Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2018 5:09:05 PM EDT
I'm an I2 guy with a white belt in thermal. Need to stay low $2k range. Mainly handheld w/ I2 but occasional weapon mount for varmint/predator. 223-to-30 cal max ar platform. Will mostly be used in dense juniper, pinyon, grass and rocks (Northern AZ). Will see a little desert SW. I'm looking at the PTS233 but what else fits, Pulsar xyz123 and/or..? Video recording needed and 123's not internal.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#1]
PTS233 is going to be the top performer of your price range. It is a nice unit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want it to run off expensive batteries that don't last long?
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Because I hate it when you thought something was fully charged and find out in bfe. Not that it happens often but you know how it goes, shit like that always happens at the worst possible time. I'm looking at the trail xq38. Any experience with realistic ips5 run time and how many spares the average joe (not pro guides) needs to pack let's say an all-nighter. *added: also how long they take to charge from empty
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because I hate it when you thought something was fully charged and find out in bfe. Not that it happens often but you know how it goes, shit like that always happens at the worst possible time. I'm looking at the trail xq38. Any experience with realistic ips5 run time and how many spares the average joe (not pro guides) needs to pack let's say an all-nighter. *added: also how long they take to charge from empty
View Quote
Don't wait until you're in BFE to check your batteries.

The Trail XQ38 is a solid unit.  I was going to suggest the XQ30 based on your price point until I saw your battery requirement.  The XQ38 is an improvement over the XQ30 in that it has more base mag and offers adjustable focus.

I run the IPS 5 battery pack. Pulsar claims up to 10 hours on a single charge.  Based on my usage, I believe it.  I can go two back to back 8pm–2am hunts no problem, and the scope is on most of that time.

FWIW I do keep a spare batt, because shit does happen.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend has an XQ30 and loves it, he's primarily a hog hunter. He chose it over the PTS233. I personally despise anything with proprietary batteries.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Run time will be @8.5 hrs till it blacks out.  If it near freezing temp, more like 6.  Add 2 hrs to both times for the bigger aftermarket battery

Will take about 3hrs to charge from zero , to full.

I have seen some variations between run times on batteries that are fully charged.  Same night, identical units, hour or so worth of difference.  Not sure of the cause . Maybe one guy zooming in/out more , or constantly changing settings, drains more power , I don’t know. I tend to think it’s got to do with the individual battery itself, based on my non-scientific research
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info thank you sir
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI, went with Trail XQ38. Thanks Tmm1270 and 35Remington for the battery info and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top