Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2016 10:52:26 PM EDT
I looked, but couldn't find commentary on this.  Supposedly this model represents one of the more cost effective routes to night vision capability for the casual user.  And reportedly (I've heard first hand, and of course in the marketing), this is a significant refinement of the Gen 1 concept, into something usable.  

In my case, we're talking maybe once a year hog hunt type usage on a pleasant night, a couple hundred yards or so, and if one gets away, no big deal.  That said, I tried cheap Russian Gen 1 NV 10 years ago.  That was a waste of money, so sure don't want to repeat that!

https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Photon-4-6x42S-Digital-Riflescope/dp/B00NZ98OKG

After watching what they are doing with ITAR to Gunsmiths right now, I just have an edgy feeling about the availability of stuff like this long term, so maybe it's time to pick something up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a friend that has one and really likes it, needs a good ir illuminator he used the one from tnvc the torch pro. He has it mounted on a .223 ar and has taken hogs and coyote at 100-150 yards.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Digital is much like Gen1, however being digital does allow some nice features, and while you've had a bad experience with Gen1, it is quite capable with a good illuminator.

Gen1 and digital are quite suitable for short-range shooting applications, out to around 150 yds with a good illuminator.

If you want something that will show you vision all the way to the horizon though, you need at least Gen2 and if used in very dark rural areas, you're looking at either advanced Gen2 or Gen3.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one of their older models and it worked well for what it was with none of the issues of the ATN x-sight. The newer model your looking at is supposedly much better and the range that cj7hawk posted is about right. Pick up a T20 IR light off of amazon or have one built from some of the guys on here and you've got a pig killing machine that can still be used in daylight hours unlike traditional night vision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top