Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2018 5:04:50 PM EDT
I'm looking for a new thermal unit for area searches.  I need enough resolution to ID a human within a 100-200 yards.  It looks like handheld monoculars would be the cheapest.  My company budget is around $1000.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What does ID mean to you? Is it human or is it bob?

Also 1k is pretty much gonna be the absolute bottom of the barrel. Most likely 160 class cores, maybe if you get really lucky an old used 320 core unit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just need to ID whether or not a heat source is human and not specific features.  Would the FLIR Scout III series in the $1600-$2000 be good choice if I could convince the powers-that-be to open the purse a little?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats the 240x180core right? It should work for those ranges. But in that price range you might be able to find a used pulsar hd19 or hd38 which are better.

Basically if we really oversimplify, 2 things effect detection range; lens magnification, and detector resolution.

The lens on the flir isnt great and the detector is a bit limited. The pulsars have better lens systems (especially the 38) and 384x253 detectors which give you substantially better resolution (2x the pixels).
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had not considered used.  That's a good idea and thank you for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
There are also some places that you can rent units from try before you buy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thats the 240x180core right? It should work for those ranges. But in that price range you might be able to find a used pulsar hd19 or hd38 which are better.
View Quote
This is what I was going to suggest. Pulsar will take care of you and might even have LEO pricing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is what I was going to suggest. Pulsar will take care of you and might even have LEO pricing.
View Quote
They do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top