Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2018 11:10:39 PM EDT
I have 3 pvs-14's and I understand they're a significant investment,  but I feel as though I may baby them too much. It's to the point of OCD. Like I'm concerned about getting a scratch on the housing or worse lenses. Even though it may not hinder the devices ability to function. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I am kinda like that when I first get a new toy....but over the years I have put my pvs14 to more and more use...I wouldn't say abuse...but good use without worrying about babying it...and maybe a few "oops" moments...it still functions like new, it's been 11 years.  You can't take it with you when you die...electronics don't last forever...you will have more fun the more you use them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Certainly on day one, yes.  After the shock wears off and it’s down to regular use, it gets regular use.  Nothing abusing but also not something that nags at me walking through the woods.  After the first oops or ding, the rest don’t seem to matter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand why someone might be like that and I have some gun stuff I'm like that with but I also have no issues when I buy something to use it and it gets worn/dinged/scratched from use, I bought it to use it not stare at it. I always get a kick out of the guys at pistol matches that have raceguns that are mint but cant stick a reload to save there life.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
You can send one to me for protective custody
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
When I have to purchase my NV/thermal, you bet I am go to baby the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I just put the daylight cap and a demise shield on one of them and throw it down the driveway. That might get the initial shit outta the way and then I can just be over it. Lol it's always the first scratch that gets you past that point.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I just put the daylight cap and a demise shield on one of them and throw it down the driveway. That might get the initial shit outta the way and then I can just be over it. Lol it's always the first scratch that gets you past that point.
View Quote
Indeed. One of my tubes once started to behave a bit odd and that was the point I said **** it, I don't care about bright lights anymore. It never broke down though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope, while I do not intentionally beat on my stuff, they certainly have passed the drop test on numerous occasions, including a PVS14 surviving a 15 foot drop onto a rock from my predator tree stand. At first I was like which turned to but once I got my hands on it I was like
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a tool.  I take care of the parts that matter.  The glass always gets protected.  I couldn't give two shits about scratches on the housing.  I take very good care of the o-ring.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
My training gear gets beat to crap in the worst possible way and hardly ever cleaned (my on going torture test), but my go to gear is babied.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm similar but don't care about the housing as much as the lens...but both are taken care of.

The weapons?  Not so much
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading all of these replies,  it makes want to get out more and use my stuff. I probably have accumulated a total of 20 hours or less on each of my systems and I've had them all now for about 2.5 years. In my defense a lot has happened in that time though. Bought my dream home and property,  got married, finished out my MIL contract and now I can finally get to enjoying life again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top