Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dapzel:
That photo still looks good.
If that's what you see compared to some of the other photos that are posted then that's pretty dang good.
How come some of the other guys photos look grainy compared to yours is what I was trying to figure out
View Quote
I can personally tell you the videos and photos I've posted in this thread have all been from my Aurora which is helmet mounted and I am pressing the camera shutter button with my finger. This combination can introduce a lot of movement which, if you know anything about low light photography, can really screw up the image quality.  Mick maybe doing handheld photos, but he also may be supporting his Aurora on a table or some other shelf and simply pressing the shutter button but otherwise leaving the camera completely stable.

Not saying that is cheating, just trying to shed some light on why some pictures may look different than others.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#2]
cheat mode is putting the aurora on a table and controlling it from your smartphone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:21:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MainePure] [#3]
People say it a lot but the EVF doesn't look that much better in person than in pics it saves. I'd say its a close representation of what you see in person. Still photos with IR look good and they should because its a camera.

I also see "IR is the great equalizer" and similar nonsense posted in here all the time. Having used both extensively I disagree completely. IR simply makes the Aurora borderline usable as NV when otherwise it really isn't. Huge difference between seeing in the dark, and looking at a video of yourself walking around with an IR flashlight. Also, as soon as your IR shines on something close to you, the camera tends to greatly darken everything else around it, so in thick woods its like being inside a black pocket with a flashlight and not actually seeing everything around you and having situational awareness. Don't see this mentioned much. Anyway, if you liked The Blair Witch Project you'll love navigating in the woods at night with your Aurora.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TGE:
That does look really good. 

I know you've been on these for a while now, so wondering if you've noticed any changes from firmware updates? 
View Quote

I stayed on 1.0 (Classic OG) for a while. Then a guy on here said there was an update, but he thought it made things worse - I couldn't resist, so I flashed it. I didn't notice any degradation. That was a loooong time ago - so that pic is with the first update (1.01?). I never check for new updates, no idea if/what it's at now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
I can personally tell you the videos and photos I've posted in this thread have all been from my Aurora which is helmet mounted and I am pressing the camera shutter button with my finger. This combination can introduce a lot of movement which, if you know anything about low light photography, can really screw up the image quality.  Mick maybe doing handheld photos, but he also may be supporting his Aurora on a table or some other shelf and simply pressing the shutter button but otherwise leaving the camera completely stable.

Not saying that is cheating, just trying to shed some light on why some pictures may look different than others.
View Quote

Nah man, that is helmet mounted, Auto Shutter, press the button. Setting a 1.5 Sec shutter gets you even better pics, but like you said, avoiding blur is really hard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
The pro is still the same resolution isnt it? is the sensors native resolution higher than the OG sensors?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Wow, so for 'detail work' the Pro would likely meet or exceed Gen 3; just going by the comparison video, detail resolution (not video capture resolution) looked markedly better.  Perfect for reading in bed without waking the wife, I suppose 
The pro is still the same resolution isnt it? is the sensors native resolution higher than the OG sensors?

With a lot less noise than the previous Aurora; that's the point.

The focal length of the 14 makes it seem blurrier I know...but the Aurora has an effectively deeper depth of field due to autofocus, right?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aurora has autofocus?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
The Aurora has autofocus?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
The Aurora has autofocus?
View Quote

It don't?  OK, it appears it doesn't have auto in low light (where it matters).  I did see some references to them "working on it" so maybe we can hold out hope it's better on the pro?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:36:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#10]
View Quote
NM already answered.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:18:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: monkeypunch] [#11]
Originally Posted By MainePure:
People say it a lot but the EVF doesn't look that much better in person than in pics it saves. I'd say its a close representation of what you see in person. Still photos with IR look good and they should because its a camera. 

I also see "IR is the great equalizer" and similar nonsense posted in here all the time. Having used both extensively I disagree completely. IR simply makes the Aurora borderline usable as NV when otherwise it really isn't. Huge difference between seeing in the dark, and looking at a video of yourself walking around with an IR flashlight. Also, as soon as your IR shines on something close to you, the camera tends to greatly darken everything else around it, so in thick woods its like being inside a black pocket with a flashlight and not actually seeing everything around you and having situational awareness. Don't see this mentioned much. Anyway, if you liked The Blair Witch Project you'll love navigating in the woods at night with your Aurora.
View Quote

This is my only real issue with the Aurora. As soon as it picks up IR off a leaf that's close, you cant see anything past the leaf due to the camera changing some setting. Whatever you call that change, I wish it was manual. The other place where that comes up is inside or around a vehicle with lights on. You can't see anything beyond 10 feet away.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
A bunch of $50 RHNO II’s just popped up on EE.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
A bunch of $50 RHNO II’s just popped up on EE.
View Quote

Thank you for the heads up. I guess my helmet plans are moving forward faster than I thought.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Me too. I placed two smallish orders to TNVC for
parts about a week apart because I found a Rhino
II unexpectedly, too. I was crushed!

Originally Posted By Outrider:

Thank you for the heads up. I guess my helmet plans are moving forward faster than I thought.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]
The Pro units' shipping date has been COVID'ed - new estimate is late May. Ah well, bummer, but being a business who is *still* waiting on production parts ordered 3 weeks ago (usually takes a week, max), I get it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:

This is my only real issue with the Aurora. As soon as it picks up IR off a leaf that's close, you cant see anything past the leaf due to the camera changing some setting. Whatever you call that change, I wish it was manual. The other place where that comes up is inside or around a vehicle with lights on. You can't see anything beyond 10 feet away.
View Quote

Not a setting, that's just the way that physics works. You light up the leaf, most of your light is not going past that leaf and therefore is not illuminating your background. It's an issue with all night vision platforms afaik, and a big reason why passive illumination is generally preferable over active. Because with properly amplified diffuse lighting, you can see the natural light of the background without washing out one region to the detriment of the whole.

In plain English, directional lighting inherently casts shadows.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pheenixm:

Not a setting, that's just the way that physics works. You light up the leaf, most of your light is not going past that leaf and therefore is not illuminating your background. It's an issue with all night vision platforms afaik, and a big reason why passive illumination is generally preferable over active. Because with properly amplified diffuse lighting, you can see the natural light of the background without washing out one region to the detriment of the whole. 

In plain English, directional lighting inherently casts shadows.

View Quote

It's also just part of how a camera sensor processes light. There are techniques that work around this to an extent (HDR) but currently it would be next to impossible to implement it with the desired effect and performance for this application.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
To add on to this topic.

This darkening down because of a close object in the
field of view is a function of the metering function built
into all auto camera's. When the camera senses a brightly
illuminated object, the metering system is designed to
average or balance the overall scene to take a well
averaged or balanced image, more so if the bright
object is close to the camera or it's very large. This
is in contrast (no pun intended) to a full manual
camera or a full manual menu option (and many
people won't remember a camera like that).

I just looked through the menus in my Sports, and
while they do have some options, obviously, there
doesn't appear to be anyway around this issue, i.e.
no full manual, and you wouldn't want to run it that
way if it did have that option . It's just something
you have to accept. Even autogated 14's are going
to do this. It's just the nature of this technology.

Originally Posted By Maverick52:

It's also just part of how a camera sensor processes light. There are techniques that work around this to an extent (HDR) but currently it would be next to impossible to implement it with the desired effect and performance for this application.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Of all the guys in here, I think @JoeMal spends the most time under these, trucking through thick brush, killing pigs. Joe, have you had this "close brush under IR" cause any missed shots or anything? My property is Pine Forrest, some brush, but nothing like I see on Joe's video's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Of all the guys in here, I think @JoeMal spends the most time under these, trucking through thick brush, killing pigs. Joe, have you had this "close brush under IR" cause any missed shots or anything? My property is Pine Forrest, some brush, but nothing like I see on Joe's video's.
View Quote
I do hunt with mine, but I don't spend a lot of time tredging through thick woods. My lease is wooded, but it has vehicle trails cut throughout I can walk.

I do get the "nearest object soaking up light" effect but my Aurora doesn't seem to get darker. someone a few posts up said it - directional light causes shadows.  That's what I see the most, bright white things in front and dark shadows behind. But I don't think that's the Aurora fault
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Not a setting, that's just the way that physics works. You light up the leaf, most of your light is not going past that leaf and therefore is not illuminating your background. It's an issue with all night vision platforms afaik, and a big reason why passive illumination is generally preferable over active. Because with properly amplified diffuse lighting, you can see the natural light of the background without washing out one region to the detriment of the whole. 

View All Quotes

This is my only real issue with the Aurora. As soon as it picks up IR off a leaf that's close, you cant see anything past the leaf due to the camera changing some setting. Whatever you call that change, I wish it was manual. The other place where that comes up is inside or around a vehicle with lights on. You can't see anything beyond 10 feet away.

Either the aperture will close & darken the image, otherwise it'll wash out & your iris will close & darken the image anyway.

Unless you use those cocaine eye-drops before each use, I suppose
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I do hunt with mine, but I don't spend a lot of time tredging through thick woods. My lease is wooded, but it has vehicle trails cut throughout I can walk. 

I do get the "nearest object soaking up light" effect but my Aurora doesn't seem to get darker. someone a few posts up said it - directional light causes shadows.  That's what I see the most, bright white things in front and dark shadows behind. But I don't think that's the Aurora fault
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Of all the guys in here, I think @JoeMal spends the most time under these, trucking through thick brush, killing pigs. Joe, have you had this "close brush under IR" cause any missed shots or anything? My property is Pine Forrest, some brush, but nothing like I see on Joe's video's.
I do hunt with mine, but I don't spend a lot of time tredging through thick woods. My lease is wooded, but it has vehicle trails cut throughout I can walk. 

I do get the "nearest object soaking up light" effect but my Aurora doesn't seem to get darker. someone a few posts up said it - directional light causes shadows.  That's what I see the most, bright white things in front and dark shadows behind. But I don't think that's the Aurora fault

Maybe we need an infrared diffuser or something to spread out the (usual) pinpoint light source LED.  Even visible-spectrum LED lights often work poorly for the same reason.  That diffuser thing wouldn't have to be solid galium, too, would it?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Maybe we need an infrared diffuser or something to spread out the (usual) pinpoint light source LED.  Even visible-spectrum LED lights often work poorly for the same reason.  That diffuser thing wouldn't have to be solid galium, too, would it?  
View Quote

Most of us use Fandy's, which have adjustable heads. I usually adjust mine, so the entire EVF is contained within the IR - there is no "tunnel vision" type appearance like someone claimed, above. Only when going really long range, (300+?) does the beam narrow - but in that case, it is open terrain, so it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

It isn't the Aurora's fault per-se; you run into the same exact problem with a PVS-14 + active lighting. I don't like to walk through heavy brush with an illuminator turned on, as it ruins my ability to see what's going on past 1-2 yards. That all said, this is where the passive abilities of a PVS-14 shine – I can see the forest floor just fine when my active illumination is turned off. Sure, on moonless nights it's hardly what I'd call "clear as day", but it is certainly sufficient for navigation and identification.

Maybe we need an infrared diffuser or something to spread out the (usual) pinpoint light source LED.  Even visible-spectrum LED lights often work poorly for the same reason.  That diffuser thing wouldn't have to be solid galium, too, would it?  

Diffuser won't help because you're still utilizing a point source of directional light that is far higher in power than the surrounding light-level. You *might* have success with some sort of balloon + IR floodlight, but that just sounds too crazy to be worth putting together. You need to diffusely illuminate the environment from multiple angles, the same way that a football field is lit up. For that, you need multiple light sources from higher angles.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_C] [#25]
Which is what I would call ambient lighting...

You need to diffusely illuminate the environment from multiple angles, the same way that a football field is lit up. For that, you need multiple light sources from higher angles. 

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#26]
A lot of replies... thanks! I appreciate the explanations. I guess there is no real way around it.

Here is kind of an example of what I was referencing before. My neighbors have a string of lights on next door.
Here is a shot from across the pool, where the camera can pick up the string of light, and an IR laser aimed at where I am looking.
Attachment Attached File

Here is the same angle with supplemental IR.
Attachment Attached File

Then here is where I get closer, and position so the camera can't pick up as much of my neighbor's light.
Attachment Attached File

In the first picture, you can't see the soccer ball/dog toys. But, once the outside source of light is not picked up, you can, even if grainy.

I am slowly adding IR, even if it is super cheap Amazon stuff at this point. My helmet mount is currently an old ski helmet with GoPro attachments. I am trying to learn what works for me before spending real money. I found out wearing it over my non-dominate, right, eye, makes my head hurt, and I can't see shit out of either eye. I got one of the new TOR MINI IR lasers, and am impressed with it for the price. It's perfect for someone like me who will really only hunt with it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
snip

View Quote

I was reading somewhere, I think in the IR laser thread, and it talked about how IR is helpful for these situations. There was some science, but basically the lighted area becomes a wall that you can't see through. So if the lights there were off, you could see in, but since they are on you really can't. This is something I've found messing with my SiOnyx with Fandyfire. If I get washed out or want to see under/behind shit I tighten the throw and get more IR in there. I'm in the suburbs and a non-boog neighborhood so there have been bunches of lights to contend with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of replies... thanks! I appreciate the explanations. I guess there is no real way around it. 

Here is kind of an example of what I was referencing before. My neighbors have a string of lights on next door.
Here is a shot from across the pool, where the camera can pick up the string of light, and an IR laser aimed at where I am looking.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272212/XQE_0001_JPG-1401741.JPG

Here is the same angle with supplemental IR.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272212/XQE_0003_JPG-1401743.JPG

Then here is where I get closer, and position so the camera can't pick up as much of my neighbor's light.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272212/XQE_0004_JPG-1401745.JPG

In the first picture, you can't see the soccer ball/dog toys. But, once the outside source of light is not picked up, you can, even if grainy. 

I am slowly adding IR, even if it is super cheap Amazon stuff at this point. My helmet mount is currently an old ski helmet with GoPro attachments. I am trying to learn what works for me before spending real money. I found out wearing it over my non-dominate, right, eye, makes my head hurt, and I can't see shit out of either eye. I got one of the new TOR MINI IR lasers, and am impressed with it for the price. It's perfect for someone like me who will really only hunt with it.

View Quote

Great pics and explanation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Who Else In Here, Has 1 Or More Pro's On Pre-Order?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
SiOnyx better get busy. Take a look at this OMG NIGHT VISION!!!

COLOR NIGHT VISION LOW LIGHT CAMERA FILMED AT MIDNIGHT - SNOW CANYON UTAH
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Video is in Snow Canyon State park in st George from 3 years ago.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:19:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#32]
Originally Posted By Notthatkindofnurse:
Video is in Snow Canyon State park in st George from 3 years ago.....
View Quote

Yep... and I bet a lot of people haven’t seen it. It’s big but impressive.

Did some digging and this (also from 2017) was interesting:

STARLIGHT NIGHT TEST X27 color Low Light night vision imaging camera sensor shootout
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mpatch] [#33]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
SiOnyx better get busy. Take a look at this OMG NIGHT VISION!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPaaz-dTNzg
View Quote
If that's the same camera I watched videos of a while ago it's not cheap.

no different than comparing the aurora to a gen 3 wp optic or a Miata to a Ferrari
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
If that's the same camera I watched videos of a while ago it's not cheap.

no different than comparing the aurora to a gen 3 wp optic or a Miata to a Ferrari
View Quote

Just neat seeing what we are capable of. Shrink that down to a 12 oz monocular with 12 hr batt life and TAKE MY MONEY!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:05:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Just neat seeing what we are capable of. Shrink that down to a 12 oz monocular with 12 hr batt life and TAKE MY MONEY!
View Quote

That would be impressive, Binos please.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
If that's the same camera I watched videos of a while ago it's not cheap.

no different than comparing the aurora to a gen 3 wp optic or a Miata to a Ferrari
View Quote

Yea, the sensor size dictates the performance - if you wanted a 10 pound Aurora, they could probably do it. They should get to work, shrinking that thing down! What's the smallest 12v battery? It *is* impressive though.

SPI X27
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#37]
And what certainly looks like under a full
moon in perfect conditions. And judging by
the form factor it looks like that became what
we have in the Aurora's.

Originally Posted By Notthatkindofnurse:
Video is in Snow Canyon State park in st George from 3 years ago.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Picked up a 950nm pass filter off ebay to try to eliminate the red glow. I 3D printed an adapter to hold it in front of Make The One Torch.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

" />
It did not totaly eliminate the glow but substantially reduced it. Unfiltered and unzoomed I could pick of the glow at 100+ yards. Filtered it was around 20yards unzoomed. Zoomed was around 50yards.
It did degrade the illumination a bit and make it less crisp. Here are a few photos comparing.

Unfiltered/Zoomed:
" />

Filtered/Zoomed:
" />

Unfiltered/Unzoomed:
" />

Filtered/Unzoomed:
" />
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By PQuiggs:
Picked up a 950nm pass filter off ebay to try to eliminate the red glow. I 3D printed an adapter to hold it in front of Make The One Torch.
www.amazon.com/dp/B072XCKL3J
https://i.ibb.co/LnLsD8T/irfiltermount.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/LnLsD8T/irfiltermount.jpg
It did not totaly eliminate the glow but substantially reduced it. Unfiltered and unzoomed I could pick of the glow at 100+ yards. Filtered it was around 20yards unzoomed. Zoomed was around 50yards.
It did degrade the illumination a bit and make it less crisp. Here are a few photos comparing.

Unfiltered/Zoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/tZQn5FC/zoom-nofilter-2.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/tZQn5FC/zoom-nofilter-2.jpg

Filtered/Zoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/nnMy1Bp/zoom-filter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/nnMy1Bp/zoom-filter.jpg

Unfiltered/Unzoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/f2GVMWH/unzoom-nofilter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/f2GVMWH/unzoom-nofilter.jpg

Filtered/Unzoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/NZXnS13/unzoom-filter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/NZXnS13/unzoom-filter.jpg
View Quote

And that's the filter that chops out what analog NV can see?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#40]
No this is trying to eliminate the visible light that these IR lights put out. They have a dim red glow that can be seen with the naked eye. Only way I can see cutting out what analog can see is to get a quality pass filter in the 1000nm range that only allows a very narrow window of light through (like 990nm-1010nm). Havent done much research of them but the higher quality ones can be pretty pricey from what I saw. Other down side to them is it is going to block out a lot of the wavelengths that the LEDs are putting out and really going to substantially decrease the output of light that the Aurora can detect. What we really need is an illuminator in the 1000nm+ range. I know a few guys on the forum where experimenting with them but not sure they have the power output to make them practical.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#41]
A 920 or 940 or 950 Long pass filter over a 940nm LED (actual output is going to be about 850-1030nm) should SIGNIFICANTLY limit visibility using traditional ITT NV.  My Gen3 ITT NV can barely see my way-past-eye-safe 980nm laser if it's not collimated to a small dot. Aurora has no problem with 980nm laser (970-990nm wavelength range).
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:08:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#42]
Originally Posted By PQuiggs:
Picked up a 950nm pass filter off ebay to try to eliminate the red glow. I 3D printed an adapter to hold it in front of Make The One Torch.
www.amazon.com/dp/B072XCKL3J
https://i.ibb.co/LnLsD8T/irfiltermount.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/LnLsD8T/irfiltermount.jpg
It did not totaly eliminate the glow but substantially reduced it. Unfiltered and unzoomed I could pick of the glow at 100+ yards. Filtered it was around 20yards unzoomed. Zoomed was around 50yards.
It did degrade the illumination a bit and make it less crisp. Here are a few photos comparing.

Unfiltered/Zoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/tZQn5FC/zoom-nofilter-2.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/tZQn5FC/zoom-nofilter-2.jpg

Filtered/Zoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/nnMy1Bp/zoom-filter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/nnMy1Bp/zoom-filter.jpg

Unfiltered/Unzoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/f2GVMWH/unzoom-nofilter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/f2GVMWH/unzoom-nofilter.jpg

Filtered/Unzoomed:
https://i.ibb.co/NZXnS13/unzoom-filter.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.ibb.co/NZXnS13/unzoom-filter.jpg
View Quote

Good test, thanks. Filtered and zoomed (20yd naked eye visible) can still illuminate that 100yd target - I'd say that's a good trade off.  You should grab a Fandy/BestSun and test that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Good test, thanks. Filtered and zoomed (20yd naked eye visible) can still illuminate that 100yd target - I'd say that's a good trade off.  You should grab a Fandy/BestSun and test that.
View Quote

The Fandy will be next. I have one here. Still need to design and 3D print an adapter to hold the filter. I noticed the Fandy doesnt put out as much red glow compared to the Make The One so I expect it will be even more effective. The Fandy is also brighter when zoomed in. IMO almost too bright and I have to pull back the zoom a bit to get a clear imagine. I'll post some more pics when I get it done.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#44]
Hi there everyone,

I've been sitting on a sport for some time now and just took the next step and bought a RHINO II Mount and Shroud off of the EE.

I plan on buying all the other components in the next couple days but I haven't been following this thread since 2019 and I'm slowly getting up to speed.

-Was curious if the preferred option is still a Gaspian Mount, Wilcox Shoe, and the dovetail mount?

-Is there a preference or consensus between the Lancer and the Emerson helmet?

-If I reach out to Gaspian directly is there a way I can buy a package of all his cool stuff from his Etsy page?

-Is there a tutorial on what settings I should put on my Sport? I may have already done this but I haven't even looked at this thing in 6 months +

Thanks as always! I took some months off but I'm excited about this!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#45]
@glockluv , reply is below

-Was curious if the preferred option is still a Gaspian Mount, Wilcox Shoe, and the dovetail mount?
I am biased here. Will skip this one. But, the Wilcox shoe / dovetail will always be preferred for it's tightness and anti-cant and drop safety.

-Is there a preference or consensus between the Lancer and the Emerson helmet? 
They are pretty much the same. Just get one with a adjustable rear neck.

-If I reach out to Gaspian directly is there a way I can buy a package of all his cool stuff from his Etsy page?
Just search for kiloohm or gaspain on etsy to find my store, everything is there except pvs-15 dovetails and RHNO II. Feel free to ask questions, here or on Etsy.

-Is there a tutorial on what settings I should put on my Sport? I may have already done this but I haven't even looked at this thing in 6 months +
On my product page for the Adaptive mount, there at the bottom of the description is a basic setting list. I will add, there is some personal preference that you will need to decide on. Such as 30 fps or 60 fps. And Photo mode or Video mode. B/W vs Color. They are all very good.

here is a full list of stuff on this youtube video in the video description: https://youtu.be/Mik3q35boEE
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By glockluv:
Hi there everyone,

I've been sitting on a sport for some time now and just took the next step and bought a RHINO II Mount and Shroud off of the EE.

I plan on buying all the other components in the next couple days but I haven't been following this thread since 2019 and I'm slowly getting up to speed. 

-Was curious if the preferred option is still a Gaspian Mount, Wilcox Shoe, and the dovetail mount?

View Quote

If I had a buddy who had a smidge more than the "absolute minimum" dollars to spend, I'd recommend a PTS MTEK Licensed FLUX, a SOTAC L4G24 Clone, a SOTAC SkeetIR Bridge Clone, and a Wilcox M24 FLIR Shoe. But I haven't seen/held/used any of the FMA/TMC/Emerson/Lancer helmets, and it also depends on other accessories you plan to use - the MTEK uses MLOK vs ARC or TW. Not *that* big a deal, but it's not "Click, Buy, Install".

I haven't found any quality/performance difference, between Photo Mode and Video Mode - and Photo is a lot easier: One click on the dial, no settings (maybe HDR). EIS Off universally. I leave Video at 720/30 for the rare times I record something.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
@glockluv , reply is below 

I am biased here. Will skip this one.  But, the Wilcox shoe / dovetail will always be preferred for it's tightness and anti-cant and drop safety.

-Is there a preference or consensus between the Lancer and the Emerson helmet? 
They are pretty much the same. Just get one with a adjustable rear neck.

-If I reach out to Gaspian directly is there a way I can buy a package of all his cool stuff from his Etsy page?
Just search for kiloohm or gaspain on etsy to find my store, everything is there except pvs-15 dovetails and RHNO II. Feel free to ask questions, here or on Etsy.

-Is there a tutorial on what settings I should put on my Sport? I may have already done this but I haven't even looked at this thing in 6 months +
On my product page for the Adaptive mount, there at the bottom of the description is a basic setting list. I will add, there is some personal preference that you will need to decide on. Such as 30 fps or 60 fps. And Photo mode or Video mode. B/W vs Color. They are all very good.

here is a full list of stuff on this youtube video in the video description: https://youtu.be/Mik3q35boEE
View Quote

TY for this! Will be in touch soon!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#48]

If I had a buddy who had a smidge more than the "absolute minimum" dollars to spend, I'd recommend a PTS MTEK Licensed FLUX, a SOTAC L4G24 Clone, a SOTAC SkeetIR Bridge Clone, and a Wilcox M24 FLIR Shoe. But I haven't seen/held/used any of the FMA/TMC/Emerson/Lancer helmets, and it also depends on other accessories you plan to use - the MTEK uses MLOK vs ARC or TW. Not *that* big a deal, but it's not "Click, Buy, Install".

I haven't found any quality/performance difference, between Photo Mode and Video Mode - and Photo is a lot easier: One click on the dial, no settings (maybe HDR). EIS Off universally. I leave Video at 720/30 for the rare times I record something. 
View Quote

Appreciate the input!

Probably going to go a little more on the budget end of things
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:27:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#49]
what do the L4g24 clones offer over a rhino 2 besides looking a lot cooler?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#50]
what do the L4g24 clones offer over a rhino 2 besides looking a lot cooler?
View Quote

I’ll tell you if mine ever get here.

Without first hand knowledge, I’m going to say push button to fold/unfold and lower profile when stowed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top