Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 5:01:22 PM EDT
The XR5 and Omni VII tubes are both installed in PVS-7 housings so the images between the two are directly comparable. The L3 filmless tube is in a Micro housing with Envis objective and is therefore much easier to take pictures with.

Specs for the XR5:

PC Sensitivity: 761
Resolution: 78 lp/mm
SNR: 23.2
EBI: 0.25 ulx

Minimum Specs for Omni VII MX-10130's (F9810VG)

PC Sensitivity: 2000
Resolution: 64 lp/mm
SNR: 25
EBI: 2.5
Halo: 1

Specs for L3 Filmless:

PC Sensitivity: 2366
Resolution: 64 lp/mm
SNR: 33.2
EBI: 0.5
Halo: 0.9

Omni VII

XR5

L3 Filmless

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dam son, you sure do take some good pictures.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dam son, you sure do take some good pictures.
View Quote

Haha thanks man
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
can you get a photo of the l3 filmless with some bright lights in the background like you have on the other 2 tubes so we can compare the halo sizes?

i think i like the XR5 the best for visual quality, but the filmless certainly has the best light amplification because it pretty much removes the shadows.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice Rich, thanks!

I thought XR5 was an MX-10160 format? I thought it was XD-4 the MX-10130 equivalent, can you explain?

Perhaps taking a few pics of the tubes in really dark areas? Like in a park in the middle of nowhere where there is nothing but starlight? Its clear to me that these L3 Filmless are the best; you can also tell the XR5 isn't very sensitive to IR light because the foliage that looks almost white on the Gen3s its just a tad brighter on the XR5...

G.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Man dat lowlight...

You can tell it doesn't really stack up in those low light conditions. It seems to hang everywhere else, but does struggle a bit in lowlight. The filmless look really good! Even in those pics, you can see extra detail in just about every condition, really wish I could get a look through some filmless & especially WP filmless

Fun fact, it seems Photonis is bring Intens tubes to the states through DEP Technologies in 16mm & 18mm tube formats.

http://soldiersystems.net/tag/photonis-usa/
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome pictures - thank you - :)

David.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice !  Thanks for the comparison pics.

The L3 unit kicks butt.

The L3 has very nice low light gain with the clarity of the XR5 tube.

Some mod3's with the L3 tubes would kick butt!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:29:58 AM EDT
[#8]
XR5 is pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
can you get a photo of the l3 filmless with some bright lights in the background like you have on the other 2 tubes so we can compare the halo sizes?

i think i like the XR5 the best for visual quality, but the filmless certainly has the best light amplification because it pretty much removes the shadows.
View Quote

This please, why for you no show streetlights with filmless?  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Haha. I hadn't decided to include the filmless tube in the comparison until after I had already taken the halo pics. Looks like I also forgot to include the halo spec for the filmless tube! - (0.9). I will add some halo pics when I get a chance. I do have some bright-light pictures and video that I took last night with a different filmless tube (L3 Infinity installed in a clip-on).

Distance to the car is 125 yards:

Video through Vortex Razor 1-6:

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the photos rich, was having a little fun with ya but really appreciate the time you took to get the comparison shots you already have up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the photos rich, was having a little fun with ya but really appreciate the time you took to get the comparison shots you already have up.
View Quote

No worries I've been meaning to do a halo comparison for a while, EBI too! If I had one complaint with Omni VII tubes is they generally seem to have a pretty high EBI.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No worries I've been meaning to do a halo comparison for a while, EBI too! If I had one complaint with Omni VII tubes is they generally seem to have a pretty high EBI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree with this. My Omni IV tube has very little EBI... all my 7s are terrible... one is probably as close to the max they allowed for passing MILSPECS...

G.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have to agree with this. My Omni IV tube has very little EBI... all my 7s are terrible... one is probably as close to the max they allowed for passing MILSPECS...

G.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.

I think I'm going to try your freezer test and see how it affects performance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top