Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2018 4:51:18 PM EDT
I'm looking for a IR Light/laser for my pistol. Main functions will be night shooting, maybe some hunting and maybe CW. Below is my set up right now. I plan on using the RDS. Should I get just a light or a light and laser. I do have a Lasermax IR which I could use, but then I don't have any illumination. But if I use illumination, would I have splashback or anything from the can? Ugh.... What should I be looking for? Then again I could always shoot unsuppressed.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Show off

Nice set up very jealous
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire x400v irc
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^2nd^^^ just be sure to get the B model it has the 350 lumen white light as well as IR light/laser
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^2nd^^^ just be sure to get the B model it has the 350 lumen white light as well as IR light/laser
View Quote
The above posters are correct.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Love the X400V-B-IRC. Get you some if you can swing the cash.

DSC_0162 by J M, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Show off

Nice set up very jealous
View Quote
Ha! Thanks. Did you enjoy my raw slide with the nonslip shower gripper stuff? Super tier 1. And the optic mount is that Strike Industries GUM.

I don't have that many rounds shot on this setup, but I'm digging it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Shit. Those aren't cheap..... What would your second choice be?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Streamlight TLR2 IR is IR laser/IR light @ 225-350 TLR2 IRW IR laser/white light same price.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Steiner makes several versions for pistols
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
LASTAC2 0.1 mW IR precise IR targeting laser

Crimson Trace IR

LASTAC2 0.1mW IR compared to DBAL I2 0.7mW @ 175 yards, no bloom

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#12]
For a pistol at 25 yards it works great.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Really? The LAS-TAC has been around for a zillion years. If they ain't fixed yet, they ain't gonna fix 'em.

EDIT: I was going to say, look at some reviews of the Steiner DBAL-PL. Seems like good capabilities, but the human interfaces are iffy. I don't have one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been using them on my Ruger 10-22s with great success too out 75 yards at night.

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Very happy with my CMR-201 IR lasers.  Have 4 of them I think.  Shine out to 250 yards easily.  I only use them for 50 yards and closer though.  Only problem with these is they're discontinued so if you get one and it breaks, you're SOL.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Surefire x400v irc
View Quote
I just got one and works great so far. Zeroing was much easier than I though. Seems to return to zero when removed/remounted by 2-3" on my Glock.

The ability to convert to 350 lm white light makes it very versatile. And I think it will work OK mounted to a long gun.

My only issue so far is finding a holster.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m honestly considering starting to make holsters for this very reason. I can’t find anyone that makes a holster with this light that fits my needs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’m honestly considering starting to make holsters for this very reason. I can’t find anyone that makes a holster with this light that fits my needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got one and works great so far. Zeroing was much easier than I though. Seems to return to zero when removed/remounted by 2-3" on my Glock.

The ability to convert to 350 lm white light makes it very versatile. And I think it will work OK mounted to a long gun.

Pm'd both of you on where I got my holster from.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I decided to buy a X300V from lapg. They had 20% off. Hopefully it comes in soon. I'll see how good I am with just illumination.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Why did you select a Sig P226?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I think if you have a rds then 300v is way to go and with little practice you can get pretty quick.

Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kinda holster?

I'm wearing a Safariland duty holster for a 17/19+X400v this exact second and I got a couple kydex holsters from various places at home. They're out there.... they certainly weren't when I first got the light though
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Are those night sights on your Glock? How do you like using an RDS with night sights cowitnessing with NODs?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#25]
They are not night sights, just black front and rear suppressor sights. I never saw the need to have night sights with an rds as the primary aiming point.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Night Vision Pistol Shooting

X300U and T-1 Micro on  my G17
View Quote
It's your gun, but that sure looks like a Trijicon RMR from here, not a T-1 Micro.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Listen to Augee.

Huge benefit to that is having a gun that fits most standard holsters.

Very first time shooting a pistol under nods I was able to rock B/C steel at 75yds with a G19 that had an RMR07 and an X300V. It’s a great setup.

I find that out to 25yds I don’t need the illum. Beyond that I totally do to see through the glass of the optic.

Ek
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got a PEQ-14 for my Mark 23, and I swapped the factory incandescent light for an LED module. It is acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:33:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've got a PEQ-14 for my Mark 23, and I swapped the factory incandescent light for an LED module. It is acceptable.
View Quote
How did you mount it?

Planning on picking up a Mark 23 soon myself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:41:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How did you mount it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did you mount it?

I asked around a bunch as to what the best pic adapter was for the Mark 23 and it was pretty much unanimously in favor of the HKParts one. Went with that, and it fits nice and snugly with no wobble and locks up tight to the threaded hole on the trigger guard.

There's also the model of the PEQ-14 made specifically for the Mark 23 with the screw mount built-in. I'd love to have that as the laser is closer to the bore and you don't need an adapter... but people are asking like $2500-5000 for the old commercial models with only visible light and laser. I haven't even seen an IR model for sale in the last two years but I imagine it'd be even higher.

Meanwhile new old stock IR-capable picatinny PEQ-14s are going around $1000. Still expensive, but reasonable considering what they are and only a tad more than a DBAL-PL.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a Streamlight TLR-2 Eye safe on my FNP 45 tac and I like it a lot. It's a bit cheaper, but both the illuminator and laser are IR. I've no use for white light on that rig.
Data sheet
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Good discussion, and I wanted
to say, Great Photo!

Quoted:
Love the X400V-B-IRC. Get you some if you can swing the cash.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4178/34424745360_b26bd0b7a0_b.jpgDSC_0162 by J M, on Flickr
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Front sight is a HiViz encapsulated fiber optic sight
Rear is a standard steel glock
Both are standard height which I usually sight over the tops of anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Did you do the work to swap the LED module? Do you know what model or part # was used?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did you do the work to swap the LED module? Do you know what model or part # was used?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, the bulb is made to be easily user replaceable so it’s a piece of cake. Literally just popping the light off like you would do to change the batteries, open the lamp head and pull the bulb, drop the LED module in its place, and reassemble. Done in seconds without tools.

It’s the SIMX LED module from Lumens Factory. Works on all Insight LAM-xxxx lights and EOTech Mx lights.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To be perfectly honest, if you're already using the RDS, I would consider just going with a light, maybe the X300V if you want IR illum capacity.

Not sure what ranges/what specific type of shooting you're wanting to do with this setup, but while the X400-series surely is some nice kit, it's both larger and bulkier than the X300-series, more complex with more switchology, and your vertical offset between the bore and the laser is pretty large with the laser mounted under the light.

Aiming passively through the RDS already on the pistol, you can set it up for day/night consistency, you can use the same presentation, and the same activation--no "switchology" to learn, and no new offsets between the RDS and the laser. You'll also find holsters easier to find (at least while unsuppressed, if you're concerned about such a thing).

The X400-series can be a very useful addition to make an iron-sighted pistol an effective night-fighting tool, but with an RDS, IMHO, you're just adding cost and complexity to your overall setup--passive aiming with an RDS on a pistol is also much simpler than doing so with a long-gun, as you have much less to worry about in terms of cheek-welds an equipment "traffic jams," you simply have to train and practice your presentation, which you have to do to adjust to a pistol mounted RDS anyways. With your NVD over your dominant eye, it should be the exact same presentation during the day assuming your NVD is properly aligned--the red dot should just "appear" in your FOV.

~Augee
View Quote
110% this.

The only reason I would ever spring for a X400 on a RDS equipped pistol is just as a redundent system. The more I play with a RMR09 in passive aiming even on a rifle in a high mount, the more I like it. On a pistol it is a no brainer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top