Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2016 1:29:28 PM EDT
So I've got a DD 10.3" 300BO SBR with a Rugged Razor suppressor. I'm trying to keep this thing as relatively light as possible as I'm old and very low speed, high drag. Primary nighttime use will be hog hunting using a head mounted PVS-14. The rile is currently wearing an Eotech 557, and one option is to mount another PVS-14 behind it (not my favorite idea for fear of selecting day mode and burning a very nice PVS).

Right now I'm leaning toward a DBAL-A3 for IR illumination and laser and a surefire X300U for white light., but that's a lot of crap at the front of my rifle. Anybody have any suggestions to keep this a multifunctional. lightweight day/night hog hammer? I really like the fit of this SBR (my first) and am willing to change up the optics/lights/lasers to keep it so comfortable to use. Also, any suggestions on targeting compensation for bullet drop at night between subs and supers would be appreciated. I can figure it out if I mount the PVS behind the Eotech, but again I'm afraid I'll screw that up.

TIA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap day scope and an IR illuminator is what I used before I got thermal scopes. Back then I didn't have to flip my nv up to shoot. Just simply raise the rifle turn on the illuminator momentarily and shoot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think what you have would be perfectly workable and not at all excessively heavy.  I have a 10.5" 300 BLK SBR I plan to use mostly with subsonic ammunition.  It is going to be set up similarly to what you have.

*PSA 10.5" 300 BLK upper
*Holoson HS503G sight (has a BDC)
*X300U
*Crimson Trace Railmaster IR laser
*Rugged Surge, recently sprung from jail

The plan is to have the Holosun mounted toward the front of the receiver to allow for a magnifier to be used during the day if desired.  This should also allow for a PVS-14 to be mounted behind it w/ or w/o a 3x magnifier.  I'm either going to do no BUIS or something easily removable to give me max use of receiver rail space.  The DBAL-A4 should be out soon which would allow you to condense the light and laser into one device.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you using the DD Mk18 RIS handguard? If so, you could save a lot of weight by moving to something more modern, maybe with a negative space mounting system like Keymod or M-Lok.

The Mk18 RIS is pretty heavy for what it is by modern standards, especially compared to something like the KMR or the SLR offerings. Even the Geissele rails are lighter and designed to be rigid for laser alignment.

The BCM KMR Alpha 9 (9.4") is over 6oz lighter and the Geissele SMR Mk8 9.5" is over 4oz lighter.

That would buy back the weight of your light and then some.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in a similar boat, currently in the process of building an 8.5" 300 BLK SBR. I've also been wanting to keep the weight down and be able to use the rifle at night.

I tried to go as light as possible with the optic, so chose the Aimpoint T-2 with Bobro mount. For the white/IR illumination I plan to go with a Surefire X300V, since you basically get IR for free from a weight stand point (X300U and X300V both weigh about 4 oz.).

Laser I plan to go with CQBL-1, at 6 oz. only about 1 oz more than an IR only laser like the OTAL, and I get a slaved visible laser.

Total (Surefire X300V, CQBL-1, Aimpoint T-2, and Bobro mount) comes out to about 17.5 oz, or just a hair over 1 lb. This would be about 1/2 lb lighter than Eotech, DBAL-A3, and X300U (about 25 ~ 26 oz).

I probably won't get my Form 1 back till sometime next year so been taking my sweet ass time building this thing... waiting for someone to put out something better than the current light/laser offerings, or waiting for a good sale.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I've got a DD 10.3" 300BO SBR with a Rugged Razor suppressor. I'm trying to keep this thing as relatively light as possible as I'm old and very low speed, high drag. Primary nighttime use will be hog hunting using a head mounted PVS-14. The rile is currently wearing an Eotech 557, and one option is to mount another PVS-14 behind it (not my favorite idea for fear of selecting day mode and burning a very nice PVS).

Right now I'm leaning toward a DBAL-A3 for IR illumination and laser and a surefire X300U for white light., but that's a lot of crap at the front of my rifle. Anybody have any suggestions to keep this a multifunctional. lightweight day/night hog hammer? I really like the fit of this SBR (my first) and am willing to change up the optics/lights/lasers to keep it so comfortable to use. Also, any suggestions on targeting compensation for bullet drop at night between subs and supers would be appreciated. I can figure it out if I mount the PVS behind the Eotech, but again I'm afraid I'll screw that up.

TIA.
View Quote

Using 2 pvs 14's would be my last choice. I end up crashing my head mounted '14 into my thermal setup a lot to begin with.

I would ditch the X300, in favor of a M300. With a little creativity you can mount a tape switch in a place where it is only accessible by a finger, preventing accidental discharge of the light. Or use the clicky but i prefer it to be mounted on the right side, leaving left side slick for easier carrying slung.

My favorite day/night setup is a Dbal I2 with M300. Insert red dot of your choice. T1 would be a good pick weight wise. I like having the redundant sighting systems because I spend a good amount of time on the ground walking around. Thats going to add weight, but in my opinion it is not as noticeable as the suppressor out on the end.

Subs/supers I would just sight in with supers & only use those for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in a similar boat, currently in the process of building an 8.5" 300 BLK SBR. I've also been wanting to keep the weight down and be able to use the rifle at night.

I tried to go as light as possible with the optic, so chose the Aimpoint T-2 with Bobro mount. For the white/IR illumination I plan to go with a Surefire X300V, since you basically get IR for free from a weight stand point (X300U and X300V both weigh about 4 oz.).

Laser I plan to go with CQBL-1, at 6 oz. only about 1 oz more than an IR only laser like the OTAL, and I get a slaved visible laser.

Total (Surefire X300V, CQBL-1, Aimpoint T-2, and Bobro mount) comes out to about 17.5 oz, or just a hair over 1 lb. This would be about 1/2 lb lighter than Eotech, DBAL-A3, and X300U (about 25 ~ 26 oz).

I probably won't get my Form 1 back till sometime next year so been taking my sweet ass time building this thing... waiting for someone to put out something better than the current light/laser offerings, or waiting for a good sale.
View Quote

I started out going a similar route to this, but the relatively low distance of the vampire lights under IR and glowing red LEDs was a major turn off for me. However you can't beat it for the weight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as i understand a PVS14 CAN NOT handle the 300 supers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a different understanding but as my wife tells me I'm usually wrong. AAC advertises less felt recoil for 300. BO. Anybody have different info?

Thanks for all the responses so far. Lots to chew on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I can tell you my wife prefers the 300 blk vs 5.56 or x39 supers. She says it has less recoil. It is not perceptible to me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 300 blackout with a 10.3" barrel. I used to use a head mounted Pitbull setup (Similar to a PVS14). I have since switched to a Sentinel bino setup.

It is an awesome caliber to use with NV. I would recommend using your PVS14 mounted to your helmet and get an IR laser. You can always just look through your optic if you do not have a laser.

Edit:
I haven't used the DBAL... But I use an ATPIAL-C on mine. With the ATPIAL you could get away with not using an IR flashlight since you have the illuminator. That would save some weight. Just carry a white light in your pocket or helmet mount it so you can use it hands free.
Not putting the PVS14 on the gun is also a weight saver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]
For a lightweight budget option, the Holosun DBAL-like system that also has an integrated white light should be releasing before Christmas... Last I heard anyway. http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=100
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a lightweight budget option, the Holosun DBAL-like system that also has an integrated white light should be releasing before Christmas... Last I heard anyway. http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=100
View Quote

price on that link is $1058
Seems a little high to be called budget. Was i seeing the wrong one?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
You can use your monocular head mounted behind the 557, which, IIRC is NV compatible.  

This should avoid the permanent burn issue as you will a) be able to tell if it's too bright, and b) the monocular won't be "locked down" so that the reticule is always hitting the same part of the tube and depleting it.  You can also sidestep the recoil issue, since it will be head mounted.  

Whatever problems folks may have with EOTechs, they work absolutely beautifully for this kind of application with the wide, rectangular FOV and narrow "walls," so you don't lose as much light coming in as a bulky tube optic in front.  A riser that brings the sight up a little bit higher than "traditional" AR height will also make this much easier.  

Beyond that, a Surefire Vampire or Inforce or other IR-capable light for illum, and you can have a workable solution that's day/night, VIS/IR, and doesn't require you to buy a LAM, right off the bat, and you can use it like that until you're able to save up for an ATPIAL-C or DBAL.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on tube but most cannot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top