Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 9:30:04 PM EDT
I made the jump into NV by going straight for a self assembled pvs-14, maybe not the brightest move but hopefully it all pans out.

The tube I purchased was sold as an ITT MX-11769, but doesn't have the normal stickers I see on a lot of the other tubes. So first off can anyone help me understand what I have based on the numbers on the tube (they are molded into the plastic, not on stickers)
ITT 272867-9-039 S/N340112 DC0736

Please help, and thanks

Also, the "lens?" portion of the tube closest to the eye seems to be smudged, is it something I should attempt to clean, and if so, how?

edit: I'm in contact with ITT hoping they can give me some info, but after googling around I think this is an autogated pinnacle. Other 272867-9 tubes seem to be identified as such, with a build date of late august 2007. Hopefully ITT will be able to set me 100% straight

2nd edit: Don't have my DSLR on me, here's some crappy phone pics, the gain ribbon seems to be different than most I've seen, no markings and different caps or resistors (whatever they are)

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
To clean a smudged tube:

Use compressed air to blow anything large that might've adhered to the surface. (both sides)
Q-tips with rubbing alcohol. Start from the dead center of the window and go in larger concentric circles until you reach the end.
Use another dry Q-tip to clean the rubbing alcohol residue.
Blow compressed air once more and you're good to go. Try not to reuse the Q-tip after its been used.

G.

Quoted:
I made the jump into NV by going straight for a self assembled pvs-14, maybe not the brightest move but hopefully it all pans out.

The tube I purchased was sold as an ITT MX-11769, but doesn't have the normal stickers I see on a lot of the other tubes. So first off can anyone help me understand what I have based on the numbers on the tube (they are molded into the plastic, not on stickers)
ITT 272867-9-039 S/N340112 DC0736

In a thread I made about a week ago I erroneously purchased a build kit without the proper research, luckily the guys at summit night vision kindly refunded me without any hassle.

So pending info on the actual tube (which hopefully someone can help me ID) I'm looking for some help finding a build/shell kit. In the above thread someone mentioned legit ITT PVS-14 shells for $600, but I never found out where to make the purchase.
What I'd like to do:
PVS-14 body
Ability to mount to a helmet (probably the peltor, unless someone else has a good budget alternative, how are those ebay airsoft fast helmets?)
Ability to mount behind a RDS on a pic rail with 1/3 cowitness, being able to leave a qd mount on the pvs-14 while it is attached to the helmet would be very nice

Please help, and thanks

Also, the "lens?" portion of the tube closest to the eye seems to be smudged, is it something I should attempt to clean, and if so, how?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FleaBay
View Quote

for about $100 more I can get a kit that comes with a helmet and weapon mount

Id rather have QD for the weapon, and if there is a cheap way to mount directly to a helmet like the peltor I'd rather go that route. That said, think that is worth the extra $100? I'm still hoping to find the $600 housing someone spoke of
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Id rather have QD for the weapon, and if there is a cheap way to mount directly to a helmet like the peltor I'd rather go that route. That said, think that is worth the extra $100? I'm still hoping to find the $600 housing someone spoke of
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FleaBay

Not seeing the helmet in that kit, and that weapon mount is routinely available on the EE for ~$30, though it's generally garbage and is the first thing to get tossed after the skull-crusher and J-arm.  

However, if you're really in a penny-pinching mode and don't want to spring for an NV helmet that's probably your best bet if you want something new.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not seeing the helmet in that kit, and that weapon mount is routinely available on the EE for ~$30, though it's generally garbage and is the first thing to get tossed after the skull-crusher and J-arm.  

However, if you're really in a penny-pinching mode and don't want to spring for an NV helmet that's probably your best bet if you want something new.
View Quote

Should have read helmet mount and weapon mount instead of helmet and weapon mount.
That kind of answers my question, if the helmet mount and weapon mount in that suck I mine as well save the $100 and buy good mounts from the get go.

Is there a budget friendly way to mount a pvs-14 to the Pro Tec A Bravo? (3rd one down)

edited for clarity
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there a budget friendly way to mount a pvs-14 to the Pro Tec A Bravo (3rd one down)
View Quote

Well, here's the thing. To get that helmet pre-drilled with rails and velcro is $75. Then you're going to need a quality shroud, which will set you back nearly as much. The PTB helmet is not very comfortable and I don't think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Spend another $75 on top of the PTB+Shroud and get, at the very least, an Ops Core Base Jump, which comes with the rails, shroud, and Velcro and is MUCH more comfortable. If you really want to swing for the fences, spend $300 and get the TW LTP.

I would recommend a Crye NightCap with Wilcox shroud ($160 total from TNVC) over the PT Bravo -- All. Day. Long.

ETA: Alternatively, if you do go with the PT helmet, IM me and I'll send you a ratchet-mount shroud. I have a bunch of them kicking around. They're made for ACH helmets, but should be easily adaptable to most any bump or ballistic helmet.

Lastly, you could look on FleaBay for used ACH ballistics with shrouds. I've seen them go for under $200.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I really appreciate all the info horta, but I think I am starting to get off track, I want to the get the device in working order before I really start to worry about more accessories. I will definitely be picking your brain again when the time comes, but I think for now we have discerned that I should not buy the crappy mounts, and just go for the base pvs-14 kit, so that's definitely a step in the right direction. And like I said I am not trying to disregard your knowledge or input, but sidebar it until the time is right.

that ebay listing ended, but this looks to be the the same thing for $650, would you jump?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really appreciate all the info horta, but I think I am starting to get off track, I want to the get the device in working order before I really start to worry about more accessories. I will definitely be picking your brain again when the time comes, but I think for now we have discerned that I should not buy the crappy mounts, and just go for the base pvs-14 kit, so that's definitely a step in the right direction. And like I said I am not trying to disregard your knowledge or input, but sidebar it until the time is right.

that ebay listing ended, but this looks to be the the same thing for $650, would you jump?
View Quote

Definitely! That's a good price and you can be certain that you will be getting a real pvs14 housing. Rich is a great guy!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Definitely! That's a good price and you can be certain that you will be getting a real pvs14 housing. Rich is a great guy!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true, Rich is a great guy!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is true, Rich is a great guy!
View Quote

I was able to talk both Rich and another seller into a good price for the pvs-14 (housing), and if my tube ends up being dead they both agreed I could return for a refund, provided I pay return shipping. Unfortunately Rich was going to be at Shot this week, which gave the other seller a bit of an edge, as I want to assemble ASAP. I take personal recommendations pretty highly though, and decided to go with Rich. I paid him and just told him to ship it out when he got a chance next week.

He decides it's a better idea to tear down one of a few new PVS-14 builds hes bringing to shot so he can ship me a housing tomorrow, jeeze. Def earned my business, thanks for the recommendation
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Rich is a great guy.

G.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#12]
cj3waker: looks very much like a tube I have from the same year, do you know what that little potentiometer does?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no idea man, I've never so much as looked through night vision
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]
okay, thanks anyway.. maybe someone else on here knows what it does..?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
okay, thanks anyway.. maybe someone else on here knows what it does..?
View Quote

All the people here that will know what it is are probably at the shot show this week.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#16]
oh yea.. the shot show.. ofcourse, I didn't think about that..
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Disregard, question was answered already on tube ID, I didn't get enough coffee in me this morning, sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top