Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 9:36:11 AM EDT
Not the case itself, but rather the limitations of the ability to identify the position of the lever/case.   Lots of short cuts for convenience really aren't short cuts.

"As the crew was flying at night, the pilot and co-pilot were wearing night-vision devices upon takeoff. Typically, night-vision devices, including monocular and binocular variants, severely limit the wearer’s ability to see at short distances.  Neither pilot recognized and removed the NVG case after loading operations were complete or during takeoff."

WashingtonPost article
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
awful fishy story. I work my elevator and rudder on the runway. If they would not function, i would not take off. I know 99.999% pilots do this also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the features of AVS-9 scopes is eye relief giving the ability to look down at gauges and other objects unaided. It even gives relief for the user to wear eyeglasses. Pretty strange occurrence indeed. I have used AVS-9 scopes a lot and you can see a good bit by just looking down.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I read, the pilot was offloading the stuff from the back of the plane at JBAD.After taxing to the ramp to unload, he was pulling back on the stick to raise the elevators on the horizontal stabilizer to provide the ground crews more clearance to unload stuff. It sounds like he got tired of holding back the stick so he wedged a nod case in front of the yoke /stick to keep the elevators up.
He forgot about it which caused the aircraft to pitch up rapidly and stall upon takeoff.

Sounds like bad situational awareness and shortcuts. I'm not a pilot or loadmaster and I wasn't there.
I have taken many flights in and out of of JBAD at night on C130s though and could see something like this happening by taking shortcuts....not sure how much more I can say on a public forum.

Link from AF times
http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/04/18/c-130j-crash-killed-14-caused-forgotten-night-vision-goggle-case/83182244/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you wear NOD on a C130 for takeoff from a known base?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the features of AVS-9 scopes is eye relief giving the ability to look down at gauges and other objects unaided. It even gives relief for the user to wear eyeglasses. Pretty strange occurrence indeed. I have used AVS-9 scopes a lot and you can see a good bit by just looking down.
View Quote

Same here.

I even asked a buddy of mine that flies helos and he never had an issue with peeking below the NVDs to see his gauges.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you wear NOD on a C130 for takeoff from a known base?
View Quote

NOD recert maybe? Or CO scheduled blackout night op training?

Or he wanted to, the same justification I use to walk around in my yard with NODs on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top