Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By moozilla:
Kind of a bummer for us 'early adopters' the ~$30 shipping fee is now free!

If you're on the fence there's really no reason not to jump now (unless you want to not buy on the principal that those of us who preordered early got shafted with shipping costs )

https://i.postimg.cc/Z5CLdTD8/delme.png
View Quote
That sucks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By St1650:
You'd be crazy not the order the MACHO. Already comes with the proper dovetail - can be setup as dual, adjustable PID,  can be upgraded to run a FLIR/PVS14, etc
View Quote
It mounts into a the Dovetail on your Helmet Mount, (RHINO II w/Conversion, G24, etc...) but you have to buy the Shoe separately. He does sell a plastic printed one for extra cost, but for that part, I prefer an actual Wilcox PVS-18 Shoe. They are hard to get overseas, so I see the reason for his printed one, but if you are in the US, get the Real Steel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered the Sport on July 17, shipped Aug 11, arrived Aug 15.

Here's a couple video clips showing its performance in some mixed lighting and with IR illumination. Tried a couple of different framerates and they definitely give you more/less lowlight performance, but dropping below 30fps wasn't great for movement. It also appears the black & white setting is missing, which I had seen some people shoot in with the first version of the device. Maybe there's a few software changes other than just the missing GPS on these.

https://youtu.be/8M2hkdyCNRk

Sionyx Aurora Sport video test

Here's the video options menu:

And the Sport really makes for a nice "is that a can of white monster on your head" look:

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jwramp:
It also appears the black & white setting is missing, which I had seen some people shoot in with the first version of the device. Maybe there's a few software changes other than just the missing GPS on these.
View Quote
Strike that - turns out I didn’t read the online manual closely enough. There’s a deeper settings menu if you “long press” the center button instead of just pressing it... probly has all the same modes as the normal unit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 11:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#5]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Bad news, no more Chaim mounts. He didn't actually make them, just resold them I guess? Anyway he's out and won't be getting more. I'm trying to get in touch with the original manufacturer, we'll see how it goes.

Those of you that 3D print... The market is yours
View Quote
Was wondering why getting that mount is so difficult and not just sold on a website.

If someone made an adapter to use a pvs14 J arm that’s doesn’t can’t camera that would be golden
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
That's about what my neighborhood looks like often enough, and I have no issue seeing past the lights. I have been using twilight settings since I'm in one of the biggest urban/suburban areas ever. It gives me color, so I could tell what color that car is in the pic and probably a few beyond it. I would not be able to read the license plate. Maybe with zoom but I've been just chasing my kid around with it.

Side note, I now know every house with night security cameras on my block and roughly where they are pointed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
I'm intrigued by this thing, especially the new Sport model.

I live in an Urban / Suburban area thats dominated by deep pockets of shadow, interspersed with street lights every 50-100yds.

Similar to this:
https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/empty-street-suburb-during-night-600w-1283702578.jpg

How well will the Aurora work for seeing into those dark areas? Is it able to see past street lights?
That's about what my neighborhood looks like often enough, and I have no issue seeing past the lights. I have been using twilight settings since I'm in one of the biggest urban/suburban areas ever. It gives me color, so I could tell what color that car is in the pic and probably a few beyond it. I would not be able to read the license plate. Maybe with zoom but I've been just chasing my kid around with it.

Side note, I now know every house with night security cameras on my block and roughly where they are pointed
Awesome. I'm definitely snagging one then.

At ~$350 vs $3,500 for a PVS14 White phosphour, this makes for an exciting 'gateway drug' into the world of night vision.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#7]
So an idea I had last night.

The Aurora is a Night Vision Camera with streaming capability....could it be combined with Virtual Reality goggles?

If it was paired with VR goggles, that could:
-create a defacto 'binocular' view
-Recording could be presented in a way that improves depth perception / creates a '3D' night vision feeling

An Occulus headset is only $200 now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Since the CHAIM mount is not an option anymore, what would be the next best thing besides the MACHOS?
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 223Rem:
Since the CHAIM mount is not an option anymore, what would be the next best thing besides the MACHOS?
View Quote
To my knowledge, LION's is the only game in town.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#10]
View Quote
Hyperion - Hyperion

IMO, the MACHOS isn't that much more than the CHAIM was - about $35 (I was incorrect in an earlier post when I said $75 - too many numbers in my head) - I think from a user experience level, you'd be happier. Unless you have a really small pupil distance (just use a caliper in a mirror to get a decent estimate) it's really nice. I calipered mine at 62mm I think (below the sated 64mm) and I still had to crank mine a few millimeters outward. The Dovetail conversion adapter also allows some lateral movement on a RHINO II, and while just a thought - for a single unit, you could also probably put a thicker helmet pad on one side, to gain a couple millimeters more in a worst case scenario?

Edit: I think Farrowtech makes a conversion plate for $35, that lets you use a J-Arm, but.... I have no idea if the camera can be made to sit perfectly horizontal - you'd need to email him - the last time I used a J-Arm was 2002, LOL.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Hyperion - Hyperion

IMO, the MACHOS isn't that much more than the CHAIM was - about $35 (I was incorrect in an earlier post when I said $75 - too many numbers in my head) - I think from a user experience level, you'd be happier. Unless you have a really small pupil distance (just use a caliper in a mirror to get a decent estimate) it's really nice. I calipered mine at 62mm I think (below the sated 64mm) and I still had to crank mine a few millimeters outward. The Dovetail conversion adapter also allows some lateral movement on a RHINO II, and while just a thought - for a single unit, you could also probably put a thicker helmet pad on one side, to gain a couple millimeters more in a worst case scenario?

Edit: I think Farrowtech makes a conversion plate for $35, that lets you use a J-Arm, but.... I have no idea if the camera can be made to sit perfectly horizontal - you'd need to email him - the last time I used a J-Arm was 2002, LOL.
View All Quotes
Hyperion - Hyperion

So, with the Hyperion, I would not be in need of the M24 adapter?  Sorta makes up for the cost difference.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]

So, with the Hyperion, I would not be in need of the M24 adapter?  Sorta makes up for the cost difference.
View All Quotes

You need a Wilcox PVS-18 Shoe:

Contents 🔩

1 x LION Hyperion Dual SiOnyx Aurora NVG mount

2 x ¼ screws that will screw in the cameras (and 1 spare)

2 x screws for camera alignment (already fixed in the mount and 1 spare)

1 x screw for the dovetail shoe (and 1 spare)

0 (ZERO) x NVG Interface Shoe for the AN/PVS-18/18A (you will need to order this separately)
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scollins] [#13]
Nevermind, caught up on the thread and answered my own question....
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 4:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#14]
I have PVS-14 eye cup adapters available, and mounts will be coming in the next few days.

$15.99
https://www.etsy.com/listing/729450221/pvs-14-eyepiece-adapter-for-sionyx?ref=shop_home_active_1
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:42:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone needs to make an eye-cup (the actual rubber thing) that is the 'rounded rectangular' shape of the Aurora - the round PVS-14 Eye cup - with the rectangular screen, cuts off too much of the screen image at the sides. I tried the Lion's Gear ones, and took them off. Now, if you are in a peer to peer environment, I'd run them - you'd just have a round image. But its good you made them, because shipping from overseas is a killer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone needs to make an eye-cup (the actual rubber thing) that is the 'rounded rectangular' shape of the Aurora - the round PVS-14 Eye cup - with the rectangular screen, cuts off too much of the screen image at the sides. I tried the Lion's Gear ones, and took them off. Now, if you are in a peer to peer environment, I'd run them - you'd just have a round image. But its good you made them, because shipping from overseas is a killer.
View Quote
I was wondering if the round eyecup cut out the rectangle corners.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

I was wondering if the round eyecup cut out the rectangle corners.
View Quote
I put it on, adjusted stuff for about 5 minutes - including jamming it uncomfortably close - and said "nope", and pulled it off. My opinion only, YMMV. For airsoft- maybe/probably if you have peers running NODs, just deal with it - I don't play airsoft.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My adapter wont cut off the corners of the screen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
and mounts will be coming in the next few days.
View Quote
...I'm listening
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Would it be possible to make an adapter for these?

https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-compass-magnetic/

No idea how the lens matches up between the two, don't even have the Sionyx in hand yet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 44Dave:
Would it be possible to make an adapter for these?

https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-compass-magnetic/

No idea how the lens matches up between the two, don't even have the Sionyx in hand yet.
View Quote
I would have to have one to see if it works, if you want to lend me one I will make an adapter but I don't think its gonna be good. I used to own one of those compasses, it might have the problem of "toilet paper tubing" becuase the objective lens is larger on the SiOnyx.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Is video latency an issue?
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Someone needs to make an eye-cup (the actual rubber thing) that is the 'rounded rectangular' shape of the Aurora - the round PVS-14 Eye cup - with the rectangular screen, cuts off too much of the screen image at the sides.[\quote]
It's not the adapter, it's the Eye-Cup, as I stated above. Just the Lion's Gear Adapter doesn't cut anything off either, as it's the same dimension as stock and only has a minimal round edge to accept the Eye-Cup.
The problem is the Eye-Cup - it's round, and can only compress to a minimum of 10mm. So take your perfectly set up Aurora where you can see the whole screen, and now move it 10mm forward, *and* look through something round.

For ~$30, I'd still get them if your a "you never know..." type person - maybe the cattle rustlers on the back 40 acres are using NODs? Just have a good return policy and there is no risk.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SIASL:
View Quote
If you turn off EIS, and use at least 30 frames per second (or Photo mode) - no. There is zero latency when the camera is still and your subject/target is moving - if you pan/tilt your head rather quickly, there is a very small amount (probably single digit milliseconds?), but it's so small, I can't see it impacting anything, including shooting (and I think JoeMal is already hunting with it, so I'd say it definitely won't?).
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#25]

You'll probably be surprised - *to my eyes*, Half-Moon or better and it looks as good as the pics all the high-end analog guys post... less than that (although I haven't personally tested 1/4 Moon yet) and with no help, *analog blows it away*. BUT, if you don't have an adversary that has NODs, shooting at you (with 6mm BB's or Bullets) - IR help is perfectly acceptable - how many criminals are caught wearing NODs in the US? (yes, fantasy scenario, but valid still) And WITH IR - You have an HD image, which looks even better through the EVF, due to the better resolution from the sensor going straight to the Hi-Rez EVF - than a pic or video can show... The sensor is actually 1.3MP | SXGA |1280 x 1024 pixels| 1″ Optical format, pics and vids are limited to 720p. The EVF looks better than ABC HD on your TV and tell me that doesn't look good, LOL. You also have zero analog "graininess" or whatever its called where it looks like a movie on the big screen.

I was watching Bill Blowers in a video about NODs, he had to go up into an attic and search for a BG with his Dual setup - he had to turn on IR. But I'm bias, LOL - but for $360 it's worth testing, and I'm sure they have a return policy.
View Quote
I want a sionyx for filming. But go look through good gen3 tubes before you say it looks as good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SIASL:
View Quote
I do not consider it an issue at all. I don't even think it's noticable
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:

I want a sionyx for filming. But go look through good gen3 tubes before you say it looks as good.
View Quote
Atmospheric/External light will be the determinant factor. I can only go off what other guys post as far as Analog - Here's one from what I assume is a pretty high end unit:

Conditions given: "It was bright out" (Full? 3/4?)-

Here is an Aurora video with a Full Moon:

Instagram

Here is one of mine of my pool deck, at a guaranteed 50% Moon, all interior and exterior lights were switched off:

If we both go to search an absolutely pitch black basement, we'll both need IR, right?

940nm IR -

Here is a direct comparison:

Conditions given: "Cloud Cover - Cloudy/Overcast with cloud base @ 3100' - Moon Phase - 36% illuminated waxing crescent, Moonset 11:21pm, footage recorded at 2am on following day (no moon present during filming).
Light Pollution - Significant illuminance from reflected HP sodium street lighting"

Carpe Noctunum Comparison

And the kicker is: The Aurora sensor outputs 1024p to the EVF, so what you "see" is even better than what you can capture (720p).

Of course analog is better given all scenarios overall (like .mil in a combat zone), but my point is, Sionyx comes real, real close in a lot of them, for $360. Do you need the extra $2K in capability? If so, you can get it. If not, and especially if there is no penalty for using IR (and oh boy, if/when 980nm or 1064nm (stable) illuminators become available...) it looks really, really good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is a possibly silly question.  How does it work as a daytime camera?  Not sure i would buy one just to use at night.  But if I can use it for daytime also and then I would be very interested.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
Here is a possibly silly question.  How does it work as a daytime camera?  Not sure i would buy one just to use at night.  But if I can use it for daytime also and then I would be very interested.
View Quote
I posted some video footage a few pages back of daytime. There's also good YouTube videos
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I posted some video footage a few pages back of daytime. There's also good YouTube videos
View Quote
I will check it out. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Atmospheric/External light will be the determinant factor. I can only go off what other guys post as far as Analog - Here's one from what I assume is a pretty high end unit:

Conditions given: "It was bright out" (Full? 3/4?)-

https://i.imgur.com/yLrUp2n.jpg

Here is an Aurora video with a Full Moon:

Instagram

Here is one of mine of my pool deck, at a guaranteed 50% Moon, all interior and exterior lights were switched off:

https://i.imgur.com/m42j0gs.jpg

If we both go to search an absolutely pitch black basement, we'll both need IR, right?

940nm IR -

https://i.imgur.com/DhQ3XUF.jpg

Here is a direct comparison:

Conditions given: "Cloud Cover - Cloudy/Overcast with cloud base @ 3100' - Moon Phase - 36% illuminated waxing crescent, Moonset 11:21pm, footage recorded at 2am on following day (no moon present during filming).
Light Pollution - Significant illuminance from reflected HP sodium street lighting"

Carpe Noctunum Comparison

And the kicker is: The Aurora sensor outputs 1024p to the EVF, so what you "see" is even better than what you can capture (720p).

Of course analog is better given all scenarios overall (like .mil in a combat zone), but my point is, Sionyx comes real, real close in a lot of them, for $360. Do you need the extra $2K in capability? If so, you can get it. If not, and especially if there is no penalty for using IR (and oh boy, if/when 980nm or 1064nm (stable) illuminators become available...) it looks really, really good.
View Quote
Im not disparaging the aurora. What part of the US are you? I may be able to connect you with someone to experience good gen3 in person. That picture does it zero justice. Feel free to pm i love to spread the green eyed virus.

You can get into gen 3 for less than $2360, I did. I also have a LOT more invested now. It snowballs fast.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]

If you turn off EIS, and use at least 30 frames per second (or Photo mode) - no. There is zero latency when the camera is still and your subject/target is moving - if you pan/tilt your head rather quickly, there is a very small amount (probably single digit milliseconds?), but it's so small, I can't see it impacting anything, including shooting (and I think JoeMal is already hunting with it, so I'd say it definitely won't?).
View Quote
Some people (me) have weird brains that really pick up on and are bothered by such things.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Im not disparaging the aurora. What part of the US are you? I may be able to connect you with someone to experience good gen3 in person. That picture does it zero justice. Feel free to pm i love to spread the green eyed virus.

You can get into gen 3 for less than $2360, I did. I also have a LOT more invested now. It snowballs fast.
View Quote
Vs. $400 for the Aurora now. Just sayin.

I don't think anyone is claiming the Aurora is on the same level as Gen3 tubes. But for the cost, you get a lot more from the Aurora compared to other NV options.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Nah man, sorry if that sounded defensive, didn't mean it to - just trying to group comparable things together for future newcomers. Thanks for the offer, but I have experience with top shelf analog as of 2002 (I know it's gotten a lot better) while on active duty, and the Sionyx does everything I need it to as an AMCIT sitting in CONUS
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Klaustrophobia:

Some people (me) have weird brains that really pick up on and are bothered by such things.
View Quote
Then it's not for you (of course if they have a good return policy, you can see).
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

Vs. $400 for the Aurora now. Just sayin.

I don't think anyone is claiming the Aurora is on the same level as Gen3 tubes. But for the cost, you get a lot more from the Aurora compared to other NV options.
View Quote
He was saying it looked as good as pictures of gen 3 stuff. We know pictures dont tell the story normally.

Auroras are still cool and I look forward to their advancement. I want one to film night shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Just took these in my backyard.  No editing, straight off the card.  If focus is off on the close images, it's my fault as I was trying to manually adjust
@SGT-Fish

Link Posted: 8/20/2019 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#38]
2nd Aurora (Sport) arrived yesterday, from a 7/19 order date. Dual units is very cool - the image looks perfect. The one thing I *thought* that would happen (but I have zero knowledge) is that the border information (Gain, Battery, etc...) would merge into one - it doesn't, so you need to close 1 eye to read something (I'll probably get used to it and not have to later?). Other niggles are having to basically do anything twice - but with two independent units, that's expected. Getting to the left side power wheel is tight, since I have a small PID, but it works, so...

But man is it nice when actually looking at the image - you get used to a Mono, but Duals feels very natural. Both are hooked to a Dual Port Anker 15,000mAh pack and drawing juice just fine. MagPul OD Green Cerakote is going on today - way too much Coyote/FDE in my gear, need a change
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Standing by for pictures!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone tried getting their shipping refunded to match the current promo?  Ordered on the 23rd and have not received a shipping notification.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigspice:
Has anyone tried getting their shipping refunded to match the current promo?  Ordered on the 23rd and have not received a shipping notification.
View Quote
no. we knew what deal we were getting when we got into it. I have no desire to nickle and dime a start up company that's actually doing cool shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Standing by for pictures!
View Quote
Need to find out how long Cerakote "C" Series takes to dry!

I'm actually taking everything out to my shop right now - NOTICED SOMETHING COOL (that dual PVS-14 users prob already new, LOL!) - I had each camera off the MACHOS bridge, pepping to coat. Decided to turn them both on and see if I could get ONE on screen display image for the icons, etc... YUP! If you angle them slightly, everything merges into one (probably what "collimation" is? LOL! There may be enough play between the MACHOS locating pin, and the Aurora locating hole, to do this without modding, but if not, slightly removing some material on one side of each hole, should allow it. Once everything is VC-3'd and tightened, it shouldn't move.

The upside is, the "Image" still looks perfect even if it can't be done - must be the brain making look good?
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#43]

no. we knew what deal we were getting when we got into it. I have no desire to nickle and dime a start up company that's actually doing cool shit.
View Quote
Yea, that's how I feel, but I've been buying cutting edge "Tech" since the 90's - I paid $400 for a Palm V! Sure, it would be great if I only paid $359 each with free shipping (act now guys! ), but I don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Need to find out how long Cerakote "C" Series takes to dry!

I'm actually taking everything out to my shop right now - NOTICED SOMETHING COOL (that dual PVS-14 users prob already new, LOL!) - I had each camera off the MACHOS bridge, pepping to coat. Decided to turn them both on and see if I could get ONE on screen display image for the icons, etc... YUP! If you angle them slightly, everything merges into one (probably what "collimation" is? LOL! There may be enough play between the MACHOS locating pin, and the Aurora locating hole, to do this without modding, but if not, slightly removing some material on one side of each hole, should allow it. Once everything is VC-3'd and tightened, it shouldn't move.

The upside is, the "Image" still looks perfect even if it can't be done - must be the brain making look good?
View Quote
Not sure about the Aurora but I can confirm when using duals/binos you do 'see' one imagine. It looks like the two pictures are combined into one picture. Similar to how your eyes work lol
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Yea, that's how I feel, but I've been buying cutting edge "Tech" since the 90's - I paid $400 for a Palm V! Sure, it would be great if I only paid $359 each with free shipping (act now guys! ), but I don't mind.
View Quote
I'm not going to call and bitch about it, but it's a sucky business practice to let your early adopters pre-buy a shipment of your new product for you, and then discount the shipping before the early adopters receive said product, which they've already paid for.  I'll admit I'll actually be pretty annoyed if it turns out that the free shipping orders are filled out of the same batch...
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#46]
2nd Aurora (Sport) arrived yesterday, from a 7/19 order date. Dual units is very cool - the image looks perfect. The one thing I *thought* that would happen (but I have zero knowledge) is that the border information (Gain, Battery, etc...) would merge into one - it doesn't, so you need to close 1 eye to read something (I'll probably get used to it and not have to later?). Other niggles are having to basically do anything twice - but with two independent units, that's expected. Getting to the left side power wheel is tight, since I have a small PID, but it works, so...

But man is it nice when actually looking at the image - you get used to a Mono, but Duals feels very natural. Both are hooked to a Dual Port Anker 15,000mAh pack and drawing juice just fine. MagPul OD Green Cerakote is going on today - way too much Coyote/FDE in my gear, need a change
View Quote
Awesome, I'm excited by the possibility of the dual Auroras.

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#47]
What laser is that!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a noob to NV and Helmet mounting stuff.

Recently purchased a helmet from Ballistic Helmet Co.
https://ballisticarmorco.com/collections/ballistic-helmets/products/high-cut-ballistic-helmet-multicam

Then I found out about the Sionyx. I've read this whole thread over the last few days.

Last night I pulled the trigger on a Sionyx Sport. My buddy ordered 2.

From what I can gather, to mount it to my helmet, and have the option to run dual Sionyx, I would need the following............

MACHOS
PVS Shoe
RHNO Mount

Would that be everything?

Do I need to mod the RHNO at all?

I know everyone says to get the RHNO II.
Is the world going to explode if I get a surplus RHNO off ebay to start out?

Are there any cheaper alternatives that would be OK for light duty? (With the plan to upgrade in the future? Possibly airsoft stuff?)

Just want something to get me by for a while.
This deep rabbit hole was something I was not planning on spending money on ATM.

Will get the $42 shoe. https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/product/6437-wilcox-nvg-mounting-shoe-for-an-pvs-18-18a-p-n-14003g01/category_pathway-34.html

BTW, thanks for everyone that contributed info to this thread. I learned ALOT reading through all 21 pages of it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By savagemann:
I'm a noob to NV and Helmet mounting stuff.

Recently purchased a helmet from Ballistic Helmet Co.
https://ballisticarmorco.com/collections/ballistic-helmets/products/high-cut-ballistic-helmet-multicam

Then I found out about the Sionyx. I've read this whole thread over the last few days.

Last night I pulled the trigger on a Sionyx Sport. My buddy ordered 2.

From what I can gather, to mount it to my helmet, and have the option to run dual Sionyx, I would need the following............

MACHOS
PVS Shoe
RHNO Mount

Would that be everything?

Do I need to mod the RHNO at all?

I know everyone says to get the RHNO II.
Is the world going to explode if I get a surplus RHNO off ebay to start out?

Are there any cheaper alternatives that would be OK for light duty? (With the plan to upgrade in the future? Possibly airsoft stuff?)

Just want something to get me by for a while.
This deep rabbit hole was something I was not planning on spending money on ATM.

Will get the $42 shoe. https://ownthenight.com/mounts-accessories/product/6437-wilcox-nvg-mounting-shoe-for-an-pvs-18-18a-p-n-14003g01/category_pathway-34.html

BTW, thanks for everyone that contributed info to this thread. I learned ALOT reading through all 21 pages of it.
View Quote
Curious also. I found some surplus rhno going for about $80
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Should be able to get into an ebay Rhino 2 Ti for under $60. I believe you would then need a Norotos AKA2 dovetail adapter (Norotos PVS-15/ PVS-18 Socket) to replace the J-Arm adapter (pull out the roll pin and slide onto the I-beams) in order to interface with the shoe that you will mount to the machos.

This video is pretty helpful in understanding which part is which, and the conversion of a typicaly Rhino 2 to accept a dovetail mount:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAMT3By211M
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top