Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2015 1:23:30 PM EDT
Finally got my hands on an L3 Chrome White Phosphor tube and got a chance to compare it to my regular L3 filmless tube. The specs for each tube are pretty darn close so it should be a good apples-to-apples comparison.

The specs for the green tube:

PC Sensitivity: 2366
Resolution: 64 lp/mm
Signal to Noise Ratio: 33.2
EBI: 0.5
Halo: 0.9

Specs for the Chrome tube:

PC Sensitivity: 2277
Resolution: 64
Signal to Noise Ratio: 32.7
EBI: 0.7
Halo: 0.8

Pictures were taken consecutively with a D750. All settings were the same between tubes for each pair of pictures with the exception of very slight changes in shutter speed for some pictures. For example, the shutter speed on the white tube might be 0.4s vs. 0.6s for the green tube and vice versa. I often take several shots of each seen at slightly different exposure settings. When I go back and review the pictures on my computer I throw out the blurry/crappy ones, and as a result there may be a slight variation in settings among the remaining pictures.

Regular size images and additional pics through the Chrome tube.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Am I the only one around calling him "NV photographer of the year"?

What a nice clean WP tube you got! Ok one more thing in my wish list 2015.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Rich....Not much difference as your specs depict. THANKS for the sky pics as well.  

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks Rich....Not much difference as your specs depict. THANKS for the sky pics as well.  

Vic

Yep. In terms of usefulness I don't see any significant benefit to the WP tube over green filmless. However, in terms of sexiness, the "cool blue" of P45 the "stagnant-pond green" of P43. After spending hundreds of hours staring at a yellow-green phosphor screen, the color of the WP tube is a very refreshing change. At this point, it's too early for me to know to what extent the pleasing image is an inherent benefit of WP vs. how much of it is just because it's new and different.

More sky pics to come! I took gman's advice and ordered a broadband skyglow filter and narrow-band hydrogen alpha filter for my telescope setup so I should be able to get some better views without traveling hundreds of miles away from where I live.

Quoted:

Haha thanks for the compliment and congrats on your first post! I feel honored

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep. In terms of usefulness I don't see any significant benefit to the WP tube over green filmless. However, in terms of sexiness, the "cool blue" of P45 the "stagnant-pond green" of P43. After spending hundreds of hours staring at a yellow-green phosphor screen, the color of the WP tube is a very refreshing change. At this point, it's too early for me to know to what extent the pleasing image is an inherent benefit of WP vs. how much of it is just because it's new and different.

More sky pics to come! I took gman's advice and ordered a broadband skyglow filter and narrow-band hydrogen alpha filter for my telescope setup so I should be able to get some better views without traveling hundreds of miles away from where I live.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Quoted:

Awesome pics! Next on the list would be the red phosphor tubes AA was talking about.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the biggest difference is the slight loss of detail in the shadows. Look at the inside of the left front wheel of the UTV, and the dark areas in the tree line.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very cool Thanks OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very cool Thanks OP.

Quoted:

Awesome pics! Next on the list would be the red phosphor tubes AA was talking about.

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for the Cardinal tubes!

Quoted:
Looks like the biggest difference is the slight loss of detail in the shadows. Look at the inside of the left front wheel of the UTV, and the dark areas in the tree line.

The picture with the UTV is the one with the different shutter speeds (WP: 0.4 sec, Green: 0.6 sec) which probably obscures some of the detail in the darker areas. Also, the black dog is standing in front of the wheel in the WP picture.

Here's a short video of him riding on the front:

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, where can you get one? (Especially with specs that good)
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#9]
So peanut butter and jelly! Excellent pics once again. Did you use the same D3200 setup for these as well?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, I agree and do not want to derail your great pic thread with this debate. Seems on another site an Arm Chair warrior claims the new Crane study of 80deg FOV goggles are the reason WPT are now all of sudden superior over green.  Funny how the guys who never ever gotten shot at or shot at someone know what's REALLY effective and what isn't!  

What you will find, it's more pleasing to the eye over loooong periods of viewing which is why many in the Mil circles like it when glassing for long periods of time with less eye fatigue.  If that's what some call a "tactical advantage" because it's more comfortable on your eyes, so be it. But all specs equal as you depicted  (you can plainly see with your outstanding pics), there is NO distinct differences in PID of shadow contrasting differences, etc that one technology is dramatically superior over the other.
View Quote

No worries! I love debate. Sometimes I think there should be more of it on these forums. Diversity of opinion provides opportunity for learning, as long as it stays reasonably on topic. The question of whether one phosphor color provides a tactical advantage over another is definitely relevant to the discussion and all input is welcome.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. You will not be disappointed. IMO, H-Alpha is the name of the game for Gen3 intensified astronomy. I can't wait to see what pics come out of some of these amazing tubes you have...

G.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I second this! I love how much time Rich takes to get high quality pictures for us.

But he IS Asian, I think he was born with a camera in his hand.

Hahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So peanut butter and jelly! Excellent pics once again. Did you use the same D3200 setup for these as well?
View Quote

Thanks! i recently upgraded to a D750. Great camera! Held onto the D3200 as a backup and for taking simultaneous footage through two devices.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Notice anything major between the two in regards to NV pics? Your filmless film session pics moved me to start shopping for a camera and the D3200 was one of them. I'm also stealing your washer adapter idea
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Haha! Not sure what Rich born with, but for Rich junior, whoa! He/she definitely born with something serious!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Some more photos:

P43 vs. P45

Orion Nebula:

Horsehead Nebula:

Flame Nebula:

California Nebula:

North America Nebula:

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
You are now officially who I want to be when I grow up. Were you using a telescope for the top pics, and what was it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Those pics look like H-Alpha, did you use an H-Alpha on those?

G.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are now officially who I want to be when I grow up. Were you using a telescope for the top pics, and what was it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol, don't let the rental car fool you. My life can be summed up pretty well with this picture:

Except with NODS

Yea, most of the sky pictures are through the telescope - Orion Apex 102mm with NVDepot Micro

The top picture is the Orion Nebula

Quoted:
This one looks like another planet

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5646/20840927952_2ed028a5a3_c.jpg

Haha yea it does, especially with the rounded-looking edges.

Quoted:
Those pics look like H-Alpha, did you use an H-Alpha on those?

G.

Yep. I need to get an EQ mount so I can take some longer exposures. You can see the stretched and blurred stars from the earth's rotation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't let Rich fool you. He is one of the coolest guys I know. Also, little known fact is that he loves other people's selfies.
Just for you Rich.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Well in that case, hi Rich!

" />
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't let Rich fool you. He is one of the coolest guys I know. Also, little known fact is that he loves other people's selfies.
Just for you Rich.

<a href="http://s91.photobucket.com/user/MrPlayer/media/image.jpg1_zpscjdu2k92.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/MrPlayer/image.jpg1_zpscjdu2k92.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just for you Rich.

<a href="http://s91.photobucket.com/user/MrPlayer/media/image.jpg1_zpscjdu2k92.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k281/MrPlayer/image.jpg1_zpscjdu2k92.jpg</a>

Lol, I think what Shane meant to say was that Shane loves selfies. I heard he's working on a NV selfie-stick camera adapter. Look out for it Shot Show 2016. Nice MOD-3!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lol, I think what Shane meant to say was that Shane loves selfies. I heard he's working on a NV selfie-stick camera adapter. Look out for it Shot Show 2016. Nice MOD-3!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just for you Rich.

Shhhhhh, you weren't supposed to tell anyone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep. I need to get an EQ mount so I can take some longer exposures. You can see the stretched and blurred stars from the earth's rotation.
View Quote

Nice pics!!

I told you so man, you need a good EQ mount if you like doing some cool stuff with it :D

G.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Not to add more to your plate, but what about IR lights and lasers with the WP?  
May seem stupid, but how does it change the image? Make your eyes go or very pleasant?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not to add more to your plate, but what about IR lights and lasers with the WP?  
May seem stupid, but how does it change the image? Make your eyes go or very pleasant?
View Quote

Shouldn't be any different than with green phosphor. All the rest is the same, just the output is of different color.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top