Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2015 2:40:44 PM EDT
Night Defender 1 Write Up Here.

TNVC conducted their Night Defender 2 class on 25/26 April 2015 at the Telluric Group facility in Brunswick, GA.

This is short course review not to serve as a replacement for training, but rather give prospective students a better idea of what the class offers.

Official course announcement here. Future dates are in September.

Telluric Group is located right off of I-95. Plenty of lodging and food are close by, literally all within walking distance.

Night before the class:

Class (DAY 1)
Class consisted of 5 students,down 1 from the last class (ND 1)
Instructors was John L. (TG).
Saturday class was about 25% classroom and 75% exercise/ range time

Classroom topics consisted of:

• Review of Low Light Principles

• Review of Light and Noise Discipline

• Review of limitations

• Handgun Employment Considerations

Exercise/ Range

We then moved to the live fire range and zero'd IR lasers. We used the most excellent Telluric Group IR Laser Zero Targets. .

After we were zerod' we ran some carbine drills, refreshing ourselves to the ND1 training. Pistol shooting and transitions were then covered and practiced.

Upon completion of the live fire portion we returned to the shoothouse and went over room clearing/ implementation of white lights, and concluded with FOF training.

Class (DAY 2)
Day 2 started out in the shoothouse and we completed the obstacle course to acclimate us to moving and operating under night vision and full kit. (Again, if anyone can hook me up with how to prevent ARFcom's image server from rotating images 90 degrees that would be great)

Transitioning back to the shoothouse we worked on more transition work, white light implementation with weapons and culminated in some timed stress shoots.

At this point live fire was completed and we transitioned off to UTM marker rounds. Several evolutions of stress shoots with a partner, room clearing exercises ("You know why you deserved to die?"- I am totally making this patch a reality).

After UTM was completed students completed one more section of training that we are swore to secrecy about. Sorry dudes.

Diplomas were awarded, hands were shaken and we all departed to the four corners of the world.

My gear:

Helmet Setup:
TW Exfil Carbon
TNV-14 CommSpec w/ Phokus Hoplite
INVG Mount
Princeton Tec MPLS Switch
Sordins w/ the excellent Iron Forged Concepts SARA's. These made life much, much easier than the last class.

Carbine:
SBR w/ Daniel Defense 12.5" upper. Lite Rail.
IKH SLAP Plate
AAC Mini 4 Silencer w/ 51T FH
BFG Padded VCAS
LMT SOPMOD
ATPIAL-C Laser/ Illuminator
SF X300
Aimpoint T2 in a Scalarworks LDM.

Blaster:
Glock 17 with slide milled by Spartan Gun Works in Dawsonville, GA
Trijicon Suppressor height night sights
Trijicon RMR06 (Adjustable intensity)
SF X300V
Safariland ALS 6350DO to fit the G17 w/ RMR and X300V

Handheld Light:
SF P3X Fury- If you are going to buy one of these get the Tactical Model. I didn't and am correcting that ASAP. 1000 lumens is awesome but first stage is like 15 and a disappointment.

Notes:
I have had prior NV experience over the past 3 years working various events partnered with TNVC. Throw in a couple additional low light classes where I wore NV once it went dark. I did attend ND1 in February of this year and it is a prerequisite for ND2.
My carbine set up was similar to what I ran last class, mainly just switching over to a dedicated 5.56 gun. I ran the excellent ATPIAL and an X300 for white light. I think that a SF Fury Scout might be a better option but the X300 worked for the class.

UTM Notes:
For the UTM section you need at least a 5.56 upper. I ran a .300 BLK in the last class but transitioned over to a 5.56 gun for this class. Well, after the .22 extractor exploded that is.

Overall Takeaway:
John was a consummate professional with vast real world experience. He was exceptional in his presentation of the course material and went over the top demonstrating all the skills and techniques of the class. I am very grateful to have been able to attend this class and am looking forward to attending additional TG/ TNVC classes. If they handed out PHD's in CQB John should have one. I'd be lucky to apply for a GED. This class was one of the more humbling I have taken. I beat myself up pretty hard and if I was pissed off at anything/anyone it was myself.

This class made me a better shooter and a more conscious member of society. I see a lot of things differently now.

I said it in the last write up and I will say it again: All those that are serious about personal defense and own NV are doing a disservice to themselves by not taking this class.

For those interested in taking this series as of 4/29/15 there appear to be two spots left in the May 2/3 class. Link. Nomenclature for the classes is Night Defender= Armed Civilian Night Operator= Military/ LE.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help you with a fix for the 90 degree pic thing but another great thread by you. Thanks  

Curious, was any of the "live" fire shoot house work conducted with a partner or was it all solo?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Very sad I missed this class.
I will be in the next one for sure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent review.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't help you with a fix for the 90 degree pic thing but another great thread by you. Thanks  

Curious, was any of the "live" fire shoot house work conducted with a partner or was it all solo?
View Quote

One of the UTM drills was run with a partner. And some of the FOF was run in Pairs. This wasn't really a team tactics class, but that would be something that I think would be a great offering at TG.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm really kicking myself for missing the class in February. I am kicking myself even more after reading this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the review and your attendance. It's just great to see guys getting trained up with NOD's and even better when we see 2nd timers go to the next level.  There is so much more to it than just throwing a battery in and go at it. Glad to you took away with more knowledge as well that you can bring back for your home defense roles that helps tremendously.

Vic
View Quote

Thanks to you Vic and all your crew. Without you guys these classes would probably not exist at the level or scope that they do now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top