Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 5:00:36 PM EDT
cheap gen 3 nvd

Theres a thread in gd as well.
gd thread

I want to get into the nv game and have been thinking about buying a tube and housing and trying to DIY one, as I don't have the money to drop 4 grand on a "toy", but I don't want to end up with garbage.  

These seem really cheap for a gen 3 unit, compared to what I've been seeing. Would I be better off saving my pennies for something else?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
says "Gen 3", but what are the specs?  how does the tube look?  are there blems?

reading the GD thread... they are russian.  i would stay away.  there are a couple of facebook groups that sell great US Gen 3 PVS14's for 1.5-2K all day.  IMHO save your pennies.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
says "Gen 3", but what are the specs?  how does the tube look?  are there blems?

reading the GD thread... they are russian.  i would stay away.  there are a couple of facebook groups that sell great US Gen 3 PVS14's for 1.5-2K all day.  IMHO save your pennies.
View Quote

Names of said Facebook groups??
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO save for something better since not all Gen3 are equal. For the money TNVC builds a in house L3 Omni VIII which gathers light very well for the money espically when on sale sub 3k. Lower grade gen 2/2+ do well for the money @ 1.5-2k but in very dark conditions will fail vs a good gen3 unit without the aide of a illuminator. If light discipline is not a factor save your money and get a good gen 2/2+ unit. Being under a canopy or a moonless night and having your buddy tell you to shoot the 25m steel using your NV/red dot only and you reply I can't see the target is humbling. Kinda like trying to merge into traffic with a Toyota Puris, while everyone else are driving 911 Turbos.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok.  Thanks guys, I'll save my pennies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
there are a couple of facebook groups that sell great US Gen 3 PVS14's for 1.5-2K all day.  IMHO save your pennies.
View Quote

^ This.

And before someone chimes in and says "buy new, you get a warranty!!" Lots of guys/companies on those pages sell them with warranties
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a bit of info but I know for a fact that Armasight warranties carry over to secondary  purchasers but it is based on the original purchaser buy date. Other manufacturers probably do the same but I would check first.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... what he said.  I'm always in the market for a deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night Vision Gear. Night Vision and Hunting. The Night Vision, Thermal & Hog Hunting Group.  There's a few other tactical gear pages and optic pages that NV stuff pops up on also.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
A guy at my gun club showed up with one of these and it looked sweet!  Couldn't tell how good the tube was because the moon was full that night (with many clouds moving through) and everything looked VIBRANT.
The quality of the build had the look and feel of something substantial.  No defects in the tube that I could see.  I think the quality appeared quite good for the price point. 

Caveat *** I've never looked through a Night Vision scope before this and I might have a different opinion if I had more experience looking through top of the line American made scopes in comparison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top