Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2018 11:42:35 AM EDT
I have found 2 articles in the archive about folks asking about converting their ATN PS-22 to a 3rd gen night vision. However, I have yet to find anyone who has carried through and done it. Now my housing is the one with the focus knob at the 10:30 position, which I believe is the desired housing for such a conversion. If this isn't the right housing then please let me know.

Im not into this unit for much, $473 to be exact. It does work but it is just a 2+ CGT unit.  So if anyone has made the conversion please chime in with advice, what you experienced, anything to help me make an informed choice going forward.

A second question. What is the part number for the quick release mount from from A.R.M.S. or American Defense for the PS22 unit?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biggest issue is having a collimation table to re-collimate the optic which the PS-22's were notorious for not holding boresight alignment due to the housing itself. If I were you, I'd never crack open that housing if it's shooting well now...
View Quote
I haven't even mounted it or shot off it. If only there was a company or individual who would be willing to re-collimate it for me if i go through with the tube conversion :)
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#4]
on a MX-10130d/uv, how can i find out without a spec sheet if it is autogated, etc? It does say Exp 2012 on the housing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Have been doing a lot of research and reading. For those interested here is a very helpful link!

http://www.nightvisionforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6692

From this link it appears the PS-22 housing with the knob at 10:30 position is the correct one to convert to a XM-10103D tube. Now i get that nothing in life is perfect, but it does appear possible to do the conversion without too much trouble. Found it particularly interesting how one can adjust the point of impact by loosening the three screws and slowly turning, tightening, and shooting until things come into alignment.

I read somewhere, cant recall where, that using a IR light or laser, i cant recall which, one can set up the collominator(spelling) once tube is installed.  Anyone who can shed light on this method please chime in!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Well my new to me MX-10130D tube should be here today so will begin the break down and conversion this week as work allows. I will take pics and post once done for those wishing to do the conversion as well.

On a side note picked up a PS40 WPT unit. Once it arrive will see how clear it is. If not happy will be on the lookout for a MX-10160 tube. This unit doesn't have the gain control knob. Has anyone by chance messed with the PS-40 WPT unit? If so what were your impressions, likes, dislikes etc? Lastly anyone upgraded the tube in these units? Anyone have pictures of these taken apart?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well the MX-10130D/UV arrived just about 30 minutes ago. I backed out the forward 3 set screws and then removed the entire lens assembly. Backed out the black lock down ring and the copper 4 prong tension spring. Turned the unit over and the factory intensifier tube came out. I looked at it compared to the new unit and you guessed it sports fans, my PS22 has the Russian short intensifier tube in it. Its already back together and i didn't measure the length difference but id guess it is somewhere around 3/8" difference in length.  I just smiled, cleaned the lenses really well and put it back together. After it was all locked down I removed the rubber cover over back of the unit. Backed out the purge screw. Gave it three shots of the Argon gas based wine preserver in a can. Put the purge screw back in place, applied glue to the housing and secured the rubber cover.

Pluses to the story.... Well i now know that the early model PS22 with the focus knob at the 10:30 position is not the right housing. Plus number 2, it is a good unit for seeing at night especially with a good IR torch, which i have 2 of :)  3rd...I have a great intensifier tube if i decide to build a PVS7 or I stumble across another PS22 with a longer housing for the mx-10130D/UV tube. 4th....I have a PS40 in route, so things are already looking up. Even though the ps40 is a WPT unit, if i don't like it according to ATN I can fit a USA made MX-10160 unit in it if/when i want.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, you also most likely lost collimation on that unit...
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Congrats, you also most likely lost collimation on that unit...
View Quote
Actually I didn't
I appreciate the support. Part of the live and learn process lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually I didn't
I appreciate the support. Part of the live and learn process lol
View Quote
Why not? Share with the class and all...
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I have shared with the class as you say.  As for why not. Well possibly because everything was put back exactly as it was. And I do mean exactly as it was. Before beginning this experiment I imerrsed myself in all info I could find on this topic. If tubes would have changed then there would have to be adjustments.

Now I've taken your comments as possible hacks on what's was done. But certainly that couldn't be the case would it? After all why would anyone attempt to knock down someone who decided to experiment and at same time help others who may want to do the conversion as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Not trying to knock anyone. Its just that based on my experience ive had re-zero pvs4s and other riflescopes ive built when i swapped tubes. I find the idea that it was "exactly" the same a bit dubious is all. The tourqe on all the screws was measured and reset?

Anyhow try it out and report back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well on that note, prior to splitting the unit into its forward and rear halves i made a scribe line where the two halves met up. Then i backed out the 3 set screws that kept the two halves from backing out from each other.  Then I backed out the two halves from one another. I then made another scribe line on the lock ring that holds the 4 prong tension spring and intensifier tube in place. Once this ring was backed out I discovered the intensifier tube with it is the shorter russian tube and not the US MX-10130D/UV standard length. So I cleaned both ends of the russian tube and put it all back together to the scribe lines made earlier. Purged it and tested it all when it got dark.

Everything looked exactly as it had prior to the tare down. Maybe one day I will find the proper PS22 housing for the MX-10130D/UV and give it a go. Until then, will enjoy the PS22 for what it is and anxiously look forward to playing with the incoming PS40.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#14]
i have had the ps22 and put a 10130 tube in it (its a while age but i think it was the one with the rotating the barrel of the body to focus it , i remember it took a while to find the tube type / housing type to be sure i would be able to fit a 10130 ) but i fould the limiting thing was more the rear output lens as it is a little small , they will be ok for up to a certain range /magnification but i think a real good gen3 10130 would be nicer in a pvs7  , it would make the ps22 better but not better enough
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm starting to think along the same lines Sir. Thinking the PS22 unit will be used where ranges are limited to 100 yards. And that the PS40 will be used for little longer ranges. I don't have the pockets for a PVS22 type unit hence my experiment with this PS22. But I shall stay on the lookout for a PS22 unit with the proper housing for a conversion. Already have a great mx10130 tube put away in the safe ready for that time :)
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
i have had the ps22 and put a 10130 tube in it (its a while age but i think it was the one with the rotating the barrel of the body to focus it , i remember it took a while to find the tube type / housing type to be sure i would be able to fit a 10130 ) but i fould the limiting thing was more the rear output lens as it is a little small , they will be ok for up to a certain range /magnification but i think a real good gen3 10130 would be nicer in a pvs7  , it would make the ps22 better but not better enough
View Quote
I now understand what you mean better in regards to the rear output Sir. Got the PS40 in today and was able to compare the 2 side by side. The PS-40 will get the nod. But will stay on the look out for the proper ps22 for a conversion just because i have a mx-10103D/UV with no home. That is unless i build a PVS-7 :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top