Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2018 8:25:47 PM EDT
I see the old archived threads about the MAWL from last year, but I am curious now that a bunch of people have them - what's the verdict?

Specifically interested in the illuminator for use between 300 and 1,000 yards with a PVS-30.  Does it get the job done?  At what point/distance does the usefulness start to fade?

Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for weekday crew?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics did one. I got to play with a Civi one and I have to say that it is hands down the best civilian system available on the market when you consider effectiveness, design and ergonomics. Other civi systems don't hold a candle to it. The D2 is the only thing that comps close but the ergonomics just aren't as great. But it can also be had for around $1300 and its amazing. $2500 is still a tough pill to swallow for the MAWL.

MAWL Review: Sage Dynamics
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
With a clip-on, shooting long range, especially when you're not shooting far above the ground you really want a focusable laser illuminator like a Luna.

At that range you want to be able to aim your illuminator or you get so much spill in the foreground that you can't see your target. I haven't personally used a mawl but I have a dbal-d2 and a few focusable led illuminators with adjustable mounts and even though I could aim and focus the beam they still have enough spill to create issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the MAWL do for prone shooting with a clip-on?  Any issue with ground splash?
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a clip on, but i've shot prone with my MAWL a number of times with weapon mounted NV, and don't notice any splash when used on the long range setting. While the MAWL doesn't have a manual focus, the different modes are geared for different engagement ranges, so you can set it on low with a lot of room wide splash for indoors work, medium for a bit more outward push with decent close in illumination, or long for basically no close in illumination and a nice tight beam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top