Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 7:02:14 PM EDT
Hey gents my PVS-14 which is a few years old now but has few hours on it has started making a buzzing noise when I turn it on. It sounds a lot like a mosquito flying by your ear. I cannot recall it ever doing this before. Is my unit damaged or is this a non-issue. I've had probably 5 or 6 of this type of optic issued to me and I've never had this happen. I also worked in my units armory before and can not recall ever hearing 1 out of 200+ units making the noise. I searched and read that either it is the autogation or a bad power supply. Both comments came from TNVC employees and was on this forum. BTW, the noise stops a few seconds after it turns on.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey gents my PVS-14 which is a few years old now but has few hours on it has started making a buzzing noise when I turn it on. It sounds a lot like a mosquito flying by your ear. I cannot recall it ever doing this before. Is my unit damaged or is this a non-issue. I've had probably 5 or 6 of this type of optic issued to me and I've never had this happen. I also worked in my units armory before and can not recall ever hearing 1 out of 200+ units making the noise. I searched and read that either it is the autogation or a bad power supply. Both comments came from TNVC employees and was on this forum. BTW, the noise stops a few seconds after it turns on.

View Quote

My autogated L3 MX-10160 tube does the same thing: it whines for less than a second or so after I power it up, then it goes silent. Could be different temperature as well...

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The whine is the autogate.

My ITT unit from TNVC buzzes too, at first I never noticed it because I was always in the woods with wildlife covering the noise.
In a dead silent room I can hear it.

No biggie, carry on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
PVS 15s at work do that. We run alkaline batteries when it's cold to mitigate this some
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you just notice it, or did it just start?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
It just started. Could be my room was really cold yesterday though. I warmed it up and the unit still made the sound but it was significantly less noticeable. I appreciate the comments guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top