Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 1:02:43 PM EDT
Hi all,
Question for any who have tried this:
I have found that running a clip on( KAC UNS-T, for now) in front of my Leupold 3.5-10 or Acog, while giving a pretty good image, is quite front heavy as well as heavy overall once a can, bipod and mag are added. I've toyed around with, but not yet shot, running an Eotech 3x magnifier behind the thermal. This way, the weight is more evenly balanced and it's a lighter overall package. The adjustments on the magnifier allow me to get a very centered view through the thermal even though it sits a bit higher which I was not able to accomplish with an Aimpoint magnifier.
It seems like it would be fairly versatile since I could run it at
1x(magnifier flipped to the side)
2x(mag flipped to side and 2x digital zoom used)
3x(magnifer and no digital zoom)
6x(magnifer and 2x digital zoom.
Thoughts? Experiences?
I still ought to be able to target fox a ways out there and pigs, with a bigger vital zone, even further or more quickly.
TIA
WHBD
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hi all,

Question for any who have tried this:

I have found that running a clip on( KAC UNS-T, for now) in front of my Leupold 3.5-10 or Acog, while giving a pretty good image, is quite front heavy as well as heavy overall once a can, bipod and mag are added. I've toyed around with, but not yet shot, running an Eotech 3x magnifier behind the thermal. This way, the weight is more evenly balanced and it's a lighter overall package. The adjustments on the magnifier allow me to get a very centered view through the thermal even though it sits a bit higher which I was not able to accomplish with an Aimpoint magnifier.

It seems like it would be fairly versatile since I could run it at

1x(magnifier flipped to the side)

2x(mag flipped to side and 2x digital zoom used)

3x(magnifer and no digital zoom)

6x(magnifer and 2x digital zoom.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I still ought to be able to target fox a ways out there and pigs, with a bigger vital zone, even further or more quickly.

TIA

WHBD
View Quote

I think you have too much crap on your rifle.  But I'm a minimalist.  :D

I don't think it will work unless the magnifier is collumnated, which it probably isnt.

Anything you put in front of the red dot must be collumnated or else you will throw POI off unless you are perfectly lined up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Bushman.
Let me rephrase. The thermal can be used as a clip on using the reticle in the scope, RDS, etc. It ALSO has it's own reticle, which I forgot to mention.
SO, what I'm asking about, is using ONLY the thermal and the magnifier and using the magnifier to zoom in on the screen/reticle of the thermal.

I agree, it's a lot of crap. However, I seriously doubt I'd ever opt to not use my can. The bipod is only for predator hunting. As for the mag...well, I like to have follow up shots;)

ETA: It's an Eotech brand magnifier, not a an Eotech and magnifier. As opposed to an Aimpoint brand magnifier which I can't get to line up with the current mount on it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It might not work, the magnifier may not be setup to focus on the screen so close up. Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that it would work that well. Using a magnifier behind the thermal, you are getting the same magnification effect as the digital zoom since you're only magnifying your view of the screen, not what the sensor is getting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think that it would work that well. Using a magnifier behind the thermal, you are getting the same magnification effect as the digital zoom since you're only magnifying your view of the screen, not what the sensor is getting.
View Quote

This.

If you need magnification, use digital mag in the scope.  It is pretty much exactly the same thing as putting a magnifier behind it, but it doesn't add any extra junk to the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top