Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2017 5:47:18 PM EDT
Let me start off by saying that I am completely ignorant when it comes to night vision... Literally the only thing I know is that Gen 3 is better than Gen 1

I'm looking at getting into the NV world and I am primarily interested in either a NV scope or a stand alone unit that can be mounted in front of an already sighted in riflescope (preferred method).  Mostly going to be used for hogs and coyotes.

What are some pros and cons or other suggestions that y'all may have?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget?
View Quote

Ideally it would be $1k-$3k but depending on people's opinions and getting more bang for my buck I might could swing up to $5k.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ideally it would be $1k-$3k but depending on people's opinions and getting more bang for my buck I might could swing up to $5k.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Budget?

Those are realistic numbers.

Stand alone: Reconditioned PVS-4 for $750 to $1,000. Add a premium tube (another $300 to $600 cost). TNVC has some killer D series stand alones in Gen 3 and NGI has their twins in Gen 2 the last I saw. Take a look at all this and get back to us.

Clip-on: The economical Gen 2 clip-ons get a bad rap here. I am unsure if it is justified. Gen 3 clip-ons are very expensive.

Take your time and get several opinions before you commit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Stand alone = NV scope
Clip on = put in front of scope

Correct?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stand alone = NV scope
Clip on = put in front of scope

Correct?
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If I was the OP I would stretch the budget and go with the refurbished KAC-30.
Just the fact that you can move it around to different guns makes the price of admission worth it.

If you can get it in front of a variable powered day scope that has a lit reticle with a NV setting it is even better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just the fact that you can move it around to different guns makes the price of admission worth it.

If you can get it in front of a variable powered day scope that has a lit reticle with a NV setting it is even better.
View Quote
I hate to tell the only guy that has a realistic budget that he needs to stretch it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hate to tell the only guy that has a realistic budget that he needs to stretch it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol... that's why I was hesitant to post the $5k number. I've seen how expensive this NV hobby can get.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You could look into a Gen 2 D740 or D760 but Gen 3 is always better. They are dedicated NV scopes

If you are patient and look often you might run into a used Gen3 740 for
+ or - $2k. It is not the D model which has two reticle colors, just one color.

I am on my second 740 and it is a good dedicated scope.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could look into a Gen 2 D740 or D760 but Gen 3 is always better. They are dedicated NV scopes

If you are patient and look often you might run into a used Gen3 740 for
+ or - $2k. It is not the D model which has two reticle colors, just one color.

I am on my second 740 and it is a good dedicated scope.
View Quote
...but Watermelon Assassin has this in the EE right now: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_172/1633519_WTS--Gen-3-D760-Weapon-sight.html

This is a smoking sight for a smoking price. I like the big objective lenses (in this case 165mm). They really help the intensifier tube gather more light prior to amplification.

If I had $2,950 ready I would scoop it myself and leave you hanging.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#12]
hunting pigs, just go thermal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
hunting pigs, just go thermal.
View Quote

I'd agree with this. Keep an eye on the EE and grab a thermal weapons system.

There was an IR defense M300 for $5000 on TexasGunTrader.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top