Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 6:08:46 PM EDT
UPDATE (5/16/2018):
And now this triangle has appeared. Definitely wasn't there yesterday. Just showed up when I turned on tonight.

Will this disappear?

Here's the video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwzVe7Ns4iXtM4d33

ORIGINAL:
I purchased this optic from US Night Vision:

"US Night Vision PVS-14A Night Vision Monocular, Gen 3 Chrome,White Phosphor Auto-Gated Unfilmed, Black"
https://www.opticsplanet.com/us-night-vision-usnv-pvs-14a-monocular.html?_iv_code=US-NVM-PVS-14A-001215

I read that imperfections are standard in all night vision tubes, but I wasn't sure if what I'm observing is within the norm, or outside:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jWjn6jLiYfGigW0z1

I placed a video as well to make it easier to see in movement. There's one block spot, a smudge, and looks to be a bright spot.

The item was backordered from when I originally ordered about late 2017. USNV stated that: "It’s being built with a more costly Aviator Grade Image Tube as to avoid further delays."

Perhaps one could argue the blemishes are that much more noticeable due to clarity in the rest of the image from the Aviator Grade Image Tubes?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what "aviator grade" means in this context as they tend to be without manual gain so my guess is no aviator has a similar tube in his goggles. What I remember from some specs & repair guides if there's a bright spot (that is visible over a certain dim illuminance limit) it's to be discarded automatically. That looks quite bright to me. Do you have a spec sheet (don't post an image of it, just the info on it in text format) that describes these blems?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sur ewhat you mean by spec sheet. I ordered it through OpticsPlanet.com

https://www.opticsplanet.com/us-night-vision-usnv-pvs-14a-monocular.html?_iv_code=US-NVM-PVS-14A-001215
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sur ewhat you mean by spec sheet. I ordered it through OpticsPlanet.com

View Quote
Non-mil-contract tubes come with a sheet that describes it's tested performance and list visible/allowed blems. The sheet itself is ITAR but the values on it are not. I suppose you didn't get one then.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't sweat the two black spots at all.

Cover the objective lens with a cap so no light gets in and look through the tube, if the bright spot goes dark you're good. If it remains bright I'd be slightly concerned.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The product description and product photos are all kinds of fucked up.

Often times a "PVS14A" model designation indicates the use of an MX10160 type tube with fixed gain. In the initial description the page indicates variable gain, however the "specs" section says the tube has ABC and doesn't mention variable gain.

Does your gain control knob function or does the monocular have fixed gain? Aviation tubes are typically fixed gain MX10160 type.

The tube looks good and I would be very happy with it. The little blem appears to be outside of zone-1 and is pretty small, so it could meet aviation spec, shrug. I would be very pleased with that unit. So long as the bright spot is not an emission point anyway. In a totally blacked out room with no windows doors or LEDs, (or with aluminum foil over the lens) does the bright spot stay lit or does it go away?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My first thought was they don't look bad...pretty small.  Smudge not noticable with normal use.  Black spot tiny and not in main field of view.  The bright spot I am not sure about.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those spots are tiny. Most likely below .003" and not listed on the spot chart on the data sheet.
View Quote
I have never paid so close attention to the spot charts as I've never gotten one in my hand. Are they inch squared or just inch, area or diameter? The repair guide I remember talked about checking for area in reference to the test image, though I may remember wrong of course.

With my OCD I had to check what the biggest spot size in that image is assuming the image is 17.5mm and it comes to 0.0031" to 0.0047" in diameter depending if you take only the darkest areas, or in area it's 0.012" to 0.016" squared.

Edit: alright you learn something every day - the numbers apparently are in inch meaning diameter, though area is compared per the manual I have. Guess that spot is smaller than 0.003" in real life or just about the size, like you said probably not on the sheet anyways.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks like it might be a spec of dust to me - Have you tried cleaning it?

Though understandtable that you might not want to open it to do so -

David
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does your gain control knob function or does the monocular have fixed gain? Aviation tubes are typically fixed gain MX10160 type.

The tube looks good and I would be very happy with it. The little blem appears to be outside of zone-1 and is pretty small, so it could meet aviation spec, shrug. I would be very pleased with that unit. So long as the bright spot is not an emission point anyway. In a totally blacked out room with no windows doors or LEDs, (or with aluminum foil over the lens) does the bright spot stay lit or does it go away?
View Quote
I believe has auto-gain. No way to change it.

The light spot is hardly seen in the dark. Goes full black.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe has auto-gain. No way to change it.

The light spot is hardly seen in the dark. Goes full black.
View Quote
Then you're money, get off the forum and go play with it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
And now this triangle has appeared. Definitely wasn't there yesterday. Just showed up when I turned on tonight.

Will this disappear?

Here's the video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwzVe7Ns4iXtM4d33
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Time to send it back.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Was this on a gun? Bright light source? If maybe bright light, you can try the shoe box trick...
View Quote
No. Just sitting on my desk indoors with the protective cap on the entire time.

I've contact US Night Vision to see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Was this on a gun? Bright light source? If maybe bright light, you can try the shoe box trick...
View Quote
When I take a closer look at the image, the protective ring that blocks out the light fits that triangle perfectly. So I suspect it occurred while facing a window. I will try the shoe box trick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top