Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2015 11:21:00 PM EDT
Crossposted from the WV HTF to try and get a bigger audience among like minded folks.

Alert from WVCDL

Night Vision Ban!

Own night vision?

Thinking about owning night vision? Well, the state apparently does not want you to. But they're not going so far as to just ban night vision. They only want to ban it if you happen to have a firearm.

Night vision is very expensive, and extremely useful technology. It gives the night back to mankind. You can use it in a million ways to do a million things in the dark, that you could never before do.

Have you ever looked at the stars with quality night vision? Trust me, the view is stunning.

This bill is guised as a "poaching" bill. But we know better. We can tell because hunting deer at night is already illegal. This is about discouraging the use of night vision among gun owners..

I promise you, if you're using night vision for whatever reason, and happen to have your concealed carry firearm on you, DNR, or WVSP, or whomever the arresting agency is will very much appreciate your gift to them. Because they'll confiscate that night vision right along with your handgun.

Remember, this is not about hunting or poaching. Because hunting at night is already illegal. They don't need an extra section in the law. This is about denying you modern defensive technology.

There are bills in both houses, and they are poised to run.

Call delegate Allen Evans (R-Grant) at (304) 340-3399, AND send him an email at [email protected]. Remind him that hunting at night is already illegal, and ask him to kill HB2420.

Also call deleate Bill Hamilton (R-Upshur) at (304) 340-3167, and email him at [email protected]. He co-chairs the committee.

Then call and email Senator Robert Karnes (R - Upshur), remind him the same, and ask him to kill SB278. His number is (304) 357-7906 and his email is [email protected]
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh those silly protectors of the common folk are at it again!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is the text of the bill, for reference.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_text.cfm?billdoc=hb2420%20intr.htm&yr=2015&sesstype=RS&i=2420

(3) Make use of, or take advantage of, any artificial light or any night vision technology, including, but not limited to, image intensification, thermal imaging and active illumination, in hunting, locating, attracting, taking, trapping or killing any wild bird or wild animal, or to attempt to do so, while having in his or her possession or subject to his or her control, or for any person accompanying him or her to have in his or her possession or subject to his or her control, any firearm, whether cased or uncased, bow, arrow, or both, or other implement or device suitable for taking, killing or trapping a wild bird or animal: Provided, That it is lawful to hunt or take coyote, fox, raccoon, opossum or skunk by the use of artificial light or night vision technology subject to the restrictions set forth in this subdivision. No person is guilty of a violation of this subdivision merely because he or she looks for, looks at, attracts or makes motionless a wild bird or wild animal with or by the use of an artificial light or night vision technology, unless at the time he or she has in his or her possession a firearm, whether cased or uncased, bow, arrow, or both, or other implement or device suitable for taking, killing or trapping a wild bird or wild animal, or unless the artificial light (other than the head lamps of an automobile or other land conveyance) or night vision technology is attached to, a part of or used from within or upon an automobile or other land conveyance.
View Quote

NOTE: The purpose of this bill is to prohibit the use of night vision technology and drones or other unmanned aerial vehicles for the hunting or taking of wildlife.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
As a proud American I just hate when the "Illuminati"  try to tell me what I need to be doing... Is this the U.S.A or the U.S.S.R?

I want to own night vision, and I want to own a freaking Minigun if I choose to; so if the zombies come at night I can mow them down at 5000 rounds per minute...

What the heck?

G.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Same stupid law exists in MO.  No night vision or thermal while in possession of a firearm.  Who in going to go out in the dark WITHOUT a firearm?  When I go out on my farm in MO, I'm thinking of taking a big can of bear spray at least.  Wouldn't want to run into a Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Coyote, or Feral Hog with nothing to defend myself.  Sad how most Natural Resource departments have been taken over by computer game playing idiocrats who don't have a clue about that which they make decisions about, and get paid for their services by the anti's and insurance companies (CWD).
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up on this! I live in WV and own night vision equipment , have firearms and have my CCL. Therefore all of these issues are important to me. Thanks for the listed contacts, I will be getting in touch with them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Ban all the things.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#7]
So apparently in West Virginia you still can use NV to do some hunting.

West Virginia

Night Hunting: Allowed, night hunting is allowed for coyote using amber or red-colored artificial light during the legal night season. Hunting coyotes at night is legal from January 1 thru July 31.
Night Vision: Allowed, not listed as a prohibited device per the WV 2010-2011 Hunting & Trapping Guide. Verified by WV Division of Natural Resources.
Phone: 304-558-2771
View Quote

Seems like they want to make the law the same as PA's restrictictions.

PA:
Night Vision: Not Allowed, According to our Bureau of Wildlife Protection, night vision devices are specifically prohibited for hunting anything in Pennsylvania under the general prohibition against Electronic Contrivances as contained in Title 58 section 141.6 Illegal Devices subsection (6) Hunt or take wildlife through the use of an electronic device not permitted by commission regulation.
View Quote

I hope that this doesn't happen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
God Bless Texas...../that is all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
lol, yea, I wonder if the game commission might change their minds though if we ended up to our eyeballs in feral hogs and coywolves.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The liberal-progressive sickness is leaking out of NY and into PA.

Feral pigs starting to pop up in NYS... state government bans hog hunting, only NYS DEC employees and the assembly's preferred contractor-crooks are professional enough to shoot hogs and other pest animals.

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea, sounds familiar.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hunting-fishing/2008/11/30/Municipalities-face-decision-regarding-too-many-deer-few-solutions/stories/200811300247

Three highly populated Allegheny County municipalities -- Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel -- received deer control permits from the Game Commission, permitting them to hire sharpshooters to cull deer. The U.S. Department of Agriculture provides shooters (they're not considered sport hunters) equipped with night-vision goggles, rifles with silencers and low-charge ammunition. The Game Commission logs those deer, too, and venison is supplied to local food banks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, if this gets out of committee make sure to bump this thread and I will join in on a firemission.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Who authored the bill?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^ This

TEXAS.....Where a free man can hunt animals in the dark wearing NV,  a thermal monocular hanging from his neck and a full auto suppressed  M16  with a 100 round Surefire magazine is carried in his hands. What Liberal wreck of a state is it where this is not allowed......

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
^^^ This  

TEXAS.....Where a free man can hunt animals in the dark wearing NV,  a thermal monocular hanging from his neck and a full auto suppressed  M16  with a 100 round Surefire magazine is carried in his hands. What Liberal wreck of a state is it where this is not allowed......

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^ This  

Do you guys take refugees from Michigan?

G.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes they do but there is a 40 day quarantine to make sure you are not 'infected' if you come from an at-risk state!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#17]
so i use night vision Tech in my gametrail cameras...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Well hell.  WV is among my options for an upcoming move, and while NV is not going to be a deciding factor in that move - I will be watching and following this closely.  

When is this supposed to be decided on?  

Being not terribly familiar with WV's laws vis-a-vis shooting and night vision - just for clarification, the language of the bill (regardless of the implied and/or perceived intent) seems not to limit, as the "headline" would seem to declare, that WV is making possession of, as in ownership, both firearms and night vision illegal - but only making changes to the hunting laws, and what and when someone may have NV while hunting?

I realize, of course, that there are broader implications to this, including proving exactly what it is that you were doing in the woods with a gun and a NV if you weren't hunting, but I'm just trying to clarify what this really means.  

Are you allowed to shoot - target shoot that is, with NV on private property and/or ranges (if allowed)?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes they do but there is a 40 day quarantine to make sure you are not 'infected' if you come from an at-risk state!
View Quote

40 days??
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
NV is an abomination as are flashlights!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, lets ban flashlights too!! we don't need no stinking flashlights either...
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who authored the bill?

View Quote

Delegates Hamilton, A. Evans, Romine, Lynch, Border, Statler, Ambler, Guthrie, L. Phillips and Eldridge

Doesn't say what party they are, but doesn't matter - they're pond scum.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, lets ban flashlights too!! we don't need no stinking flashlights either...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's in there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's in there.

Ouch
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Oregon has pretty effectively outlawed NV hunting, and they even updated lately to get around head-mounted NV used with lasers, which until the change was made would have allowed the first guy arrested for it to get away with that setup, maybe.
I don't hunt at night anyway but don't have anything against it. I have everything including silencers to do it without bothering the neighbors at 0300, too. I can't say if daytime hunting with a thermal scope is lawful here, because I haven't looked. I wouldn't doubt it though.

Seems to me that even in big game shotgun-only hunt states, crowded places with limited seeing distances, a decent laser and head-mounted NV or a thermal sight would be as safe as day hunts. Especially considering the personal markers that guys can wear in lieu of an orange vest, and considering that hunters and everyone else can get their ass sued off for shooting Farmer Pennington's cow or barn, still need permission at private property, are responsible for correctly sexing their game, still have to stop at inspection stations (if any), etc.

The migratory birds might be next to impossible to correctly ID in NV or thermal. All I know is I can't do it in daylight, and I have seen the goose ID movie so many times while teaching Hunter Ed that I memorized the script. So I don't hunt birds like those. Hogs are a different matter. So are many other animals. Day OR night.

I have seen here several accounts of night hunts that were interrupted by Game Officers who lit up hunters with a IR flashlight and checked them out. Those game cops could work with night hunters to devise simple and safe methods of signalling and contacting hunters to get their jobs done and codify it into law. Just like drivers, when the cop's roof lights up and you try to evade, it's a crime.

I am not a cop any more. I retired after 30 years.  But when I was a cop, I valued the dark when I smelled danger. I wish I had had NV equipment then that was as good as EveryMan can buy now. Now that EveryMan CAN and often DOES have NV and thermal gear, it is simply an obvious clue that cops continue to waste budget money on some wrong things and have left their guys feeling vulnerable in the dark. That's not our problem. That's THEIR problem to solve. But it never works out that way, does it? Answer: No.

In Oregon, on average, it's dark half the time. When it is dark it's even less free than when it's light, and that daylight freedom is pretty puny these days. Ain't it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I take it hogs haven't invaded WV like they have Texas and other states in the union.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a small amount of them all the way up here in southwestern New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#28]
From WVCDL: 278 passed the Senate 32-2. This is basically now a crossbow hunting bill. The night vision and drone concerns have all been fixed. Senator Robert Karnes, once again, accomplishes good things for West Virginia shooters and hunters.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_history.cfm?INPUT=278&year=2015&sessiontype=RS
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
From WVCDL: 278 passed the Senate 32-2. This is basically now a crossbow hunting bill. The night vision and drone concerns have all been fixed. Senator Robert Karnes, once again, accomplishes good things for West Virginia shooters and hunters.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/Bill_Status/bills_history.cfm?INPUT=278&year=2015&sessiontype=RS
View Quote

That's great news! It's refreshing to see SOME politicians fight for our rights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top