Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
640 weapon sights aren't coming out until 2020. We're more likely to see a 640 Boson in a monocular before a weapon sight. I talked to some top tier dude at Flir and this is what was conveyed to me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
640 weapon sights aren't coming out until 2020. We're more likely to see a 640 Boson in a monocular before a weapon sight. I talked to some top tier dude at Flir and this is what was conveyed to me.
View Quote
So they show up big talking future products but sit in apathy for real problems now?

I wouldn't touch FL?IR with that CS.  Pulsar runs circles around them, and I'm a Triji guy
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Although I haven't run into issues personally with Flir (and I have had to send my PTS233 back to get fixed), the overwhelming consensus that their customer service is shit is pretty damning. I was on the fence about a mkii and wanted to find out when Flir's 640 Boson weapon sights were coming out and that's the info I got. Notoriety trending up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So they show up big talking future products but sit in apathy for real problems now?

I wouldn't touch FL?IR with that CS.  Pulsar runs circles around them, and I'm a Triji guy
View Quote
Email sent
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry, been out of town a bit. PM if needed I will of course make the call if the sales emails did not get to me on this.

Also to note, the FLIR San Fran office is closing up and everything getting moved up north so I know there has been some delays with CS comms. Either way, our bat phone is still up.
View Quote
I emailed Jamie and CC Teddy as they are the people I've been in contact with. I'll pm you in the morning as and your advice directly. Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I knew I should have got a pulsar for a little bit more money.
View Quote
I went with the pulsar trail after hearing and reading about the FLIR issues.
The same issues ATN had with their X sight firmware.
Everyone else must've been thinking the same as me, as pulsar scopes have a longer than usual wait time.
Thanks FLIR !
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's to hoping that TNVC's solution is sending this guy a new PTS233, and dumping the shitty one back on Flir.  I know that's what my dealer would do.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sheeze!

So they're just going to skip 2019 altogether?

I'm wondering if this is a marketing ploy? Or is this related to Boson developmental problems?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sheeze!

I'm wondering if this is a marketing ploy? Or is this related to Boson developmental problems?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheeze!

Strategic marketing is what I got it of it. To be fair, the dude I talked to wanted to just come out with the 640s right out the gate and totally skip the 320s. But bc they did come out with the 320s, they want their product to sell. Even the way they rolled out the 320 weapon sights seemed like strategic marketing. So it's probably not wise to push a 640 Boson weapon sight just a few months after releasing their trio of 320s. Sucks for us consumers, but I guess that's business.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Strategic marketing is what I got it of it. To be fair, the dude I talked to wanted to just come out with the 640s right out the gate and totally skip the 320s. But bc they did come out with the 320s, they want their product to sell. Even the way they rolled out the 320 weapon sights seemed like strategic marketing. So it's probably not wise to push a 640 Boson weapon sight just a few months after releasing their trio of 320s. Sucks for us consumers, but I guess that's business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheeze!

Sort of what I expected, so I went ahead and got a NOS Zeus 640.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not published because of ITAR. Customers that are interested in the update need to call Karl Cox in CS - (650) 265-4279.

More Breaches back in stock 2-3 weeks. More 536's just shipped to us today as well.
View Quote
Flir tech support just told me no breach update available.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
What version are you currently on?  (It's under the main menu)
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Huh? I assume it’s when you purchased....but email got me my update in three days via drop-box.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
They better not try that crap on me, I know I need the update, my picture preview does not work.

I have SW2305, 2.0.14233

There is a newer SW2360, 2.0.148574 (this is what I want) I am going to call tomorrow.  If I can get it I can forward to whoever needs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They better not try that crap on me, I know I need the update, my picture preview does not work.

I have SW2305, 2.0.14233

There is a newer SW2360, 2.0.148574 (this is what I want) I am going to call tomorrow.  If I can get it I can forward to whoever needs.
View Quote
Just shoot an email to Denise . Lopez @ flir . com (delete the spaces)  She'll need your serial and you have to make a couple of promises (attest that you're a United States Citizen, won't export the software, won't share it with others requesting, yada, yada, yada....)

I had mine within a couple hours going that route, nary a single phone call.

Heck, I've never called FLIR once, everything I've needed has been quick and painless via email...

(ETA: The updates  SW2360, 2.0.148574 that yall are referencing are what I listed as my versions a page ago.  That was from back in mid-to-late July.  There may well be another, later update available now.  I haven't asked as everything works like a charm on my Breach, I have no need to update...)
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just shoot an email to Denise . Lopez @ flir . com (delete the spaces)  She'll need your serial and you have to make a couple of promises (attest that you're a United States Citizen, won't export the software, won't share it with others requesting, yada, yada, yada....)

Heck, I've never called FLIR once, everything I've needed has been quick and painless via email...

(ETA: The updates  SW2360, 2.0.148574 that yall are referencing are what I listed as my versions a page ago.  That was from back in mid-to-late July.  There may well be another, later update available now.  I haven't asked as everything works like a charm on my Breach, I have no need to update...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have SW2305, 2.0.14233

Just sent an email and put several flir contact including Dan, Karl & Denise.  I had some in an old email from when the swapped out my first breach.

Edit: Got an auto reply, Denise no longer works for them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What version are you currently on?  (It's under the main menu)
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just sent an email and put several flir contact including Dan, Karl & Denise.  I had some in an old email from when the swapped out my first breach.

Edit: Got an auto reply, Denise no longer works for them.
View Quote
Damn, that sucks.  She was on the ball....
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Just saw a notice in another thread about some FLIR email addresses no longer being valid after the San Fran office closure.

It recommended trying [email protected]  - might be worth a try!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just saw a notice in another thread about some FLIR email addresses no longer being valid after the San Fran office closure.

It recommended trying [email protected]  - might be worth a try!
View Quote
Thank you, just forwarded an email to him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Dudes probably getting loaded up with all of us now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank you, just forwarded an email to him.
View Quote
Has anyone had any luck with a response from FLIR?  My breach is hosed right now.  Not completely useless, but performing about like a 160x120 unit.  It has one of the updates, but absolutely will not load the other.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#25]
No replys from anyone on my email.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#27]
@TNVC

I want to extend a big thank you to everyone at TNVC who has helped me with my pts233 issues. I received the new unit yesterday and couldn't be happier with the customer support you provided.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#28]
First night out with a new FIR Breach and PTS223 = Happy Camper!

Link Posted: 9/30/2018 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m glad I read the last two pages of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@TNVC

I want to extend a big thank you to everyone at TNVC who has helped me with my pts233 issues. I received the new unit yesterday and couldn't be happier with the customer support you provided.
View Quote
That’s awesome brother!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sheeze!

View Quote
(Up front disclaimer: everything I write below is out of compassion for a company like FLIR, not bashing it.)

We've kinda been through all this before, it's a combination of many factors. One set of factors is that FLIR is primarily a government supplier and the Federal Acquisition Rules is a book that is literally 3 inches thick. Wonder why the Armasight website and product line in still completely in tact? Guarantee you it's because they have long running contracts with the government and the government is not allowed to purchase product that is known end-of-life. If nothing else, hundreds of millions of dollars in option years could be cancelled.

As for Boson 640, blah, blah, there's no technical hurdle preventing them from coming out with whatever 640 based consumer products they want. But depressing their own price market will affect the above. Government is equally always on the hunt for making sure they get the lowest price. The contract officers who make those decisions would't know a thermal weapon sight from Hello Kitty.

Again, it's been said a dozen times in this thread. Frankly here we are a couple years later and what we predicted has come to pass, in fact more so. 2020 now? I'll bet money that 2020 is the same timeframe a major set of contract recompetes or a timeline that better fits their accounting.

I popped back into this thread because I was just thinking about how thermal technology seems to have stalled (including Pulsar and Trijicon) and wanted to know if FLIR has had any breakthroughs. Unfortunately with such purchases it is critical to assess how important the consumer division is to the overall company. Maybe I've answered my own question.

Here's their latest analyst presentation:

http://investors.flir.com/static-files/3ae114e0-c860-41f4-af35-90658fbffdd8

OTS is not even a blip on their radar. Also, looking at their income statements, they are clearly having to deal with losses related to the discontinuous of operations from Armasight and their old product lines. In the GAAP accounting world you don't just blow all that stuff out the door and call it a wash. If you have a major shift in the value of your inventory the Street holds you accountable for that. (If your inventory is a major asset it affects the valuation of your company).

Here's another little "oopsie": a $15M fine from the Department of State for violating export rules. No idea if FLIR was guilty or if DoS just needed some extra cash (and don't think for a second that doesn't happen), but the point is that companies like FLIR are bound by a million things far more critical than their consumer line of products:

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2018/04/281211.htm

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#33]
You did answer your own question, Armasight acquisition was small potatoes acquisition ~ $41 million.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Lol skypup thanks for your contribution to the thread.  A hog you shot.  Wow.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I lol-ed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:36:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 3:12:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
The fact that he doesn't have anything positive to say about future Flir CS speaks volumes. These products simply have higher failure rates than daytime optics.  Choosing a company with an excellent CS reputation is as important as the features of the scopes themselves.  That being said, who you buy from is important as well.  TNVC has done a good job from what I can see of running interference for its customers.  Props for that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I do know the move outta SanFran has caused some delays as they just closed the facility and getting re-org'd. I can inquire either way Monday to see where its all at.
View Quote
Any luck Vic?  I can't get a response from anyone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Soooooo...

What’s the consensus on the best available helmet mount configuration for the Breach as of 4OCT18?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Soooooo...

What’s the consensus on the best available helmet mount configuration for the Breach as of 4OCT18?
View Quote
Dual or single?

If dual, the Wilcox G24 and RQE Bridge/Dovetail mounts are pretty hard to beat.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Both.

I’ve been looking at the RQE, and if it’s the proper choice, I might have to suck it up and do it.

Quoted:

Dual or single?

If dual, the Wilcox G24 and RQE Bridge/Dovetail mounts are pretty hard to beat.  Love mine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words Rem.  Appreciated as always, we try to do our best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that he doesn't have anything positive to say about future Flir CS speaks volumes. These products simply have higher failure rates than daytime optics.  Choosing a company with an excellent CS reputation is as important as the features of the scopes themselves.  That being said, who you buy from is important as well.  TNVC has done a good job from what I can see of running interference for its customers.  Props for that.
Thanks for the kind words Rem.  Appreciated as always, we try to do our best.
For these prices it'd be nice for the actual manufacturer to care as much as the liaising vendor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Even with current firmware 2360 the breach compass is near impossible to calibrate.  And when calibrated it is completely worthless as a compass.  Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Even with current firmware 2360 the breach compass is near impossible to calibrate.  And when calibrated it is completely worthless as a compass.  Anyone else have this issue?
View Quote
Yes. I can't get mine to calibrate. Luckily I don't require a compass in my display.

I would probably enjoy it more if it worked like the dash display compass in your truck which just comes on automatically.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have older firmware and mine works great.  When you calibrate make sure to rotate it on all 3 axis points....I do 2 full rotations, then switch to next axis point and do 2, then 3rd and do 2 and that usually does it.  Once done mine is very accurate.

If only the picture preview worked I would be good to go.  I can't get a response from Flir...I have been emailing once a week for several weeks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Both.

I've been looking at the RQE, and if it's the proper choice, I might have to suck it up and do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Both.

I've been looking at the RQE, and if it's the proper choice, I might have to suck it up and do it.

Quoted:

Dual or single?

I'm happy so far with my G22 + Wilcox AN/PVS14 bridge + RQE dovetail adapter. It makes scanning with the Breach super easy

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Breach is a great scanner.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top