Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 12:22:22 PM EDT
I posted a thread recently that had a good response about safely purchasing a used PVS14 over the net, as I thought I had found a legitimate seller outside of the EE, but it appears I was mistaken or perhaps he's just gotten a better offer, but either way I'm now back to square one, and considering the prospects of building a PVS-14. I'm pretty confident about being able to as it looks exceedingly simple and there looks to be a good supply of mil spec parts kits freely available. The only thing I haven't really nailed down (should I choose to go this route) is where to get a solid image intensifier tube. Do all you builders out there just get them on Ebay, or is there a more reputable source? Any advice?

I'm not convinced I will go this route but just like to understand my options. I may be losing my ability to have more or less unlimited access to night shooting land, so I am now questioning if I even will pursue NODs at all, but it'd be good to understand as much as possible in the meantime.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't through the bay, but will through EE. Have had real good luck. Set your budget and for the next 8 weeks check in everyday. Put a WTB add too. Pe patient and someone here is surely upgrading to a super tube or funding another project, or is offloading because their wife figured out their hobby. Lol. If you've the money just buy new. The waranty is all piece of mind. But if your like me, and money is tight then the EE and members here are your friend. As a matter of fact, they're not just friends, they're enablers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I shouldn't have looked at this

Not going to hijack your thread, but I'm now off to research building one and the costs
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Building a budget PVS14 use to be easy and cost effective and good low cost used tubes could be found with a little looking. Seems as the market has dried up in the last few years (airsoft guys starting buying up NV??). I haven't ran across a good deal on a tube in over a year. I would love to pick up a few more old OMNI IV tubes (if anyone is looking to dump some ). The cheapest I have ever been able to put a complete unit together with a good tube, AB NVM2AA housing and new mil-spec glass was around $1200, but thats been a while. Miss those days...

WTB adds in the EE NV section here get axed quick now days, they use to be good to go and I bought many a NV accessories/tubes that way. Hated to see that policy change....

If you are wanting to save money at this point just pick up a used PVS14. I saw a good spec tube with blems in a PVS14 housing for $1350 and others starting around $1500 in the last couple weeks. Your going to spend more than that on a new tube and housing. Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WTB adds in the EE NV section here get axed quick now days, they use to be good to go and I bought many a NV accessories/tubes that way. Hated to see that policy change....
View Quote
Seriously - that's against policy? I had someone put up a WTB last week. I didn't know it was against policy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Building a budget PVS14 use to be easy and cost effective and good low cost used tubes could be found with a little looking. Seems as the market has dried up in the last few years (airsoft guys starting buying up NV??). I haven't ran across a good deal on a tube in over a year. If you are wanting to save money at this point just pick up a used PVS14. Your going to spend more than that on a new tube and housing. Good Luck!!
View Quote
Unfortunately, I agree with this. Finding all the parts you need can be difficult unless you are willing to get gouged here and there for the couple of items (always something different) that are not readily available.

As a disclaimer: I used to work part time as a purchasing agent for an engineering department so my shopping skills are a little advanced. That having been said, I have found mint condition PVS-14s for less money than I could buy a used tube.

If the PVS-14 powers up and generates an image, does not have any overt damage, the controls function properly and nothing rattles when you shake it then it is probably good to go. I have not seen much in the way of intermittent problems with these so an inspection usually weeds out the problems.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Do the Envis tubes fit?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Buying used complete units sounds amazing, but they are in short supply. When you want to buy you have to wait months to find one that fits your needs from a reputable source.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
mine is in for repair and waiting on a new battery pack but I have been thinking about getting it back and selling it and putting it towards a newer white phosphorus one 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
mine is in for repair and waiting on a new battery pack but I have been thinking about getting it back and selling it and putting it towards a newer white phosphorus one 
View Quote
This. If your patient a good deal like this comes along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top