Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2018 12:56:48 PM EDT
Looking for a handheld IR laser pointer to put on my knee board. Under ANVIS 6 we sometimes need target/hlz designation for SA. We have aircrew laser pointers that wrap around a finger and the back of our hands, but they’re uncomfortable and bulky.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a handheld laser pointer I can use in IR config only that would fit my needs?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
IZLID if you have the means (ability) to source one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IZLID if you have the means (ability) to source one.
View Quote
You mean a light sabre?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is this for a military application where you can get access to purpose-designed restricted equipment through your supply chain? Or are you looking for an "off the shelf" civilian/commercial unit?

Lots of purpose built, high power pointer options, e.g., from B. E. Meyers if you're looking for military/LE units.

~Augee
View Quote
Looking for something to purchase myself. We have the issued aircrew laser pointers, but just isn’t as practical as I would like.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as IR laser pointers go, try picking up a cheap Chinese $5 green laser pointer. Remove the lens and then use a small screwdriver to pop off the vanadate/KTP crystal assembly (small C shaped brass piece held in place with a dab of epoxy). Replace the lens and you've got a ~100mW IR (808nm) pointer. Be careful with the finished product!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As far as IR laser pointers go, try picking up a cheap Chinese $5 green laser pointer. Remove the lens and then use a small screwdriver to pop off the vanadate/KTP crystal assembly (small C shaped brass piece held in place with a dab of epoxy). Replace the lens and you've got a ~100mW IR (808nm) pointer. Be careful with the finished product!
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you don't need anything this powerful i have one of these. It's pretty bright. I think its really above 5mv.
Ebay IR Laser
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote
Literally any green laser pointer on eBay would work. Last batch I picked up were from here. All the "5mW" green laser pointers from China tend to put out way more than 5mW and even if the output was exactly 5mW, the IR pump laser inside would still have to be way more than 5mW. Picked the least bright pointer with the greatest instability in the green output in the batch that came in. IR output is rock steady and ~120mW.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:51:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
please do not do this, op, if you do not know what you are doing, and even then, don't do this.

there are a lot of safety concerns that occur with the green laser pointers, and even a partial reflection of 100+ mw of ir will burn your retina, or a nvd......possibly permanently.

also, consider this. if the bloom of a .7mw ir laser, as shown in the pics skypup put up in https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/IR-Light-Laser-for-pistol/18-489274/ is bad, think what 100+ mw would do

if you legit want to use something else other than what sounds like unit supplied devices, give some use conditions and range it will be used at, and if you absolutely need it to be invisible, and maybe some others will provide other suggestions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top