Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering when SOMEONE was going to do this. The UTM has been out for years, and the ability to run it in any configuration is what set it apart from everything else out there. Now that there is a consumer variant this should be the first stop on everyone's thermal list.

I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Any idea how much lighter it will be after the extra machining?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea of these being versatile, however it appears that if your buy the $5000 version it can neither be helmet mounted or or weapon mounted.  Is this correct or do they plan to revise the offering so the cheaper model can do more than just function as a hand held?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
This is an EPIC device in the consumer market space.

My biggest "gripe" would be the Digital Focus Control (DFC). I really wish they'd have at least the option for manual focus. Of course, a 19mm lens and tiny sensor pitch should provide a substantial DOF.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My biggest "gripe" would be the Digital Focus Control (DFC). I really wish they'd have at least the option for manual focus. Of course, a 19mm lens and tiny sensor pitch should provide a substantial DOF.
View Quote

That's what the specs say.  Vic said manual focus front and rear.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
excited to try this out with my mod armory mount and a PVS14.......

Hopefully the dovetail is mounted a similar length from the rear lense as a PVS would be with a DDA or a MA bridge adapter.......
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like ill cross the m18 off the list. This looks like a really great option, and for half the price holy cow.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like it could really benefit from a remote battery pack for helmet mounting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is the DFC would provide additional sharpness and edge resolution/contrast since this unit supposedly has an objective Manual focus as well as a diopter focus.  Deciding whether to pre order now or see if they have a SHOT special on pricing. Hey Horta are you going to the SHOT show?  Maybe I can have someone pick me one up.  Assuming of course If I can sell my 7 thermal cams before then!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know when they plan to start shipping?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
After seeing CTM1's and Horta's experiments with thermal monoculars and PVS-14's/ PSQ-20's, I'm really curious how this unit will work dual tube config with a PVS-14.

I'll wait and see the reviews and what the final product can do, but if it works out I'll definitely show my local PD this for that kind of price.  I'm liking the M-250 so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
So if you want helmet mountable, the 250 is the minimum. If you want the option for clip on, and in-unit reticles, you need the 300.

Is this correct?

Can the "base" 300 be adapted after the fact to helmet or weapon mount?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#20]
TNVC - How does this new monocular compare to the LS64 with the led display, 35mm lens, and 17um core?  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not a polymer housing?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
TNVC - How does this new monocular compare to the LS64 with the led display, 35mm lens, and 17um core?  

View Quote

I'd fairly confidently wager to say that it would eat the LS64 for breakfast and ask for seconds.  I think they are in totally different ballparks as far as performance, value, features, etc.  this IR Patrol device is more in the realm of competition to the highest end Flir M18 monoculars which cost roughly double or more. Not to say Flir has bad products but they have had a virtual monopoly on the consumer monocular and scope market for quite a while and I think this unit may Be a game changer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, IR Defense is seriously rocking the thermal world right now!  These new patrol models are oozing with features, performance and quality.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

They probably didn't want to front the cost of expensive injection mold tools being a relatively new company (you'd probably be talking at least $50-$100k+ in tooling).  Going with a machined aluminum housing is more expensive per part, but they can readily adapt and evolve the design as needed or due to unforeseen circumstances, however to modify a injection mold would be incredibly more expensive.  I think the anodized aluminum also makes for a nice expensive look and feel..
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.   Color me impressed
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Heck, I bet skypup is even secretly considering buying one of these units.  Though I don't know if he would ever admit it
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
OLED displays are also IMHO far superior to LCD displays.  Most higher end L3, BAE, and even FLIR equipment use OLED screens.

Edit:  I guess the LS-64 has OLED too...
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good question.

This was and is the biggest weakness of the PVS-14...It's housing.  NOT going to get into the recoil debate of this or that, but I have reported over several years 2 housings broke on .308's. We've seen all the marketing tricks with metal lens locking rings, etc but the housing on the PVS-14 are VERY thin plastic and should only be used on guns 6.8SPC and below (L3 Omni 8 tubes). The IR Patrol has to perform multiple duties, and this includes true weapon mounting on .308 guns and has to take the rigors of shock along with a multitude of other scenarios.  Along with outstanding performance, it has to survive it's versatility of function in many scenarios and a machined aluminum housing gives it the best opportunity to survive that test of time!

Hope this helps.

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.

This was and is the biggest weakness of the PVS-14...It's housing.  NOT going to get into the recoil debate of this or that, but I have reported over several years 2 housings broke on .308's. We've seen all the marketing tricks with metal lens locking rings, etc but the housing on the PVS-14 are VERY thin plastic and should only be used on guns 6.8SPC and below (L3 Omni 8 tubes). The IR Patrol has to perform multiple duties, and this includes true weapon mounting on .308 guns and has to take the rigors of shock along with a multitude of other scenarios.  Along with outstanding performance, it has to survive it's versatility of function in many scenarios and a machined aluminum housing gives it the best opportunity to survive that test of time!

Hope this helps.

Vic

Sell every unit with a suppressor.  Recoil problem solved!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]
For the clip-on capable models, will they do ok with 4x magnification?  This looks promising.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I can't wait to see video from all of these monoculars along with a demo of all the features and modes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw it posted on SSD this morning.
http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/24/tnvc-ir-defense-corporation-ir-patrol-thermal-monoculars/

If i had a need (or cash) for a thermal is definitely get one of these. I'm just waiting for prices to keep coming down in these types of units. I wish I2 was on the same curve.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Have an IR Hunter Mk II 35mm on order for hog hunting, but now very torn between sticking with it or getting the IR Patrol M300W instead.

Ideally would like to be able to quickly switch between monocular/clip-on weapon sight, and being able to keep my existing EoTech EXPS3-2 mounted would be an added bonus (not sure if the M300W w/ Wilcox mount would be the correct height? -the EXPS3 series are 7mm higher than the regular EoTechs due to the QR mount). I know the IR Hunter Mk II would not work with my Eotech.

Downside of the Patrol would be that I would lose the magnification of the Mk II's 35mm lens for longer-range shots (I'm guessing keeping my Vortex VMX-3T flip-down magnifier mounted behind my Eotech wouldn't work either). Curious to see how easy/fast it is to clip on/off the Patrol vs the Hunter Mk II.

Hrrrmmmm. Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions to tip me in either direction are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Have an IR Hunter Mk II 35mm on order for hog hunting, but now very torn between sticking with it or getting the IR Patrol M300W instead.

Ideally would like to be able to quickly switch between monocular/clip-on weapon sight, and being able to keep my existing EoTech EXPS3-2 mounted would be an added bonus (not sure if the M300W w/ Wilcox mount would be the correct height? -the EXPS3 series are 7mm higher than the regular EoTechs due to the QR mount). I know the IR Hunter Mk II would not work with my Eotech.

Downside of the Patrol would be that I would lose the magnification of the Mk II's 35mm lens for longer-range shots (I'm guessing keeping my Vortex VMX-3T flip-down magnifier mounted behind my Eotech wouldn't work either). Curious to see how easy/fast it is to clip on/off the Patrol vs the Hunter Mk II.

Hrrrmmmm. Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions to tip me in either direction are welcome.
View Quote

I am of the mind set that the IR Patrol is going to shine in the main role it was designed for (a handheld/helmet mounted viewer). Switching optics in the dark under hunting conditions is not ideal.

The ideal set up I have found would be a 640 handheld for spotting, PVS-14 for general observation and nav, PVS-22 for positive ID and shooting, ir laser for shooting and pointing targets for hunting partners.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in the same boat.   I'm going to stick with the IR hunter 35mm.  Having looked through a handheld unit, I belive my best bet is the IR hunter 35. I can scan the horizon with it.  My main means of walking will be with a pair of pvs-14s.  Dave at IR defense spoke with me and said that he rigs up his IR hunter on a handle with picatinny rail.  That way, he uses it as a handheld unit.    My frustration of using a pulsar HD38a, is that it's ok for scanning, but you can't walk around with it on you eye.  Just too awkward.   That's just my opinion.  Having not used the patrol, I bet it's better in clarity.  I think I'll be happy with just the IR hunter MkII
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Heck, I bet skypup is even secretly considering buying one of these units.  Though I don't know if he would ever admit it
View Quote

I'm still waiting on my FLIR GS M-24 for helmet mount, but this looks very good indeed, what is the FOV on it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else but TheHorta and I thinking of this:  buy 2 of the helmet mounted version and configure for binocular operation. You would only then be up around the cost of a single Flir M18
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm still waiting on my FLIR GS M-24 for helmet mount, but this looks very good indeed, what is the FOV on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FOV is apparently 22 degrees and right at about 1x magnification.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Yea, there's a few configs I can think of, but curious to see if they would actually work.

Head mount options:

Dual IR Patrols =  probably the highest resolution stereo thermal view we could get as civvies.  And as Horta discovered, one unit could be in White Hot or Black Hot, the other in outline mode for various applications.

One IR Patrol + PVS-14 = a sort of fusion system, especially with the IR patrol in outline mode

Really curious about how it might actually work out.

So, when are they going to make a 640x480 thermal clip on for our PVS-14's?
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#42]
It would really be slick if they threaded the ocular for the future possibility of adding an extender lens....  That would be icing on the cake and it wouldn't add much if any manufacturing cost to the unit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone else but TheHorta and I thinking of this:  buy 2 of the helmet mounted version and configure for binocular operation. You would only then be up around the cost of a single Flir M18
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Been there, done that. Asked for pricing on this a couple of days ago.

How much is a dual unit going to cost me?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/437366_IR_Patrol_Thermal_Monocular_Reviews_and_Updates_and_Images.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#48]
So, how much is the aftermarket mounting hardware you mentioned, OP - should one go with the base model Patrol monocular?

I can't afford one right now, regardless. But, it'd sure be something I'd save for - at least, if it all didn't approach the price of the $7K model that is.

If it does, I'll just need to get by with my PVS-14/EOTech combo (and convince myself I'm happy about it!).  

*You guys are sure making some impressive stuff!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#50]
That is Super!
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top