help - but I figured I’d ask to see if there was anything going on elsewhere.

Thanks!
View Quote
Not to my knowledge, I've done some searches and haven't found anything as indepth as this thread.

I've also pointed out to Sionyx that they should check into this thread. In fact, I just looked and saw they have an industry page.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to my knowledge, I've done some searches and haven't found anything as indepth as this thread.

I've also pointed out to Sionyx that they should check into this thread. In fact, I just looked and saw they have an industry page.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Good catch. Added them to my board.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:

Good catch. Added them to my board.
View Quote
Smart move on their part.

Direct user feedback here along with other target groups will result in their ability to deliver what will profit them, and meet the demand of their consumer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Skip to 17:15
Trex arms talks to sionyx at shot show

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1QwspCnSVkg
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By smeeg:

View Quote
Well that was disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
Originally Posted By smeeg:

But... Possible upgrades coming? F1.2 lenses maybe?
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 12:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#19]
2019 SHOT Show with T.REX ARMS - Part 3

Skip to 17:12 mark for a nothing burger
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QwspCnSVkg
Skip to 17:12 mark for a nothing burger
View Quote
My encounter with the Sionyx guy was not positive at the show. I'm not gonna shit on them or anything here, but they won't be seeing any of my personal money or any aftermarket support/accessories from my employer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:23:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#21]
I noticed that the Night Optics "Brilliance" line uses an f1.12 lens.

Anybody know if you CAN remove the objective lense on the Aurora and replace it with something like that?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Any recommendations on a *budget* IR laser?  I'd like something to rail mount and that would be reasonably priced and halfway decent.  The good one seem to start at around $400 and that is a bit steep at the moment.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Any recommendations on a *budget* IR laser?  I'd like something to rail mount and that would be reasonably priced and halfway decent.  The good one seem to start at around $400 and that is a bit steep at the moment.

Thanks!
View Quote
Zenitco perst-1 looks good, for not much over $100.   No personal experience with one. I ordered a perst-4plus yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

Zenitco perst-1 looks good, for not much over $100.   No personal experience with one. I ordered a perst-4plus yesterday.
View Quote
@Honda4828 Did you order from Ivan Tactical? Ebay? I wasnt to try the Perst-1, but don't know where to order from.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
The Zenitco Klesh IR model is around $400 for laser + LED illuminator. The illuminator also has a strobe function which is amusing, I guess its the same circuitry as the regular flashlight version.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:
@Honda4828 Did you order from Ivan Tactical? Ebay? I wasnt to try the Perst-1, but don't know where to order from.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

I ordered from Zentico on eBay, so its coming from Russia.  I would have ordered from Ivan but the checkout process was not very clear on how to use PayPal. I didn’t want to use another form of payment and have to deal with confirmation bs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By carlos87:
The Zenitco Klesh IR model is around $400 for laser + LED illuminator. The illuminator also has a strobe function which is amusing, I guess its the same circuitry as the regular flashlight version.
View Quote
The klesh iR shows like $230 on Ivan’s web site. Not sure what the illum would add up to, it does have a 4mw laser.  Probably worth the extra $100 for the illum. Nice find!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Curiosity question.

A lot of people say that nv photos don't show the real clarity, since the camera isn't as sensitive as the eye. But, the sionyx is more sensitive, right?

Anyone try talking a picture through a pvs 14 (or other nod) with the sionyx to see how close it is to reality?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SDet:
Curiosity question.

A lot of people say that nv photos don't show the real clarity, since the camera isn't as sensitive as the eye. But, the sionyx is more sensitive, right?

Anyone try talking a picture through a pvs 14 (or other nod) with the sionyx to see how close it is to reality?
View Quote
If you stack NVG's can you see into the future night?

The Sionyx as a daytime camera is not as good as your cell phone camera. Sacrifices were made in it's daytime capabilities to enhance it's night capabilities. So I imagine mounting a SiOnyx on daytime mode behind a PVS in a dark environment would not look very clear.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#30]

If you stack NVG's can you see into the future night?

The Sionyx as a daytime camera is not as good as your cell phone camera. Sacrifices were made in it's daytime capabilities to enhance it's night capabilities. So I imagine mounting a SiOnyx on daytime mode behind a PVS in a dark environment would not look very clear.
View Quote
I just looked through my SiOnyx and an ITT 6015 Gen 3 while the camera was in all 3 modes, day, twilight and IR.  The image looked pretty much the same as it does through just the 6015, so I'd say except for the hassle of aligning the two devices, you do not seem to lose much, if anything in resolution, brightness or clarity.  Of course you just see the NV greenscreen instead of the IR or Twilight color modes, so there doesn't seem to be any advantage to stacking the optics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By draver:

I just looked through my SiOnyx and an ITT 6015 Gen 3 while the camera was in all 3 modes, day, twilight and IR.  The image looked pretty much the same as it does through just the 6015, so I'd say except for the hassle of aligning the two devices, you do not seem to lose much, if anything in resolution, brightness or clarity.  Of course you just see the NV greenscreen instead of the IR or Twilight color modes, so there doesn't seem to be any advantage to stacking the optics.
View Quote
I was thinking about it being better than a cellphone photo. To better represent the nv.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure what you mean by "Better Than A Cellphone Picture"?  The G3 tube can't enhance the pixel count of the SiOnyx, and the night vision of the camera does not increase the light gathering of the Gen 3.  All that happens is you now have the ability to take a picture a little easier through the NV with the camera vs. the phone.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm not sure what you mean by "Better Than A Cellphone Picture"?  The G3 tube can't enhance the pixel count of the SiOnyx, and the night vision of the camera does not increase the light gathering of the Gen 3.  All that happens is you now have the ability to take a picture a little easier through the NV with the camera vs. the phone.

What am I missing?
View Quote
I think he may mean for displaying nightvision photos online like here on arf. Everyone always says that NV photos online don't look the same as the real thing. In other words, would taking a picture with the SiOnyx give a better visual representation vs a cell phone.

I think
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 2:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: carlos87] [#34]
Originally Posted By f402mech:

I think he may mean for displaying nightvision photos online like here on arf. Everyone always says that NV photos online don't look the same as the real thing. In other words, would taking a picture with the SiOnyx give a better visual representation vs a cell phone.

I think
View Quote
Yeah its kind of like cell phone pictures of an old TV. Your brain can piece together a smooth image despite the analog tube device's imperfection, but in a still frame it looks lackluster
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Are most of you using this with a red dot to hunt with? Does the helmet setup interfere with a variable optic?
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Any long term updates on these
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#37]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Any long term updates on these
View Quote
Only that I've had mine since last summer and there have been no problems or issues yet.  I still use it almost daily just to keep familiar and because I'm somewhat still in awe of how well it works.  Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I have two other ITT gen 3 devices, and prefer using the Aurora.

I just logged into my iPhone app and found an update was pending so I ran that.  No real changes that I noticed right away, I'll research this and see if anything material has changed.  All my saved photos are still present for those who might wonder.  I suppose I could have pulled the SD card first, but didn't.

I still recommend the Amazon IR 940nm flashlight I bought a while back for $19.  It's going strong and has a pretty decent zoomable beam and seems solidly built.  Here's a link for those interested.

Amazon FandyFire 940 IR Flashlight

Edited to add:

Now that I think about it, I'm going to order another of these lights as a backup.  It's inexpensive, and a sure thing from my experience.  Sometimes these type of things are hard to find, and this one is pretty decent for chump change.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll have to do the update tonight. I haven't played with mine in awhile, due to RAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Those of you running these to hunt - can you see the reticle of an optical zoom scope through the Aurora or would it be recommended to use an illuminated reticle scope or red dot with a magnifier?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll have to do the update tonight. I haven't played with mine in awhile, due to RAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY.
View Quote
I shot an email to tech support and got this back in about 10 minutes:

"Hi Dale,

Good to hear from you. That was a firmware update for the camera. We’ve added languages

and fixed a few minor bugs.

Best

Bill – SiOnyx Customer Care"

I dealt with him when I was buying my camera last August and he was very helpful then also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Those of you running these to hunt - can you see the reticle of an optical zoom scope through the Aurora or would it be recommended to use an illuminated reticle scope or red dot with a magnifier?
View Quote
@JoeMal
I posted about this, and some pics, several pages back. To rifle mount the camera, the best thing to do is have a laser as an aiming point also.

If you mount the camera in front of your optic, your POI will be different because the camera most likely will not be perfectly aligned with the optic. Additionally, if it is a magnified optic, it will be magnifying the pixels and will not be clear at all.

You could mount the camera behind the optic, I only tried this with a red dot. It was... ok.... but having a laser and then using the laser through the camera is the way to go. Then you can use all the zooming, brightness, and focus controls like they were meant to be used.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#42]

@JoeMal
I posted about this, and some pics, several pages back. To rifle mount the camera, the best thing to do is have a laser as an aiming point also.

If you mount the camera in front of your optic, your POI will be different because the camera most likely will not be perfectly aligned with the optic. Additionally, if it is a magnified optic, it will be magnifying the pixels and will not be clear at all.

You could mount the camera behind the optic, I only tried this with a red dot. It was... ok.... but having a laser and then using the laser through the camera is the way to go. Then you can use all the zooming, brightness, and focus controls like they were meant to be used.
View Quote
10-4. I should have specified I was asking about using the camera on a helmet mount.

My goal is a helmet mount where I can always see what's going on without having to wave my gun around... But still have access to a bit of zoom when it's time to shoot
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
10-4. I should have specified I was asking about using the camera on a helmet mount.

My goal is a helmet mount where I can always see what's going on without having to wave my gun around... But still have access to a bit of zoom when it's time to shoot
View Quote
It is very difficult to duck your head down and try to position a helmet mounted device behind a optic mount. Just use the zoom on the camera itself, and a laser aiming device.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I took a few photos for my Amazon review of the 940 IR flashlight from a recent post.  I thought I'd post them here.  I was experimenting with uploading pics from my phone and so here are the results.

This is down my driveway with the flashlight zoom in flood setting.   These were taken this morning around 4 AM.  My neighbor leaves his porch light on, so that's the added illumination seen by my SiOnyx in color IR mode.

This is the same scene with the light zoomed in to highlight a house window measured at 100 yards away by my Leica rangefinder.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I took a few photos for my Amazon review of the 940 IR flashlight from a recent post.  I thought I'd post them here.  I was experimenting with uploading pics from my phone and so here are the results.

This is down my driveway with the flashlight zoom in flood setting.   These were taken this morning around 4 AM.  My neighbor leaves his porch light on, so that's the added illumination seen by my SiOnyx in color IR mode.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71380/85CADF00-08F0-414C-92B7-392419A9FB50-858626.jpg

This is the same scene with the light zoomed in to highlight a house window measured at 100 yards away by my Leica rangefinder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71380/BCA0F17A-3A7D-4D48-ACF4-91711698ED9E-858625.jpg
View Quote
Thank you for the pictures. That looks impressive
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#46]
JoeMal,

Thank you.

I just put in my order for another of the FandyFire 940nm lights.  I figure for less than $20 I can just throw it in a drawer in case the first one craps out.  I've frequently regretted not buying backup units of anything that exceeds my needs and expectations.  2 is 1, etc.

Same thing happens a lot at Costco where you might see an item on the shelf ONCE then gone forever.

This unit is pretty small also, compared to my EDC NiteCore P12, which is also an 18650 single cell.  A 940nm wavelength light apparently is not as good a match for Gen 3 tubes as it is for the SiOnyx.  I have an 850nm light and they both look the same through the Aurora, but the G3 units favor the 850nm.   SiOnyx specs describe the spectrum range as up to 1100nm for the Aurora.  The emitter is also much less visible for the 940 lamps in my limited experience.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fortydelta] [#47]
JoeMal,

Thank you.

I just put in my order for another of the FandyFire 940nm lights.  I figure for less than $20 I can just throw it in a drawer in case the first one craps out.  I've frequently regretted not buying backup units of anything that exceeds my needs and expectations.  2 is 1, etc.

Same thing happens a lot at Costco where you might see an item on the shelf ONCE then gone forever.

This unit is pretty small also, compared to my EDC NiteCore P12, which is also an 18650 single cell.  A 940nm wavelength light apparently is not as good a match for Gen 3 tubes as it is for the SiOnyx.  I have an 850nm light and they both look the same through the Aurora, but the G3 units favor the 850nm.   SiOnyx specs describe the spectrum range as up to 1100nm for the Aurora.  The emitter is also much less visible for the 940 lamps in my limited experience.
View Quote
YOU WILL KILL US ALL WITH YOUR OUT OF BAND TALK!

Just kidding. I don't get what all the secrecy and hush hush talk is about in this forum and higher wavelength IR. The real reason I want higher IR is because I can see it and most others cannot. That doesn't make me ISIS, does it?

I would like to find a helmet mountable size 940nm or above light.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Any recommendation for red dot (or other non-magnification) sight systems that work with the Aurora when rail mounted?  Preferably something quality?  Here is a video where a "Sightmark" is mounted on a 10/22 and it looks good - however, I'd prefer something from a reputable manufacturer.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b37CBrnbkMc
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Are most of you using this with a red dot to hunt with? Does the helmet setup interfere with a variable optic?
View Quote
Exceedingly pleased with mine.  So much so would love to buy  2nd.  Not so enamored with the literal hundreds and hundreds and hundreds required to use as monocular.  By the time I finish will have close to the cost of 2 more units in gear just to wear on the head.  The cost is stupid expensive and a real barrier :-/  Albeit one that is present with traditional devices as well...

Note - my first NOD - so not comparing to anything other than circa 80-90s era NV I used in the military.  Regardless - with IR (in less than full moon) it is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Exceedingly pleased with mine.  So much so would love to buy  2nd.  Not so enamored with the literal hundreds and hundreds and hundreds required to use as monocular.  By the time I finish will have close to the cost of 2 more units in gear just to wear on the head.  The cost is stupid expensive and a real barrier :-/  Albeit one that is present with traditional devices as well...

Note - my first NOD - so not comparing to anything other than circa 80-90s era NV I used in the military.  Regardless - with IR (in less than full moon) it is amazing.
View Quote
Emerson helmet and rhno - $45 Ebay
RQE JAMR type mount - $130ish I can't remember exact.
Knock off lanyard - $15
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top