Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 11:39:01 PM EDT
Got a 3X magnifier today and tried it out tonight...looks real nice through my PVS-7 and seems like it will be useful for shooting with a laser.  What is the preferred technique for using these?  I'm guessing you wait until you get to a stationary spot to put it on?  Walking around with it on seems counter-productive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got a 3X magnifier today and tried it out tonight...looks real nice through my PVS-7 and seems like it will be useful for shooting with a laser.  What is the preferred technique for using these?  I'm guessing you wait until you get to a stationary spot to put it on?  Walking around with it on seems counter-productive.
View Quote

What do you mean technique? To do what? For stargazing you simply screw into the lens and sit in your chair... for walking around... then you probably don't want a 3X zoom on both eyes...

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
lol, yea, just keep it in the pouch and walk up to where you want to observe, then just pop on the 3x while stationary.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have mine on a paracord necklace now after seeing a pic here of a similar setup.  Lift and use when needed (I usually use the friction fit adapter) then let it hang when not needed.  You can remove the objective lens cover entirely so you don't have to mess with it each time
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have mine on a paracord necklace now after seeing a pic here of a similar setup.  Lift and use when needed (I usually use the friction fit adapter) then let it hang when not needed.  You can remove the objective lens cover entirely so you don't have to mess with it each time
View Quote

So thats what the hell that thing is.  I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about a 3X magnifier in the military so I'm learning as I go.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The friction fit adapter is a bonus because it makes it really fast and easy to put the 3x on and take off too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Never used one when active.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

You mean the 3x attachment at all?  Or the friction fit adapter?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both for me, I didn't even know these things existed.  I can't remember ever inventorying any either...and I did a lot of inventories.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
That's interesting, I'm surprised you guys didn't get to use them in the field and didn't know about them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Both for me, I didn't even know these things existed.  I can't remember ever inventorying any either...and I did a lot of inventories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are pretty nice little lenses.  When used with a good IR illuminator, they make a great identification tool.  They also make a 5x version that is MUCH more expensive.  I had a 5x for a couple years but never actually used it as much as the 3x so I wound up selling it.  The really great thing about the 3x is how cheap you can get them these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's interesting, I'm surprised you guys didn't get to use them in the field and didn't know about them.
View Quote

There is no point to them. We had them and never used them.

Night engagement ranges are fairly short.
Using them for security is pointless since your either A) In the woods or B) on top of a hill/mountain and you can see things coming from far away.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Understood, I can see your point.

I like using the 3x for star gazing, if you have an IR illuminator it's good to see out a little further if watching for animals.  They are pretty nifty for civvie use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Using them for security is pointless since your either A) In the woods or B) on top of a hill/mountain and you can see things coming from far away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used one quite often, but mostly for static, elevated observation. Your task ends up dictating whether it's useful or not. I can see where most would get a whole lot of use out of them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I used one quite often, but mostly for static, elevated observation. Your task ends up dictating whether it's useful or not. I can see where most would get a whole lot of use out of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I needed to see farther than what my unmagnified NVGs were good at I went to something that was better. Such as a PAS-13, CLU, ITAS or LRAS
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
lol, I can't blame you for going to milspec thermal systems for long range detection when you had that kind of capability at hand.  That's awesome!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I needed to see farther than what my unmagnified NVGs were good at I went to something that was better. Such as a PAS-13, CLU, ITAS or LRAS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, you will see some of the funniest, nastiest stuff with an ITAS (never used an LRAS).
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
This is how you use the 3X magnifiers...

Bino-ed Pitbulls in binocular arrangement.

The best there is for stargazing... :) okay, it could be better if I had two Filmless tubes in there... but for me is the best I can muster right now... :)

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
That is a nice setup Gman, some of us just get bit by the night vision bug, but some of you guys ate that bug.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is a nice setup Gman, some of us just get bit by the night vision bug, but some of you guys ate that bug.
View Quote

Hey, thanks! The "buy once, cry once" argument that floats around here kinda resonated, so I figured might as well get the bug out the system as fast as possible; I'll be set for any NV needs for at least the next decade... I might upgrade tubes down the road, but unless I need to part with anything due to financial constraints, everything I have is a keeper.

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, thanks! The "buy once, cry once" argument that floats around here kinda resonated, so I figured might as well get the bug out the system as fast as possible; I'll be set for any NV needs for at least the next decade... I might upgrade tubes down the road, but unless I need to part with anything due to financial constraints, everything I have is a keeper.

G.
View Quote

That's a good way of looking at it, I have 5 year plans and tend to upgrade the night vision then.  Resisting the urge to upgrade sooner is the hard part.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Took a pic of mine at the request of another arfcommer.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/cake5150/20150117_163749_zpsc9f37c86.jpg
View Quote

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Used my 3X mag for the first time with the friction mount tonight and its the way to go.  I need to make a lanyard as pictured above.  First time shooting with my PVS7's and managed to get my IR laser zero'd at 25 meters.  Am going to go back and refine my zero/try it out to 100 meters sometime soon.  Going to take some steel out as well so I know when I hit.  Maybe some type of reflective tape as well, still figuring things out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

could you take a close up of the attachment point on the magnifier? I really like the idea, would love to copy it if that's alright by you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

could you take a close up of the attachment point on the magnifier? I really like the idea, would love to copy it if that's alright by you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure thing.  I used two heavy-ish duty zip ties (the thicker ones) to make the attachment point.  One zip tie fits into the rearmost channel machined into the lens housing with another zip tie running under it.  Then just pick a lanyard.  I used to use the lanyard that came with my Surefire M1 like nine years ago but I lost that on a hunting trip so I bought a cheap paracord lanyard off eBay and gave it a new clip.  I removed the friction fit adapter to allow an unobstructed view.  It's was cheap and a fun DIY project while watching TV

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top