Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Got my Breach yesterday. I had asked a bunch of times here about comparisons to a ThermApp device, since that's the only thermal I have and have experience with. I'm still testing and need to play with the settings some, but thus far I'd say they each have their ups and downs.

First impressions....

Pros:

- Love the size and weight of the Breach. Feels like a very solid device.

- The refresh rate is fantastic. I'm used to the 8.7Hz of the ThermApp. By comparison with the Breach it feels like I'm looking through an actual day monocular, but in thermal. I feel like there's next to no perceptible lag.

- Detail up close, especially indoors, seems better with the Breach than the ThermApp.

Cons:

- I haven't been through all the instruction manual yet, but I'm not sure how to preview a saved image on the device. I saw someone else on here had trouble with this as well.

- As others have noted, the battery indicator is there sometimes, and sometimes not.

- Speaking of batteries, it sure goes through them fast.

- Interesting how well the picture stays rightside in the view finder no matter how it's rotated; but I wish saved images would save right-side up when the device is inverted. Using as a handheld, I've been using it with the buttons up and it seems to save images inverted.

- Biggest con of all that I hope can be resolved with the settings or firmware updates; it seems like the scene gets completely bleached out too easily. The ThermApp device seems to do a fair amount better in this area. The treelines with the Breach come out completely white to the point that I'm finding it hard to spot critters if they are in front of them. I'll post comparison pics at some point, but I will say it's a little disappointing when my $1000 ThermApp device may actually be more useful as a scanner for hunting than my new $2500 Breach. We'll see though, maybe I'm speaking too soon.

- Wish it would save the pictures at a higher resolution. Pics saved with the ThermApp without a doubt look better than pics saved with the Breach.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but I will say it's a little disappointing when my $1000 ThermApp device may actually be more useful as a scanner for hunting than my new $2500 Breach. We'll see though, maybe I'm speaking too soon.
View Quote
That is my concern with buying the Breach.  I literally only want it for scanning when I am varmint or hog hunting at night.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is my concern with buying the Breach.  I literally only want it for scanning when I am varmint or hog hunting at night.  
View Quote
I'm still on the fence about it, but I also still need to learn about more the settings. My ThermApp just isn't very practical for an outdoor situation I don't think, so the Breach or other scanners will always have a big leg up there no matter what. Here are some comparison pics I took last night. Unfortunately as has been said so many times before, the Breach does look a lot better on the screen, and so does the ThermApp.

1. Deer at about 175 yards:

Breach:

ThermApp:

2. Tall pines in the distance are about 90 yards away. The building to the left is about 130 yards.

Breach:

ThermApp:

3. Similar scene, slightly closer and off to the right more, lowered the angle enough to get most of the sky out of the pic.

Breach:

ThermApp:

4. Vehicles, probably 20-25 yards max.

Breach:

ThermApp:

5: Deer in farther back in the woods, at least 200 yards. Only got a Breach pic on this one as it was later in the night when I had put the ThermApp away.

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm still on the fence about it, but I also still need to learn about more the settings. My ThermApp just isn't very practical for an outdoor situation I don't think, so the Breach or other scanners will always have a big leg up there no matter what. Here are some comparison pics I took last night. Unfortunately as has been said so many times before, the Breach does look a lot better on the screen, and so does the ThermApp.

1. Deer at about 175 yards:

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/XSfseYh.jpg

ThermApp:
https://i.imgur.com/NgrhqSx.jpg

2. Tall pines in the distance are about 90 yards away. The building to the left is about 130 yards.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/RP9CGco.jpg

ThermApp:
https://i.imgur.com/b50ZxBu.jpg

3. Similar scene, slightly closer and off to the right more, lowered the angle enough to get most of the sky out of the pic.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/H9uJSGR.jpg

ThermApp:
https://i.imgur.com/uWB542h.jpg

4. Vehicles, probably 20-25 yards max.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/Mv6SXUK.jpg

ThermApp:
https://i.imgur.com/J0X35Gh.jpg

5: Deer in farther back in the woods, at least 200 yards. Only got a Breach pic on this one as it was later in the night when I had put the ThermApp away.

https://i.imgur.com/c9amOn3.jpg
View Quote
That's telling.  Breach PTQ136 looks like garbage compared to old tech that costs 60% less.  Is it just the saved images, or does the ThermApp live image beat the Breach as well?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's telling.  Breach PTQ136 looks like garbage compared to old tech that costs 60% less.  Is it just the saved images, or does the ThermApp live image beat the Breach as well?
View Quote
I know there are plenty of thermal devices that save images shitty compared to what you actually see on the screen, I think the breach is one of them.  My IRHunter video looks like shit compared to what you see on the screen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What size lens does the thermapp have?  My breach does almost as well as my Thor with a 25mm lens.

I don't think the breach pics look like trash in the comparison....he did say breach images don't save as nice as the thermapp.

Someone in another thread posted in certain environments high contrast 150-200 and low gain less the 100 works well...I agree.  Once you get to know the enhancement settings you can get a better picture then any of the defaults.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
To be fair, the ThermApp has a 19mm lens vs the 9mm on the Breach, so it's not entirely apples to apples. However I'm looking at it purely from a perspective of what I paid vs what I'm getting and for my purpose.

Within a certain range I think the image on the Breach is certainly a little cleaner than the ThermApp; the problem I'm having so far is the contrast. As I've said, I need to play with the settings more (though I have tried some of the popular settings I see people say they like), but it seems like the ThermApp does a better job of not washing out an image, if that makes sense. I think the comparison of the first two pics of the deer at 175 yards is the best example that I posted. It just seems to me like the Breach tends to white-out the tree lines while the ThermApp seems a little better at producing a picture that will still be useful for spotting signatures among the trees. A lot of nights I can spot raccoons in the trees down there in the woods at that distance with the ThermApp. With how the Breach lights up the trees so much, I'm going to be interested to see how it compares. The ThermApp also has the advantage of a manual focus.

Here's an indoor example. Maybe someone has some suggestions. This is an image of a mounted duck and a mounted pheasant on a book shelf. The Breach image seems like it has less noise, but it also has a lot less contrast to discern what you're looking at. So far all setting adjustments I've tried haven't really changed this. The ThermApp on the other hand has a little more noise, but the shapes stand out much, much better.

Breach:

ThermApp:
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Off and on rain out there right now. Sort of the same characteristics I mentioned before, but in the high humidity overall the Breach is kind of killing it compared to the ThermApp in terms of clarity.

Deer at about 60 yards:

Breach:

ThermApp:

Deer at about 200 yards:

Breach:

ThermApp:
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome pics.  Thank you for posting!

Keep playing with settings!
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

To be fair, the ThermApp has a 19mm lens vs the 9mm on the Breach, so it's not entirely apples to apples. However I'm looking at it purely from a perspective of what I paid vs what I'm getting and for my purpose.

Within a certain range I think the image on the Breach is certainly a little cleaner than the ThermApp; the problem I'm having so far is the contrast. As I've said, I need to play with the settings more (though I have tried some of the popular settings I see people say they like), but it seems like the ThermApp does a better job of not washing out an image, if that makes sense. I think the comparison of the first two pics of the deer at 175 yards is the best example that I posted. It just seems to me like the Breach tends to white-out the tree lines while the ThermApp seems a little better at producing a picture that will still be useful for spotting signatures among the trees. A lot of nights I can spot raccoons in the trees down there in the woods at that distance with the ThermApp. With how the Breach lights up the trees so much, I'm going to be interested to see how it compares. The ThermApp also has the advantage of a manual focus.

Here's an indoor example. Maybe someone has some suggestions. This is an image of a mounted duck and a mounted pheasant on a book shelf. The Breach image seems like it has less noise, but it also has a lot less contrast to discern what you're looking at. So far all setting adjustments I've tried haven't really changed this. The ThermApp on the other hand has a little more noise, but the shapes stand out much, much better.

Breach:
https://i.imgur.com/4BGect7.jpg

ThermApp:
https://i.imgur.com/zjgtaps.jpg
View Quote
Could have a lot to do with the AGC ROI.  the Breach is set up so that about 90% of the image affects AGC in all Preset settings except Sea/Sky.  Sea/Sky reduces the ROI to the center 160x120 (just a guess).  If you attempt to remove the sky from the ROI, perhaps the treeline will have more contrast.  As a test, try turning the unit 90 degrees so that the array is effectively 256x320 and then eliminate the sky from the FOV.  The narrower FOV of the ThermApp's 19mm lens may not be seeing as much of the sky.  Just a WAG though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome pics.  Thank you for posting!

Keep playing with settings!
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Some more Breach pics from last night for those who may be interested. Saw a pair of coyotes. I was able to identify them by how they move and where they were. The first pic it's working on a dead deer that I know is right there.

Coyote at about 155 yards:

Coyotes at about 145 and 150 yards:

Coyotes at about 150 and 185 yards:
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the currently available PTS736 a 320 12um core with the 640 12um core just around the corner?  I’m about to order the PTS736 should I wait for 640?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
If you can pay for and wait for the 640 core then yes you should.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Could have a lot to do with the AGC ROI.  the Breach is set up so that about 90% of the image affects AGC in all Preset settings except Sea/Sky.  Sea/Sky reduces the ROI to the center 160x120 (just a guess).  If you attempt to remove the sky from the ROI, perhaps the treeline will have more contrast.  As a test, try turning the unit 90 degrees so that the array is effectively 256x320 and then eliminate the sky from the FOV.  The narrower FOV of the ThermApp's 19mm lens may not be seeing as much of the sky.  Just a WAG though.
View Quote
Where did you get that region of interest information?  Is the PTS 233 the same?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
In Flirs tau core information
Old stuff on how to setup the core and the computer interface and the lvds signal info. Basically how a core is setup to process the sensor data. The user could set it up when you purchase a bare core. Flir SDK package

Boson interface kit

You can write custom software with this kit.

Here is more boson info  User Manual
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, the Boson core in the PTS and Breach can be adjusted directly using the Boson App.  Only problem is, the system level software overwrites some of the factory Boson settings.  The ones that don't get overwritten by the system can be changed and then saved as power-on defaults.  I have a feeling AGC ROI is configured at the system level but I haven't tested that.

Be advised...blindly changing settings in the core without fully understanding what could happen may render your equipment inoperable.  If you don't understand what a setting does, don't F#@K with it!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Or don’t cry about it after you brick it
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually, the Boson core in the PTS and Breach can be adjusted directly using the Boson App.  Only problem is, the system level software overwrites some of the factory Boson settings.  The ones that don't get overwritten by the system can be changed and then saved as power-on defaults.  I have a feeling AGC ROI is configured at the system level but I haven't tested that.

Be advised...blindly changing settings in the core without fully understanding what could happen may render your equipment inoperable.  If you don't understand what a setting does, don't F#@K with it!!
View Quote
Are you talking about the Boson GUI for windows?

I know I hooked my PTS up to the GUI one time and played around with some of the settings but I didn't notice it actually made changes on the laptop monitor that I could see.

I wonder if that's why I think my settings and revert back to some arbitrary number every time I power my unit on?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Took down two more boars last night @ 125 yards with the FLIR PTS-223.

Piece of cake.

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's a coyote a few nights ago through a Breach. I'm thinking roughly 50 yards away at the beginning of the video and maybe 70 yards toward the end.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Handmade build from receiver up with Gemtech Trek 556 can shooting handloaded Hornady 68 grain pills.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Still loving the Breach, size and weight are just awesome.  If they would offer this in 640 with a 19mm lens with manual focus...and add a microphone (I know you can do it Flir)...it would be the perfect handheld imo.

Size comparison photos....pvs14 in the middle...Reap IR on the left.

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#25]
My Breach will be here this week according to it’s tracking. I was going to wait for the 640 Breach, but am too curious to see the new Boson core in action so broke down and ordered one.

I owned the past Q14 model  it had a nice adjustable lens up front so FLIR could add that to the 640 model if they choose too. That said I expect to see a fixed 19mm lens model show up.  I’m really curious to see how he new model performs compared to the past 320 core version I bought just before FLIR bought Armasight out.

I’m hoping for some 640 core Breach and PTS scopes find their way to market sometime this year also.. I’m pretty solid on thermal scopes and mono’s right now though have the MK3 60mm, Reap-IR and Pulsar XP50. Plus IR Patrol ,Helion Xp28 and soon to be Breach. Thers’s really not much I need or could use so I’m kind of am looking for that more specialized/unique type gear now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm kind of am looking for that more specialized/unique type gear now.
View Quote
I think then you will like the Breach....hard to beat for a helmet mounted thermal.  The weight and fov are awesome.  Even with fixed focus your feet are in full focus.  Min focus range it around 4ft or so.  I know larger lenses give range but you lose fov...for helmet mounted and large fov I am loving the breach.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Any news on the PTS536?

Tx
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any news on the PTS536?

Tx
View Quote
Interested as well...
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
happened to see this post-

to PA452

I use a Therm-App HZ so my experience is different because i have a smooth framerate, but with not only the default Therm App App, but THerm-App Plus(has viewing modes that put out WAY clearer images than the default app- ) and Therm-Viewer(it's easy to find , but the full version which you won't need for comparison purposes and isn't free like the base version) let you adjust the image in several different ways- enough to let me bring out the contrast when needed- and might be worth looking into(note:thermappplus also isn't free, but i use  it 50% of the time, and therm viewer 30% -default app 10%)

You'll get vastly more mileage out of the Therm-App with the ability to affect the max and min Span, apply a histogram to the image feet, change the sensitivity of the sensor, lock the palette, and push the color palette around to adjust(all easier in Therm App plus than therm-viewer, and the default app doesn't let you control this)

It actually stomps my Pathfindir II in bad weather- and that's something that bugs me as the pathfindir II was far more money...(and is actually weatherproof)( I see the problem with FLIRs- you can't control them at all)
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone know of a good, high quality case that will fit the Breach in a much smaller size?

That case it comes in is really nice, but it's also huge. I'm looking for something I can store it in when I want to stick the Breach in a backpack or something.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Been using one at the fire station

Inspire Setup

Mavic setup

And, just in case flying isn't an option...

Not exactly a FLIR Breach, but I'm balling on a budget and it lets me get more use out of the same core.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anyone know if a good, high quality case that will fit the Breach in a much smaller size?
View Quote
I can't specifically answer your question but I wonder if they make cases that hold individual SLR camera lenses? I'll bet if they do you could find one that is just the right size for your needs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can't specifically answer your question but I wonder if they make cases that hold individual SLR camera lenses? I'll bet if they do you could find one that is just the right size for your needs?
View Quote
That idea has potential, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That idea has potential, thanks.
View Quote
And when you find one, please share the details. I might want one also. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Can the 233 be used in the clip on roll or does it have to be used as a weapon sight?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s a weapon sight not a clip on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can the 233 be used in the clip on roll or does it have to be used as a weapon sight?
View Quote
Weapon sight only.
ETA: got distracted in the kids' HW and was beaten to the punch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Inspire Setup
https://i.imgur.com/TcI1rvY.jpg

Mavic setup
https://i.imgur.com/44uQKPZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eeNxQzv.jpg

Not exactly a FLIR Breach, but I'm balling on a budget and it lets me get more use out of the same core.
View Quote
Wait, what? What is this sorcery?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anyone know of a good, high quality case that will fit the Breach in a much smaller size?
View Quote
The Otter Box Model 2500 is discontinued, but fits my PVS-14 perfectly.  I think something from Pelican in a comparable size would be a good start.

https://www.rei.com/product/768989/otterbox-2500-series-case
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Otter Box Model 2500 is discontinued, but fits my PVS-14 perfectly.  I think something from Pelican in a comparable size would be a good start.

View Quote
Good suggestion.

Looks like the internal dimensions of a Pelican 1050 would do it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Good suggestion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good suggestion.

Just ordered a 1050 along with some pre-cut foam. I'll post pics next week, hopefully it will work out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Necessity is the mother of invention

Seeing how little is out there in the way of accessories for the core itself, I've got a few other projects in the works that will hopefully prove useful for both ground and air based operation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Telling us this morning, by March or sooner.  We shall see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is because the 640 BOSON cores have not been released from development as of yet.
Are they still on track for first quarter 2018?
Telling us this morning, by March or sooner.  We shall see.
Did I miss an updates on these?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inspire Setup
https://i.imgur.com/TcI1rvY.jpg

Mavic setup
https://i.imgur.com/44uQKPZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eeNxQzv.jpg

What's the housing and lcd -- microviewer! Uber cool reuse the core 3 times

Teach me plz! Got a 320 13mm ..
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm using the low-profile VPC module, which supports analog video output.  Any monitor / TFT capable of NTSC analog input will display the feed.  The rest is just designed using Fusion360 and 3d printed.  I may end up making them available, but want to make sure I get all the bugs worked out, they're still prototypes :)
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just ordered a 1050 along with some pre-cut foam. I'll post pics next week, hopefully it will work out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good suggestion.

Got the case today. I think it's going to be a winner. I may do a little more "plucking" of the foam, but it's working as is.

Case without the foam:

First try at the foam:

Breach and two spare batteries in the foam. As you can see the Breach sits up pretty high as it is now. Zero problems getting the lid shut though. I'm debating if I'm going to expand the cavity in the foam some. As it is it can't rattle in there at all. The lid closes freely until there is a 7/8" gap; the remaining distance requires compression of the foam.

All closed up and ready for travel:

ETA: Dug the cavity a little deeper and wider. Lid closes to about half an inch now before compressing foam. If I had it to do over again I'd have moved the cavity one block to the right, though I could probably still do that with no ill-effect.

Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top