Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 1:05:22 AM EDT
I was waiting for the Q14B 640 unit to come out this fall but found a NIB Q14 640 for $4k (bought in Jan this year and never used)should I wait for the B or jump on this one now?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd ask you and all these other guys what are you going to do with a 1x scope?  The boson core isn't going to make the original q14 look like a piece of trash.  I'm sure it's great but let's tap the brakes a bit for the real world.   The average shit kicker is gonna do just fine with tau 2.     Companies and their employees are tasked with selling their new shit.  I'll be looking for people dumping tau 2.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#2]
How much are they asking for the original Q14? It would really depend on the price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I've heard the B will be $4000.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I also heard that was going to be a price increase.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm manly going to use it as a general purpose  pocket sized see shit in the dark monocular to replace my old scout.  it also comes with a new weapons mount and a skull crusher.  If I do use the weapon mount it will be for inside of a 100yds shooting so 1x with a wide field of view would be perfect. I figured if the q14b wasnt going to be an amazing jump forward over the q14 why wait when I can get this one new for the same price.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have some bad news. I am being told that the 640 Q14B is not making it into the 2017 product catalog lineup and it may not be released until summer and may likely be pushed back until around 2018.

I just sent my Q14 device in for a firmware update, so this info is directly from FLIR. If you were waiting to buy the Bosin version, you have some wait time ahead of you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have some bad news. I am being told that the 640 Q14B is not making it into the 2017 product catalog lineup and it may not be released until summer and may likely be pushed back until around 2018.

I just sent my Q14 device in for a firmware update, so this info is directly from FLIR. If you were waiting to buy the Bosin version, you have some wait time ahead of you.
View Quote

That sucks. Did they say anything about the 320 core unit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Huh, and I got my ass handed to me for suggesting FLIR's caginess was a red flag. Can I hand it back now?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Hold on to your ass!
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hold on to your ass!
View Quote

lol, I do appreciate your sense of humor! 

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Huh, and I got my ass handed to me for suggesting FLIR's caginess was a red flag. Can I hand it back now?

-Stooxie
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
do you have to do a manual refresh when you 1st start yours? The one I'm thinking about buying has to be refinished when you 1st start it (even with the lens cap on start up) then you have to frequently do a manual refresh until it gets warmed up. After about 3-5min the image becomes pretty stable not requiring a refresh for 10-15 minutes
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
do you have to do a manual refresh when you 1st start yours? The one I'm thinking about buying has to be refinished when you 1st start it (even with the lens cap on start up) then you have to frequently do a manual refresh until it gets warmed up. After about 3-5min the image becomes pretty stable not requiring a refresh for 10-15 minutes
View Quote

Yes, mine is like that too - Only when it first turns on though. I just sent mine in for a firmware update, so i am hoping it resolves some of that. I really do love the form factor of this device.

I know nothing about the 320 Q14 B. I only inquired about the 640, and that is what i was told. I was also told that there would be no trade-ins for anything with a Bosin core.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Since the 320 bosin core came up, why is FLIR not trying to jump up to a 384 core?

I am just curious how good the 320 core is really going to be when staked up against some pretty capable 384 cored units in the same price range now. The shot show video looked good, but I remember how underwhelmed I was when the FLIR Scout units hit the market.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The 320 Boson core looks and works better than most 640 cores, and way better than any 384 core.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Will the new q14 boson model have internal  recording?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Will the new q14 boson model have internal  recording?
View Quote
Q14B records to external DVR or smartpad/phone via app, it is too tiny to have internal recording built in. It does have either IR or red visible laser and external battery pack with two 18650s.

Other Boson Clip-Ons and TWS do have internal video recording with SDHC card, but not the Q14B.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had a hard time finding an answer on this. The documentation on FLIR's site said something about a reticle, but i;ve not seen that anywhere else. Does the Q14B have a reticle that would enable it to be used as a relatively short range weapon optic? Or is it pretty much entirely for handheld/helmet use?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had a hard time finding an answer on this. The documentation on FLIR's site said something about a reticle, but i;ve not seen that anywhere else. Does the Q14B have a reticle that would enable it to be used as a relatively short range weapon optic? Or is it pretty much entirely for handheld/helmet use?
View Quote
Yes, it has an adjustable internal reticule to allow use as a TWS. It is NOT collimated for use as a Clip-On though at that price.

The Q14 with a QRM adapter can be used as a thermal imaging weapon sight. Use the Q14 in weapon sight mode as follows:
1. Install the QRM adapter to the Q14.
2. Install the Q14 on a weapon.
3. Turn on the Q14.
4. Activate the Q14 reticle by using the Reticle function in the Main Menu.
5. Adjust the brightness of the display.
6. Adjust the focus to sharpen the image of the target.
7. Select a reticle pattern using the Reticle Menu.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
The current Q14 offering has this same functionality.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've heard the B will be $4000.
View Quote
4k for the 320 or 640?.....I thought 2k sounded too cheap for an awesome thermal mono that will supposedly blow everything else away.

Also, a question to anybody....is the ir laser coing to be class 1?

Any new rumors on the release date?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

4k for the 320 or 640?.....I thought 2k sounded too cheap for an awesome thermal mono that will supposedly blow everything else away.

<$2K for 320

Also, a question to anybody....is the ir laser coing to be class 1?

Class I IR.

Any new rumors on the release date?

Shipping to authorized distributors real soon.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#24]
OMG

Thanks for the info Skypup....that just made my night

I will definitely be giving TNVC a call....I wonder if they will take preorders?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Already called.  Not yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:22:05 AM EDT
[#26]
I ended up getting the Q14 640. Got it for $3500 NIB with weapon mount and head gear. I'm on flirs pre order list for the Q14B and will probably get it to play with too. I'm really liking the Q14 so far. I've talked to two reps one said the B will out perform the older one in every aspect the other rep said the B will have a little better battery life, a little smaller size but the resolution and function will still be about the same as the current Q14. Either way you can't go wrong with either one.

46 degree temps at 11pm 200-250ish yds

X4 46 degree temps at 11pm 200-250ish yes

Golden Gate Bridge about a 2mils away

Random night shots

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice, Boson will put it to shame though...
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice, Boson will put it to shame though...
View Quote
I'm on the preorder list from FLIR so I guess we'll see when they ship. The last rep I talked to said the 320 core will look like the current 320 core and the same with the 640. He said the main difference will be in size and battery life.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm on the preorder list from FLIR so I guess we'll see when they ship. The last rep I talked to said the 320 core will look like the current 320 core and the same with the 640. He said the main difference will be in size and battery life.
View Quote
Everything i've heard about Boson was that it was a noticeable performance upgrade.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Everything i've heard about Boson was that it was a noticeable performance upgrade.
View Quote
hopefully it will be! The biggest issue I have with this Q14 is the short battery life and the constant manual calibrations the 1st 10min of running. If the B version fixes that and has the clarity that comes close to the 640 quark it will be amazing. I got my payment invoice for the B a week or two ago.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Are the specifics updated for this boson powered device listed anywhere yet? I got all excited looking at it earlier this week online, it did mention the thermal array being boson, but the rest of the specs on the sheet still appear to be from the quark core. 

Thanks. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
hopefully it will be! The biggest issue I have with this Q14 is the short battery life and the constant manual calibrations the 1st 10min of running. If the B version fixes that and has the clarity that comes close to the 640 quark it will be amazing. I got my payment invoice for the B a week or two ago.
View Quote
keep in mind that Boson is a very new product.  I remember when Tau was first released >10 years ago (Quark is basically a shutterless Tau).  It certainly wasn't the same product as it is today.  Feature enhancements, bug fixes, image quality improvements all happened over the course of the Tau's lifetime.  Even if Boson is as-good as the current version of Tau, I think we're in for a real treat with this new FLIR/Armasight line of products.  If the OTS team does it right, we should have the best of both product lines (awesome image quality, replaceable batteries, internal file storage, field upgradable firmware, etc.).
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
The separate image processing chip is central to a lot of that, including heretofore unseen AI applications.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get the Armasight external Battery pack. It lasts a long time. It also have a video output built into it. I was to say I picked mine up new for like 200 from Optics Planet or Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#36]
What kind of detection distance do these have on humans/large animals?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What kind of detection distance do these have on humans/large animals?
View Quote
i can clearly make out humans at 250-300yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top