Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 3:24:19 PM EDT
If I couldn't decide between the breach and the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233, how hard would it be to use the thermosight as a monocular.

I'm not saying I'd try to wear it on a helmet or whatever, but just to scout around, take pictures or video etc when not mounted to a gun.

Are people doing this?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I do it all the time. About 80% of my use is as a scanner/monocular.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
it records video the same as the breach right?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I debated the same thing. Ended up with the Breach.

For the most part I'm happy with that decision. I wanted the compactness of the Breach, thought it would make it more likely that I would get more use out of it, and it probably is.

That said there are times I sure wish I could attach it to a rifle. And I've never seen a PTS233 in person, maybe the extra size and weight wouldn't affect my use much. I figured the Breach I was more likely to toss in my pack when out for a hike or something.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I ordered the breach because I already have several thermal scopes and wanted the smallest size and weight. That said the PTs-233 would make a very nice viewer for hunting/scanning around it has a better 19mm lens for that type of work plus you can use it as a scope also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Tie a bino strap to a piece of picatinny rail and slap on the pts223.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn’t have been great if FLIR followed through with the Q14B like they sold it at SS 2017
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn’t have been great if FLIR followed through with the Q14B like they sold it at SS 2017
View Quote
Yep.  I sold off my thermal of the time to get the updated Q14 with a Boson core.  Then the price raised, then it lost the reticle.  Such a shame they can hype the hell out of a product and deliver basically nothing they promised.  Oh well. Time to get the Pulsar Core instead.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm liking my Breach, but yeah, I would love it if I could mount it on a rifle, even a .22LR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I couldn't decide between the breach and the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233, how hard would it be to use the thermosight as a monocular.

I'm not saying I'd try to wear it on a helmet or whatever, but just to scout around, take pictures or video etc when not mounted to a gun.

Are people doing this?
View Quote
OK just so I'm clear? Are you asking to use this as a handheld device and you were not wanting to put it on a helmet? If so the answer is yes. I do this all the time with mine.

I wear it around my neck using this QD sling mount.

Attachment Attached File

I do have a flir breach coming soon. I hope I won't be wearing this around my neck as often. But until then it works great for this purpose
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wouldn't have been great if FLIR followed through with the Q14B like they sold it at SS 2017
View Quote
Yup. This pissed me off greatly when flir decided to pull the plug on the Q14, because I knew they were going to stick me for twice the purchase instead of just one purchase.

Bastages.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You can still probably buy an original 640 q14 with reticles.  I think there is one in the EE.  Is the Boson core that much better?  Probably not.  The q14 never sold that well originally.  It’d be nice to have your tiny scanner at 1x have reticles and a weapons mount, but honestly it would kinda suck for anything other than rabbit hunting.  Right?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep.  I sold off my thermal of the time to get the updated Q14 with a Boson core.  Then the price raised, then it lost the reticle.  Such a shame they can hype the hell out of a product and deliver basically nothing they promised.  Oh well. Time to get the Pulsar Core instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup, sold my Q14 640 for the Q14B after being told how amazing it was going to be for MOs then we go the Breach.

Quoted:
Yup. This pissed me off greatly when flir decided to pull the plug on the Q14, because I knew they were going to stick me for twice the purchase instead of just one purchase.

Bastages.  
I’m holding off to see where the boson 640 goes but I definitely wish I’d held on to my Q14. was perfect for what I wanted it for with the exception of the warm up to stabilize it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep. I would use it handheld not on a helmet. I presume mounting it to a gun using the bracket it comes with returns it to zero if you had it off to scout around?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
So far mine has. Haven't really checked approximate POI shift on paper. It's been good enough to kill hogs, so that's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
You spend $2k+ on thermal and you trust a cheap $10 QD mount

Quoted:
OK just so I'm clear? Are you asking to use this as a handheld device and you were not wanting to put it on a helmet? If so the answer is yes. I do this all the time with mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199527/C6AC6A10-6BCF-442E-8A49-55BADF1D723B-541397.JPG

I do have a flir breach coming soon. I hope I won't be wearing this around my neck as often. But until then it works great for this purpose
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are people doing this?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199527/C6AC6A10-6BCF-442E-8A49-55BADF1D723B-541397.JPG

Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Genuinely curious: How much should a mount for wearing it around your neck cost? (not needing to hold up to .308 recoil)...
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish UNV would think about  a new compact DLOC mount for the new FLIR line. The current mount is solid however it seems much more bulky then is needed. I find the DLOC mount on the Reap-IR very easy to attach and detach while out in the field plus has held 100% POI for two years now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You spend $2k+ on thermal and you trust a cheap $10 QD mount
View Quote
I may have paid 14 or 15 for the mount... So yes.

Have you got a more substantial recommendation for me?

thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Friend of mine just got a PTS233 with the dlock and it is much smaller and easier to hold in your hand as a handheld.

I'm probably not likely to change mine out now, but I would consider it if I could do the purchase all over again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Wrong thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Friend of mine just got a PTS233 with the dlock and it is much smaller and easier to hold in your hand as a handheld.

I'm probably not likely to change mine out now, but I would consider it if I could do the purchase all over again.
View Quote
Hell, I’m too late to the party they already did it :

That may cost me another $2100 down the road  for a PTS233 with DLOC now. If I didn’t already have the IR Patrol and Helion XP28 I would buy the PTS233/DLOC setup the 19mm 1.5X lens makes a much better viewer for hunting. That said I ordered the breach for the tiny size as I have two nice full size viewers,
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wish UNV would think about  a new compact DLOC mount for the new FLIR line. The current mount is solid however it seems much more bulky then is needed. I find the DLOC mount on the Reap-IR very easy to attach and detach while out in the field plus has held 100% POI for two years now.
View Quote
Like dis? https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/FLIR-PTS-QD-Mount-p/dloc-pts.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Another dumb question--If I wanted to temporarily remove the (ADM) mount that comes with this, for ease of carry, would this make it much harder to zero in on a rifle later? Does this come out of the box zeroed in on the mount?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top