Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 6:34:51 PM EDT
I’ve been thinking about making the plunge into a dual tube system for a while now and would like some info/advice on how big of an improvement (depth perception/FOV) I would expect to see going from a single PVS14 system to maybe a TNV/Sentinel setup.

I have also considered going the thermal route with a really nice clip-on system that could pull double duty as a handheld unit but I am torn on whether I should go thermal or upgrade to a dual system. I’m sure that there are quite a few folks here that have agonized over the same thing. For those that have gone one way or the other do you have any regrets?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Get both.

That is all.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL yeah, I knew that was coming...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermal.

'Cuz I say so.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get both.

That is all.
View Quote

Came here to post this....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
A small minority (like me) does not consider dual tubes to be an "upgrade", and they will do nothing to improve the field of view; in fact, they tend to reduce peripheral vision.  Thermal and I^2 are complimentary technologies, and with both you will have enhanced versatility.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have anvis9,  and wish I could transition between the thermal scope and nvg without having to flip them up and down contiuously. I am putting together a pvs14 now and the anvis will be sitting in the back of the safe . I am thinking that running the pvs14 on my non dominant eye and being able to shoot with the thermal scope without flipping everything around will be as close to ideal as I can get. Once you see the big advantage of thermal you will never want to go back to nvg only. I sold my first thermal with the intention of buying one of the new scopes. I didnt realize they were pre order only at the time. I was without thermal for a month waiting for the scope. Hunting during that time without thermal was just not the same. So I say get a thermal. Dual tube is great for driving, riding a mountain bike, ATV, etc, but not necessarily a more successful hunt like a thermal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a PVS14 already, your next move should be thermal.  For detection it is an absolute game changer.  In your shoes I'd do the 35mm thermal Vic recommended.

Also, I have and like my dual system (Sentinel).  It is my first out system now.  The eye strain is MUCH lower than my PVS14.  I do give up some peripheral vision in exchange, but over longer periods of time my head thanks me for it.  Thus, the end point answer is get both.

PVS14 --> Thermal --> Dual I2
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks much,

How well would the IRD Hunter MK II work as a standalone thermal monocular?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How well would the IRD Hunter MK II work as a standalone thermal monocular?
View Quote

It would "work" but not very well. I'd get an x320 or HD19s. A big, honkin' scope like that is unwieldy at best.

If you want to go higher-end for a monocular, get an Insight MTM or a FLIR M18 (or track down some Unobtanium).
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
What's your budget for thermal?  That's what you need.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been slowly building myself up to budget around a T50 to T70 range thermal, but I was originally looking to get into a dual NVG system. With some of the suggestions here I am now leaning more toward a thermal unit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]
If I were you I'd go thermal over dual NVGs.  Thermal changes the whole equation in your favor.  If you are looking at higher end thermal devices, you should look into the L3/Insight LWTS unit as one of your options.  Check out my thread if you wind up considering that unit.  I couldn't be happier w/ the unit and it works great as a handheld as well.  It has an incredible picture and a nice large FOV.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:41:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been slowly building myself up to budget around a T50 to T70 range thermal, but I was originally looking to get into a dual NVG system. With some of the suggestions here I am now leaning more toward a thermal unit.
View Quote

I'll bet if you asked nicely CTM1 would let you steal his FLIR T50 for a song. Don't ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll bet if you asked nicely CTM1 would let you steal his FLIR T50 for a song. Don't ask me how I know.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point I am not sure that I would part with it as I just flat out like looking at it and fondling it.  
Now if there was only a way to hang laundry off of it like my treadmill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top