Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2018 11:30:07 AM EDT
I currently have a ops core bump helmet but i am looking in the marked for something a little heavier duty. I am not in any LE or Mil capacity so the chance of me getting shot at are not likely, i tried on a buddies ballistic and actually like the balance of the extra weight. At the price point the HHV seems like a good choice vs the other $800+  but wanted to get some opinions.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak to that helmet, but I have the Alpha from bulletproof-it.com and I like what I got for $350.

I actually got mine on eBay for a lot less, but it was in black. Not the color I'd choose at full price, but it was a deal.

Here
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
HHV is a good option. I’ve gotten a few items from them and they are a good value.

Unless your getting shot at or want ballistic protection a ballistic helmet is never gonna be the most comfortable option.

If there is too much flex in your bump upgrade to a carbon from OC, TW, or MtEK and get a good counterweight and Mount system.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
ACH shell $100
Either:
Team Wendy Epic pads $75-100
4D zero G helmet liner $110
Plus:
Team wendy Cam-fit chin strap $105

Add your norotos/wilcox helmet mount of choice, rails if you absolutely must, cool guy Velcro, and have all of the premium features except for the polyethylene composite shell of the FAST helmet for $400-500 done and done.

Buy a second ACH shell and trim the ears back if you decide you want to helmet mount comms. I have no problem wearing Comtacs under my ACH though, if you remove the crown pad and replace with two trapezoid pads leaving a gap for the headband.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing I can say about them is they batch test their helmets which is better than some. They are heavy and everything on them including the shell is made overseas.

I would love to get an ops core someday for novelty but with my slight neck problems and the fact I don't really get shot at anymore, I really really like the ops core carbon. I had a bump and it was solid but hated the mount being built into the helmet. The ops core carbon is solid, so are Wendy and MTEK too. Im about to cut my carbon to a super high cut for comms once I get the rails in from ops core.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Chinese garbage. Don't cut corners on PPE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I just made the same decision and was looking at the HHV helmets too.
I decided against it, it was only a little bit more for a well known reputable trustworthy company.

I went with 3m, and I ordered it from botach. It takes a while though cause they custom make them.
https://www.botach.com/3m-combat-high-cut-ballistic-helmet-w-d30-blunt-trauma-force-7-pad-system/

I already had a Wilcox mount so I just drilled and mounted the helmet mount to the helmet.
I got the 4D pads and I freaking need love them so nice, and the Team Wendy Cam fit retention system is so nice. It fits my head perfectly.
That's what I did I couldn't be happier
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah but the real question is how long that bag of skittles lasted.

When we start to discuss things, especially safety equipment, I think we really need to separate the hobby aspects from the real world use.  In places like this, you have so many end-users mixed together that state opinions on stuff.  Getting an opinion from someone without specifying exactly what you're using it for is pretty useless.  Case in point, this particular helmet might be fine for mil-sim, but not so good for real world use.  But unless the person says exactly what they're using it for, how are you going to evaluate the opinions you get?

There was another thread on these guys in the gear section awhile back.  They looked legit, and sounded legit, but at the end of the day, I think the conclusion was it was foreign made with insufficient QA to be relied on.  That still seems to be the case, judging from that pic.

I would also add that with the new helmet coming out, ACH's of all kinds should be available very soon, at good prices.  So why take a chance like this on an unknown vendor, when known-quality surplus helmets will be coming down the pipe real soon.

My POV is as a civilian "prepper".  If I buy a helmet, it would be for possible real world use.  So my opinion is pass on these guys.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Seeing that picture makes me even more happy in my decision to save for an ops core. That’s pretty awesome technology that they can be as light as they are and have almost no deformation, incredible.

Moral of the story is always you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
they weigh the same as a MICH when both are equipped for use, they cover less, they have more BFD....... I'll stick with my Ops-Core FAST or when the applique become available for the Caiman I may grab them
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a Revision highcut ACH (ViperA3) if you are on a budget and get a 3 hole drilled shell if you can. Add the Team Wendy BOA harness, Team Wendy Epic AIR pads or 4D pads, ARC rails, and a L4 Wilcox 3 hole shroud if you want a cheaper helmet with all the features and comfort of an Ops Core, with a little more weight. Just use the Revision MSS if you want more stable and comfortable than stock ACH to save money.

There is no reason to get a HHV helmet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't speak to that helmet, but I have the Alpha from bulletproof-it.com and I like what I got for $350.

I actually got mine on eBay for a lot less, but it was in black. Not the color I'd choose at full price, but it was a deal.

Here
View Quote
Where is this helmet made?  I don't see anything on the description.  And is it actually tested, or not?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where is this helmet made?  I don't see anything on the description.  And is it actually tested, or not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here
Indeed, how do you know it isn't made in the same factory as the HHV with the same flaws?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Indeed, how do you know it isn't made in the same factory as the HHV with the same flaws?
View Quote
I don't, and don't particularly care. If I'm shot in the head I'm pretty much expecting to die either because I'm wearing no helmet, or I'm wearing something not up to Ops Core quality which I can't really justify seeing as I'm HDLS. I bought mine primarily as a night vision platform and it balances better than a lightweight bump helmet when mounting a ton of gear to it.

Here are the specs on this helmet including the test results if you truly are interested,
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't, and don't particularly care. If I'm shot in the head I'm pretty much expecting to die either because I'm wearing no helmet, or I'm wearing something not up to Ops Core quality which I can't really justify seeing as I'm HDLS. I bought mine primarily as a night vision platform and it balances better than a lightweight bump helmet when mounting a ton of gear to it.

Here are the specs on this helmet including the test results if you truly are interested,
View Quote
The test results on that page don't mention anything about backface deformation. I'd almost wager money that it's the same thing as the HHV.

That said, I'm sure the helmet is just fine as a NVD platform. But if you don't need ballistics, I got my Team Wendy Exfil LTP for far less than that, and it's amazing as an NVD platform.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top