Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
http://www.recoilweb.com/sionyx-night-vision-camera-at-outdoor-retailer-139870.html#ixzz5MCQW21iE

Has anybody checked these out? I've been waiting to see the digital color night vision in a form factor small enough to be head-mounted. Are we finally there?
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cj7hawk:

I just noticed this, anyway that illuminator is also designed to be difficult to detect for Digital, SWIR, EBAPS and EBCMOS as well. I don't have an aurora to test with but I think an aurora would probably handle it about as well as Gen3.

Looks like someone added in some extra text.
View Quote
I just read a lot of your posts in another thread (with pics of an Aurora detecting 985nm - but I think it was an oscillating LED?), so I'll take your word for it. But since the Aurora can see up to 1100nm (see above FibreLASER pic at 1064nm, which I assume is a pretty stable 1064nm?) even if that was a strict 980nm (no "spill" at other wavelengths like an LED does, but a stable 980nm LASER) why wouldn't it be picked up? Teach me, Obi-Wan... Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Half-Moon last night. Killed all the interior/exterior house lights (wife was gone, lol) and took these. I've found that manually setting the shutter to 1.5 seconds, gets as close to what you actually see on the EVF. Only downside is movement blurs the image - i tried to stand really still, hahaha. Didn't think to switch to Color mode though. Next phase, I'll try 1/4 Moon. Pool Deck, and Dog (which I think I forgot to focus for):

Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'll have to get one for the $400 price....
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

Join the club, LOL! I *just* did the Helmet/NV thing, and I don't mind repeating answers for stuff already asked, so post away -
View Quote
@mickdonaldson assume I'm an idiot. What do I need to go from holding this camera in my hand to wearing it on my head. Not going into combat, and trying to keep the budget as minimal as possible.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cj7hawk:

I just noticed this, anyway that illuminator is also designed to be difficult to detect for Digital, SWIR, EBAPS and EBCMOS as well. I don't have an aurora to test with but I think an aurora would probably handle it about as well as Gen3.

Looks like someone added in some extra text.
View Quote
The Aurora is stupid sensitive to anything past 900nm. A filtered 1060nm LED lights up a room, every bit comparable to a PVS-14 with its built in illuminator, and a ~1mW 1064nm laser blooms at ~25 meters. Have a 980nm laser around here I can test it with once it gets dark.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
GO TO THE WEBSITE NOW!!!
i GOT A POP UP FOR 10% OFF. BRAND NEW FOR $360. i FOed

instantly got a text from the wife "ummmm did you just put $400 on the credit card?" so I guess it won't be a secret. but who cares
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks just ordered! Couldn't turn that down to get my feet wet with NV.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

@mickdonaldson assume I'm an idiot. What do I need to go from holding this camera in my hand to wearing it on my head. Not going into combat, and trying to keep the budget as minimal as possible.
View Quote
Lots of good content from pages 8-14, but here's a snippet of what I run.

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type. Someday I might upgrade to something a little nicer, but to get started this will work Mount: ATN PASGT. Consider a RNHO II
Adapter: Custom. fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these. He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email. PM me if you want more info. I assume the adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe. You only need the shoe ($42 shipped). This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:52:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#9]

View Quote
JoeMal basically covered it. PM him for the email to the guy that makes a *really nice* bayonet mount for a single Aurora (I deleted all the info I had saved, so glad Joe still has it). As far as a helmet, that's really up to you - a decent quality Bump is probably your best value. I have a Ballistic HHV Gen 2. That Wilcox Shoe I got from here:

Sionyx Aurora Wilcox Shoe

I grabbed a like new RHINO II off of Ebay.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Lots of good content from pages 8-14, but here's a snippet of what I run.

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type. how do I pick a size? or just get it off amazon?
Mount: ATN PASGT. Consider a RNHO II any reason not to go RHNO? looks like $50 vs $250 for the ATN
Adapter: Custom. fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these. He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email. PM me if you want more info.
I assume the adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used sending PM
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe. You only need the shoe ($42 shipped). This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself. Then what does the custom adapter do if it doesn't hook up?
View Quote
@JoeMal thanks for the info. Then what do I need as far as IR lights? I remember reading ebay was the place to go for cheap stuff that works well enough. Same with IR lasers, I'm thinking I'd want to go that route if possible.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 5:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#11]

@JoeMal thanks for the info. Then what do I need as far as IR lights? I remember reading ebay was the place to go for cheap stuff that works well enough. Same with IR lasers, I'm thinking I'd want to go that route if possible.
View Quote
Fandy fire IR flashlight is what a lot of us use. Under 20 on Amazon
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/IR-Illuminators-for-under-100/18-500850/&page=1&anc=5147699#i5147699

I have a cheap NcStar (yes, ) VISM DBAL laser for my AR to hunt with. Under 100 on eBay. Someday I'll upgrade to something nicer but for now that's what I have and it works. There are others in the $500+ range
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Mount: ATN PASGT. Consider a RNHO II. (Any reason not to go RHNO? looks like $50 vs $250 for the ATN)

Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe. You only need the shoe ($42 shipped). This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself. (Then what does the custom adapter do if it doesn't hook up?)
View Quote
Repost - Helmet has Shroud built into it...RHINO II clips into Shroud...CHAIM Mount clicks into RHINO II Bayonet interface...Wilcox Shoe attaches to Sionyx Aurora, allowing it to clip into the CHAIM Mount. I'll try to get better picks later, HTH.

Link Posted: 7/10/2019 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
@steviesterno16

Hopefully these help more on the Lego'ness of clicking everything (It's all Black though - hard to differentiate)

Link Posted: 7/10/2019 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Fandy fire IR flashlight is what a lot of us use. Under 20 on Amazon
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/IR-Illuminators-for-under-100/18-500850/&page=1&anc=5147699#i5147699

I have a cheap NcStar (yes, ) VISM DBAL laser for my AR to hunt with. Under 100 on eBay. Someday I'll upgrade to something nicer but for now that's what I have and it works. There are others in the $500+ range
View Quote
My Klesh Russian IR/illuminator works well. Was around $250. Shaped more like a bulky pistol light. Came with pressure pads. Might spring for a PERST type in the future.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 7:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#15]
Cool haven't heard of the Klesh

Yes a RHNO will work fine.

You can search the lancer website for resellers and try on a helmet in a store
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
They have just announced a sort version. Same everything so far, except no GPS. $399! That seems crazy cheaphttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455820/1B0E089A-19B0-4E82-AB9B-0F0C0B463985_png-1009599.JPG
View Quote
It’s 359.00 now on website. Fuck it, I Iam I’m...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
нажмите здесь
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
нажмите здесь
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

нажмите здесь
I think my AK might need one of those
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m wondering if $360 is the pre order intro price or is this going to be standard pricing?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I emailed Sionyx to ask the difference and they replied with..Sport has no GPS, Compass, Pitch and Roll Overlay, or Sensor for the Loop Mode. ALL other features and specifications are the same. signed by Bill in customer service.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I think for that price its worth it.

Curious if there's a way to mount a relatively small IR light to it for hand held use vs going the helmet mount routine?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
I think for that price its worth it.

Curious if there's a way to mount a relatively small IR light to it for hand held use vs going the helmet mount routine?
View Quote
Yes there is

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=651778331993243&id=330426150795131
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By smeeg:
I’m wondering if $360 is the pre order intro price or is this going to be standard pricing?
View Quote
Got a response back from them $399 is normal $360 is pre order pricing
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
How long will the preorder sale last?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Echo arms will have a helmet mount in the next 1-2 weeks From Instagram
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I went ahead and ordered one of the new Aurora Sport models. Not sure how long the pre-order sale is going to last but it's a hell of a deal. They have said on their Instagram they are looking to ship in about 3-4 weeks if anyone is curious.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I purchased the monstrom tactical lens cover as suggested on the Sionyx FAQ page from Amazon. Delivered in about 48 hours for about $10.00. It seems to provide ample lens coverage with out obstructing the view. I realized that having one was a big deal when I caught my 4 year old running around with it (snagged it off the charger). I will try posting pictures later Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BlueRaiderTN:
I purchased the monstrom tactical lens cover as suggested on the Sionyx FAQ page from Amazon. Delivered in about 48 hours for about $10.00. It seems to provide ample lens coverage with out obstructing the view. I realized that having one was a big deal when I caught my 4 year old running around with it (snagged it off the charger). I will try posting pictures later /media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif
View Quote
Yep, a cover is a must have imo. Butler Creek blizzard #8 is another one that will fit
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, the Blizzard #8 is the ticket - optically clear so you don't have to do anything to use.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#30]
What were they thinking with that color
View Quote
Snow camo?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BlueRaiderTN:
I emailed Sionyx to ask the difference and they replied with..Sport has no GPS, Compass, Pitch and Roll Overlay, or Sensor for the Loop Mode. ALL other features and specifications are the same. signed by Bill in customer service.
View Quote
From their webpage...

SiOnyx Aurora Sport, the newest addition to the Aurora lineup. Enhance your nighttime awareness on the water with true color night vision. Be on the water when others aren't; whether you're navigating a boat or capturing a big catch of the night, don't miss a moment. Included with our patented Ultra Low-Light IR sensor technology that not only captures images under low-light conditions but gives you true night vision capability in monochrome or in color.  Your newest nighttime companion, Aurora Sport.

Anyone else find it odd that a device marketed towards boaters had the GPS and Compass removed?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sydney7629:

From their webpage...

SiOnyx Aurora Sport, the newest addition to the Aurora lineup. Enhance your nighttime awareness on the water with true color night vision. Be on the water when others aren't; whether you're navigating a boat or capturing a big catch of the night, don't miss a moment. Included with our patented Ultra Low-Light IR sensor technology that not only captures images under low-light conditions but gives you true night vision capability in monochrome or in color.  Your newest nighttime companion, Aurora Sport.

Anyone else find it odd that a device marketed towards boaters had the GPS and Compass removed?
View Quote
Not really, other than a Johnboat, those guys have electronics out the ying-yang. My buddy's isn't anything major, and he has RADAR.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
Snow camo?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
What were they thinking with that color
Snow camo?
Yeah, just in time for the summer.

Hmm?  In hindsight, it probably will not be until winter before I get all the other pieces of the puzzle together (Helmet, mount, etc)
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't ordered the Sport yet, still waiting on a customer to pay, grrrr. But I am 100% going to spray it with Duracoat, so I'll be the $360 Guinea Pig.

On another note, I came across a "Group" on Facebook (I don't "do" Facebook, found it via Google) that is Airsoft based, but is using the heck out of the Aurora. Sionyx Actual is also a regular contributor. Anyway, there are some good tips in there, and one of them was about Eye-Relief and the need to "bury" the camera in your face to see everything. Well, I can't believe it wasn't obvious, but the camera's rubber eye-piece just pops OFF, LOL. It helps - I didn't have a huge issue with it, but it does "open up" the FOV a bit. I'm going to grab a DIY sheet of optically clear 'Screen Protector' material, and put it on the EVF screen.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought an Anker Powercore II at 10,000mAh and it fits almost perfectly in a Helmet Counterweight Pouch:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-10000mAh-Compatible/dp/B072MH1434

Any USB-A to Micro USB cable will work. If this is for use while mounted to a helmet, a right angle connector will minimize the cable sticking out from the camera.

1.5ft is the perfect length, but 2 ft would be fine too, as far as cable management - I got this one and covered the LED with electrical tape:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6BT1PW/ref=twister_B07L62DRNC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: For some weird reason, if you *don't* install a Micro-SD Card, the unit will power up (at least on firmware 1.0, havent tried with 1.10) even when connected to the external battery - you just have to dismiss the "No SD Card" message... but when you install the card, you now have to unplug the USB from the battery, turn on, then re-plug. No biggie, it's easy to do.
View Quote
If possible, can you please be more specific, as to name and model # of the counterweight or ANVIS pouch recommended for your battery?

Pics or links with measurements would be great since many sites do not list them.

Maybe I'll go with your 3.8 x 2.4 x 0.9in Powercore II at 10,000mAh or up it to the 13000mAh 3.8 x 3.1 x 0.9in sized battery, not sure at this point.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:57:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#36]
Originally Posted By 1776blackrifle:

If possible, can you please be more specific, as to name and model # of the counterweight or ANVIS pouch recommended for your battery?

Pics or links with measurements would be great since many sites do not list them.

Maybe I'll go with your 3.8 x 2.4 x 0.9in Powercore II at 10,000mAh or up it to the 13000mAh 3.8 x 3.1 x 0.9in sized battery, not sure at this point.
View Quote
Your best bet for accommodating most batteries in the 10k-15K mAh (or even maybe two 10K's?), would be this style of helmet accessory:

TNVC Mohawk MK2 Gen. 2

That's the type I have. It's 2AM, wife's asleep, can't measure for you, sorry.

Edit: In addition to the 10K battery standing upright (see above pics), I have snack size zip-loc bags of 9mm rounds, AA, and CR123 in there too (in front of the battery, and to the left) - as I need ~20oz of counterweight and refuse to carry useless lead, lol. The straps easily cover the upright battery, and you can even go a little taller. The batteries are light, so leave room for other "weight".
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#37]

If possible, can you please be more specific... measurements would be great since many sites do not list them.
View Quote
Rough estimate of a loaded pouch, measured externally:

L to R Width - 4.25"
T to B Height - 3.25"
F to B Thickness - 1.5""

Because of the adjustable Velcro straps, you can still secure something that is about 4.75" High/Tall.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I reached out to Echo Arms as follows:

A rumor on AR15.com brought this inquiry about as follows:

1.) Do you have plans for creating a mount for the Sionyx Aurora?
2.) If so, will it be a mount for filming off to the side or designed for ocular viewing?
3.) If plans are in the works, do we have an expected price point and a product release date?

I apologize if I have been misinformed, there was information that stated a post on Instagram stated such.

Thank you for your time,

and received the following reply:

I have the first batch of helmet mounts done now. Dropping off at anodize Monday. They are based on my Velcro mounts. POV filming, not meant for ocular viewing.
Regards,
Eric Hostetler
Echo Arms-Owner
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Screw it. I fent on the Sport.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
As did I!  I thought it somewhat hilarious I almost did not because of the 29.58 shipping charge.  I hate paying high shipping, although in this case with the extremely low price, and the pre-order bonus still making it under 400, I couldn't resist.
Now to start buying accessories, and what I truly fear is this being a terrible, terrible new gateway to funnel money away from so many other projects I intended to work on.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By cttb:
View Quote
As did I.

I have no experience with NV so i am going to hold off on a bunch of accessories until i see how it works.  I may get an IR illuiminator for about $20 or so on Amazon though
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I just picked up the sport as well. I didn't see that they removed the compass and GPS which sucks but I didn't really use it anyway with the regular model. I tried comparing the rest of the specs and from what I can tell it's the same just IP67 rated. I hope that's correct.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Rough estimate of a loaded pouch, measured externally:

L to R Width - 4.25"
T to B Height - 3.25"
F to B Thickness - 1.5""

Because of the adjustable Velcro straps, you can still secure something that is about 4.75" High/Tall.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
Thank you for all your help, I'll check into that setup as an option.

Preferably the battery would have at least two outputs but your Mohawk could still allow two batteries, to run duals if they each had only one output so that's a plus.

The ops-core Counterweight Kit # 39-99-101 doesn't list any measurements, looks pretty low profile with connections at both ends, maybe it would fit the smaller cylindrical Anker batteries.

The 4.5" x 3.5" MilSim GoPro battery pouch could be a good option as well. It's airsoft, but made by Tac Tailor, so there could be some quality to it.

Before, was considering the 6 x 3 x 1 EOG counter weight pouch and SOE NSW Helmet Ballast.

The largest pouches seem to give us the most options, until we find out what the perfect size battery that lasts and keeps its charge is.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By hallec6045:

Now to start buying accessories, and what I truly fear is this being a terrible, terrible new gateway to funnel money away from so many other projects I intended to work on.
View Quote
You would be correct, but man it's fun Look at it this way, if the limitations of the Aurora, compared to analog NV aren't a concern for you (generally being you won't get shot for using an illuminator) - you saved thousand$

A Bump Helmet, and RHINO II off of Ebay will be the most economical route.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#45]
As did I.

I have no experience with NV so i am going to hold off on a bunch of accessories until i see how it works.  I may get an IR illuiminator for about $20 or so on Amazon though
View Quote
Get the 940nm Fandy - it's a really nice light. I'm grabbing another as a spare. You'll need an 18650, it doesn't come with one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I just picked up the sport as well. I didn't see that they removed the compass and GPS which sucks but I didn't really use it anyway with the regular model. I tried comparing the rest of the specs and from what I can tell it's the same just IP67 rated. I hope that's correct.
View Quote
According to Sionyx, everything is the same - they just removed those two features.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:31:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Thank you for all your help, I'll check into that setup as an option.

Preferably the battery would have at least two outputs but your Mohawk could still allow two batteries, to run duals if they each had only one output so that's a plus.
View Quote
Yes, I could definitely run another 10K Powercore II right next to the first one. Maybe two 13K or 15K, but I'd have to measure. @JoeMal and I both originally tried it out with giant 20K's secured by the bungee cords, LOL - that works too You could even get one of the ruggedized ones that include a solar panel, and run it without access to electricity!
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 2:42:29 AM EDT
[#48]
@JoeMal

I heard back on the firmware:

Normally I'd call BS on a response like this, but in this case, I think it's legit. They're the only ones commercially offering this capability to average consumers, and posting the exact firmware settings changed, could give up the ghost, so to speak.

I'm ordering my Sport today, my customer paid me, woot! Dual setup in a few weeks...
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#49]
As did I.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cttb:
As did I.

Give me an oar, rowing the same boat.  At best maybe pick up a QD weapons mount.

Back to technical aspect of this thread......Since the Sport version is lacking some of the non essential features as compared to the original model, do you think there will be a performance boost since the processor does not have to deal with the ancillary programming?

Will battery life be augmented as well since the power requirements are semi diminished?
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Just plunked down MG money last month.  Told myself no more while the stamp processes to let the bank recover.  But there keep being killer deals on expensive stuff I want.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top