Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2017 12:36:22 PM EDT
Back around Christmas my wife did a nice thing and bought me those new Quantum Duracell batteries and I promptly put one in my PVS14, well as luck would have it when I picked up my airframe and walked out the door to check the bump in the night the PVS14 was dead. Ok so I used the surefire on the M4 and it was just a friendly opossum, not a rabies carrying raccoon. when I got back inside I went to switch the battery out when it came out in my hand it was wet. oh crap. put in a fresh one and it was dead. well I notified duracell and sent it in for repair. as my luck would have it the parts were on a long back order so I had it returned to me and I sent it to Duracell, this was back in April. Today I got an email from them saying they would be sending me payment to replace it. Yeah, it's been a long almost 8 months.

now since I decided to go with a white phosphorus unit I understand the wait for them is currently 2 to 4 months, so folks don't be like Mike, take the damn battery out of your devices 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes Sir, we say it all the time to take the batteries out when not in for prolonged periods or for sure in warm environments. Also using Lithiums helps a big bunch.  Such cheap insurance to avoid a $3000+ loss. Thanks for sharing the story.

P.S. So Duracell actually gave you replacement cost of your 14?

Vic
View Quote
Yes sir I just recieved an email saying Chase Bank will be contacting me for my routing number to make the transfer. Then it's just going to be the wait till you have more of the White phosphorus  units in stock I can hardly wait much longer.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes Sir, we say it all the time to take the batteries out when not in for prolonged periods or for sure in warm environments. Also using Lithiums helps a big bunch.  Such cheap insurance to avoid a $3000+ loss. Thanks for sharing the story.

P.S. So Duracell actually gave you replacement cost of your 14?

Vic
View Quote
If so, I'm impressed...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WOW! How high UP in the Duracell food chain did you have to go to get them to reimburse you?  Attorney's involved?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes sir I just recieved an email saying Chase Bank will be contacting me for my routing number to make the transfer. Then it's just going to be the wait till you have more of the White phosphorus  units in stock I can hardly wait much longer.  
WOW! How high UP in the Duracell food chain did you have to go to get them to reimburse you?  Attorney's involved?
I just called them when I found the leaking battery, they emailed me a form to fill out sent it back with pictures. it took months for them to check it out, but in the end they honored their warranty. still it's been a long time. 

BTW exactly how long is the wait on the white pvs14s in multi cam? 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Damm I'm impressed by Duracell!

So you just sent them pictures and not the unit?  
If so can you get your original one rebuilt?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
How bad did it leak, because a replacement battery housing is nowhere near the cost of a new device. That should actually be a fairly quick/easy repair providing the acid didnt leak and melt the tube or something - which I've never seen happen.

Can you share some of the pictures?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad they paid out! I hope you enjoy your WP. Bastard!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back around Christmas my wife did a nice thing and bought me those new Quantum Duracell batteries and I promptly put one in my PVS14, well as luck would have it when I picked up my airframe and walked out the door to check the bump in the night the PVS14 was dead. Ok so I used the surefire on the M4 and it was just a friendly opossum, not a rabies carrying raccoon. when I got back inside I went to switch the battery out when it came out in my hand it was wet. oh crap. put in a fresh one and it was dead. well I notified duracell and sent it in for repair. as my luck would have it the parts were on a long back order so I had it returned to me and I sent it to Duracell, this was back in April. Today I got an email from them saying they would be sending me payment to replace it. Yeah, it's been a long almost 8 months.

now since I decided to go with a white phosphorus unit I understand the wait for them is currently 2 to 4 months, so folks don't be like Mike, take the damn battery out of your devices 
View Quote
story doesn't make sense. You sent it in (to whom?), parts were on back order, you got it back, then you sent it to Duracell. Can you explain?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow...I can't believe they replaced the PVS 14 cost.  That's crazy.  I could not even get fucking Kia to replace my shit Microsoft UVO  radio in my 3 year old vehicle with 38,000 miles on it that died for no reason.

You the man....I would never have even thought to attempt that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
My experience with Duracell is that they are as prone to leaks as Comey. Glad they covered your damage costs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sucks, but way to work it out.

Gz!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
story doesn't make sense. You sent it in (to whom?), parts were on back order, you got it back, then you sent it to Duracell. Can you explain?
View Quote
He sent it in for repair (he did not say to whom, but I assume a PVS14 Repairman of some sort). The parts were on eternal backorder, so he got annoyed and requested the PVS14 Repairman send it back to him.

When he received the (still damaged) PVS14 he contacted Duracell to see what they would do about their battery leaking and damaging his PVS14. They requested, and he complied, sending it in to Duracell for evaluation.

Duracell evaluated and cut him a check.

The OP is pretty straightforward. Perhaps you are seeking more of an explanation as to how instead of simply what happened?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He sent it in for repair (he did not say to whom, but I assume a PVS14 Repairman of some sort). The parts were on eternal backorder, so he got annoyed and requested the PVS14 Repairman send it back to him.

When he received the (still damaged) PVS14 he contacted Duracell to see what they would do about their battery leaking and damaging his PVS14. They requested, and he complied, sending it in to Duracell for evaluation.

Duracell evaluated and cut him a check.

The OP is pretty straightforward. Perhaps you are seeking more of an explanation as to how instead of simply what happened?
View Quote
I contacted duracell as soon as I saw the damage. they gave me the choice of having it repaired or sending it to them and they would test it and repair/replace or deny the claim after 8 to 12 weeks so I sent it off to be repaired. I sent it overnight to the trusted vendor that has a great service, but for some reason it took a tour of UPS locations including there hub for almost 2 weeks before showing up at the vendor. I knew there was a 2 week lead time before it could be looked at. when I got the repair costs I sent it to Duracell where it went un reviewed for several weeks. I contacted the vendor who did not have the parts in yet and had them send it back to me. 
I then contacted Duracell again and sent the item to them. in their paper work it says items sent in maybe destroyed and or not returned to you but please allow 8 to 12 weeks for repair replacement. three weeks ago I called to check on the status and was told a letter had been sent, week one no letter, I called got the same answer, week 2 same thing, week 3 again no letter. after several phone calls I received an email say they while they do no accept responsibility I will be receiving a check or bank draft for the full price I paid for the unit. 

I don't think they will return my damaged pvs14 as they can either sell the parts or destroy it but since they paid for it they own it.

normally I have lithium batteries in flashlights or in the PVS14 but since the new duracells were supposed to be the better I left them in even though it was only for 2 weeks. I use cases of duracells in my part time roll as a sound man at a church and I dump them after every use after having another tech loose 3 mics in one service because he tried to "save th church money" and when I picked up the spares they were destroyed by month old batteries. They were the Professional series which are not really meant to be left in a device not the quantum duracell I had used in my PVS 14, which after that one failed I threw out all the others in the big master pack as not to destroy anything else with them.

the lesson here is not to leave batteries in anything expensive or hard to replace. it happened to me and it can happen to you

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]
In addition, the lesson is to never use anything but lithiums.

The only thing I use the other ones for is remotes and cheap toys my three year old plays with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I would still be curious to see pictures. A battery housing replacement is a fairly simple process. I am not doubting your story, but I'm also a little shocked to hear a vendor turned down parts/labor on a repair job.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:14:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I prohibit the presence of Duracells in my house. If you have to clean up after leaking alkaline batteries, use acid to neutralize, like lime-away.  Rinse real good. I've had to clean up several aircraft Emergency Locator Transmitters that specify Duracells by part number. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#21]
It somehow sounds like they had mishandled the case internally and you got lucky. Or maybe I am interpreting this wrong. But anyhow, doesn't sound like relying on Duracells due to their warranty is not a good idea. Never had a Lithium leak, or explode Except a larger lithium-ion that was mishandled (struck the ground at 150km/h) a bit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread caused me to check my main TNVC PVS-14 (I have 2).  I swap the batteries out fairly regularly, but leave them in as I use it several times each month checking things out.  After reading the thread went to check / swap.  

A Rayovac was leaking.  I pulled it out and immediately cleaned the inside out with many q-tips.  Then proceeded to dip the q-tips in alcohol and rewipe out the battery compartment.

Everything cleaned up nicely so I let it sit since Sunday night with the cover off to make sure the alcohol dried.  Just checked with new battery - DEAD.  

How much is the battery housing to replace typically (TNVC shows $289 on their website)?  It doesn't make any noise at all when I turn the knob on.  Would this be the battery housing only or could the tube be dead?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Why the fuck would you put a fucking Rayovac battery in a multi-thousand-dollar device?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Believe it or not i have used them for years and never had a issue
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This thread caused me to check my main TNVC PVS-14 (I have 2).  I swap the batteries out fairly regularly, but leave them in as I use it several times each month checking things out.  After reading the thread went to check / swap.  

A Rayovac was leaking.  I pulled it out and immediately cleaned the inside out with many q-tips.  Then proceeded to dip the q-tips in alcohol and rewipe out the battery compartment.

Everything cleaned up nicely so I let it sit since Sunday night with the cover off to make sure the alcohol dried.  Just checked with new battery - DEAD.  

How much is the battery housing to replace typically (TNVC shows $289 on their website)?  It doesn't make any noise at all when I turn the knob on.  Would this be the battery housing only or could the tube be dead?
View Quote
Unless you have the equipment to test the tube you're not going to know until you change the housing I believe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Believe it or not i have used them for years and never had a issue
View Quote
I haven't either. With an assortment of cheap batteries. But I still know the drawback of cheap ones and the benefits of lithiums and I spend the extra couple of bucks on lithiums. Very cheap insurance.

Lesson learned. Hopefully you get off with just the housing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for the story on Duracell, just amazing they did this.  Wow.

As you know, we have the highest specs in the Industry with our MULTICAM housing Mil-Spec WPT Filmless and huge orders and demand. Right now they are at 3-4 weeks.
View Quote
Current WPT orders are only 3-4 weeks? Ordered a WPT unit with black housing from you guys on June 30th and was curious if I'm close? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Always take batteries out when finished

if you think they re old throw them away and get fresh

Unless you want to upgrade LOL
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I am finally getting closer, they sent the transfer to my bank today. No clue why it's supposed to take 1 to 3 days. 

on another note we use Duracell professional batteries for handheld microphones at church and I always use fresh batteries for every service, last weekend 3 9 volts that were only in use for 3 hours died halfway through the service. that was fun
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#31]
So how much for the parts kit op
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am finally getting closer, they sent the transfer to my bank today. No clue why it's supposed to take 1 to 3 days. 
View Quote
So it's been a week since last update.  I just want to be clear- OP, did Duracell send you a payment that covered 100% of your original cost of the PVS14?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So it's been a week since last update.  I just want to be clear- OP, did Duracell send you a payment that covered 100% of your original cost of the PVS14?
View Quote
yes they did, $3465.00.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yes they did, $3465.00.
View Quote
WOW, good for you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thank you for the L3 TNV-14 WPT order!
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top