Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:13:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
what do the L4g24 clones offer over a rhino 2 besides looking a lot cooler?
View Quote

Lower Profile when flipped up (or over all), and I get more adjustment. This is probably person/helmet dependent, but my R2 was "all the way up", vertically - the G24 is only ~2/3 up. The R2 works great too, and if I wasn't bored / A "you have to try stuff out before talking about it" person - very happy with R2. That articulating bridge is the tits though - Nick Chen deserves an award for trying that out and posting about it - that makes your mount almost not matter, as you just rotate each unit up = even lower profile... or go Monocular mode if passive aiming by "brain merging" works better for you, vs trying to get a tube behind the optic.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NVjunkie:

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhh, tgat sorta sounded BS’ish to me. 

His thermal couldn’t ID the animal but the $799 nv camera could?  Not sure I buy that. 

Although I’m hoping it does deliver all it promises. I’ll dump one 14 and buy two of these and have cash leftover and dump my other 14 and buy a thermal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NVjunkie:
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Here is a paid review of the camera. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0_8hx4exc

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhh, tgat sorta sounded BS’ish to me. 

His thermal couldn’t ID the animal but the $799 nv camera could?  Not sure I buy that. 

Although I’m hoping it does deliver all it promises. I’ll dump one 14 and buy two of these and have cash leftover and dump my other 14 and buy a thermal.

Every view through it had some sort of visible light on too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I just realized this post was 68 pages long.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

I'll tell you if mine ever get here.

Without first hand knowledge, I'm going to say push button to fold/unfold and lower profile when stowed.
View Quote
have you found which bino's you want? I have thought of selling my setup and getting a 14.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
have you found which bino's you want? I have thought of selling my setup and getting a 14.
View Quote

Leaning heavily to BNVD-SG

Pros:

Articulating
Roll up = turns off the side being rolled up
Flip up = Both tubes turn off
Flip down = Both tubes auto on
AA batteries = easier to find, cheaper and the Lithium ones are superb
10 year tube warranty
Waterproof to 66 ft for 2 Hrs. (I will go OTB with these on in my pool)
Autogated
Single gain knob controls both tubes
Lightweight = 20.5 oz

Cons:

Can't detach a single monocular (not important if I am keeping my current PVS-14)

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#6]
I'm going to create a bino feature matrix spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
so I am looking for a low profile light weight mount for my 1" flashlight on the unity peltor rail mount. I have a old trash scope ring with a 1" reducer in it at the moment and it works but its a crappy one, and its taller than it needs to be as well as not as light as it could be.

whats the goto? I also ordered a cheap IR p60 drop in, I would love to get a  custom made 1050mn P60 engine but most of the high end custom flashlight guys arent doing p60 anymore since surefire gave up on that system years ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Without having time to read all 68 pages lol.

How noticeable is the lag when its head mounted? I'm kinda thinking about picking up the Aurpra Black or PRO.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#9]
Originally Posted By Sapperdaddy04:
Without having time to read all 68 pages lol.

How noticeable is the lag when its head mounted? I'm kinda thinking about picking up the Aurpra Black or PRO.
View Quote

Not bad (and non-existent if you listen to @mickdonaldson). You can wear them head mounted and navigate, shoot, etc.

I’m about to throw my 2 new (less than 1 hour of play time) OGs with bridge mount on EE.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Not bad (and non-existent if you listen to @mickdonaldson). You can wear them head mounted and navigate, shoot, etc.

I'm about to throw my 2 new (less than 1 hour of play time) OGs with bridge mount on EE.
View Quote
It's an expectations thing. Everyone's are different. For a relatively cheap toy the aurora is awesome. For the overwhelming majority of people nvg's are a toy, some have to have the best because it makes their penis bigger. To each his own.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
It's an expectations thing. Everyone's are different. For a relatively cheap toy the aurora is awesome. For the overwhelming majority of people nvg's are a toy, some have to have the best because it makes their penis bigger. To each his own.
View Quote

Used with an IR illuminator, they will abso-fuckin-lutely provide you with an OMFG NIGHT VISION!!!! Freedom Boner.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Not bad (and non-existent if you listen to @mickdonaldson). You can wear them head mounted and navigate, shoot, etc.

I’m about to throw my 2 new (less than 1 hour of play time) OGs with bridge mount on EE.
View Quote

So you are ditching your analog NVGs for the Auroras?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]

So you are ditching your analog NVGs for the Auroras?
View Quote

Nope... The opposite. I haven’t really touched the Auroras since getting the PVS-14.

If I were into taking pics and videos of my LARPing adventures, I’d keep at least one Aurora but I don’t see myself getting into NV photography or filming hog hunts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Nope... The opposite. I haven’t really touched the Auroras since getting the PVS-14. 

If I were into taking pics and videos of my LARPing adventures, I’d keep at least one Aurora but I don’t see myself getting into NV photography or filming hog hunts.
View Quote

I wish I could afford PVS 14s lol. Kinda why I'm really interested in that Aurora black or pro. If I could get that latency down it may be a viable option to hold me over for long enough to get something nice
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:54:25 AM EDT
[#15]

I wish I could afford PVS 14s lol. Kinda why I'm really interested in that Aurora black or pro. If I could get that latency down it may be a viable option to hold me over for long enough to get something nice
View Quote

@Sapperdaddy04 I find the latency only noticeable when I rip my head side to side. Like turn really quickly because I heard a noise or something, but even then it's not enough that you need to freak out about. It sucks swinging your head with a 5 pound helmet anyway
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#16]
Without having time to read all 68 pages lol.

How noticeable is the lag when its head mounted? I'm kinda thinking about picking up the Aurpra Black or PRO.
View Quote

I don't know how good arfcom search is, but look for my posts in the last 10-15(?) pages (and going back to Sept, when I actually started shooting with them, if you want).

True "lag" - as in a delay coming in and then out of the sensor, is unknown - it's never been measured. In the real world, there is no "lag" as in "my target is moving in real life, but still standing still in my EVF and I missed" that I've ever detected.

There *IS* a slower than optimal pixel refresh rate, on the EVF - this is what 99.9% of everyone (usually people that don't own, or spent at least hours and hours "doing stuff" like shooting  with them) calls "lag". This causes motion blur, or smearing if you pan or tilt your head fast and aren't focused on something that is also moving (because in that case, the target is focused in the center, just the background is blurred). It takes 16ms to "clear up" - this may be why people incorrectly use the term "lag"? How much that bothers you, is individual, and also depends on how long you use them for. If someone whips off their 14, looks through an Aurora, and hands it back, they'll complain about "lag". Shoot with one for a month straight, not touching your analog stuff, and it's barely noticeable and hasn't caused any shooting problems for me yet. A couple guys in here actually kill living things with Auroras - and they hit! Imagine that .

The upside with the Aurora from a purchase standpoint, is it's on Amazon - if you don't like it, return it down at 'The UPS Store' and your money is refunded the minute they scan the QR Code - it's as close to no risk to try, as you can get. As far as Black vs Pro - that depends on your wallet, and honest assessment of how you'll use it...AND - If the Pro, can you spend, and how long would it take to save another $1000 for a used 14? (Memorial/Fathers Day may have the Pro for $899, but no idea). The 14 needs no help in really low light (until everybody needs IR), The Black will, and the Pro is unknown if/how much help it needs - Nick Chen's 2nd test device, he liked (the first was defective). The new Pro shipping date is "End of May". Only you can decide if having to use an IR illuminator when needed, is a problem, and if it's worth saving a grand.

If you only need a Monocular, and don't *need* color/gps/compass/pictures/video...and you can save an extra $1000 in a reasonable amount of time for a used Green Phosphor 14 - it's hard to say "Go Pro"... but to some people, "an extra grand" is years = especially now. I don't physically feel great with GP Mono's, so $1600 for Dual Pro's (Grayscale or Color) beats ~$6K for used WP Binos every time, *for me*.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
They're water proof. By a Sport, mask
the lens & the view finder glass & paint
to suit. Easy peasy.

I wish I could afford PVS 14s lol. Kinda why I'm really interested in that Aurora black or pro. If I could get that latency down it may be a viable option to hold me over for long enough to get something nice
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

At the new prices, it's the Aurora Sport or GTFO.

You can get a legit gen 3 PVS-7 in the EE for <$1500 quite easily. 2-3 seem to pop up in the EE monthly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Johnny_C:
They're water proof. By a Sport, mask 
the lens & the view finder glass & paint 
to suit. Easy peasy.

View Quote

(I'm still reading through the last 15 pages.....)

I keep looking at the Sport and the Black and I can't see a difference other than the color is there something I'm missing? Also does painting it void the warranty? I definitely don't need the GPS or any of that.

ARFCOM search functions sucks lol.

Kinda making a list of what I'll need for a helmet setup.
HHV bump helmet
FAST mount
Anker power pack

No clue what cables and everything I'll need for the power pack
No clue on what arm ill want, I was looking at the Rhino 2 dovetail
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
@Sapperdaddy04

Check my post/list near the top of page 63.

John

(I'm still reading through the last 15 pages.....)

I keep looking at the Sport and the Black and I can't see a difference other than the color is there something I'm missing? Also does painting it void the warranty? I definitely don't need the GPS or any of that.

ARFCOM search functions sucks lol.

Kinda making a list of what I'll need for a helmet setup. 
HHV bump helmet
FAST mount
Anker power pack

No clue what cables and everything I'll need for the power pack
No clue on what arm ill want, I was looking at the Rhino 2 dovetail
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If you haven't seen it yet:

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MainePure:

I come in here everyday hoping to see a new Pro video out or something. Nope. Just mickdonaldson telling people if they go spin in a circle while snapping their fingers their Aurora won't lag anymore lol.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Napalmsticks] [#23]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
the vet and mil discount brings it down to 799.99..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

799 barely gets me a pvs14 housing.

View Quote

They told me no vets discount???
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I was thinking the same thing...
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Tried the 950nm pass filter on the Fandy. With the Fandy unzoomed, I could not make out any red light after about 7-8 yards. Zoomed in all the way it was the same at about 30-35 yards. It is pretty effective at reducing any visible red light that can be seen coming from the light and didn't degrade the output much if at all.

Filtered/Unzoomed:
" />

Unfiltered/Unzoomed:
" />

Filtered/Zoomed:
" />

Unfiltered/Zoomed:
" />
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you have a gen3 tube you can try the Fany+Filter on?

I'm interested to see how sensitive THAT.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
Do you have a gen3 tube you can try the Fany+Filter on?

I'm interested to see how sensitive THAT.
View Quote

All I got is an old ATN Voyager binocular that is Gen II. I'll pull it out and see how it does. You interested in how it works as an illuminator or from down range?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#28]
That Fandy is the best deal in Night Vision. I'd like to see someone who owns all 3 (Gen3 Analog, an Aurora, and a Fandy) do comparison pics at range (100+) to see if it falls off for analog, since it's 940nm. This is the Fandy next to a MAWL at 250 (each cone is 50).

But I don't know what it looks like to Gen3 (I didn't think to grab one from the other guys, to see).
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I dont get the deal with the visible light. the 940 fandy is literally a faint red spot even from 1' away. and yeah its damn impressive, but its just a light. its not exactly rocket surgery. china has been making led flashlights for decades now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there a reason someone can't hook two synced cameras up to an Aurora & PVS-14 (like in all the comparison vids) and sweep it across a bar-strobe test pattern sheet at different brightnesses?

This thing's been out for years; there's no excuse for "we don't know what the actual lag is" at this point unless it's embarrassing
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:
Is there a reason someone can't hook two synced cameras up to an Aurora & PVS-14 (like in all the comparison vids) and sweep it across a bar-strobe test pattern sheet at different brightnesses?

This thing's been out for years; there's no excuse for "we don't know what the actual lag is" at this point unless it's embarrassing
View Quote

One year, I think? What lag are you talking about - actual, digital engineer defined lag, from the time data enters the sensor, to when it leaves? Or 'End User'  "lag" which is the misnomer given to the "smearing" on the EVF, when you Pan or Tilt above a certain speed? The first hasn't been measured (by users) because it is difficult to simultaneously capture the tiny EVF image, and the same image on a large external screen. You don't measure it by panning across a sheet - you measure it by snapping an image with another camera, of both the EVF and the external screen, while a stopwatch app is running on screen - there's a post about it, grabbed from a Digital Camera user forum, a few pages back.

The EVF pixel refresh rate (AKA End User "Lag") is known, it's 16ms.

The first, whatever it is, doesn't seem to affect flat range, or hunting "hits". I could see the second making you a bit slower on a timer, if you had a large swing between two targets, at close range. There's a few guys in here that own both - if they own a Timer and an Airsoft Gun, they could test this *easily*, in their back yard, or basement
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barnbwt] [#32]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

One year, I think? What lag are you talking about - actual, digital engineer defined lag, from the time data enters the sensor, to when it leaves? Or 'End User'  "lag" which is the misnomer given to the "smearing" on the EVF, when you Pan or Tilt above a certain speed? The first hasn't been measured (by users) because it is difficult to simultaneously capture the tiny EVF image, and the same image on a large external screen. You don't measure it by panning across a sheet - you measure it by snapping an image with another camera, of both the EVF and the external screen, while a stopwatch app is running on screen - there's a post about it, grabbed from a Digital Camera user forum, a few pages back.

The EVF pixel refresh rate (AKA End User "Lag") is known, it's 16ms. 

The first, whatever it is, doesn't seem to affect flat range, or hunting "hits". I could see the second making you a bit slower on a timer, if you had a large swing between two targets, at close range. There's a few guys in here that own both - if they own a Timer and an Airsoft Gun, they could test this *easily*, in their back yard, or basement 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By barnbwt:
Is there a reason someone can't hook two synced cameras up to an Aurora & PVS-14 (like in all the comparison vids) and sweep it across a bar-strobe test pattern sheet at different brightnesses?

This thing's been out for years; there's no excuse for "we don't know what the actual lag is" at this point unless it's embarrassing

One year, I think? What lag are you talking about - actual, digital engineer defined lag, from the time data enters the sensor, to when it leaves? Or 'End User'  "lag" which is the misnomer given to the "smearing" on the EVF, when you Pan or Tilt above a certain speed? The first hasn't been measured (by users) because it is difficult to simultaneously capture the tiny EVF image, and the same image on a large external screen. You don't measure it by panning across a sheet - you measure it by snapping an image with another camera, of both the EVF and the external screen, while a stopwatch app is running on screen - there's a post about it, grabbed from a Digital Camera user forum, a few pages back.

The EVF pixel refresh rate (AKA End User "Lag") is known, it's 16ms. 

The first, whatever it is, doesn't seem to affect flat range, or hunting "hits". I could see the second making you a bit slower on a timer, if you had a large swing between two targets, at close range. There's a few guys in here that own both - if they own a Timer and an Airsoft Gun, they could test this *easily*, in their back yard, or basement 

Effective/total lag, that would hit a user's cornea, later than the (light speed limited) real-time analog device.

So, image output on the display, not capture or storage.

Like I said, drag them both across a repeating pattern that's the same in both with synched cameras (even better an image combiner), and measure the offset to get an idea how many milliseconds the Aurora trails.  The delay is the *very first* thing users ask about, every time, yet there's no hard data on it I've found.

ETA -so, the 16ms is how long it takes a hit on the sensor to become the first illuminated pixel upon refresh?  I do understand how the refresh rate 'tearing' can come into play as well; you'd add extra 16.7ms "max delay" to the first value, which would tell you the last pixel's delay at 60fps (and the effective latency would lie between the two)

I'm sure video gamers have clear threshold criteria for an acceptable real-time digital video image in these areas, such as refresh rate relative to field of view.  Eventually your own eyes can't track if you turn your head fast enough, but there's also a limit on how much tearing between screen refreshes can be tolerated.  "Good enough" is again somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#33]
Regarding the lag...

a) I blame mickdonaldson for even making this a thing.
b) You can hike, drive and shoot very effectively with it.
c) You won't want to play a first person shooter videogame through it.
d) If what you're doing is so critical that give or take 20ms is a deal breaker, then quit using the cheap toy NV camera and shell out money for actual NV.
e)

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Regarding the lag...

a) I blame mickdonaldson for even making this a thing.
b) You can hike, drive and shoot very effectively with it. 
c) You won't want to play a first person shooter videogame through it. 
d) If what you're doing is so critical that give or take 20ms is a deal breaker, then quit using the cheap toy NV camera and shell out money for actual NV. 
e) 
    https://media.makeameme.org/created/what-difference-at-5adc75.jpg
View Quote

Hey!!!! I don't bring it up - just rebut it. I'm with you, it doesn't matter. BUT, I'm in contact with Sionyx about it, and hope to have an answer soon. The new PR/Marketing guy is leaps and bounds better than the old one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:24:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#35]

Hey!!!!  I don't bring it up - just rebut it. I'm with you, it doesn't matter. BUT, I'm in contact with Sionyx about it, and hope to have an answer soon. The new PR/Marketing guy is leaps and bounds better than the old one.
View Quote

Did you arock the old marketing guy or something. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Did you arock the old marketing guy or something. LOL.
View Quote

As the Dad in 'Clueless' said: "I own a .45 and a Shovel...no one will miss you" Hahahaha!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Just acquired an aurora sport today.  Eventually I may get a helmet but for now its mounted on a gun.  Haven't been following this thread well.  Any tips for a newb? Settings? Lights or lasers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, according to the email I just got it looks like my Pro has been pushed to the end of June at the earliest.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Just acquired an aurora sport today.  Eventually I may get a helmet but for now its mounted on a gun.  Haven't been following this thread well.  Any tips for a newb? Settings? Lights or lasers?
View Quote

Is the sport recoil rated? I didn't think it was.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Napalmsticks:

Is the sport recoil rated? I didn't think it was.
View Quote
its not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:45:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Just acquired an aurora sport today.  Eventually I may get a helmet but for now its mounted on a gun.  Haven't been following this thread well.  Any tips for a newb? Settings? Lights or lasers?
View Quote

1-buy another one, dual's on a helmet mount are a 1000% better.
2-basic settings for a single cam, don't change anything. If you get duals there are some settings to make it better, check my settings on Etsy.com under the Adaptive mount.
3-get a Fandyfire or other $25 940nm flashlight, it greatly improves the experience.
4-laser. They are very cool, but not useful for most. If you want one, people seem to like the $300 IR Perst from ivantactical. Or get a raised red dot and use it helmet mounted shooting.
5-gun mounted is problematic due to the close eye relief.

@ThePitt

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:06:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Napalmsticks:
Well, according to the email I just got it looks like my Pro has been pushed to the end of June at the earliest.
View Quote

Yea, got it yesterday. Sucks, but understandable. My business supplies for production take, at most, 6 days from CA - I ordered stuff over a month ago that still aren't here here. Ah well, whatcha gonna do. Go try to find a desktop webcam on Amazon, LOL (those are *finally* starting to trickle in, however).
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:46:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#43]
Official Number Of Sensor Delay Time From Sionyx

I heard back from Anthony Longo at Sionyx. He initially gave me what he recalled was the number for the sensor delay (he was wicked close), but he checked with engineering to be sure. The time it takes data to enter the sensor, and then appear on the EVF, is:

33ms

I'm not absolutely positive that you *always* have to add the 16ms Pixel Refresh time to that, but let's assume you do - that gives you a total time of 49ms. Since I never notice any true "lag" during actual use, like Shooting, or like @Pneumagger with Driving, I looked up the first thing I thought of that had a delay, but was wicked fast - the Human Eye Blinking:

University College London

100ms - 150ms is the fastest recorded blink and came from that study, others (Google) give anywhere from 100-400ms depending on fatigue state, with the average of 300ms.

So there you have it, even at 49ms, the delay is at least 2 times faster than the time it takes to blink.

The 'Motion Blur' is absolutely there, real, and apparent at fast pan/tilt speed, and I'm sure a PACT Timer would have you a bit slower with an Aurora, transitioning between two spread out targets at close range...how much would have to be tested - but this "lag time", in real world use, is way overblown IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:04:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#44]
My aurora black showed up yesterday afternoon, and after dorking around with it last night and early this morning I am ...underwhelmed at its performance in my darkened house. It works great outside in my neighborhood where there is a lot of ambient light, but it absolutely dies in a dark room where my dark adjusted eyes can see pretty well unaided. It turns to really colorful noise with little to no detail. Oh, and $700 but you can't include a cheap rubber lens cap?

I will caveat that with the fact that the only experience I have with NV other than this is looking through my college roommate's PVS-14 in my darkened bathroom six or seven years ago, so my expectations might be a little unrealistic. I'm on the fence about returning it and just saving for a PVS-14.

Is there a good resource for learning how to adjust settings on this thing? The viewfinder shuts off after a few minutes until I press a button to wake it up. Is there a way to adjust the LCD brightness?

Nevermind, found the long press menu.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By thezentree:
My aurora black showed up yesterday afternoon, and after dorking around with it last night and early this morning I am ...underwhelmed at its performance in my darkened house. It works great outside in my neighborhood where there is a lot of ambient light, but it absolutely dies in a dark room where my dark adjusted eyes can see pretty well unaided. It turns to really colorful noise with little to no detail. Oh, and $700 but you can't include a cheap rubber lens cap? 

I will caveat that with the fact that the only experience I have with NV other than this is looking through my college roommate's PVS-14 in my darkened bathroom six or seven years ago, so my expectations might be a little unrealistic. I'm on the fence about returning it and just saving for a PVS-14.

Is there a good resource for learning how to adjust settings on this thing? The viewfinder shuts off after a few minutes until I press a button to wake it up. Is there a way to adjust the LCD brightness?

Nevermind, found the long press menu.
View Quote

Someone hasn’t been filling this thread. It damn near blackout this thing sucks, but so does a pvs14.  Add IR for $25. Giggle like a school girl
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:22:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Cut and paste from my original thread on my damaged Sionyx Aurora.

=====

Just an update.

As mentioned before, I was sent an RMA. Damaged camera's round trip was a little over a week. Got the repaired Aurora back and it is repaired and functioning.  

Mr. Longo's involvement obviously helped resolve this issue. We have had an ongoing chat about progress since this thread was started. He also says that an improvement in CS is part of the plan there. Will see.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:34:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#47]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Someone hasn’t been filling this thread. It damn near blackout this thing sucks, but so does a pvs14.  Add IR for $25. Giggle like a school girl
View Quote

lol it's 68 pages ....tl;dr

ETA: I assumed blackout meant "can't see your hand in front of your face" but I'll order a cheap IR flashlight and give it a whirl. Now that I figured out you can dim the LCD and turn off the autoshutoff on the EVP, I am less pissed at this thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#48]

lol it's 68 pages ....tl;dr
View Quote

Short version: order Fandyfire from amazon and run around with it.

Then order a helmet, rhino ii, and an @gaspain adaptive mount and have at it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Short version: order Fandyfire from amazon and run around with it. 

Then order a helmet, rhino ii, and an @gaspain adaptive mount and have at it.
View All Quotes

lol it's 68 pages ....tl;dr

Short version: order Fandyfire from amazon and run around with it. 

Then order a helmet, rhino ii, and an @gaspain adaptive mount and have at it.

Cool, will do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#50]
33ms oof. That is a significant amount of lag. Definitely not getting info in real time but anyone who used one already knows that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top