Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2016 4:07:18 PM EDT
After reading quite a few negative reviews of a gopro adapter for the PVS14 and passing on a few used ones for $200-250 I saved up my hard earned pennies and bought one of the Night Combat Solutions FPRS cameras when they hit the market. So far I like it. Both systems have drawbacks, but not having all the weight of a gopro hanging off of the front of my skull is what tipped me towards the FPRS. Another big issue is there is no amber prism used with the FPRS. I do my best to try not to use any IR illumination while hunting and in my experience an amber filter will require it at some point. The video you capture with the FPRS it is what your eye is seeing. No light loss. Now the down side is it is not as durable as a waterproof GoPro Camera or have wifi and you will have to deal with two wires, but the video is just as good and has a remote. The FPRS has a pretty cool feature where the mini-dvr vibrates on your helmet to let you know if you are taking photos or video, so no sounds to spook critters. And with the FPRS you get a complete system for $300. For a weekend warrior like myself the FPRS is working well for me based on size, weight, light transmission, and cost - what it gives up is the durability that the gopro has and the wifi.

I don't really have any good video uploaded to youtube with the FPRS system, other than my dog in the living room with the daylight filter on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helmw1HLEPk

https://www.nightcombatsolutions.com/collections/frontpage/products/first-person-recording-system-fprs

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
What the heck, I fent. They have a $75 off coupon right now too. FPRS14
Love the look of the tnvc GoPro adaptor, but I'm not waiting any longer for the session version.

OP: do you have a 64 or 128gb card to try? Would like the ability to have a larger capacity card.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
$225 for one of these now? That's impressive for what you get.

I can pop a 64 in there this weekend and check it for you. I think I have a 32 in there right now and it works fine.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Been hearing a lot of positive things about these in different groups. Also there are some videos on youtube of these in action. I want to pick one up very soon!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What the heck, I fent. They have a $75 off coupon right now too. FPRS14
Love the look of the tnvc GoPro adaptor, but I'm not waiting any longer for the session version.

OP: do you have a 64 or 128gb card to try? Would like the ability to have a larger capacity card.
View Quote

Where can you get the coupon?

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The coupon is FPRS14 and you use it after you add the item to your cart and hit checkout. Thats when the coupon can be entered. I haven't purchased one, just wanted to see if it still worked and what the total cost would be. I'm still looking at TNVC's system as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The coupon is FPRS14 and you use it after you add the item to your cart and hit checkout. Thats when the coupon can be entered. I haven't purchased one, just wanted to see if it still worked and what the total cost would be. I'm still looking at TNVC's system as well.
View Quote

Just ordered it and it still works. Total is $234 with shipping.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I never could resist a great deal! I got mine ordered this afternoon with the coupon code.

My thanks for the coupon code!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
NICE! I want to see some video soon from you guys!
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#9]
How quick was the shipping when you got yours?

NVM: just got shipping notification!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty quick, same day if I recall.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP, I fo'd as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will try this along side the tnvg mount,
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the TNVC mount as well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
How long before you guys got a shipping notification after your order? This is the third day for me with the weekend coming, and all I've gotten is an order confirmation the 1st day. Website seems to be down as well!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How long before you guys got a shipping notification after your order? This is the third day for me with the weekend coming, and all I've gotten is an order confirmation the 1st day. Website seems to be down as well!
View Quote

Don't worry, Aaron is a good dude. I did see the other day on a different page he mentioned that he was a couple days behind on them. He's a veteran with a well earned purple heart and he'll get you taken care of.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't worry, Aaron is a good dude. I did see the other day on a different page he mentioned that he was a couple days behind on them. He's a veteran with a well earned purple heart and he'll get you taken care of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know! I do see the website is back up too!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is set to be delivered on Monday
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:39:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, I ordered one the other day, still waiting for shipping.  I have an expedition coming up next week, I hope he can ship it in time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like they come usps priority.
Mine is scheduled to be delivered today. Too bad I'm 4 states away from home till Monday!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Received my FPRS yesterday. Unfortunately I was out of town, so I just now got it set up. I will have to test it out tonight.

Here is how I set it up for now...

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Received my FPRS yesterday. Unfortunately I was out of town, so I just now got it set up. I will have to test it out tonight.

Here is how I set it up for now...

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q576/sbye/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_28312-20161023_154956-1827696846_zpsxatyd83x.jpg

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q576/sbye/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_28312-20161023_155011-895880394_zpsrnuvljkc.jpg
View Quote
nice , looking forward to some video

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spoke with him today and he is getting through his batch of units to ship out.  He is definitely a great guy to do business with and is very concerned about his customer service level.  I will be taking it out this weekend and share some videos of it out in the field.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got a chance to test it out & I am pretty happy with it. The only issue I have noticed is that when the camera is exposed to bright light, it changes the color or the recording from green to more of a black/white & it doesn't seem to return back to the normal color. You can notice the color change at the end of the video.

Also, it looks like the upload from my computer to Youtube has degraded the quality of the image a little bit.

*Edit*
Tube is a MX10160A AVS 6 Omni IV tube. Non-gated with automatic brightness control.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Finally got a chance to test it out & I am pretty happy with it. The only issue I have noticed is that when the camera is exposed to bright light, it changes the color or the recording from green to more of a black/white & it doesn't seem to return back to the normal color. You can notice the color change at the end of the video.

Also, it looks like the upload from my computer to Youtube has degraded the quality of the image a little bit.

https://youtu.be/PV3ypcja_ik

*Edit*

Tube is a MX10160A AVS 6 Omni IV tube. Non-gated with automatic brightness control.
View Quote
great video , i need to get me one of these

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is one I took just a little while ago. On mine, it seems that a purplish artifact appears on the right when the image gets too dark and remains for awhile. I'll try to get some with my dbal A3 as well.
youtube link

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:14:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Edit*

Does you camera ring sit fully against the shoulder of the housing? Mine has a gap of about a 1/4 of an inch on the diopter ring. It won't go on any farther than that. Just curious.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Does you camera ring sit fully against the shoulder of the housing? Mine has a gap of about a 1/4 of an inch on the diopter ring. It won't go on any farther than that. Just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Edit*

Mine has the gap as well. I think it was designed that way so the numbers are visible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine and have exploring what it does from every angle. I've learned that by using the RCA video on the cable that there may be more features than what is mentioned in the instructions. I've sent an email to Aaron at the company to see if there is some software originally setup for it. For instance there is a date and time display in the RCA view, but no way to set it. But I think there's more yet.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for posting this.  Just ordered one.  Now I've got to figure out how to mount and carry it on a PVS-14.

Anybody here have a direct video comparison against a GoPro adapted to a PVS?  I'm looking at one of those as well for the times weather looks too damp for the FPRS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I have both but it will be a few weeks before i can do a side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I dig the videos. nice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I wish I had seen this thread two weeks ago. I got to shoot a practical rifle/pistol competition at night for the first time with nods last Friday.

I went ahead and ordered it. The coupon code still works.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that within 30 minutes of me taking the unit out of the box I had completely destroyed it. The ribbon cable tore very easily, and I broke the "on" botton.

The good news is the owner of the company got back with me within 24 hours and told me some of the most recent batch have had fragile ribbon cables, and that he'd send me a new unit asap.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you received your new one yet?

I also received a bad one, the ribbon cable broke within 5 mins of having the unit. I received the unit on Nov 7th and talked to Aaron that night and he said he would be sending out a new one ASAP. I've messaged Aaron a few times after the 7th with no response to FB message or Emails. 11 days and counting without any response. I feel like I've been left high and dry here! I'll keep everyone updated!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#35]
He is a good dude, you will not be stood up and I hate to hear about the bad batch - that sucks. The one I bought has been great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Have you received your new one yet?

I also received a bad one, the ribbon cable broke within 5 mins of having the unit. I received the unit on Nov 7th and talked to Aaron that night and he said he would be sending out a new one ASAP. I've messaged Aaron a few times after the 7th with no response to FB message or Emails. 11 days and counting without any response. I feel like I've been left high and dry here! I'll keep everyone updated!
View Quote
I got mine today. I just installed it, and will be testing it. I sent a reminder email after a week and he shipped immediately. I'm thinking this is a one man operation and he got swamped.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I haven't followed back on up on this thread.  Long story short, its a neat solution but not a practical solution if you actually need to navigate with your PVS-14.  I was disappointed with the eye piece as it pushes the PVS-14 farther away and narrows your field of view way too much.  I place this in the gimmick category just like the GoPro solution.  If you want to record some shooting great, if you install it after you are in a static position, great.  If you want to be dynamic and navigate with your PVS-14, I am still waiting for a good solution at an affordable price.  I do prefer the solution over the GoPro solution.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I haven't followed back on up on this thread.  Long story short, its a neat solution but not a practical solution if you actually need to navigate with your PVS-14.  I was disappointed with the eye piece as it pushes the PVS-14 farther away and narrows your field of view way too much.  I place this in the gimmick category just like the GoPro solution.  If you want to record some shooting great, if you install it after you are in a static position, great.  If you want to be dynamic and navigate with your PVS-14, I am still waiting for a good solution at an affordable price.  I do prefer the solution over the GoPro solution.
View Quote

You should be running your PVS-14 at full extension on the nightcap or over half with a helmet so the ocular lense doesn't fog or cut your eye socket up anyway.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You should be running your PVS-14 at full extension on the nightcap or over half with a helmet so the ocular lense doesn't fog or cut your eye socket up anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it would be a matter of opinion, as I have mine setup on a dual PVS 14 system, and navigate just fine! I took video walking around the first time, then later driving my UTV in the back timber. It's a good buy for the money if you want to record any NV activity through your 14. I'm sure there's other options out there, but not at this price!

I even shot a varmint in my garden at 54 yds with an IR laser on my pistol, with it on, and had no issues other than forgetting to turn it on.........  
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

With the FPRS, you have to run it as close as possible to your eye to see the image without the peripheral blocked or the camera in the way.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am wearing eye pro and I want as wide of a FOV as possible, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I guess it would be a matter of opinion, as I have mine setup on a dual PVS 14 system, and navigate just fine! I took video walking around the first time, then later driving my UTV in the back timber. It's a good buy for the money if you want to record any NV activity through your 14. I'm sure there's other options out there, but not at this price!

I even shot a varmint in my garden at 54 yds with an IR laser on my pistol, with it on, and had no issues other than forgetting to turn it on.........  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are running with dual PVS-14, so FOV is a bit different for you.  I also didn't care for the optical aperture that blocks a material portion of the prime viewing area which is the middle half of the tube.  The advertising made it seem like it was non intrusive, but it was very intrusive to me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
So what other units are there out there that provide recording from a PVS14 and provide a clear field of view? What is the cost per unit? I'm curious, as I've not seen much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I got to use it for about an hour hunting other humans in a safe manner 2 weeks ago.  I threw this quick video together to show it off.  I did notice the post with camera on it at first, but once i was focusing on my surroundings and targets, it got completely ignored.  i had no trouble navigating or engaging targets.  
Yes, it's airsoft, but i enjoy it and its fun so poo poo all you want, but its a fun hobby.  
and as an aside, the illuminator on my DBAL A3 went tits up so i was only able to use the pointer and WML on my helmet.  it has since been sent back to Steiner and will hopefully be back soon.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just passing along what I learned from SF dudes (and a nonSF dude that had a bunch of scars around his eyes from having a wide field of view with his NVGs back and having it smack back into his eye socket). I won't pass advice along next time to avoid bothering people. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just passing along what I learned from SF dudes (and a nonSF dude that had a bunch of scars around his eyes from having a wide field of view with his NVGs back and having it smack back into his eye socket). I won't pass advice along next time to avoid bothering people. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol your feedback is valuable.  I assume the SF dudes are wearing eye pro and helmets, why would they have a need to push the PVS-14 so far away?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I got to use it for about an hour hunting other humans in a safe manner 2 weeks ago.  I threw this quick video together to show it off.  I did notice the post with camera on it at first, but once i was focusing on my surroundings and targets, it got completely ignored.  i had no trouble navigating or engaging targets.  
Yes, it's airsoft, but i enjoy it and its fun so poo poo all you want, but its a fun hobby.  
and as an aside, the illuminator on my DBAL A3 went tits up so i was only able to use the pointer and WML on my helmet.  it has since been sent back to Steiner and will hopefully be back soon.  

https://youtu.be/Wwqc-sAKKFU
View Quote

Looks like a fun night.  You brain starts to ignore the front post but the fact is you are not seeing through the obstruction just ignoring it.  I found it to obstruct about 33% of the lower middle of your FOV.  This a key area for navigating especially in unimproved environments were ankle breakers abound.  These videos don't show the operators view.  While I loved the user interface via remote and the weight and attachment to the NVG, I am concerned about its weather resilience and I very much did not care for the red led light.  The buzz feedback is more than adequate.  I tried to black it out with electrical tape, but it still leaked a bit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol your feedback is valuable.  I assume the SF dudes are wearing eye pro and helmets, why would they have a need to push the PVS-14 so far away?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ocular lens can fog up during activity, and eyen with eyepro, the 14 can scuff the eyepro and or push the eyepro back hard. They don't always use helmets, either.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Another video from when I was testing it out... This one is of my dog. We have a wifi camera in our living room that turns on an IR light when it is dark in the room. That is why it is so bright and there is a big shadow.

I need to put the FPRS on my nods and just leave them out there. I have had a ton of opportunities to get some awesome footage, but didn't have it on my nods... I have had some really close up encounters with deer that would have looked awesome on film. I've got as close as 15 - 20 yards.

I haven't left them on because I take my Sentinels off and put them in my helmet and stuff them in my backpack when I am not using them... It would be a pain in the ass to do that with the FPRS attached. Anyone have theirs set up in a way that is easy to break down?
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Just thought I would give everyone an update. Today is November 29th! 22days after I was told a "new replacement unit would be sent out ASAP" by Aaron at Combat Night Solutions. . After many unanswered emails and Facebook messaging "the only way to contact". I finally receive a message on 11/21 " Sorry! I don't get notifications on this page and I'll over night you a new one." EIGHT days Later and nothing! If i could take t back I wouldn't waste my time or money. I have almost $250 stuck in a paper weight that doesn't work and I never even got to use.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top